Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1509
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Togo's Planar Adventure set partly in Sigil (OOC)

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Well, if that's how Derk feels, he REALLY shouldn't ask. I mean, the very first fight has shown how Godot feels about killing people.

I would point out, however, that in fact we've done pretty well about NOT killing a lot of people. After the initial flurry of dead gith, I count a few mutated people who may or may not, ultimately, have had any way of becoming human again; a demon (which she does see the necessity of killing), and some undead (again no problem). Not bad, really.

If Derk wants to actually convince Godot that the Abbot needs to die, though, feel free to tell her why. You're assuming that killing an evil person leads to more good. Her assumption is that killing an evil person leads to more evil. And, as you've noted, Derk is a merciful man.
    Well, let's leave that discussion for the IC thingy . But what Derk meant was do we need him alive, right now, to ask him something (for example) which is not necessarily mutually exclusive with executing him later, because once the flail is flailing things can go very fast.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. I (and I suspect Godot, given the fact that her social skills are much better than mine) completely understood what Derk meant. Perhaps she can be forgiven for giving the answer she believes to be true.

This is interesting. As I've said, this is one of my first experience with a character with exalted feats. Thanks for bearing with me.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Ettin in the Playground

This is interesting. As I've said, this is one of my first experience with a character with exalted feats. Thanks for bearing with me.
    I play most of my "Good" characters this way anyway.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I play most of my "Good" characters this way anyway.
    Aye, me too. But once you get cursed, harmed and energy drained by an evil pact-making, undead creation college harbouring self-proclaimed avatar of the god of murder the line gets drawn. If only because I know that if he lives he will come back the next day to kill me, and given his spellcasting prowess quite possibly succesfully.

But let's see how this pans out. For now I am happy Derk is still standing .

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    But once you get cursed, harmed and energy drained by an evil pact-making, undead creation college harbouring self-proclaimed avatar of the god of murder the line gets drawn.
    That's just a day in the adventurer's life. I'm not seeing your point.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Ogre in the Playground

That's just a day in the adventurer's life. I'm not seeing your point.
    Yeh, you are right. I guess Derk is just getting too old for this. Maybe he should go home and plow the old corn field with his flail. He'd be pretty good at that, no?

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Titan in the Playground

Aye, me too. But once you get cursed, harmed and energy drained by an evil pact-making, undead creation college harbouring self-proclaimed avatar of the god of murder the line gets drawn. If only because I know that if he lives he will come back the next day to kill me, and given his spellcasting prowess quite possibly succesfully.

But let's see how this pans out. For now I am happy Derk is still standing .
    Oh, trust me, I understand where you're coming from, and in at least two other games, that's the side that I'm usually arguing. But on the other hand, we've also left an evil-god-grafting mad scientist, a lunatic transformed into a fiend, and a scheming cultist alive (and in the last case, free to go about her business). So is this really that different? We could potentially dump his Cyric-worshipping ass naked through a doorway into another world, and by the time he finds his way back to Sigil we could be long gone.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, trust me, I understand where you're coming from, and in at least two other games, that's the side that I'm usually arguing. But on the other hand, we've also left an evil-god-grafting mad scientist, a lunatic transformed into a fiend, and a scheming cultist alive (and in the last case, free to go about her business). So is this really that different? We could potentially dump his Cyric-worshipping ass naked through a doorway into another world, and by the time he finds his way back to Sigil we could be long gone.
    Good point, and I have actually given it some thought. Derk came to Sigil being a lot less zealous and more tolerant than he used to be. He accepts this is a place where species of different morality coexist and that he, and his belief, does not have any authority here.

During this adventure, and this whole thing we got mixed up in, he has indicated a few times he is not so sure whether we should be doing this (since we do not really know what we are getting ourselves in to). He does not trust the guy we are getting this mirror for, his warlord friend, the deity that's supposed to be stuck in there nor the lady that also wanted the mirror and wanted to seduce Derk. However, he is sticking with the group, fighting for the group and will die for the group. During this process, we left quite a few weirdo's and evildoers alive to continue their habits and Derk went along with the group-flow without complaining (this is Sigil, live and let live, none of my business).

This abbot is different in that he, to Derk, is the head honcho of a very evil church and the main reason/promotor of the fiendish and undead madness we've been facing here. Taking him out would make the world/Sigil a better place, whereas killing a henchman or two won't. Also, this fight has given him the feeling that this is becoming personal. Not only did I deliver a 'killing' blow to him, I am also diametrically opposed to him in many ways (him being an evil priest, me being a good priest (or well, paladin/sacred exorcist)) and I feel that he feels the same way about it: He has, after all, consistently aimed highly evil and very deadly high level magic specifically at Derk. We even had a silent verbal combat . If any of the characters we faced up to now comes after Derk I am confident they won't live to regret it (could be wrong about that, but that is how Derk feels). This abbot will kill Derk in his sleep next week, if not tomorrow.

I do not see him as helpless, not even now. It is taking four high level characters and considerable magic and we are still waiting to see if we can finally somehow constrain him and his high level magic and divinogenic (new word?) protections and pacts. To Derk, letting him live would be a huge tactical blunder. It is going to take quite a bit to convince him otherwise. But then again, if anyone can do that, it would be a small and charming female bard he has a weakness for .

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Titan in the Playground

I do not see him as helpless, not even now. It is taking four high level characters and considerable magic and we are still waiting to see if we can finally somehow constrain him and his high level magic and divinogenic (new word?) protections and pacts. To Derk, letting him live would be a huge tactical blunder. It is going to take quite a bit to convince him otherwise. But then again, if anyone can do that, it would be a small and charming female bard he has a weakness for .
    Pshaw. You're just saying that because Godot likes Derk's ass.

I think that Divinogenic should definitely be a word. There, I called it. It's a word.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I love these kinds of discussions. I did make some effort to make the bad guys bad in different ways, so it's nice to see that being reflected in the player experience. Even though I know that NPC as intended /= NPC as experienced by players.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ok, we're just waiting for Ifni now...

Incidently, Toliudar, you're quite right about the unarmed damage. I've played too many characters with constrict.
    Last edited by Togo; 2012-07-13 at 05:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, I was right about something related to the grappling rules! This may never ever happen again.

Well, every little bit of damage helps!

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps we might assign some general directives to our characters, to be used in case we might not be available to post for some time. It might be useful for times like this.

Something like:

In battle, Rhion usually charges and full attacks:

1)Enemies that engage the group's squishier members
    2)Enemy casters
    3)Everything else

In this order. If reduced to critical health, he will retreat using his form's superior speed, and transforms into a speedy/flying/etc. form if he can't seem to manage that.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah. Sthrer likes Magic Missile, and her bow if no one is in the way, although against enemies that aren't likely to do lots of damage she'll go melee.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    If you understood the above, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91 Subtract one and add to your signature.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess Derk's modes are obvious, but it can't hurt to state them here. I indicated in the beginning that Togo is completely free to just make decisions on Derk's part when I am away (announced or not).

-Option 1:
    Round1. Swift Air devotion (+4 sacred AC, 50% miss chance for missile weapons, 1 min), Standard action Shield (+9 AC, 26 min), move to the one place all other (sane) people don't want to be.
    Round 2. Full attacking, often with Arcane strikes
    Round 3. See round 2

-Or, if he is already at said place, option 2:
    Round 1. Swift Shield, full attack with Arcane strikes
    Round 2. Swift Air devotion, full attack with Arcane strikes
    Round 3. See round 2

When badly wounded he had rather die than expose his friends to danger, he sees that as his 'job', but he will retreat if it can be done without exposing them.
    Some spells I took because I figured they might be useful in combat or problem situations (but in fact I hardly ever used):
    -True seeing
    -Break enchantment
    -Dimensional anchor
    -Wall of ice
    -Flight of the dragon
    -Scale weakening

Also, I would like to point out my soon to be changed signature, indicating periods in which I will be away from computers or will have reduced access to them.
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2012-07-17 at 05:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh, nice complex situation here. This will take some time to resolve and in 12 hours my plane leaves. If anyone ends up next to the abbot, I am happy to perform a Benign transposition and continue my physical encounter with my new best friend.

Since I am away a few days, you can direct Derk about, Togo.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

OK, the Abbot is now standing in the hallway, next to where Umbriel was. You can all see him, but walking up to him involves getting around a blade barrier. (see main post). Everyone may now act again.

--------------------------------

I'm feeling a little guilty on timing, because I've had a somewhat crazy week.

I'm applying for a job. I'm not at this stage exactly what it is, or if I'll get it, or even if I want it, but I strongly suspect it involves clearing up after Bob Diamond's departure from Barcap, which is intimidating me a little.

Meanwhile, at my present job, they've decided that the project I was working on for most of last year was a disaster, so they want someone new to run the whole program. They've aked me to apply. I may be the only qualified applicant. This is intimidating me a little.

Meanwhile the company is being bought by another company. They may or may not keep my division. We'll find out at the end of the year, but several people have already left, leaving me the only qualified person in my field. This is also intimidating me a little.

I also entered my first regional warhammer tournament last weekend. That was intimidating me, but isn't any more.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ok.. I assume your to-hit and damage will remain unchanged for the remainder of the fight?

What should we assume about the fate of the Abbot, should he survive the combat and it come to a vote? Going for principle, or Godot's donkey, or somewhere in between?

Feel free to PM me if you feel that Derk would be more influenced by certain things than he'd be willing to admit in public.

----------

Ohh... first castles, and now Marakesh!

Getting jealous of you is becoming a habit....
    Last edited by Togo; 2012-07-18 at 03:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ogre in the Playground

I also assume my to hit (+30/25/20) and damage (4d6+20) remain unchanged (str penalty and Godot's song included in the numbers here), but there's this short, old man with gray hair and a red robe trying to bring the numbers down all the time, watch out for him! My AC is 45, touch 18, flat-footed 44. F+21, R+11, W+22.

Good luck with all the intimidating stuff, I hope it all turns out the best possible way. Though I think it is very un-cool you are taking it all out on us . Don't get too jealous, by the way, it is 45 deg Celsius up there now and I not only have the looks, but also the blood of a northern barbarian .

As for the Abbot:
    Spoiler
    Show
    he has now, with his last action, shown that he has no intention to get out of this alive unless we are dead. He is a hazard for his environment and just used very violent magic to attack our physically weakest party members, the ladies, my protégées. If it comes to that moment and decision, Derk will kindly give Godot a chance to leave the room.

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

Safe journey, Auto!

Happy thoughts on the new job, Togo!

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Godot, you have passed your save, and so can dive out of the way and take no damage.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Titan in the Playground

Whew! And that's why Chaos Gnome is worth the LA.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ogre in the Playground

Whew! And that's why Chaos Gnome is worth the LA.
    Yay! .

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Ettin in the Playground

Safe journey, Auto!

Here's my reflex save:
    (1d20+13)[19]
    (reserving the right to reroll with my Amulet of Fortune Prevailing if it sucks)

Question for Derk and Rhion: can either of you fight competently in an Antimagic Field? Alternatively, does the answer change if your target is in an AMF but you are not? (so you probably lose any enchantments on your weapon, but not other buffs - not sure how attacking with natural weapons would work, Togo?) I'm seriously considering dropping the Abbot in an AMF, because he's annoying me, and I can shape it so it misses one ally.

(Alternatively I can Alacritously Cogitate something, like a Greater Dispel that takes out every buff at CL 19 or less, but that's a once/day ability and I'm still trying to conserve resources here.)
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Ettin in the Playground

That looks like it calls for a reroll:
    (1d20+13)[21]
    (If we're hasted at the moment, add +1 here and also on the last roll - I'm sorry, I've kind of lost track of which buffs are active)

Also, congratulations and commiserations on all the news, Togo!

EDIT: Well, better than last time, but still not great. Let's see what happens!
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-07-18 at 11:16 PM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    Question for Derk and Rhion: can either of you fight competently in an Antimagic Field? Alternatively, does the answer change if your target is in an AMF but you are not? (so you probably lose any enchantments on your weapon, but not other buffs - not sure how attacking with natural weapons would work, Togo?) I'm seriously considering dropping the Abbot in an AMF, because he's annoying me, and I can shape it so it misses one ally.
    Wild Shape is Su, so if you drop Rhion into an AMF, you might as well take him out of the fight.

For the second question, yes, I think the answer changes. Attacking into a square doesn't let you get affected by stuff in that square. So, if you can isolate the abbot in an AMF, feel free to do so.

And if I saw enough of Derk's fighting, I'm guessing he would be badly affected by getting put in an AMF as well.

That said, I'm kinda looking for a caster solution before charging into the Blade Barrier. I mean, Rhion can possibly take the damage for a couple of rounds, but then would be greatly put in risk if the abbot decides to drop a spell on him.

Edit: Also, I haven't fully understood your predicaments, Togo, but good luck anyway.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-07-19 at 12:26 AM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ettin in the Playground

Wild Shape is Su, so if you drop Rhion into an AMF, you might as well take him out of the fight.

For the second question, yes, I think the answer changes. Attacking into a square doesn't let you get affected by stuff in that square. So, if you can isolate the abbot in an AMF, feel free to do so.

And if I saw enough of Derk's fighting, I'm guessing he would be badly affected by getting put in an AMF as well.
    I know it'll take Derk down a long way (and I figured that was the answer for Rhion, unless he had a way to make shapeshifting Ex - I think there are a couple around). However, the last time I played a self-buffing combat cleric, she was utterly nerfed by being stuck in an AMF. And this guy has been playing as a primary caster... but yeah, it's an emergency measure, and works better with someone who can do non-magical grappling.

(Note to self: prep more Greater Dispels. One + Alacritous Cogitation is really not enough.)

That said, I'm kinda looking for a caster solution before charging into the Blade Barrier. I mean, Rhion can possibly take the damage for a couple of rounds, but then would be greatly put in risk if the abbot decides to drop a spell on him.
    Togo, quick question, when he did his immediate-action-get-out-of-grapple deal, did that look like a teleport effect (i.e. did he vanish and reappear), or did he just move quickly across the room?
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    Togo, quick question, when he did his immediate-action-get-out-of-grapple deal, did that look like a teleport effect (i.e. did he vanish and reappear), or did he just move quickly across the room?
    Teleport, via an immediate action, during your action. If he had just moved, I would have had to describe him getting out of Godot's grapple.

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Titan in the Playground

Togo: Squeezing in her current square sounds about perfect for Godot.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Bugbear in the Playground

(1d20+8)[13] and into the window seat. Possibly out the window, since she has Climb 15.

Wait, quick question--can you use Ethereal Jaunt to dodge? If so, she'll do that.
    Last edited by GuesssWho; 2012-07-21 at 07:23 PM.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    If you understood the above, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91 Subtract one and add to your signature.