Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Togo's Planar Adventure set partly in Sigil (OOC)

Well, that is just awesome, Togo. And Ifni, I was thinking somewhat along that direction, but was not nearly as far along that line. I take my hat off to both of you .

While I am enjoying this, I must warn you that Derk is about to be so horribly confused that he is going to need your help badly. Don't expect a sensible contribution from him in the near future .
    No PbP posting during the Easter weekend (Fri-Mon)

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Bravo, Ifni. I have no idea if that's right, but it's an entertaining theory, and a fun avenue to explore.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, what?

*reads Ifni's theories*

*drops coffee mug*

What game have I been playing?!
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-12-01 at 02:43 AM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Wait, what?

*reads Ifni's theories*

*drops coffee mug*

What game have I been playing?!
    Here's a towel, I used it to clean the yoghurt I dropped. The other side is still clean.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    Here's a towel, I used it to clean the yoghurt I dropped. The other side is still clean.
    Well, if there's a towel at the ready, then things could have been worse, I guess.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

Aww, you make me blush But yeah, we'll presumably find out down the track if any of this is right - just the Ahsile/Elisha thing hit me like a lead brick this evening, and then that whole scene with Illusion Girl suddenly assumed so much more importance and made so much more sense (at least, to my mildly sleep-deprived self).

(I figure I can put this outside spoilers, since Umbriel is certainly going to bring up Ahsile/Elisha IC sooner rather than later.)

And Umbriel will be happy to help Derk sort things out, albeit possibly with Very Small Words and a snarky comment or two on Charisma-based spellcasting
    Last edited by Ifni; 2011-12-01 at 08:59 AM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ak, you guys! Flattery will get you everywhere...

Umbriel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some spells that have jade as a focus or material component:

shapechange
    permenant image
    programmed image
    False image
    false vision

I don't actually know if there are many more (probably, but there's no way for me to look it up!) However, you could easily conclude that jade tends to be used for illusion and transformation magic.

Ahsile is a minor goddess of Vanity and Illusion. Most of her stories involve her either distracting someone, typically male characters, with unearthly beauty, or using illusions in some way - to disguise herself, to create illusionary doubles, or to hide away cities, mountain ranges, and even one of the moons. In most stories she is portrayed as carrying out other people's plans rather than following her own, giggling a lot, and being easily distracted. She is supposed to have died about 10 years ago at the hands of Cyric. The Cyric and Ahsile story you have is about 20 years old.

The Mystrean Heresy is about the origin of magic. Noone really fully understands how it is that magic works, or even if all magic comes from the same place. The most popular theory at the moment is that arcane magic is a way of tapping into cosmic energies flowing across the planes, while divine magic is somehow the result of creating an idea into which magic will flow, and using that to change the universe.

The Mystrean Heresy is one of the 'overgod' theories, that state that the gods themselves are beholden to an even higher group of beings that govern them as people are governed by gods, and it is this being or beings who somehow are or represent magic. The most popular form of this heresy is the worship of Mystra, an overdeity of magic itself, who controls the structure of all magic through something called the Weave. Another example would include Worship of 'The Serpant', a being of pure magic whose cults popped up in Greyhawk. Various powerful wizards have claimed to owe their powers to such entities,

It's less a heresy per se as it is a school of thought within arcane studies. Since it implies that all study of magic will only ever uncover a fraction of the truth that would be revealed by worship of the right entities, it's widely regarded as fradulent nonsense by almost all academics everywhere. It's particularly disliked by academics who also worship a deity of magic - one irreduccible consequence would be that deities such Wee Jas are basically frauds, since such a deity could only ever be a go-between between their followers and the real sources of magic.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-12-01 at 01:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, wait. Ifni, you may have already mentioned this and I might have missed it, but I just realized something when reading your theories.

"The titles don't tell you what you need to know, it's not just the first word that's important. You have to read the actual (oof) book."

Taking the inverse meaning of that, and looking at the first words of her choice of books:

"Help, I'm trapped in Cyric's shrine."
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-12-01 at 01:34 PM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

*Goes to double-check.*

*Returns. Blinks. Hands Cespenar a cookie.*
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ettin in the Playground

Very nice catch! No, I didn't spot that, I was trying to read deeper meanings into the book titles
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ettin in the Playground

Seems that a dose of Ifni's Ifni and Togo's awesome opens one's mind to things.

Also, I thought about making a Baldur's Gate pun about cookies and Cespenar, but I'm afraid no one would get it.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-12-01 at 02:28 PM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, some of us are in fact that old. Or possibly older.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, it would be nice if that was an issue only related with age, but alas...
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, Baldur's Gate, now I know why the name Cespenar was familiar That game was my introduction to D&D, which led to considerable hilarity at my expense when I showed up at my first RL game (right after the start of 3.5) and asked someone how to calculate THAC0. My favorite character was a mage who led a charmed life from the very beginning, somehow managing to crit a certain early-game mage with her sling and kill him before he could cast any Magic Missiles at her and her 6 HP Amusingly given current events in this game, she was an Illusionist

Anyway, getting back to the story... there's actually another book at the start of the list.

Debunking
    Help
    IM
    A
    Prisoner
    In
    Cyric's
    Shrine

Then again, she was reading the first one before we got there, so maybe only the later ones are meant as a message to us - but you could also read this as debunking the theory that she's a prisoner, she came to talk to us after all!

(I prefer the theory that "Debunking" is irrelevant and the latter titles hold the clue, though - it works better with "Help" at the beginning.)

And I just realized Togo posted and it wasn't showing up in my subscriptions - Umbriel just spilled a lot of beans, and hopefully provided an opportunity for Rhion to show off his extreme cleverness
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    Then again, she was reading the first one before we got there, so maybe only the later ones are meant as a message to us
    I ignored the first word thinking of exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    And I just realized Togo posted and it wasn't showing up in my subscriptions - Umbriel just spilled a lot of beans, and hopefully provided an opportunity for Rhion to show off his extreme cleverness
    Heh, thanks. Though it's less cleverness and more a case of initiated perceptivity (yay for making up terms). On Rhion's part, I mean.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-12-02 at 01:23 AM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

The IC is being glitchy, for me at least; there are two posts (Sthrer and Umbriel) that aren't showing up unless I hit "reply". Just a note to avoid confusion, since both the last post that's showing (for me) and the true last post were by me, but they're not the same.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #617
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Once again, I'm lost and unable to contribute. Sorry.

I really don't know what, if anything, I can add to the story - I can barely follow the story. With how hectic my work schedule is these days...I don't know. It's too much.
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2011-12-03 at 07:40 PM.
    Pointing out hypocrisy is not disrespect.

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    Once again, I'm lost and unable to contribute. Sorry.

I really don't know what, if anything, I can add to the story - I can barely follow the story. With how hectic my work schedule is these days...I don't know. It's too much.
    You don't have to contribute much at this point, really, Obrysii. It's a conversation, and six people all joining simultaneously to blurt out their own things isn't how usually a conversation works anyway. If you feel losing your grip on the storyline, Ifni's earlier OOC posts about her theorycraft are quite an eye-opener on that subject.

Besides that, I am having Rhion shut up and simply watch the show as well (except for a small moment which passed), so you're not alone on this one.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-12-04 at 03:42 AM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

I think Cespenar said it well. I hope that work settles out for you, Obrysii, and that you don't give up on us.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ettin in the Playground

+1.

Hmm, I just noticed something odd - posts 625 and 631 look the same to me, and I'm pretty sure post 625 used to have different information, about the plan to storm the temple of Cyric in Sigil Is this a problem for anyone else? (if it's not, could you maybe repost 625 in a spoiler in the OOC? There were some things I wanted to check in it, regarding the current progress of their war.)

More notes to support future theorycrafting, on the various factions / relevant people:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Chaldecott Faction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Key people:
    Astoria - Duchess of Pardale and Warlord of Chaldecott; Elisha appeared in her mirror and offered her aid against the demonic invasion.
    Kalinor - runs the trade guild in Chaldecott, worked with the Athars(?) in the invasion of Chaldecott on the understanding that he'd be put in charge there, was captured after their defeat.
    Uzark - mage of the Light, i.e. "divination, summoning, anything to do with the planes, the heavens or the stars". He has L6 arcane spells. Described by Lycanthe as a demonologist from a tribe near the Monkey's Spiral (here). Native language is a "debased form of Infernal".
    Spoiler
    Show
    He wanted to talk to Umbriel:
    Useful. I am staying at the compound. I am having problem, need opinion. You come by, we talk.
    Nephira - mage of the Dark, i.e. "mind magic, illusion, necromancy, that kind of thing" (anything not elemental or Light). She has L6 arcane spells.
    Potentially-important quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Talk? About what? I mean, unless... Sigil's a big place, you know. There's plenty you could doing that would keep you busy enough that you'd never need to come back, ever again.

A brief glimmer of hope flickers across her face, but it's clear from her flat and toneless voice that she doesn't really believe it.

Look, I know you don't have any reason to trust me. I'm working on that. Just... be careful out there, will you? Kalinor may be crossing some powerful people, and it's important that you don't get broken.
    I've not... told you everything. Nor you to me. I think I've been pretty straight with you, but you may not agree, and I very much want you to trust me.
    I think that, if you stay working with Kalinor, you would stand an excellent chance of finding the mirror.

I also think that it would be better for everyone if the mirror was never found.

The only other thing is... Kalinor is not always honest. It makes it hard for me. Not big things, I think, but in the details. To make himself look better. Maybe he doesn't even really think about it, I don't know. I don't know if these details are important to you, or if that's just how everyone talks, but I can't, I can't say. I think he checks, magically I mean, to see whether people have turned on him, said things about him. I haven't, I've been very careful, and I need him to keeping on trusting me.

She's quiet for a second.

I'm sorry, I'm not very good at this. I've spent my whole life until very recently working in secret, with people I can trust absolutely. Now I'm working with people I don't know, from strange otherworldly dimensions, in a strange otherworldly place, and a careless word in even a friendly ear could spell disaster for everyone.

She looks up.

If I find out something that would help you, I may not be able tell you. But I can arrange for you to discover the same thing yourself. Would that be useful?

She shakes her head gravely.

Other than that I don't think I can really help. I want to help. I need to end up working with you, trusting you.
    The scrying connection is quite simple. Nephira set it up for us, once we had the basic principles sorted out. Open a gate to... I think it's to somewhere in the astral, stick a mirror through the gate, and then we both scry the mirror.
    This may be suspicious given that the earlier planar rip came from the astral and the Iron Tower is based on the astral. Ask Nephira where exactly the gate goes?
    Known goals:
    -Rescue Elisha from Cyric.
    -Invade the Monkey's Spiral, currently held by Demogorgon.

The Children of Korolis:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Key people:
    -Caspar, the leader of the group looking for the mirror, a Son of Korolis - "more to do with twisting the laws of the universe and corrupting them to his will. So, magic, basically."
    -Lycanthe, their agent in Sigil, a Daughter of Korolis. We have a tentative non-interference deal with her. She's staying at the Brassy Oak, an inn at the end of the Street of Chimes. The door is barred at night, but she'll leave her shutters unlocked; she requests we only send one person at a time, so as not to attract attention. Trap?
    Directions to the gate to Caspar's lair:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gateway in the sewers with the old carved fallen lintel
    In the chamber near the Foundary with the Brass Wheels
    Rub right to left across the lintel with a pure silver coin
    Goals:
    -Retrieve the Well of Souls
    -Use it to try to restore Korolis? (purely hypothetical)
    Notes:
    -The Iron Tower is based "down their way".
    -Caspar has powerful allies who he boasts about, they told him the mirror was probably in Sigil. "Something about its destiny being written in the stars or something." Astrology-based magic?
    -Lycanthe also mentioned Melchior, another Son of Korolis, who could dissolve things by getting angry at them.

Elisha:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Information on Ahsile:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahsile is a minor goddess of Vanity and Illusion. Most of her stories involve her either distracting someone, typically male characters, with unearthly beauty, or using illusions in some way - to disguise herself, to create illusionary doubles, or to hide away cities, mountain ranges, and even one of the moons. In most stories she is portrayed as carrying out other people's plans rather than following her own, giggling a lot, and being easily distracted. She is supposed to have died about 10 years ago at the hands of Cyric. The Cyric and Ahsile story you have is about 20 years old.

Story about the fight with Cyric:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There was a story recently (last 20 years or so) of a struggle between Cyric and the goddess Ahsile, goddess of beauty and illusion. Cyric tried a variety of ways of defeating her, including poisoning her with a hairbrush, enchanting her with a cursed flower, and trapping her reflection in an alien glass, girded about with twisted men. All these attempts failed except the mirror, which did catch her reflection, but it turned out, as do most stories about Ahsile, that she was an illusion all along, and had simply been keeping Cyric busy while mischief was being worked elsewhere.

Her involvement with Chaldecott:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Her first recorded appearance was when she manifested as a holy vision in the looking glass of the Duchess Astoria of Pardale. It was during the seige of Pardale, while she was brushing her hair. That was, what, six months ago?

Five and half.

Anyway things were in a desperate state, demons at the gate, the Duke slain in battle. At the goddess' instruction, the Duchess takes her vanity mirror to the battlements, and points it at the enemy.

And wherever the beam hit, they all started burning, like little tindertwigs. The warlord says in a dreamy voice. Soldier and demon alike. Pop! Pop! Pop!

Some form of focused planar energy we think. Greviously wounded, the Duchess...

I lost a finger.

That's grevious. You were maimed.

It was just a silly finger. I was holding the mirror badly and it got in the way of the beam. Is all this detail really necessary?

I suppose not. To cut a long story short with the active and enthusiastic help of the goddess the Duchess won all her battles.

The soldiers deserve some of the credit

With the rest going to a mirror that spewed out lava, scalding steam, summoned fiends, horrfiying visions, illusory dragons...

It also helped that she showed me where all the enemy were. Gives one quite the advantage. And it wasn't just the one mirror, Kalinor. Mine broke during the battle for Holt's Landing, so I borrowed that long thin one from the mayor.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Caring. Determined.

Vain. Concerned with appearances.

Mysterious. Keeps talking about truth versus illusion

Cryptic, Irritating.

Kalinor!

Kalinor rolls his eyes. Look, let's sum it up like this. The first time she appeared to you, she got you to fix up your hair.

We were under seige. It was pretty awful.

Then when you looked good, then she helped you kill off the attackers.

She said they looked ugly. They were spoiling the view.

Then she helped you drive them out the country. What I'm saying is that I don't think she helped you repel a demonic invasion because she was concerned about your hair. That may be what she said, but we both know that's not what she meant. This is someone who, in the months you've known her, has never spoken a straight word. She's deflected, prevaricated, avoided the subject, even lied.

She lies quite a lot actually. But you can tell when she's doing it. Just take the opposite of what she says.

That's the point. She never tries to mislead, to deceive. Everything she says is an attempt to communicate.

Summary of leads to follow from earlier theory post:
    Spoiler
    Show
    -She is trapped in Cyric's shrine and wants help. Possibly with three servants and a guest...
    -Bring pure jade with us to the temple
    Jade tends to be used for illusion and transformation magic, including e.g. shapechange, permanent image, programmed image, false image, false vision.
    -A winged blond girl is also interested in the mirror.

The Athars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Sigil faction
    -They ran Reason's Rest, the portal where we entered Sigil.
    -Saffron's information on the planar breach:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "It came from the Astral Plane, of that much I'm certain, but that hardly narrows anything down," Saffron answers. An experienced planar traveler, the portal's normal operation is not reason enough to interrupt her train of thought. "Beyond that, a scent of saltwater and rotting flesh. Nothing more."
    -They were allegedly responsible for the invasion of Chaldecott, using mercenaries and demons from Pandemonium as troops, and "strange siege engines": they wanted to set up a base to operate there, with Kalinor as the man in charge on the ground.
    -General information on them:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the factions that administers Sigil, and like the other factions, has considerable influence throughout the cosmos via its members. The Athars believe the gods to be fakes - merely powerful beings who are pretending to be something more, and rail against the gods wherever their influence is felt. They conduct regular tours of the astral plane to visit 'dead' gods - deities they claim ceased to be, thus proving that gods are not immortal.

Corrupted by contact with Korolis' remains? If the Tomb of Korolis moves through the Astral, perhaps that's associated with the planar breach to the Outlands? A backlash, against Athar meddling? Destruction of some faction of the organization that disagreed with the corrupted ones' goals?

The Iron Tower:
    Spoiler
    Show
    -A large mercenary group based on the Astral Plane. Most of that group are githyanki. You would imagine they're quite expensive.
    -They were hired to kill the nine of us (PCs + Ezekiel, from Simon's backstory), and take our mirror, if we should have one.
    -Agents of the Iron Tower watched the fight. The ones we killed were Katanya, Kcthicis and Kelkebor. The one we should contact at the Iron Tower is "Lady Kris".

The Elementalists of Chaldecott: backed the invasion of Chaldecott by Kalinor and the Athars, were defeated by Astoria with Elisha's aid, not on good terms with Kalinor et al. One or more of their number held the mirror for a while about 150 years ago, before it was taken by a Daughter of Korolis. Source of information on the mirror?

Elves of the Great Northern Forest: fled using the Well of Souls, allegedly to the Elemental Plane of Earth, about 150 years ago. Source of information on the mirror, if we could find them?

Demogorgon: demon lord, conquered the Monkey's Spiral with Korolis, still controls it? Maybe Uzark has more information?

--------------------------------------------------------

Geography of the area around the Sea of Stars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Sea of Stars is surrounded by land on three sides. To the North is the Great Northern Forest, to the East is Chaldecott, to the southeast is the city state of Perellion, to the west are a few scattered settlements on the coast and then further west is the Monkey's Spiral, an area occupied by demons. The Sea of Stars has an island on it containing an elementalist's academy, based around an old wizard's tower, and the centre of magical knowledge in the region. The stories of Korolis come from this region.

Progress of the war:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're still fighting up north?

No, we're secure up to the Great Northern Forest. I'm... just south of the peninsula. You were right.

Kalinor nods. what happened?

I brought the army down in secret, pretended to strip the border garrison, give them a tempting target. They... took the bait. We hit them from inside their own territory just as they came across the border. There weren't many survivors, so it's just a few weeks of mopping up now, maybe sack a few towns if they give us too much trouble.

Elementalists not giving you any trouble? I'd have thought they'd make a move.

Laughter. Light and long, if slightly muffled by the helm.

Kalinor, you don't seem to understand. We routed an army of fiends by divine intervention. We won a civil war with deific power. Chaldecott has overrun its neighbours and controls an area five times its original size.

The voice grows louder, more urgent.

The army grows daily with recruits hungry for more miracles and we're attracting almost every renegade magician on the continent, Light and Dark, to our banner. There's talk of taking the Western coast, campaigning against the demons there. The elementalists are trying not to offend me, Kalinor, lest I invoke the goddess, grind their towers to dust around their ears and impale them all of shards of mirror glass for the greater glory the strange and terrible deity I serve!
    Last edited by Ifni; 2011-12-06 at 12:31 AM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #621

Beholder

Thanks for the support.

Also, why can't I ever get a player who theorycrafts like you, Ifni, in my games? The only players I get are the ones who nitpick the rules with me...

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I've reposted 625. Somehow it got copied over with post 631.

Anyway, it should all be right now.

As for all the theorycrafting much as I'd love to comment, drop hints, cryptic comments, etc. I really shouldn't say anything.

Must... say... nothing...
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-12-04 at 08:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    I've reposted 625. Somehow it got copied over with post 631.

Anyway, it should all be right now.
    Ah, awesome I was afraid of losing that post, it was both nicely written and very informative. Thanks - and hope you're feeling better, even if the flu leads to lots of plot progression
    Last edited by Ifni; 2011-12-04 at 07:50 PM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #624

Unless I am mistaken, the ninth person the Iron Tower was assigned to kill was, in fact, Ezekiel. The eight of us were pictured on those cards the assasin had, yes? Because the ninth was Ezekiel.

From Simon's Backlog:

Ezekiel
    The man known only as Ezekiel has followed Simon since his transformation. The robed watcher always carries a notebook with him, and an ever-moving pen writes as its master watches. He never interferes, he never speaks. Occasionally, he motions. Strangely, Ezekiel does not show himself to many other people besides Simon. Whenever Simon goes to show someone the man, Ezekiel has disappeared.
    Involvement in the affair of the Well of Souls is still unknown.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

Awesome Hex avatar by kpenguin

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Umbriel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Athars
    One of the factions that administers Sigil, and like the other factions, has considerable influence throughout the cosmos via its members. The Athars believe the gods to be fakes - merely powerful beings who are pretending to be something more, and rail against the gods wherever their influence is felt. They conduct regular tours of the astral plane to visit 'dead' gods - deities they claim ceased to be, thus proving that gods are not immortal.

A faction could pull off an invasion, particularly a mercenary-backed invasion of a small and backward country, provided it was important enough to their goals to do so. It would be expensive, and it's hard to see what they would gain by doing so.

Incidently, I can give you more detail on the geography of the Sea of Stars. I just haven't because I didn't think it would be useful to you.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-12-04 at 08:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by THEChanger View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, the ninth person the Iron Tower was assigned to kill was, in fact, Ezekiel. The eight of us were pictured on those cards the assasin had, yes? Because the ninth was Ezekiel.

From Simon's Backlog:

Involvement in the affair of the Well of Souls is still unknown.
    Ah, right, you are correct. I noted that at the time, but had forgotten it by my run-through. Thanks!
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #627

Beholder

How do you people have so much free time? TO write so much, so well ... and so frequently? I simply can't keep up, can't contribute. If you want me out, or feel like my character's not even there anyway, let me know. I have nothing to post that is meaningful ... I'm so far behind on everything, and I just no longer have any energy to read through pages of posts.

Edit: If I feel no spark of energy, no renewal from this constant burn-out, by tomorrow evening ... I will withdraw from the game. It's simply not fair for you guys to continue to try to involve my character when I simply do not have the free time (or energy when I do have a bit of time) to respond to any posts.
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2011-12-05 at 11:01 PM.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    Incidently, I can give you more detail on the geography of the Sea of Stars. I just haven't because I didn't think it would be useful to you.
    Thanks for the information on the Athars, Togo - and more geography information would be great, if it's easy for you. I'd like to have a sense of exactly where their war is going (and as a general rule, both Umbriel and I will always greedily snap up new info)

I have a new Grand Theory regarding the Athars' involvement in all this, but it's not very supported at all yet, so I will refrain from advertising it

I wasn't sure whether public theorycrafting on the game OOC thread was polite in PbP, but it seems like everyone is happy with it (please let me know if that's not the case!), so I will continue (albeit still with spoilers of course).

@Obrysii:
    FWIW, I don't want you out, and I'm fine with your character being there but quiet (some people - and dragons - are quiet types). I don't feel like anything about the current situation is remotely unfair to me. However, you should do what's fun for you: if the game is a source of stress rather than enjoyment, you don't owe us any obligation whatsoever to continue (an advantage of large groups! )
    Last edited by Ifni; 2011-12-06 at 12:43 AM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #629

I know how you feel, Obrysii. For awhile there, I just wasn't sure what to post. I just wasn't sure how Simon would react, if at all, to what was happening. The time will come again when you feel that the dragon is ready to roar, loud and proud. I'm with Ifni on this one. If you aren't having fun, then I suppose you should leave. But I don't think you are detracting in any way from our fun. So stick around if you would like. If you need help getting back into the flow of things, once this little bit is concluded, Simon's probably going to try to find more out about his companions, simply because he doesn't know very much yet. And a fricken dragon is a bit high on that list.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

Awesome Hex avatar by kpenguin

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

Just pitching to agree with what others said, Obrysii. I am having issues following it all as well (but then I have the lucky position of playing a character that is not quite smart enough to understand all this anyway). I similarly have issues with coming up with a sensible way to add something IC. And see, when I decide to do so, I screw the conversation up. But I don't really mind, I am already looking forward to the verbal lashing Godot will have in store for me later on .