Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1509
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Togo's Planar Adventure set partly in Sigil (OOC)

Yay! <general rejoicing>

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Titan in the Playground

There's not a lot more that Godot can do until the blade barrier vanishes. Um. How long have we been talking?
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    How long have we been talking?
    For too long ... .

Sorry, saw this post after my IC post, just had to .
    No PbP posting during the Easter weekend (Fri-Mon)

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    For too long ... .
    That's the loudest that I've laughed in several days. I actually had to explain myself to a co-worker.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ogre in the Playground

That's the loudest that I've laughed in several days. I actually had to explain myself to a co-worker.

Ye gods, you are working now? I am just opening another beer and urging myself to go to bed, since I need to start working in seven hours. Today's world keeps amazing me .

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

Well, an eight hour time difference will have that effect. I'd like to think that GitP is doing its own small part in assisting international harmony - by encouraging us to slaughter invisible enemies side by side.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ok, 17 on a touch is actually a miss - unless anyone can think of any bonuses Derk might be missing?

Derk, you can try and catch her flat-footed, which would obviously make your job easier. I'd say either a bluff check to try and fool her as to your intentions, OR a straight initiative roll, opposed by her, to see if you can just be quicker than her, depending on whether you're trying to be subtle, or trying to be quick.

Sense motive 20
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vellia seemed very surpised when Ifni asked a question, almost as if she hadn't expected her to talk.

Toliduar, blade barrier shows no sign of dying down, but Godot can scooch around it, provided she's careful.

Ifni
    Spoiler
    Show
    The outercircle is a standard magic circle of protection, modified by rituals and glyphs to also protect against divination effects. You get nothing from inside the outer circle at all.

Vellia has active magical effects on her - faint illusion, and moderate evocation. No magic items that you can see, which considering her clothing, probably means no items.

Derk's curse appears to have faded.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ogre in the Playground

Though I have a high charsma, bluffing is not Derk's style. I will attempt to catch her with my supernatural speed: (1d20+1)[15].

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ettin in the Playground

(1d20)[3] Sense Motive let's try for the natural 20!

EDIT: Eheh. Ah well, glad that particular roll wasn't on something more important

@Togo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I step over the outer circle without breaking the glyphs, should it affect the protections at all, to Umbriel's knowledge?
    Last edited by Ifni; 2012-09-08 at 04:09 PM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    [roll0] Sense Motive let's try for the natural 20!

EDIT: Eheh. Ah well, glad that particular roll wasn't on something more important

@Togo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I step over the outer circle without breaking the glyphs, should it affect the protections at all, to Umbriel's knowledge?
    If Derk had Umbriel's brains and Umbriel had Derk's (recent) rolls, we would have totally crushed this campaign .

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

@Ifni
    Spoiler
    Show

No.

PLease note that there's only a few inches between the inner and outer circles.

@Derk
    (1d20)[19]
    No, looks like she saw it coming. And dodged. Only just, but she dodged. You have had some really rubbish rolls.

She then vanishes. I'm happy to edit the last post if anyone else wants to do or say something before she disappears.
    Last edited by Togo; 2012-09-08 at 07:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think Sthrer will be going on an 'I'm surrounded by morons' rant any time now. She is totally facepalming at you people. Honestly, you have a farspawn in your party and you're upset about her being nice to a fiend. You should be feeling lucky that's the weirdest things have gotten so far.

Of course, if anyone asked her her advice would be to let everything out of the mirror, then lose it on an uninhabited layer of the Abyss with a notice-me-not curse on it. Which might not be the greatest idea, but better than some.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    If you understood the above, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91 Subtract one and add to your signature.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Ettin in the Playground

Umbriel will probably say something, but one question first: does her blindsense or see invisibility pick up anyone still within the room, other than what we can see? Also, my Ring of Spell-Battle lets me ID spellcasting within 60ft even if I can't see or hear the casting (with a Spellcraft check, but I can't fail it); I don't know if spell-like abilities would count. In case they do, or in case that was a spell, can I tell what she did?
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

It was a spell-like ability, rather than a spell, so you can't work what it does save by it's effects.

You don't pick up any invisible people in the room.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

So, my understanding of the situation is that Umbriel is just outside the room, Ssthrer is more or less trapped in an alcove by the spinning blades, Godot is flattened up against the wall, and Rhion and Derk are in the main part of the room. So, the only ones really able to interact with the abbot are Derk and Rhion.

Am I mistaken?

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Both Godot and Sthrer can get out from behind the blades by squeezing. While dangerous in combat, this isn't particularly difficult if you're not rushing. Umbriel was, last time I checked, examining the magic circle. Certainly she can get into the room, again by squeezing past the end of the blade barrier, so I'd suggest people can move relatively freely.

The one thing you can't do is get a long inflexible object past the blade barrier and into the corridor. Such as furniture, the mirror or an Abbot who is still in full armour.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    It was a spell-like ability, rather than a spell, so you can't work what it does save by it's effects.

You don't pick up any invisible people in the room.
    I'm almost certain that a spell-like ability can be detected the same via Spellcraft by RAW, but your rules.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

My apologies to all. Was there a description of a warded mirror that I missed? I seem to recall a mirror in the room, but I don't remember picking up any special juju from it. It's all a bit blurry, so I'm happy to eat crow on this.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2012-09-12 at 10:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ettin in the Playground

My apologies to all. Was there a description of a warded mirror that I missed? I seem to recall a mirror in the room, but I don't remember picking up any special juju from it. It's all a bit blurry, so I'm happy to eat crow on this.
    Yeah, if I understood correctly, there's a mirror that matches the description of the one we were looking for, inside a double circle of wards. Umbriel has been examining the magic circles. She was avoiding mentioning the mirror or talking about her conclusions until Vellia left, since it seemed like the wards might actually be preventing her from seeing it (and if they weren't, and she was just assuming it was a decoy / playing with us, no harm done).

When nobody else in the party seemed to have registered the mirror, I was considering having Umbriel make a crack about the designers of the ward having apparently invented Magic Circle vs the Less Intelligent, and how much more vastly useful this would be than Magic Circle vs Evil/Good/Law/Chaos, but then Sthrer mentioned it

She's just checking for traps without using divination magic now - she can imagine a setup where there's something nasty in the inner circle, hidden by an illusion, with the aura cloaked by the anti-divination wards. Umbriel has a bit of a tendency toward paranoia If her search checks show up nothing, she'll check the desk for traps so you guys can look around there, and then step over the first circle of wards and start checking the second one. (She also thinks that one is harmless - people with good Sense Motive might pick that up, the tension she showed earlier was mostly faked - but she wants to double-check.)
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, thanks Ifni. If the mirror is in the desk alcove with Sthrer, then she might be the only one who can currently reach it at the moment.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's the description of the room from when we first came in:

The wrecked door leads into a large, well appointed room. The north wall is dominated by a window seat, the faceted red glass bulging out over the street, and allowing a clear, if red-tinted, view of the world outside. The window is flanked with red velvet curtains the seat has black velvet cushions, picked out in gold brocade.

Beyond that, what must be a bed is set against the eastern wall. A red velvet curtain obscures the bed itself, falling to just above the ground. Unlike a four-poster bed, the bed is narrow, and the curtain runs on rails driven into the stonework of the walls. A large wardrobe fills the corner with the south wall, The door inlaid with a paler wood in a pattern that forms a highly stylised bird rising from a fire.

On the south wall there is a large mirror in a thick lead frame. The frame is decorated with a pattern of stick figures, tall and thin, twisted into strange shapes. On the ground in front of the glass are three semi-circles of wards, set in a pattern to suggest a barrier or part of a magic circle.

Next to that, in the corner of the south and west walls, is a writing desk. Various papers and manuscripts litter the desk, and a well worn chair with padded embroidary seat, back and arms, decorated with brass studs, is pulled up next to it.

On the west wall, sitting on a small table, is a tiny shrine. It consists of a backpeice and two side peices supporting a black iron symbol of Cyric in the middle. The peices are picked out in ivory and silver on the inside, and red laquer on the outside. The hinges and leather straps suggest the whole shrine might well fold up into a portable, if bulky, red laquer box.
    So I was wrong, three circles of wards. Also, hah, that was a clue on the wardrobe and I entirely missed it. Phoenix-Abbot!
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, was I misremembering stuff. Thanks, Ifni!

23. - Top - End - #1193

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    When nobody else in the party seemed to have registered the mirror, I was considering having Umbriel make a crack about the designers of the ward having apparently invented Magic Circle vs the Less Intelligent, and how much more vastly useful this would be than Magic Circle vs Evil/Good/Law/Chaos, but then Sthrer mentioned it
    LOL this.

Oh, by the way, have you decided what kind of fiend our friend there was? Succubus or Erinyes?
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I'm almost certain that a spell-like ability can be detected the same via Spellcraft by RAW, but your rules.
    I couldn't find a reference for this. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'm happy to be pursuaded.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    I couldn't find a reference for this. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'm happy to be pursuaded.
    While, as a DM, I would intuitively rule as Cespenar did, I did a search and could not find proof of that position. Au contraire, even.

SRD:
    SPELLCRAFT (INT; TRAINED ONLY)
    15 + spell level Identify a spell being cast. (You must see or hear the spellís verbal or somatic components.) No action required. No retry.
    20 + spell level Identify a spell thatís already in place and in effect. You must be able to see or detect the effects of the spell. No action required. No retry.
    SRD:
    Special Abilities: A special ability is either extraordinary (Ex), spell-like (Sp), or supernatural (Su).

Spell-Like: Spell-like abilities are magical and work just like spells (though they are not spells and so have no verbal, somatic, material, focus, or XP components). They go away in an antimagic field and are subject to spell resistance if the spell the ability resembles or duplicates would be subject to spell resistance.
    This leads me to think that one can not Spellcraft a spell-like ability while it is being cast, but one could Spellcraft the spell after is has taken effect (if applicable: Wall of Ice or Fireball, yes, Invisibility and Teleport, no).

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ettin in the Playground

My Ring of Spell-Battle lets me spellcraft even if I can't see/hear it, which is why I was asking. But it says it lets you identify spellcasting, if I remember the wording correctly, and spell-like abilities are in kind of a gray area there. The ring would unambiguously let me ID a Stilled, Silent spell, I'm not sure on spell-likes, which is why I asked for a ruling. I'm fine either way.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm. Autopsi's argument is logical. I stand corrected, but that Ring of Spell-Battle thingy seems to answer the only caveat that prevents the spell-like ability from being spellcrafted.

All in all, it seems like a RAW gray area, with RAI tending towards a positive ruling.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Sorry, didn't realise you were waiting for me. It's obvious in retrospect...

29. - Top - End - #1199

Rings and third eye sound interesting. Sthrer will want to look through them once we have time, maybe take a couple.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Just to warn you, I'm away for most of the weekend, and may not have internet.