Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Togo's Planar Adventure set partly in Sigil (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by GuesssWho View Post
    So my weapons have another +11 and my natural weapons another +6?
    Natural weapons are included as weapons. They both get +6 to hit and to damage.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I am going to charge in the IC thread. I assume the teleportation takes place a split second after I crash the window and that Godot and Umbriel have sorted out who is going to do the 'hopping'.

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    I see. This is not a typical aspect spell in that it gives you a funny glow and DR and energy resistance, but this is an actual polymorph spell. Aspect of the platinum dragon turns you into an Aspect of Bahamut, which is an actual monster in Dragon Magic (it also appears in Races of the Dragon, but there's a note that the Dragon magic version supersedes the other, so I guess they changed something).

So, the ambiguity lies with Polymorph. PHB and SRD version gives you (in short) gross physical qualities, Str/Dex/Con and (Ex) attacks. However, the PHBII and Dragon Magic (and I guess some other books as well) introduce the polymorph subschool of spells and a new rule on how polymorph works. In this rule you pretty much lose everything you have except your HD (for the purpose of spells etc) and your hp and replace your sheet with the monster stat block. You lose your class abilities, but you gain all (Su) and (Ex) abilities of the monster as well as its feats. Then there's of course Rich Burlew's variant that can be found on this forum and about a million houserule and homebrew variants of polymorph.

So, I was wondering: what happens when I turn into an Aspect of Bahamut / how does polymorph work?
    While I am still a bit curious to the answer to this question, it is kind of moot now as I have decided to go with Arcane spellsurge and Orb of cold, get some use out of the huge amount of spellslots I have.
    No PbP posting during the Easter weekend (Fri-Mon)

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait. I'm confused. Wasn't the "charging in" method mutually exclusive with the "Dimension Door-ing in" method?
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-05-13 at 02:08 PM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Wait. I'm confused. Wasn't the "charging in" method mutually exclusive with the "Dimension Door-ing in" method?
    No. At least, not in my reading of the plans .

My idea was that I charge in and distract the people inside and perhaps get the first few hostilities aimed at me, while one of the mages teleports the rest of the team into the room and create some element of surprise.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    No. At least, not in my reading of the plans .

My idea was that I charge in and distract the people inside and perhaps get the first few hostilities aimed at me, while one of the mages teleports the rest of the team into the room and create some element of surprise.
    Couldn't the rest of the group come through the hole you've just opened?
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, but I was just....no, I am not. Derk was just concerned that his entry would have been met with, for example, a double magical blast or something else that might be harmful, something he does not want the people he feels he is supposed to protect to be affected by. Also, the tactical advantage there might be there when others popped up on 'the other side' appealed to him.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Sure, but since it's a move action to get through the hole, you'd need another move action to move away from the hole, or to move towards it if you didn't started next to it. Either way, you're looking at a possible traffic jam.

Right, Derk has made it through the window and into the room. If everyone can take their surprise round actions, then I'll describe what's happening in the room.

Also, can I have initiative rolls, since there is the possibly that bowling a silver dragonkin through the window will be seen as hostile.
    Last edited by Togo; 2012-05-13 at 03:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    Also, can I have initiative rolls, since there is the possibly that bowling a silver dragonkin through the window will be seen as hostile.
    Yes, sure, but might I add that the silver bowlingball looks very friendly and charismatic, and happens to be a very good listener .

Initiative Derk: (1d20+1)[15]

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure, but since it's a move action to get through the hole, you'd need another move action to move away from the hole, or to move towards it if you didn't started next to it. Either way, you're looking at a possible traffic jam.
    Hmm. If that's the case, then sure. I was probably thinking of passing through the hole and moving with the same move action, treating the hole as a simple gap.

Also: Initiative - (1d20+9)[11]
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GuesssWho View Post
    So my weapons have another +11 and my natural weapons another +6?
    Just to remove any confusion there might be with all the buffs:

-Your base attack bonus is +5
    -Your Dexterity is 16 (+3)
    -Your bow is a +5 weapon (I don't know what it is from itself, but Umbriel makes it +5)

Normally, you would shoot an arrow at +13. If you have any funky class abilites, feats or grafts that give you extra bonuses, or if your dex happens to be higher, your attack bonus is higher. Your damage then is 1d8+6 (1 strength and 5 magic) plus your ice and fire damage that comes with the bow.

Now in combat two buffs are often happening:
    -Inspire courage, Godot's song, which gives a morale bonus to attack and damage (and saves vs. fear)
    -Haste, which gives a +1 bonus to attacks (and reflex saves and AC, and possibly an extra attack)

Right now Godot is singing for +6, and there is no Haste cast yet. So, you shoot an arrow at +19 (+13 normal, +6 Godot song), for 1d8+12 damage (again, if you have funky class or racial abilities I am not aware of, these numbers can be higher). The bonus Godot gives us is variable, because she can empower it with a spell. +6 normally, and +8 if she uses the spell with it (which she didn't now).
    When/if Umbriel casts Haste, your attack increases by +1 and you can even make one extra attack at your highest attack bonus if you make a full attack action (i.e. when you decide not to move in the round, but just attack).

For your tentacles, it is a bit different:

-Base attack bonus +5
    -Strength 14 (+2)
    -No magic bonus (Greater magic weapon doesn't work for it, so you need a special magical item for it, or a druid that casts Greater magic fang for you)

So, you have one tentacle attack at +7, 1d4+2 damage, normally. Or two tentacle attacks at +7 when you do a full attack action. Under the current Godot song buff, you have one (or two when full attacking) tentacle attack at +13, 1d4+8 damage. If/when Umbriel casts Haste, the attacks go up by +1 and you can have three tentacle attacks at that bonus when full attacking.

I am spelling this out so explicitly, because I was sensing you were confused by the buffing and stacking that has been going on. If that was not the case and not necessary, then please ignore the post .

Also, as a sidenote. If you actually plan on using your tentacle attacks and start fighting in melee, I suggest you pick up a real melee weapon. The beauty of the tentacles is that you can use them as secondary weapons. Also, you are an outsider, so you are proficient with all martial weapons (you have a big level adjustment, might as well squeeze the last inch out of it).
    You can pick up a greatsword and ask Umbriel to make it +5, I am pretty sure she has some daily charges to do so left over. Then, in melee, it would look like this:

Single attack (greatsword): +12 (5base, 2strength, 5magic), 2d6+8 (1.5*strength + 5magic)

Full attack: Greatsword +12 [2d6+8], 2 tentacles +2 (5base, 2strength, -5secondary) [1d4+2]

That looks at lot better than +7 or +7/+7 [1d4+2] you now have in melee, and those numbers also go up with Godot's songs and Haste. You are a sorcerer, so fighting with weapons is not your strongest side, but if you are going to do it, might as well make the best of it .

11. - Top - End - #821
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll do that once I get some money, then :D

Init.:(1d20+3)[12]
    Attack: (1d20+19)[21]
    Damage: (1d8+12)[18]+(1d6)[6] cold+(1d6)[4] fire

Lot of rolls there :D
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    If you understood the above, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91 Subtract one and add to your signature.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Can I get knowledge checks from people? Any knowledge they think might be useful.

Godot - you missed out the actual spell you were casting?

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

Derk

Knowledge Arcana (1d20+9)[22]
    Knowledge Religion (1d20+10)[17]
    Knowledge the Planes (1d20+13)[33]

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

On the off chance that there are any animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants or vermins around:

KnowNature - (1d20+16)[17]
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

Can I get knowledge checks from people? Any knowledge they think might be useful.

Godot - you missed out the actual spell you were casting?
    Sorry, fixed. It's dominate person. Assuming that they turn out to be persons.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

All the Knowledge checks!

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana (1d20+35)[43]
    Planes (1d20+35)[54]
    Religion (1d20+35)[38]
    Local (1d20+18)[28]
    Dungeoneering (1d20+18)[31]
    Nature (1d20+18)[26]

I think those are all the monster-ID ones. In case there's other relevant information in the other skills:
    [roll]Nobility & Royalty (1d20+18)[26]
    Geography (1d20+18)[27]
    Architecture & Engineering (1d20+18)[38]
    History (1d20+18)[22]
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

Well, now Godot's feeling left out of knowledge-palooza:

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana: (1d20+22)[37]
    Any of the others: (1d20+10)[20]
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

Apparently, Umbriel has quick access to Google.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

At the end of the surprise round:
    Everyone please make a DC 19 Will save or be shaken from the crying. This is a sonic fear effect, so don't forget the substantial bonus from Godot.

Then we're into round 1:

Initiative Order
    Umbriel & Derk
    Crying Creature
    Sthrer & Rhion
    Four-clawed beast & Monocle Man

Umbriel & Derk to act please

Xiulcoatl - yes the spell can transport you, and yes you can fit into the room. Feel free to chime in with a single standard action for the surprise round, and give me an initiative roll, a Will save as above, and any knowledge checks you feel like making

Godot - wink or no wink will happen on Monocle Man's initiative

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Derk, you need to roll your save anyway, as a natural 1 always fails. Also, you may or may not want to change your action depending on the results of your knowledge check.

Rhion, can I confirm if you bite attack is magical (due to an item, or greater magic fang)?
    Last edited by Togo; 2012-05-14 at 05:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ettin in the Playground

Apparently, Umbriel has quick access to Google.
    Well, duh, what did you think the perpetual glowing scrolling runes around her head were providing?

Also, Togo, how far away from the door is the table? Just wondering whether I ended up using Dimension Step or Greater D-Door. (Greater D-Door has an ongoing effect, so it might matter for more than just my spell list.)

I'll post Umbriel's action and information tonight.

EDIT: And another question as well. If Derk's trying to block the route to the casters and Rhion teleported in with us, are we all basically on the same side of the bad guys? I'm wondering whether there's anywhere in the room where I could plant a 20ft radius sphere to hit spike-eyes + four-arms + at most one PC (placing it off the ground is acceptable, as is hitting the corpse and the walls - it doesn't affect anything that can't see)

And a related question: given what I know about spike-eyes, do I know if it can see? (for purposes of Radiant Assault, mostly - it doesn't affect sightless creatures)
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-05-14 at 06:14 PM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, Will save, just rolling 1d20 without modifiers as I only fail on a 1 (I'm not sure if any of my bonuses are morale but I'm at +20 before Godot's song).

(1d20)[13]

EDIT: Yeah, Umbriel's not scared. Well, she is a little scared, in a dry academic way, but not because of the fear aura...

Actually, do we not have Heroes' Feast, for fear immunity? I feel like we had Heroes' Feast, a looooong time ago this morning... Or is this something other than a fear effect?
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-05-14 at 05:17 PM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    Also, Togo, how far away from the door is the table? Just wondering whether I ended up using Dimension Step or Greater D-Door. (Greater D-Door has an ongoing effect, so it might matter for more than just my spell list.)
    Dimension step. Greater D-door was not needed, and would have stopped people acting in the surprise round.

EDIT: And another question as well. If Derk's trying to block the route to the casters and Rhion teleported in with us, are we all basically on the same side of the bad guys? I'm wondering whether there's anywhere in the room where I could plant a 20ft radius sphere to hit spike-eyes + four-arms + at most one PC (placing it off the ground is acceptable, as is hitting the corpse and the walls - it doesn't affect anything that can't see)

And a related question: given what I know about spike-eyes, do I know if it can see? (for purposes of Radiant Assault, mostly - it doesn't affect sightless creatures)
    No, you're in the middle, generally. The window people came through is 15' from the left side of the room, and Nails for eyes is on the left, fighting Rhion. Monocle Man and four claws are to the right. 20' radius would cover the entire room if you aimed in the middle. Aiming at one end or the other would still cover half of it, covering either Rhion, Nails for eyes, Godot and Sthreron the one hand, or Monocle Man, Four claws, and Derk on the other.

Here's an ASCI effort at a map, with each character being a 5ft square.
    R=Rhion, S=Sthrer, D=Derk, G=Godot, n = nails for eyes, m= monocle man, 4=the large four-clawed creature (takes up 4 squares). Umbriel is presumably outside the window (marked ^) with Xiulcoatl.

X X X X X m X X
    X n R S D X 4 4
    doorX X G X X X 4 4
    ^
    window

I'll try and come up with a proper map tomorrow evening.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ettin in the Playground

Dimension step. Greater D-door was not needed, and would have stopped people acting in the surprise round.
    Okay, Dimension Step it is. The dragon would also have had the option to move in, if he wanted - I can move six people, which is the entire party at this point (if Simon's not around).

(I've always read it as D-Door only stops the caster from acting for the rest of the turn, not people they bring with them - are you ruling it that anyone transported with D-Door can't act for the rest of the turn? If so, for Greater D-Door, does this also apply to the subsequent move-action transfers?)

Re the map, that's great, thanks. If Umbriel moves up to the window, pokes her head in, and fires a ray spell over Godot's head down the side of the room at the four-clawed creature, will she take penalties? (I'm happy to take -4 for cover, but if I'm taking more than that from extra cover or cover+melee, I'll probably do something else)

EDIT: Given what time it must be in your timezone, Togo, I might just assume this, and go ahead with my action - happy to amend it if it turns out to be a problem.

EDIT2: Also, thought you guys might like to know: I was offered the job that ate up all my time last week with interviews
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-05-14 at 10:06 PM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #835
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fear save: (1d20+16)[18]
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    If you understood the above, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91 Subtract one and add to your signature.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

Fear save - failing on a 1 (1d20)[19]

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

Right, sorry I never do that. Sometimes it is hard to remember the difference between RAW and yur own homerules.

Save: (1d20+27)[44].

And congratulations, Umbriel!

Edit: Och, if you don't mind I will wait untill I know what the results of Umbriel's action are (she has the better dex). For what it is worth, I will still aim to make it so that the fiend uses whatever it has on me rather than on others.
    Also, Togo, is the fiend susceptible to my Sun devotion powered attacks?
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2012-05-15 at 01:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ettin in the Playground

Fort save DC is actually 26, sorry, I forgot I had Spell Focus Transmutation (10 + 9 Int + 6 spell level +1 feat = 26 if I didn't miss anything else).

*cross fingers*
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

WillSave - (1d20+25)[44]

Togo: Rhion is wearing an Amulet of Mighty Fists +1 (with Wilding Clasp), so his attacks are magical. Also, I'll roll an AoO just in case Nails-for-eyes provokes one by standing up.

Bite - (1d20+28)[37]
    (3d6+20)[29]

Edit: I forgot to add the +4 to attack against the prone creature. You can add it, Togo.

Edit2: Also, congratulations, Ifni!
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-05-15 at 02:38 AM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT2: Also, thought you guys might like to know: I was offered the job that ate up all my time last week with interviews
    Sorry, I missed this on the first read. Congratulations!