Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Togo's Planar Adventure set partly in Sigil (OOC)

Feel free to know whatever you like about Sthrer.

Speaking of which, I can imagine things getting . . . interesting if the others find out about her heritage. :D
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    If you understood the above, click here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91 Subtract one and add to your signature.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GuesssWho View Post
    Feel free to know whatever you like about Sthrer.

Speaking of which, I can imagine things getting . . . interesting if the others find out about her heritage. :D
    Maybe I'm not picturing Sthrerrbhna's appearance correctly. Doesn't she have tentacles, gills, big eyes and a tail? I think we'd be pretty clear that there's something unusual with her. Even if she has shapechanging, there's enough variations on True Seeing floating around this group...it might be easiest for us to just know.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

3. - Top - End - #243

Yeah, but the tentacles are hidden under her clothes, her gills are barely noticable and her extra eyes are small and kept closed when not needed. Sometimes the best disguise isn't magical, just common sense.

The tail, though, is a bit obvious. But then weird things abound in Sigil, and that's not the same as being a Lovecraftian entity. Even a minor one.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"

4. - Top - End - #244

Rolling Know Religion and History to see what I know about those lovely little stories they mentioned, if anything.
    Religion-(1d20+20)[23]
    History-(1d20+20)[29]
    Last edited by THEChanger; 2011-07-12 at 10:15 PM.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

Awesome Hex avatar by kpenguin

5. - Top - End - #245

I guess I'll roll Know. (Arcana), since it's a magic item?

(1d20+11)[20]
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Ditto on the stories and mirror:

Know arcana: (1d20+22)[39]
    Know history: (1d20+10)[20]
    Know religion: (1d20+10)[15]
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, this is fun So many things that neither I nor Umbriel knew about Sigil...

I have no objections to the teleport ruling, but is that something I would know on a Knowledge check, or something I should have Umbriel ask about IC? She was assuming the converse was true in the last fight, and she will probably call in and cast an Anticipate Teleportation spell at the earliest opportunity, once she knows otherwise.

Please advise if there are any notable auras in this area, if my Arcane Sight is still going.

Umbriel's Knowledge checks on everything that might possibly be relevant to the mirror:
    Spoiler
    Show

Arcana (1d20+37)[48]
    Planes (1d20+37)[47]
    Religion (1d20+37)[52]
    History (1d20+20)[25]
    Dungeoneering (1d20+20)[33] (perhaps it was retrieved from some dark, deep, dungeon?)
    Nobility & Royalty (1d20+20)[37] (or the pride of some noble's castle, the scrying mirror he used to maintain his rule?)
    Architecture and Engineering (1d20+20)[33] (perhaps it was the castle that was famous, not the noble?)
    Geography (1d20+20)[34] (to recognize places they were talking about)
    Nature (1d20+20)[38] (to understand the mirror-making process being discussed, and see if it makes sense or could have any unexpected side-effects)

Also, Knowledge (Local) (1d20+20)[34] to see if I know anything about Nephira, Knowledge (Local) (1d20+20)[27] and Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+37)[56] on the temple that was at the site.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2011-07-10 at 12:26 AM.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Hey guys, I'm back, but there's too much to read to post right this second. In particular, I need to go and check who healed me how much and when. I'll try to do that later tonight or tomorrow, and then I can post normally again.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Regarding Derk's comment about tactical discussions, Umbriel would like to do this as well, but if we don't get to cover everything IC, the main points that Umbriel would go over in any such discussion are:

(anyone can read the following, including the GM, there's nothing in there particularly tricksy or secret )
    Combat tactical considerations:
    Spoiler
    Show

-My familiar has Mass Fly imbued, and I have it prepped. If more than one person needs to fly in any given combat, it's probably more spell- and action-efficient to let Umbriel/Valthrax toss it up. However, keep in mind that Mass Fly (a) has the same targeting limitations as Haste (everyone needs to be within 30ft) and (b) you need to have a fly-buddy who stays within 30ft of you, the spell will lapse if you're ever more than 30ft away from everyone else affected. (Familiars can play this role for casters, if they're targetable when I cast the spell.)

-I have the spell Dimension Step from PHB2, and also Greater Dimension Door and Benign Transposition (SpC). The primary purpose of these spells, for me, is to shuttle people into the places where they need to be, e.g. full attack range for meleers Now that it's clarified we can teleport-hop around in Sigil, I am more than happy to put people right next to the big nasty monsters so they can unload a full attack (or conversely, to snatch casters out of "grappled, silenced, help!" situations). If you can let me know which PCs would like to be placed next to big nasty monsters, that would be very helpful More generally, if your PC ever has some critical thing they need to do in combat that requires them to be in a different spot and you can't afford a move action (or can't get far enough), please just let me know: Umbriel is pretty mobile and can spontaneously quicken benign transposition.

-I have Mass Resist Energy as a spontaneous spell. If we are fighting something with nasty energy attacks, I'll put it up (or I can do Mass Fireshield if that looks like a better option). As with flight magic, unless only 1-2 people need the resistance, it's probably a better use of actions for me to cast this than for people to put up their own individual resist energy spells.

Long-term buffs:
    Spoiler
    Show

-I have Phantom Steed as a spontaneous spell. If it would be advantageous to you to have a fragile flying horse, just let me know This is usually a good option for casters but a bad option for people who are going into melee (because the steeds are fragile), unless you're a charger who needs a renewable flying mount.

-If there is a fighter bonus feat that you would like, tell me and I will gladly give it to you with Heroics - this lasts 200 minutes, or 400 if extended. (Note I have 16 spells of this level, between wizard and beguiler: please don't feel you'd be depleting my resources!) As examples, perhaps Power Attack for Derk (since Godot is providing that lovely +8 attack bonus), or Woodland Archer (RotW) for Saffron?

-If you pay the cost and tell me a day in advance, I am happy to cast Create Magic Tattoo (CL 20) on anyone who asks.

-If anyone is an AC tank and doesn't have natural armor yet (or alternatively, is planning to melee and doesn't have very good AC), let me know and I can give you a 7-hour-ish Extended Spiderskin.

I'm absolutely not trying to tell any of you what to do in combat, but tactical coordination is good, and I have all these pretty buffs I'd like to get to use (and Umbriel's spellbooks/sheet are a bit of a pain to wade through)

If anyone has specific spell requests please let me know as well, I'm sure we can find scrolls for purchase in Sigil
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks ifni.

I don't have too much to add to the buffing discussion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inspire Courage is Godot's primary contribution to group impact in combat. After that, she's mostly focused on action denial.

I LOVE me some phantom steed. Godot's got the spell, though, so will normally be able to take care of it herself.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Sorry for the delay folks. I'm just trying to get the legends in order for you.

Derk did cast true seeing before he stepped through the portal. However, the duration on that effect is quite short, so I've been assuming it wore off already, unless I'm missing something?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Derk has benign transposition and will make clear that he will use that to put himself in the place of a friend that is in a pickle. It is my main (and only) 'tanking' tool.

Derk does not have much to add to the buffing thing. I come from a DnD culture in which players moderate themselves, which is the reason why Derk does not have Power Attack (with gr. mighty wallop, arcane strike, scale weakening and godot singing that can become really nasty). I would not mind having access to power attack, I do wonder how Togo and the other players feel about that (~61 dam per hit, 76 vs undead). I guess in the context of Saffron it is okay, but I don't know about the power level of the other characters.

The same goes for the AC thing. I guess you could call me an AC tank and I would benefit greatly from a natural armor enhancement bonus. However, right now my AC will be 40 in combat. I don't know how that compares to others', but I think 40 is fairly high at this level. I won't mind bumping that to 45, but I also don't mind having someone else increase his/her lower AC.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    Sorry for the delay folks. I'm just trying to get the legends in order for you.

Derk did cast true seeing before he stepped through the portal. However, the duration on that effect is quite short, so I've been assuming it wore off already, unless I'm missing something?
    Yes, it has worn off, for sure. However, I assumed I noticed something special about Androse (which I purposefully decided not to act upon at that point).
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2011-07-12 at 02:40 AM.
    No PbP posting during the Easter weekend (Fri-Mon)

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

No worries Togo, looking forward to the legends Umbriel will have quill and ink and paper ready.

More buffing discussion:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    Derk has benign transposition and will make clear that he will use that to put himself in the place of a friend that is in a pickle. It is my main (and only) 'tanking' tool.
    Sweet I don't think you can have too many BT-users in a party, it's one of my favorite spells.

If we are going to use tactical teleportation a lot I'll hold off on the Anticipate Teleport, it's a good anti-ambush tool but a total pain if multiple PCs employ teleport-based mobility magic.

Derk does not have much to add to the buffing thing. I come from a DnD culture in which players moderate themselves, which is the reason why Derk does not have Power Attack (with gr. mighty wallop, arcane strike, scale weakening and godot singing that can become really nasty). I would not mind having access to power attack, I do wonder how Togo and the other players feel about that (~61 dam per hit, 76 vs undead). I guess in the context of Saffron it is okay, but I don't know about the power level of the other characters.
    Yeah, same here in the sense that I'm accustomed to people aiming for a particular (fairly vaguely defined) power level, not blindly building the most optimized character they can, although our assumed target power levels may be different. Those numbers do not seem unreasonable to me for L15, but it's clearly a problem if half the party is doing that and the other half is not (unless the "half that's not" is made up of characters who do not see combat damage as their Thing - I don't think Umbriel and Godot would be particularly upset about never rolling an attack ). Part of what I'd like to do with buffs is help everyone get to a power level where they can feel their character is getting a chance to really shine - ideally without hitting a power level where Togo refuses to write encounters for us anymore

One aspect of my D&D culture is that I'm used to thinking of buff spells as a shared party resource, and assuming that if I'm playing a primary spellcaster at high level, my job in combat is basically to enable everyone else to be awesome while stopping the bad guys from fighting back effectively. However, I do not want to make the game un-fun for the GM either, and I'm happy to cross spells or tactics off my list if they're just too annoying.

The same goes for the AC thing. I guess you could call me an AC tank and I would benefit greatly from a natural armor enhancement bonus. However, right now my AC will be 40 in combat. I don't know how that compares to others', but I think 40 is fairly high at this level. I won't mind bumping that to 45, but I also don't mind having someone else increase his/her lower AC.
    Perhaps I should hold off on the extra buffs for the moment, and we should see how the next fight or two go? The first one didn't really give most of you a chance to show off your abilities (partly my fault, I figured the Evards would just slow them down and let you guys take them on one at a time, but (a) I hadn't actually realized that we had an Improved Precise Shot volley archer in the party, and (b) the dicebot was not on their side).
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    Derk does not have much to add to the buffing thing. I come from a DnD culture in which players moderate themselves, which is the reason why Derk does not have Power Attack (with gr. mighty wallop, arcane strike, scale weakening and godot singing that can become really nasty).
    I sadly come from a D&D culture where if you do not min/max, you will fall desperately behind. However, to that end, I have not largely min/maxed Xiulcoatl - to the point where he hasn't even been in his real form yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder
    However, right now my AC will be 40 in combat. I don't know how that compares to others', but I think 40 is fairly high at this level. I won't mind bumping that to 45, but I also don't mind having someone else increase his/her lower AC.
    With self-generated (re: wand) buffs, I can reach AC 34. With some kind of boost to my natural armor, it'll go higher accordingly.

The biggest "trick" I can do is the fact I can fly with 200ft speed, soon decent maneuverability (I plan to buy a pectoral of flight as soon as we're done with plot stuff and can move more freely in the city), and I can drop 1600 pound rocks on people. I haven't figured out how much damage that would do, but it's a pretty large amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder
    Yes, it has worn off, for sure. However, I assumed I noticed something special about Androse (which I purposefully decided not to act upon at that point).
    If you were using True Seeing, you saw his true form - a slender, tensely muscled (as if denser muscle than you'd expect), brightly-colored, approximately of Large-size golden dragon with only hints of the characteristic facial tendrils .
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2011-07-12 at 08:30 AM.
    Pointing out hypocrisy is not disrespect.

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Rhion is pretty much a melee guy himself, which I'll mean to show if the chance presents itself. Anyway, his main shtick is to wild shape into various forms and pounce/grapple/poison/swallow the crap out of people, so, he could theoretically use a well-timed Benign Transposition, since it costs a move action to wild shape. But he won't probably need any natural armor bonuses, since almost all the shapes have that in large scoops.

He is, in short, a highly nerfed down Druid (sacrificed both the casting and the companion), but I find the "turn into stuff" premise fun, so there's that.

And sorry, I'm usually more verbose in my IC posts, but I'm not sure exactly why is that the case.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-07-12 at 10:25 AM.
    PbP Game Statistics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Updated 19.07.13)
    Games Joined: 53
    Games Dead: 50
    Games Successfully Finished: 0
    Partially Finished/TPK'd: 1

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Saffron is basically a single-classed ranger, nothing more. It's the extra buffs that really pushed her from "effective" to "dominating" in that encounter. Plus the fact that I was shooting fish in a barrel after Round 1.

Don't waste time worrying about her position, though; she can melee almost as well as she can shoot thanks to high Strength for an archer and a weapon that goes both ways. So you won't need to use BT to move me in order for me to be effective. However, if someone else wants to move into melee and Saffron is there, feel free to swap her out. She can shoot from anywhere.

Same thing for flying; she has Gylda if its in the open, she has an item that casts Fly 3/day, and she can shoot farther than anyone could fly in one round anyway. So, if you're casting Mass Fly and want to tack it on her, cool, but it's not necessary most of the time in combat.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

17. - Top - End - #257

Sthrer is pretty much characterization-based, except for spells, so she's probably pretty weak for her level. She's full of plot hooks, though!

As for buffs and such, she has Permanency, Spider Climb, Water Breathing, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Comprehend Languages, Greater Invisibility . . . yeah, lots of stuff.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Summary so far

Hoaky, summary time.

You were all travelling to Sigil. The planned route was through the outlands to an inn run by a faction called the Athars. They apparently believe Gods are frauds.

When you arrived at the inn, it wasn't there any more, and there was a huge swathe of destruction. You also found Kalinor, Uzark, a few wagons and about 20 drivers, guards, etc. Kalinor is a merchant from a country called Chaldecott, hoping to set up a business selling mirrors.

With the help of Uzark you found the place where the portal to Sigil used to be, and he knew a way to reopen it. To do that you literally had to build a doorframe, and because the portal was not on the ground, a large ramp to reach it.

You passsed through the portal into Sigil itself, and found yourself in a market. Kalinor went to meet Nephira, who as already in Sigil running a stall that sold mirrors. She was part of his team that had been sent ahead to get their base of operations up and running.

You wandered around the market for a bit, and talked to a few people. Then spider riders attacked. You killed all but one of them, questioned him for a bit. He was a part of a hit squad sent to kill the party, and an eighth person, who most people don't know but Simon appears to recognise. There was some kind of misunderstanding about exactly what the assassin had agreed to do when he surrendered, and rather than answer questions, he decided to reclaim his sword and die in battle. He was dominated to stop him doing this, broke his domination, and eventually died in battle, nearly killing Saffron in the process.

Godot was very upset, Saffron badly hurt. Kalinor suggested everyone spend the night at his base of operations, and the party agreed. They took two of the surviving undead spiders with them. On the way, Kalinor mentioned that one of his mirrors had been stolen, and asked the party to help him get it back.

You've now arrived at the base of operations, heard a bit about the mirror that was stolen. Everyone's comparing notes to see what they can work out based on their knowledges. Nephira seems a little hostile to your being here.

You have yet to decide if you are going to help Kalinor, what to do with the undead spiders, or even what you intend to do in the near future.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-07-13 at 04:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Happy for people to know about teleport being possible. It's the kind of thing you try and discover about a place before you travel there.

Kalinor and Nephira look the same with arcane sight as they did before in the market.

Knowledge local doesn't give you any information on Nephira. From what you've been told, she's not local. She's from Chaldecott, works for Kalinor, and was sent ahead to Sigil to set up the base of operations you've now arrived at.

You don't know anything at all about the temple. There are no surviving religious symbols at all. From the design, and the fairly light and airy design, you'd guess some kind of good or lawful religion, but it's really hard to say, since the building has been heavily converted.

Finally, restraint in min/maxing is appreciated,.. and reciprocated. The important thing is to settle on a level that you're all comfortable with. I'm happy to set the challenge level at whatever is suitable for the party. As long as you're all comfortable operating together, I can alter the universe to match.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-07-13 at 06:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    You don't know anything at all about the temple. There are no surviving religious symbols at all. From the design, and the fairly light and airy design, you'd guess some kind of good or lawful religion, but it's really hard to say, since the building has been heavily converted.

Finally, restraint in min/maxing is appreciated,.. and reciprocated. The important thing is to settle on a level that you're all comfortable with. I'm happy to set the challenge level at whatever is suitable for the party. As long as you're all comfortable operating together, I can alter the universe to match.
    Airy, good, lawful....that should soothe Derk's concerns .

I believe I remember you asking for an intra-party balance during recruitment, which is one of the reasons why I brought it up. I think Derk is at a good point as is in terms of combat stats, so let's (as Ifni suggested) forego buffing him further. We can do that later anyway if it seems appropriate. I am really at a loss when it comes to gauging others' stats, but I think buffs are better spent on other members.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

As long as everyone feels they can usefully contribute, I'm happy. If you all end up settling down at pun-pun style power levels, then I can deal with that. If you all end up struggling to deal with what should be easy encounters, then I deal with that too.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Togo: some great, enticing stubs and nubs of stories in that collection. Much fun!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, on a reread of the rules, Scrying doesn't work on items, and Locate Object doesn't work the way I thought it did Even Discern Location only works on objects you've touched. I guess this is why we need non-divination-based investigative methods (although the Divination spell itself might be worth a try)

Togo, a question: Locate Object says, "Attempting to find a certain item requires a specific and accurate mental image; if the image is not close enough to the actual object, the spell fails. You cannot specify a unique item unless you have observed that particular item firsthand (not through divination)." I guess I'm not clear on the difference between "certain item" and "unique item", how would you rule it?

Given an accurate image of the mirror (e.g. a drawing from Kalinor or Nephira, and assuming for the moment that one of them can produce something moderately accurate), could I Locate Object for "a large mirror that looks like this" (as opposed to "The Well of Souls"), understanding that if the drawing isn't specific enough, I'll likely get the nearest big mirror with vaguely similar decorations, if one is within range? This is probably a moot point in this situation since I'd be surprised if the mirror was still within range and not shielded by lead, but I'd like to know how you read the spell, in case I want to use it later.

As it is, I can send out Prying Eyes to check for mundane watchers or people with Iron Tower sigils within a mile, depending on ruling I may be able to try a Locate Object (just in case Nephira has actually backstabbed Kalinor and hidden the mirror somewhere close), and I can cast a Scrying on the Iron Tower contact our prisoner mentioned, based on her name. I can cast Analyze Dweomer on their remaining mirrors if allowed, which might be worth checking. But I don't think I can actually cast a spell that will find the Well of Souls, especially if it's been moved to another plane. Other players, please feel free to correct me if there's an obvious spell that will work and I'm just missing it

Here's what I'd like to do in the short term, as noted in the IC - sorry for the massive wall of blue text!
    -Find out from Kalinor and Nephira exactly how they obtained the Well of Souls, when and where. Find out anything Nephira can tell us re the mirror going missing. Get a sketch of the mirror.
    -Send out Prying Eyes to scout the area.
    -Unpack their remaining mirrors and cast Analyze Dweomer on them to discern their magical properties.
    -Possibly try a Scrying, on Ezekiel or the Iron Tower lady.
    -Make sure we stand watch over said magical mirrors overnight, if we're delaying most action until tomorrow.
    -Go to a Sigil market and pick up more supplies.
    PCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Ifni View Post
    Togo, a question: Locate Object says, "Attempting to find a certain item requires a specific and accurate mental image; if the image is not close enough to the actual object, the spell fails. You cannot specify a unique item unless you have observed that particular item firsthand (not through divination)." I guess I'm not clear on the difference between "certain item" and "unique item", how would you rule it?
    By my reading, a "certain item" is a 12 foot mirror, or even a 12 foot mirror that looks a bit like X. A "unique item" is a particular mirror.

Given an accurate image of the mirror (e.g. a drawing from Kalinor or Nephira, and assuming for the moment that one of them can produce something moderately accurate), could I Locate Object for "a large mirror that looks like this" (as opposed to "The Well of Souls"), understanding that if the drawing isn't specific enough, I'll likely get the nearest big mirror with vaguely similar decorations, if one is within range?
    Sure. Since you're working on a description, and have never observed it firsthand, you'll get the nearest mirror that's close to matching the description.

As it is, I can send out Prying Eyes to check for mundane watchers or people with Iron Tower sigils within a mile,
    You can. The eyes will try and look everywhere, including bedrooms, restrooms, and other private places. Most people won't be able to detect the eyes. Those who can, may become upset.

-----------

At the moment people seem to be chatting and sorting things out, and I don't want to interrupt. If anyone thinks things are flagging, give me a nudge and I'll move things along.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-07-22 at 06:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

Does anyone have suggestions for a good familiar with a Lovecraftian feel? Sthrer should get a familiar at some point.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

I suppose an obvious choice would be to negotiate with Togo to allow the application of the toned-down pseudonatural template presented in (IIRC) Lords of Madness or Complete Arcane to an ordinary familiar. Maybe they lose the spell resistance or something. I don't see the template as being particularly unbalancing of the current party balance.

27. - Top - End - #267

Beholder

Autopsibiofeeder, would you mind using quotations around your quotes, or pick a color that isn't so similar to standard font color? I can't tell what's speech and what's action.
    Pointing out hypocrisy is not disrespect.

RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    Autopsibiofeeder, would you mind using quotations around your quotes, or pick a color that isn't so similar to standard font color? I can't tell what's speech and what's action.
    Sure, no problem! I will add quotation marks to the color...please bear with me if I forget once in a while, though, as it is not my 'routine' to do so.

I understand the color is somewhat hard to distinguish. I think I raised the issue in the start and decided to use dark grey over silver. I hope you can understand that, given my background, I am somewhat inclined to use 'silver/grey' tones .

29. - Top - End - #269

My prestige class lets you add weird **** to your familiar, I'm thinking more what base animal would fit.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Ravens are tremendously useful. Snake might be most appropriate.