New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Planar Gestalt?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Planar Gestalt?

I had possibly the weirdest idea for a campaign of all time. One of the things that D&D has attempted in the past was "taint," with the implication that ones actions can alter them. However on the outer planes the plane itself is supposed to have an alignment, so spending time there could influence the people living there.

To show this kind of taint I was thinking about having a Gestalt with certain "taint" classes, which alter the person when they level on a certain plane. The gestalt class for the Beastlands would grant the person a more animal-like body and greater strength derived there-of. Mechanus would give the person construct like features, the Abyss a demonic aspect and demonic abilities, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Planar Gestalt?

You might base these off of the Taint-based classes from Oriental Adventures (and/or their updates if there have been any).
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds like fun, although for most of the game you'll generally be on the Prime so it won't do much. I'm a huge fan of Taint rules of any kind, so this sounds great.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So.. kinda like Planetouched classes? I love this idea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Some of the planes I can't figure out what they would do; how would someone physically represent Pandemonium as different from Limbo?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Simple: Limbo is bat-**** insane. Pandemonium is bat-**** insane, with demons kicking your ass the whole time. I'm sure there's a joke here, probably making fun of Chicago, Toronto, and/or Detroit.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2011-06-08 at 10:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, it's New Jersey. They got to pick before cali, so all cali had was lawyers.

On topic: I really really like this idea. =3
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2011-06-08 at 10:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So maybe I should make 9 classes and then the other 7 alternate between their influences? So Pandemonium is the Abyss class + the Limbo class? And Acheron is Mechnus plus Baator?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

There are very different kinds of insanity, and Pandemonium and Limbo are pretty different in that regard.

How to say this...

Limbo is part cartoon insanity, part gleeful creative madness. It's a plane where you can literally create whatever you want when you think about it hard enough. Souls going there split their time between watching things grow from chaos and vanishing again and creating their own little pocket paradises.

Pandemonium is horrible, horrible insanity. It's paranoia, loneliness and depression. It's dark and cramped tunnels and endless howling winds. You walk forever in darkness that no light spell can pierce, when you aren't ripped off your feet by a gust of wind and slammed against a wall sixty feet away. The wind is always so loud that you have to shout to be heard an arm's length away, and it never stops. It's so bad that encountering the Wild Hunt, wandering deep giants or shadowfiends is seen as welcome change from the endless caves.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-06-09 at 05:33 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I have frequently played around with the idea of a "planeswalker" class, someone who is at home in all the planes. Perhaps you could just flip this idea on its side, and make one class who is at home on a single plane (/related set of planes).

So, give generic class features that differ based their actual plane. Ya'know, like +X bonus on social encounters with denizens on plane Y, and +X attack/damage bonus against denizens on plane (polar opposite of Y). Throw in some immunity to the plane's special characteristics or something. And, should the character somehow spend a lot of time on another plane, subtly change the class abilities to reflect the character's new "taint".

Something like that.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Hmm. I just had an interesting idea: make it a Binder prestige class. Let them bind the essence of a plane.
    Resident Vancian Apologist