Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Togo's Planar Adventure set partly in Sigil (OOC)

Spellcraft checks:
    Foul-smelling fog: (1d20+32)[50]
    Cold blast: (1d20+32)[51]

Not rolling saves just yet because I may be immune to some of this, and Umbriel has various immediate-action defenses she may use depending on what her Spellcraft reveals.

Is the fog a poison effect? (e.g. Cloudkill?) Elemental Body blocks poison, sleep, paralysis and stunning; also, I could swear we had Heroes' Feast this morning. Am I misremembering? If I'm correct, we should all be immune to poison effects.

Can I assume the level-draining aura falls under "energy drain or any negative energy effect"? If so, Umbriel's soulfire armor should block it for her.

Does my 100ft blindsense pick up anything new, if whatever's centering the aura now has line-of-effect to me?

EDIT: Wow. Umbriel's magic senses are in good shape, anyway...
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-05-24 at 06:46 PM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Umbriel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stinking cloud and cone of cold. The latter was a spell-like ability, not a spell. The former you have no idea, since there was no sign of how the effect was produced.

Stinking cloud isn't listed as a poison effect.
    The level-draining aura is an energy drain effect, so would be blocked.

Blindsense does pick up a medium creature of some kind. It moved to a position about 10' from Derk, just before the cone of cold went off from approximately that direction. It's still there.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

Godot did indeed use her horn of plenty to give a Heroes Feast this morning. And Godot also has the Soulfire enhancement (phew!). Again, really sorry to all those who are affected. If I had any way to heal you, she'd be doing it right away.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ettin in the Playground

Togo, you'd make a terrific genie. Of the "bending wishes" kind.

By the way, sorry if that's only me, but I have a little trouble picturing the situation. Rhion didn't get the readied attack against the creature hurling itself after Derk. He got affected by the aura of unlife, but not the blast of cold.

The last two I can theorize by placing Rhion "next" to the door and the two effects being spread and burst respectively, but I'm not sure about those either.

So, a clarification, if possible?

Also: Fort - (1d20+21)[23]
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

Right...

Fort save: (1d20+19)[31]
    Reflex vs cold (+3 for my draconic heritage): (1d20+12)[21]

Not sure yet where Derk will move. He is not so bright and moreover in a fog....he'll need some guidance .

Edit, Btw: the burning snarling creature misses Derk.
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2012-05-25 at 06:06 AM.
    No PbP posting during the Easter weekend (Fri-Mon)

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ok..

First off, I'm honestly not trying to subvert the dominate commands. The spell makes you a bit literal and very single minded. When asked to explain, he explained. When asked to whisper information he couldn't find the person to whisper to. He'd been asked to whisper, so it's reasonable to assume that the information is secret, so he didn't blurt it out where just any party member could hear it. Then he was asked to go to sleep. People can't just drop into a chair and start snoring, going to sleep involves getting comfortable somewhere quiet, and can take half an hour or so. Given that his bed is next door, and that he feels it well within his rights to throw everyone out, that seemed the quickest route to achieve the given goal. Finally he was asked to go to his room, which he tried to do.

Secondly the set up is this:

CCXXXX |X|XXXXXX
    CCXXX@|R|XXXSXX
    XXXXX D M GAUXXX

Derk (D) has stepped into the room, and is in combat with the burning creature @. Rhion (R), who was next to him, is still in the corridor. Noone moved into Derk's vacated spot immediately in front of the door, so Monocle man is now standing there. Everyone else apart from Sthrer is nicely lined up, since that's the only way they can all see into the room.

The cloud that got Rhion is a spread. It started where @ is and went around the corner to get him. The unholy energy drain and the blast of cold are not spreads, and so Rhion was protected by the edge of the doorway. For that to work, the origin points of those effects must be somewhere in the bottom left of the diagram, at least 10' away from Derk.

<Sigh> I'll try and do a proper map this evening or tomorrow. These tiny asci diagrams don't really cut it.

Thirdly, Rhion you pass your save. Please take half of
    (14d6)[50] in cold damage.

Monocle man seems badly hurt, but is still standing, and trying to get into the room.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

Fortitude: (1d20+14)[27]
    Reflex: (1d20+13)[27]

I may reroll one of these depending on how they go.

EDIT: Nah, happy with both of those, will not be rerolling either (I have to declare before I know the result). I'll hold my action to confirm if I've passed my Fort save, since if I haven't, I'm restricted to a move (but I really hope 27 passes!)
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-05-25 at 09:28 AM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ettin in the Playground

Meh, I overstated the wish subversion for comical effect. I actually prefer your way: unbiased to both sides, and literal.

And cripes! The aura of unlife itself did 14d6 damage? I wonder what the blast of cold would do...

Also, thanks for the clarification.

(To keep track, Rhion is down to 137/175.)
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Rhion - Sorry, no, my apologies. That damage was for the cold blast, which is the reflex save. You weren't hit by the cold blast, so ignore that

Derk, Umbriel and Rhion all passed their fort saves, and thus take no effect from the cloud.

Both Derk and Umbriel passed their reflex save and thus only take half damage from the cold (25hp).

Derk can still see his burning opponent, as visibility within the cloud is down to 5', not eliminated entirely.
    Last edited by Togo; 2012-05-25 at 12:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    Ok..

First off, I'm honestly not trying to subvert the dominate commands. The spell makes you a bit literal and very single minded. When asked to explain, he explained. When asked to whisper information he couldn't find the person to whisper to. He'd been asked to whisper, so it's reasonable to assume that the information is secret, so he didn't blurt it out where just any party member could hear it. Then he was asked to go to sleep. People can't just drop into a chair and start snoring, going to sleep involves getting comfortable somewhere quiet, and can take half an hour or so. Given that his bed is next door, and that he feels it well within his rights to throw everyone out, that seemed the quickest route to achieve the given goal. Finally he was asked to go to his room, which he tried to do.
    Oh, I'm blaming myself, not you. I DO find it hilarious, though.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

11. - Top - End - #911
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Right....

First off, saves please!

Second, the room is now obscured by foul-smelling fog, which fills the first 15 of corridor, and everything in the room in which Xiulcoatl, Sthrer and Umbriel are standing within 10 feet of the door. Derk is surrounded by fog, and can only get out of it by going deeper into the room, or going back to join the others.

Spellcraft to identify either that, or the blast of cold. Note that there was some magical words spoken by someone near Derk before the blast of cold went off. There was no warning for the fog.

Once we've resolved who is hurt and who isn't, everyone may act again.
    Just a quick post to say I'm still around. I will post in full tomorrow (Sunday).
    Pointing out hypocrisy is not disrespect.

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Xiulcoatl - ouch, that's rubbish dice rolling. Unless anyone has any bonuses he might not have considered, that's fail. I'll post the result on the main thread.

As with Umbriel, blindsense only allows you to tell where things are, not so much what they look like.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ettin in the Playground

Haste adds +1 to reflex saves: was that counted in, and if not, would it make the difference? I don't think I'm providing any other save-boosters right now. (Tonight in game-time, someone remind me to give Xiulcoatl Energy Immunity:Cold, elemental vulnerability is bad.)

Also, does anyone have abilities to clear the cloud? Umbriel's ways to do it involve once/day abilities and the most reliable way costs XP (Alacritous Cogitation -> Limited Wish -> Control Winds), but I thought Rhion had Gust of Wind, which I think will clear Stinking Cloud in a round (at worst - a strong wind clears it in a round, and Gust of Wind is severe wind). Wind Wall might also work, or Greater Dispel (which I think Godot has, or is she out of spells at that level?) I'm just not certain Greater Dispel would work because it might be an Ex/Su ability rather than spell-like, but wind to blow it away should work in any case, if it's emulating a Stinking Cloud. Umbriel's now asked for it twice, so you'd have IC justification to do something, if it's easy for you.

I can toss quickened glitterdust + greater d-door (to shuttle the meleers in next to it, where the cloud gives only partial concealment) or radiant assault, but Umbriel would really like to see what she's fighting first (and she has see invisibility, so she could probably see it if the cloud was gone).
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-05-27 at 01:58 PM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry Ifni, didn't occur to me at all that Rhion had Gust of Wind.

Now that I glance at the character sheet, Rhion doesn't even have Natural Spell. I don't know what I was thinking when I made that character. Seriously.

Again, I'm sorry. I feel that I grew detached from the mechanics of my character over this whole time period, which is... a year now?
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-05-27 at 02:30 PM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post

Now that I glance at the character sheet, Rhion doesn't even have Natural Spell. I don't know what I was thinking when I made that character. Seriously.

Again, I'm sorry. I feel that I grew detached from the mechanics of my character over this whole time period, which is... a year now?
    Sorry, Cespenar. Umbriel is being impatient; Ifni isn't annoyed (and yes, I've had to reread my sheet on numerous occasions, Umbriel has... lots of stuff).
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #916

Here's an annoyingly technical question: if someone can cast Stinking Cloud, could they un-cast someone else's?
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    If you understood the above, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91 Subtract one and add to your signature.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

You were probably thinking - Hey! I have fast wild shape, I can change back to my normal form and cast in a single round! And its' not like I have that many spells anyway, so let's save a feat!

Yes, it is. Gosh.

(If people are getting tired of the game, please do say.)

Do we have to start new IC and OCC threads at any point? Isn't there a time limit on threads?

Quote Originally Posted by GuesssWho View Post
    Here's an annoyingly technical question: if someone can cast Stinking Cloud, could they un-cast someone else's?
    No, you can't uncast spells. You can counter spells with opposing spells. So slow counters haste, and light spells counter darkness spells, and so on. There isn't an obvious counter to a foul-smelling cloud of fog that I know of, apart from dispersing the cloud, which is why people are talking about gust of wind. If you think of something else that would logically work, I'll certainly consider it.

Otherwise you're looking at things like dispel magic, which work on any magical effect.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

This is one of the most fun & flavourful games I've ever played in. Ongoing kudos.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ettin in the Playground

You were probably thinking - Hey! I have fast wild shape, I can change back to my normal form and cast in a single round! And its' not like I have that many spells anyway, so let's save a feat!
    Yeah. And after that, waste that feat on Blindsense, as if I can't find a creature with Blindsense to transform into. Pure genius.

Yes, it is. Gosh.

No way I'm getting tired of this game. I was just saying that I'm probably not the same person who prepared this sheet back when the game started.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ettin in the Playground

Togo, can Umbriel see anything with See Invisibility in the space where her blindsense indicates a creature? If I don't have an angle to that space at the moment, let me know and I'll move.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Good point. I'm adding a description to the IC list, of what you can see.

22. - Top - End - #922

Yuck, an atropal fragment.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    If you understood the above, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91 Subtract one and add to your signature.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

Do we have to start new IC and OCC threads at any point? Isn't there a time limit on threads?
    Yeah, I remember something about deleting threads after a year. Can't find where I read it, though. Perhaps it is one year after the last post? Maybe not....

If someone knows and has perhaps some tips on 'saving' the contents of a thread, I am all ears. I am DMing a game which is about to hit the 1 year mark and I would hate to lose the first year of posting, not in the last place because I suck at making notes .

Also, want to buy glitterdust, selling divine wrath administered with a blunt object .
    No PbP posting during the Easter weekend (Fri-Mon)

24. - Top - End - #924
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    Also, want to buy glitterdust, selling divine wrath administered with a blunt object .
    Incoming! (Thank you, Rhion!)

Obrysii, sorry, the Blood Wind only lasts a single round (it was a swift action to cast), and I don't have a second one prepped (need an action to pull it back with pearl of power). If you wait until after Umbriel, she might make it easier for you to full attack - but then again I'm not sure you want to be standing next to this guy when he acts next, you'll get hit by the energy-drain aura and he might have another Cone of Cold. Your call.

(Umbriel is going to quicken Glitterdust to make it visible and then either blast it or teleport people around as her standard action.)

First, though, Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+35)[39] in case Umbriel knows more than the information already given.

Godot, did you roll temporary HP from Heroes' Feast at some point? I don't have it recorded.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Umbriel
    Additional info added onto the IC thread.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    Godot, did you roll temporary HP from Heroes' Feast at some point? I don't have it recorded.
    Ah. Lazy bastard that I am, I think I just 'took 4' on the d8 roll. I figure that, at the point at which Heroes Feast comes into play, a few HP here or there...

But, for precision's sake, everyone should have (1d8+6)[9] temp hit points.

27. - Top - End - #927

Beholder

[QUOTE=Ifni;13308964]Incoming! (Thank you, Rhion!)

Obrysii, sorry, the Blood Wind only lasts a single round (it was a swift action to cast), and I don't have a second one prepped (need an action to pull it back with pearl of power).[/spoiler]

D'oh, I thought it lasted 1 round/level. Dang.

If you wait until after Umbriel, she might make it easier for you to full attack - but then again I'm not sure you want to be standing next to this guy when he acts next, you'll get hit by the energy-drain aura and he might have another Cone of Cold. Your call.
    Oh no. He's going to be shivering and shaking at his spot now. At least until I figure out the best course of action.

He'll be picking up some ranged wands after this fight, that's for sure.
    Pointing out hypocrisy is not disrespect.

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ettin in the Playground

Togo, I did act (swift-action glitterdust + readying disintegrate to disrupt), it's just not showing up in Subscriptions due to a forum glitch. Just wanted to post here in case you were waiting for me.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Actually I was waiting for any more actions from Sthrer. Still, your readied action has been triggered, I believe.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ettin in the Playground

A DC 160-something Concentration check? Meh, easy.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)