Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Togo's Planar Adventure set partly in Sigil (OOC)

Togo, thanks, your math is correct. I did forget about the +8 to hit and, more importantly, damage. I think Saffron's opinion of Godot just rose slightly...
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Holy! Your numbers were without Godot's boost? The respect is mutual.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

SPoD, did you also forget that your bow is +5 at the moment?

It looks like everyone but Sthrer and Saffron meet the targeting conditions for Haste, so I'm going to post on that assumption - if I'm misreading the map, please let me know.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    SPoD, did you also forget that your bow is +5 at the moment?

It looks like everyone but Sthrer and Saffron meet the targeting conditions for Haste, so I'm going to post on that assumption - if I'm misreading the map, please let me know.
    I did, actually. I think I turned that guy into chunky salsa.

EDIT: Yeah, I did 20 extra points of damage than the 135 needed to knock him out: +12 for the critical, and then +4 to the second and fourth arrows. There's no way he's NOT dead. Togo, given that revised damage, would he have gotten knocked out before the last arrow drove into him? If so, I'd like to hold my fire on the last one. I'm willing to just give up the fourth attack altogether (as in, I'm not looking to hit someone else with it), I just don't want to shoot an unconscious man.
    Last edited by SPoD; 2011-06-17 at 02:18 AM.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Spod has it right.
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I did, actually. I think I turned that guy into chunky salsa.

EDIT: Yeah, I did 20 extra points of damage than the 135 needed to knock him out: +12 for the critical, and then +4 to the second and fourth arrows. There's no way he's NOT dead. Togo, given that revised damage, would he have gotten knocked out before the last arrow drove into him? If so, I'd like to hold my fire on the last one. I'm willing to just give up the fourth attack altogether (as in, I'm not looking to hit someone else with it), I just don't want to shoot an unconscious man.
    Yes, you take him out with just two arrows.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

egad! 7 rolls, and my highest is a 13? The dice do not like me today!

Penrose, your move.

EDIT - followed by 1, 5, 5, 7, 15, 7. <humph>
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-06-17 at 07:26 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Sorry, I have been having a crazy week at work.
    Pointing out hypocrisy is not disrespect.

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Just to clarify, all the people who were higher initiative than the NPCs have now acted, and the spider riders have now acted. So now everyone in the party gets to act again. Rhion, Simon, you shouldn't have acted until now. You're both welcome to act now with the actions you've listed, or you can change your mind.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-06-17 at 07:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

I'm thinking Sthrer would put an ice wall between the public and the nearest spider rider. Where would that wall go, and what would I need to roll?
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    If you understood the above, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91 Subtract one and add to your signature.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I think I liquified another rider. Critical hit on the 4th arrow.
    Spod has it right.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe your first three arrows dropped him, and you'll get to redirect the crit? Maybe? I feel a bit sorry for Godot and her Vow of Nonviolence

Togo, re grapple damage, the way I read Evards is that on casting the tentacles just grab to hold, they can grapple to crush (for damage) on subsequent rounds ("once the tentacles grapple an opponent, they may make a grapple check each round on your turn to deal 1d6+4 points of bludgeoning damage"). If you disagree, feel free to roll the damages for me, it's just 1d6+4 for each grappled creature - or I can roll them after I get your response if you prefer.

*kicks self* Why on the Prime do I have Benign Transposition memorized instead of Blood Wind, when I knew we were going to Sigil?

If you have any requests for Umbriel's action, feel free to ask her IC through the Message; she's feeling inclined to chill out and conserve her spells, now that the vile gith-minions are all either nicely tangled up in tentacles or being perforated by Saffron, but will happily provide magical assistance if anyone needs it to join the fun (for example, I can pop off a Mass Fly if that would be useful to Derk and/or change Rhion and Simon's actions - Umbriel has no intention of going near the spiders herself, Str damage is nasty! She needs her allies to actually deal with them )
    Last edited by Ifni; 2011-06-17 at 08:30 PM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132

Beholder

My character might seem helpless, but he just doesn't want his cover blown.

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I think I liquified another rider. Critical hit on the 4th arrow.
    Nice shooting. Yes, that will kill the rider WEST on the 4th arrow hit (not before).

Note that if you switch to a target that's in a grapple, you'll be firing into a grapple, and thus need to randomise which you hit of the tentacles or the rider.

Can you remind me what you're using to ignore cover, or does that not still apply?

Togo, re grapple damage, the way I read Evards is that on casting the tentacles just grab to hold, they can grapple to crush (for damage) on subsequent rounds
    True, my mistake.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by GuesssWho View Post
    I'm thinking Sthrer would put an ice wall between the public and the nearest spider rider. Where would that wall go, and what would I need to roll?
    Rider SOUTH. You could do a wall across the edge of the roof. There's no guarentee that a spider might not be able to jump or climb over it, although whether or not that would be easy is another matter. No roll necessary

Alternatively, you could enclose the spider rider and his mount (and all the tentacles) in a hemisphere of ice. That would trap them unless they managed to break through it, but it would simply fail if they made their reflex save.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    you remind me what you're using to ignore cover, or does that not still apply?
    Improved Precise Shot. In fact, it also specifically says when I shoot into a grapple, I always hit the right target.
    Spod has it right.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Obrysii, I feel you may also be overlooking the +8 morale bonus to hit and damage from Godot, and the fact that if you were anywhere near Umbriel in the morning, every weapon you own is now +5 (okay, if there are more than 20 weapons among the party, not ALL of them are magical, but when we discussed this earlier I think we only got to a total of 5)

Also, Umbriel did mention that the spiders are undead (whispered through the previously cast Message spell to the rest of the party), so unless your PC is unusually sympathetic to the undead for a gold dragon, I don't think he need have any qualms about re-killing it
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

Beholder

Obrysii, I feel you may also be overlooking the +8 morale bonus to hit and damage from Godot, and the fact that if you were anywhere near Umbriel in the morning, every weapon you own is now +5 (okay, if there are more than 20 weapons among the party, not ALL of them are magical, but when we discussed this earlier I think we only got to a total of 5)

Also, Umbriel did mention that the spiders are undead (whispered through the previously cast Message spell to the rest of the party), so unless your PC is unusually sympathetic to the undead for a gold dragon, I don't think he need have any qualms about re-killing it
    My apologies. I have had a hectic week and did not realize any of that.

So add +8 to my attack (total of 39) and +8 to my damage (so it's 15). And also, I suppose my character has no sympathies for an undead spider.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    My apologies. I have had a hectic week and did not realize any of that.

So add +8 to my attack (total of 39) and +8 to my damage (so it's 15). And also, I suppose my character has no sympathies for an undead spider.
    No need to apologize! I wasn't trying to be snarky, it's easy to miss these things, I just wanted to make sure you knew about the buffs and the info
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Just to clarify, all the people who were higher initiative than the NPCs have now acted, and the spider riders have now acted. So now everyone in the party gets to act again. Rhion, Simon, you shouldn't have acted until now. You're both welcome to act now with the actions you've listed, or you can change your mind.
    Sorry, I was unsure of what would happen in case of an equal initiative count, so I wrote up Rhion's action nevertheless.

Anyway. Rhion doesn't do anything than getting himself some wings, he merely watches, since the situation looks well under control.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-06-18 at 04:50 PM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ok, so still waiting for Umbriel (who has implied she's going to delay unless anyone asks her to do otherwise), and Sthrer, who was asking about wall of ice. And also Simon, who I managed to leave out of the initiative order entirely. Sorry about that THEChanger!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, so still waiting for Umbriel (who has implied she's going to delay unless anyone asks her to do otherwise), and Sthrer, who was asking about wall of ice. And also Simon, who I managed to leave out of the initiative order entirely. Sorry about that THEChanger!
    Count me as delaying, I want to see how they react to Godot (although if anyone has any requests, please do just ask). I'll write an IC post where I'll also roll the tentacles' grapples for damage this round.

EDIT: ... okay, I'm grateful the dicebot saved that for a relatively inconsequential grapple-for-damage roll. 5, 4, 6, and 3 on 4d20! Y'all have fun with the spiders, I think Umbriel needs a beer
    Last edited by Ifni; 2011-06-18 at 09:19 PM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Togo, do I get the impression that the mercenaries didn't hear Godot at all, could hear but not understand, or understood but are unaffected? She's not used to being ignored.

I understand the challenges of using diplomacy checks in combat, but I thought that she was making a fairly persuasive point about what actually served their self-interests best at this point.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

23. - Top - End - #143

Beholder

Was my attack ignored?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Togo, do I get the impression that the mercenaries didn't hear Godot at all, could hear but not understand, or understood but are unaffected? She's not used to being ignored.

I understand the challenges of using diplomacy checks in combat, but I thought that she was making a fairly persuasive point about what actually served their self-interests best at this point.
    You did, you reckon they probably heard you, and yes you're self-aware enough to know you were very pursuasive.

So something else is going on? Either they know something about their chances that you don't, or they're more concerned about their mission than their own self-interest, or they're being mind controlled, or they're fanatics hoping to die in battle, or etc. etc. etc.

But yeah, you'd be expecting them to be talking to you right now. They're not.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    Was my attack ignored?
    Sorry I should have posted some description there. I've added some to one of the previous posts.

You did hit, and you clearly did damage, and the undead spider now looks more hurt than it was.

On its action it broke free from the tentacles. It didn't have any more actions, so it couldn't attack you, but it looks like it's about to.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking for information on the Iron Tower, do I know if they have any kind of honor code that requires them to die rather than fail in a mission, or something similar?

Knowledge (Local) (1d20+20)[37]
    Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) (1d20+20)[33]
    Knowledge (History) (1d20+20)[27]
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

It's a lawful neutral githyanki military organisation. They will likely be highly disicplined, to put it mildly. The githyanki are very big on death before dishonour, death after dishonour, and death on matters of honour. Suicide attacks would be not be typical behaviour, however.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-06-20 at 04:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a lawful neutral githyanki military organisation. They will likely be highly disicplined, to put it mildly. The githyanki are very big on death before dishonour, death after dishonour, and death on matters of honour. Suicide attacks would be not be typical behaviour, however.
    Did you just describe feudal Japan?
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Derk, sorry, in my smmary I didn't mean to imply that you hadn't reached your destination. I need to be more careful in my summaries. Next battle, I'll try and have a proper map ready.

Waiting for Godot (and Umbriel).
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-06-20 at 05:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Derk, sorry, in my smmary I didn't mean to imply that you hadn't reached your destination. I need to be more careful in my summaries. Next battle, I'll try and have a proper map ready.

Waiting for Godot (and Umbriel).
    No worries, it is really working out ok for me like this.
    No PbP posting during the Easter weekend (Fri-Mon)