Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Togo's Planar Adventure set partly in Sigil (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    EDIT: Aaaand ninja'ed I'm thinking about doing two separate links to share the happiness, and linking Umbriel with Saffron just because Saffron might (?) be more willing than Godot to come stand next to trapped doors with me and give me assists on Disable Device checks, but I'm happy to shift the pairings around if that makes more sense. Gotta go now, but will be back later.
    *Laughing* Fair enough. Although Godot actually has ranks (well, rank, but with Bardic Knack, aid another becomes an auto-succeed) in Disable Device, and so might be a more useful buddy in such things.

Frankly, though, at this level, most traps seem to either be speed bumps or major puzzles. A trapped door is often more safely dealt with using a disintegrate than a high skill check.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I don't know that I have much use for bonuses to the Int-based skills anyway, so if you want to cast it on Godot, that's fine with me.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sup, dudes and dudettes. My appologizes for lack of posting. There's been crazy stuff. Finishing up Driver's Ed, finals coming soon, etc.
    But, I'm here now! And ready for the beating of inter-planar...

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar
    As noted in the recruitment thread, Godot has the vow of nonviolence feat.
    ...Oh. Okay then. Yeah, Simon can handle that. Just, keep an eye around anything Undead and/or Evil Outsider-ish. They make him rather angry.
    Autopsibiofeeder already got my sheet, so I'll re-post Background stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ďNow those memories come back to haunt me. They haunt me like a curse.Ē -Bruce Springsteen

ďThey say that Darkstone can twist a personís thoughts, eat a personís mind, pull at a manís soul. They say that Darkstone is the essence of evil bound to rock. But we know better. We know what Darkstone does. It is a depository, nothing more.
    So, what would happen, if we were to use that depository, and give it life? Force a soul within it, and give the soul control. It would be the ultimate warrior. A warriorís soul, within a body of stone.
    They would be unstoppable.Ē -Father Carlos, in his treatise on the production of Darkstone Adepts.

5 Elements
    1) Cleric of Heironeous, one of the ones who goes out and smashes evil into the dust.

2) Very protective of his companions, to the point of sacrificing himself for their sake.

3) Agreed to an experimental procedure, wherein his soul would be bound to a Darkstone statue of himself, to afford better defenses in the fight against evil.

4) Experiment went awry, and Simon was placed in a deep sleep for a very long time.

5) Upon waking, the temple to Heironeous had been abandoned, the artifacts left within. Simon took up the weapons and magic items he could find, and left to do battle once more. He made his way to Sigil, the City at the Center of the Realms, to be in a better place to seek out evil-doers.

2 Goals
    1) Simon, in addition to fulfilling the orders of Heironeous, wishes to figure out what exactly happened to his brothers.

2) Simon needs to come to terms with the fact that his friends are probably dead. In fact, they almost certainly are. Itís been a very long time.

2 Secrets
    1) (Known)Simon knows that the Darkstone material, while excellent for the storage of souls, is also not exactly a good thing. Itís actually a special stone from the Plane of Gehenna, which means its very essence is stained with evil. Simonís not exactly sure what that will entail for him and those around him, but heís sure its not good.

2) (Unknown)Simon Shadowstalker is not actually the Simon he remembers. Sort of. You see, the Darkstone the temple of Heironeous had obtained already had a soul within it. The residentís soul has not been determined, but Simonís soul was lost in the ritual. Instead, the remnants of his mind were imprinted upon the soul which was already residing within the stone. No magic thus far has managed to cure this, but if such a spell were devised, the results could be disastrous.

3 People
    1) Rachel Stargazer-
    A bar-maid in the Boarís Head tavern in Sigil, Rachel is a Zenythri, one of those oddly Lawful-Aligned almost humans. Rachel and Simon maintain a friendship full of biting sarcasm and clever come-backs, but she would always come to Simonís aid in a pinch. She has a minor bit of magic, and is very proficient in the use of a bottle as a weapon.

2) Micheal Wrathmaker
    Micheal is a cleric of Hextor. Thatís about all that needs to be said here. Simon and Micheal realize they could never defeat each other in a head-on battle. So, they maintain a non-aggression pact. As long as they stay on their sides of the city, and Micheal doesnít do too much evil, they stay out of each otherís way. But both plot to find a way to wipe the other from existence. Micheal is a vampire.

3) Ezekiel
    The man known only as Ezekiel has followed Simon since his transformation. The robed watcher always carries a notebook with him, and an ever-moving pen writes as its master watches. He never interferes, he never speaks. Occasionally, he motions. Strangely, Ezekiel does not show himself to many other people besides Simon. Whenever Simon goes to show someone the man, Ezekiel has disappeared.

3 Memories
    1) Simon remembers his first steps outside after awaking. It was a deeply disturbing event. Simonís new body prevents him from really feeling sensations of touch. That was the second time Simon wept in his life.

2) The first time Simon wept was early in his career as a crusader in the name of Heironeous. He was working with one of his brothers, George. They were exterminating a nest of undead. George was taken by a vampire. Simon could do nothing to save George. By the time Simon found them, George was a Spawn. Simon did what he had too. Simon never worked along side his brothers in the crusades again.

3) Simon hates what heís become, and what he fears he will become. He feels that his humanity is slowly slipping away from him. As such, he makes every effort to appear as human as possible. Sadly, this just makes him seems awkward. When he accidentally sticks his hand in a fire, it stays there until he realizes that his hand should be burning, when he quickly pulls it back. Stuff like that. Itís just sad, really.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Togo: Just a quick clarification: are all of us looking for the gate to Sigil? Should we assume that none of us currently possess the means to get there?
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Togo, would you be okay with making this specific to humanoids/monstrous humanoids? Voluntarily, Godot's going to be trying not to kill anybody, but being able to loosen the strictures on golems, undead, illithid, etc would be a big help.
    Yes, mechanically it applies to humanoids and monstrous humanoids. The mechanics are quite harsh enough already.

Golems aren't alive. Mindless undead aren't alive. Intelligent undead technically aren't, but may try to convince you otherwise.

Whether you can sucessfully reconcile preserving the life of humanoids, and killing anything extraplanar or funny-looking out of hand is another question of course , but it's a role-playing question for you, not a mechanics question for the feat.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Togo: Just a quick clarification: are all of us looking for the gate to Sigil? Should we assume that none of us currently possess the means to get there?
    Yes. The only known way to get into or out of Sigil is through a portal. If something else would work, you don't know about it. By reputation, planar travel, wish and similar and even direct divine intervention don't work, although you'd have to wonder if anyone has ever really tried.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    Yes. The only known way to get into or out of Sigil is through a portal. If something else would work, you don't know about it. By reputation, planar travel, wish and similar and even direct divine intervention don't work, although you'd have to wonder if anyone has ever really tried.
    So, while we may know of other portals, they're nowhere near where we are right now, or they're guarded by people less friendly than the Athar...would that be a fair assessment?
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Spod has it right.
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Obrysii, do I know you are a dragon? Have you been open about that? I have been for sure open, proud as I am, about my heritage and consider myself a dragon as well....or at least as close as one can get. You will for sure have noticed it.

It would make quite a difference if I knew that about you or not when it comes to my attitude towards you (which is positive either way, of course). Did you tell the group at large? Did you inform me?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I'm a little confused on that as well. Especially since the name being used to refer to the character has switched back and forth between Androse and Xiuhcoatl.

I'd prefer that if we don't all know that he's a dragon that we avoid mentioning it in casual description or using his dragon name. It'll just make things easier to keep straight.
    Spod has it right.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Aye. What made me wonder for real was Godot's remark, as he called us 'retinue'. I loved it in one sense that that is quite what I would do as a bard. However, Derk would be willing to pose as a retinue of a Gold Dragon but being the retinue of someone claiming to be some prince of something would sting his pride a bit.

Just as Xiuhcoatl was flattered by the event due to his pride, Derk has his pride as well .

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Godot was just playing with the fact that 'Androse' spoke up first, and presents in a grand manner. I was NOT assuming that we'd know that he's a gold dragon, although passive spot checks, scent (as already alluded to IC) etc make long-term disguises actually quite difficult in D&D.

It was also a way to avoid the tiresome 'and these are seven posts of us each introducing ourselves' round.

Whether Derk is or is not offended by her not-entirely-serious presentation, I doubt that there's anyway Godot would know he'd be miffed. So now Derk gets to be miffed and correct the situation, or just go along with it, as you see fit.

12. - Top - End - #42

Beholder

Would it be inappropriate that I want this to happen with "Prince" Androse when they get to Sigil?

He does have a marble elephant..
    Pointing out hypocrisy is not disrespect.

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Godot was just playing with the fact that 'Androse' spoke up first, and presents in a grand manner. I was NOT assuming that we'd know that he's a gold dragon, although passive spot checks, scent (as already alluded to IC) etc make long-term disguises actually quite difficult in D&D.

It was also a way to avoid the tiresome 'and these are seven posts of us each introducing ourselves' round.

Whether Derk is or is not offended by her not-entirely-serious presentation, I doubt that there's anyway Godot would know he'd be miffed. So now Derk gets to be miffed and correct the situation, or just go along with it, as you see fit.
    I totally agree with you. I even liked the way you handled it, but knowing about the golden dragon just alters the way Derk views it, mostly because the whole dragon thing means a lot to him. So, that's it, basically. Derk may be miffed, but he wouldn't act on it right now...in the end he is a gentleman at heart. It is just that this subtle detail means a lot to him, so that is why I was wondering . It had not much to do with Godot's action per se, he just triggered it.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    Would it be inappropriate that I want this to happen with "Prince" Androse when they get to Sigil?

He does have a marble elephant..
    Androse certainly has the wealth to pull that, as do any other level 15 adventurer.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-06-07 at 06:26 PM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    So, while we may know of other portals, they're nowhere near where we are right now, or they're guarded by people less friendly than the Athar...would that be a fair assessment?
    Sure. You know of a few others. There's a fairly well-known one in the first circle of Hell, for example. There are several on the Astral that are well known, but finding them would take a while. There's one in the City of Brass, but they charge a lot for using it, usually in the form of personal servitude. There are probably at least a hundred or more, but it's a big universe, they're not generally in convenient locations, and most aren't well known.

The nearest likely one is in Bedlam, the city that forms a gateway to Pandemonium. There's reputed to one in the Correctional College there. So you could travel to Bedlam (a few days to just under two weeks), and then try and break into a madhouse run by fiends. Going to an inn with decent wine and having to listen to philosophy for up to an hour sounded like the better choice at the time.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-06-07 at 06:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    He certainly has the wealth to pull that, as any other level 15 adventurer can.
    You guys are important people. You have the capability to create a parade because you're important enough to have parades. Granted there is always someone more important out there than you are, like Jasmine and Jafar, but if they don't bother to get the elephants and golden camels, that's their look out.

The most obvious problem with the scenario is that there isn't really a palace to go to in Sigil. You could parade around, but there isn't an obvious destination. Might be an idea if you ever end up visiting someone you want to impress though.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-06-07 at 06:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Umbriel is quite pleased with the "retinue" cover, it means she doesn't need to come up with a lie as to what she's actually doing Similarly, while Umbriel herself would not be parading, she would be very happy to assist others in a parade that would draw attention to them and away from her

Right at the moment though, she's more interested in this planar rift business. Togo, in case you missed it, I've been rolling Knowledge (The Planes) and Spellcraft checks in my spoilerblocks in the IC thread: I also have Arcane Sight up now, looking for magic in the area or on our new friends.

With Share Talents, let's just do a link between Umbriel and Godot for the moment, but Cespenar, Saffron (or anyone else), do let me know if you'd like to set up a link as well. Remember it's +2 to all your trained skills, you don't actually need to have a synergistic link-partner to benefit, although of course it helps

EDIT: I'm not sure if Umbriel is close enough to hear any of this conversation: if yes, are there any Knowledge checks I should be making for the various names?
    Last edited by Ifni; 2011-06-07 at 06:49 PM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

The most obvious problem with the scenario is that there isn't really a palace to go to in Sigil. You could parade around, but there isn't an obvious destination.
    That's their new tourist slogan right there:

Sigil, the City Where the Parades Never Stop!*

* Because our city is on the inside of a donut.
    Spod has it right.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuk View Post
    Togo, thanks for having given my submission a place in the game, but I think it may be best if I drop out now. I'm already in a few other games and I'm finding my free time limited at the moment. Apart from the two IC samples with Dime, I never got around to formalizing the background, so Belze seems kind of distant at the moment.

Still, it looks like you have a good sized party as is, so good luck guys.
    So, does this mean I can join?
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Our Great Imperator GuesssWho, in her Overly Sibilant Might . . . (Wow. I did not know I was that cool.)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Hey, Obrysii, I was talking to myself and I'm nowhere near you or the humans. I'm sneaking around a quarter mile away, investigating the planar breach. Not only shouldn't you have heard me, but since I'm hidden-in-plain-sight, talking directly to me will make it seem like you're talking to yourself, since none of the humans even know I exist yet. Any chance you can edit your post to reflect that?

Frankly, unless you can beat a Hide check of 55 (and blindsight doesn't work against me), you shouldn't know where I am right now.
    Last edited by SPoD; 2011-06-08 at 12:00 PM.
    Spod has it right.

21. - Top - End - #51

Beholder

....I made a mistake. Sorry?

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

....I made a mistake. Sorry?
    It's cool. I'm not upset, I just wanted to fix it before the NPCs start talking to me, thus ruining my opportunity for sneaking around.
    Spod has it right.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    Obrysii, do I know you are a dragon? Have you been open about that? I have been for sure open, proud as I am, about my heritage and consider myself a dragon as well....or at least as close as one can get. You will for sure have noticed it.

It would make quite a difference if I knew that about you or not when it comes to my attitude towards you (which is positive either way, of course). Did you tell the group at large? Did you inform me?
    We still haven't resolved this issue, I think? ... or have we?

24. - Top - End - #54

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    We still haven't resolved this issue, I think? ... or have we?
    No, we have. I deleted the part dealing with his character.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, I'm especially dense today. Does that mean that we DO know that you're a gold dragon, or that we don't know?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by GuesssWho View Post
    So, does this mean I can join?
    I don't see why not. I'm assuming you don't normally go around looking like a tentacle nightmare? It might be worth working out with these guys what they've seen of you thus far.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

No, we have. I deleted the part dealing with his character.
    He meant the issue with whether or not you've told us that you're a gold dragon.

Also, I'm a woman.
    Spod has it right.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Togo, Re: my IC spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    How far above where they are standing for the garlic sausage smell? Like, within reach, or do I need to fly? If I need to fly, would it be fair to say that the portal is where it would be if it had been on the second or third floor of the inn?
    Spod has it right.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    He meant the issue with whether or not you've told us that you're a gold dragon.
    Aye .

I have a two day conference coming up now, so I won't be posting untill friday 5pm-ish (Paris time).
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2011-06-09 at 01:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

I don't see why not. I'm assuming you don't normally go around looking like a tentacle nightmare? It might be worth working out with these guys what they've seen of you thus far.
    Yeah, she wears robes that hide her tentacles and gills and keeps her extra eyes closed. They might have seen her tail, though, that's pretty hard to hide. Not that it's that unusual, with a group like this.

And she will speak in . . . Lime.
    Last edited by GuesssWho; 2011-06-09 at 04:43 AM.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Our Great Imperator GuesssWho, in her Overly Sibilant Might . . . (Wow. I did not know I was that cool.)