New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: abjurant armor

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default abjurant armor

so...... does this ability apply to a single spell besides shield?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: abjurant armor

Yes, (Greater) Luminous Armor from BoED works with the ability.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Souldn't it work with the Protection from <Alignment> line of spells as well? They are abjuration spells and grant an AC bonus, after all.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The spell has to grant a shield or armour bonus to AC. Protection from [blah] grants a deflection bonus.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Souldn't it work with the Protection from <Alignment> line of spells as well? They are abjuration spells and grant an AC bonus, after all.
    I'm away from that book at the moment, but IIRC it only applies to armor and shield bonuses to AC. The protection line is a deflection bonus.

EDIT: How did I get ninja'd by a boat?
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2012-03-25 at 12:05 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

There is another one in SpC that gives a shield bonus -- Night Shield, IIRC.

The designer evidently thought Mage Armor was an abjuration spell, if the sample character is any indication.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    There is another one in SpC that gives a shield bonus -- Night Shield, IIRC.

The designer evidently thought Mage Armor was an abjuration spell, if the sample character is any indication.
    Indeed. That's why I would house rule that (Greater) Mage Armor works with it, because the designer's intent seems to be that.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Nightshield just gives you a bonus to saves, and it blocks Magic Missiles.

Spell Compendium has Ectoplasmic Armor, but it only applies to incorporeal touch attacks, every other type of attack in existence gets to completely ignore it.

Luminous Armor and Greater Luminous Armor from BoED are exactly what you're looking for. They're both extremely good, you can get a Rod of Bodily Restoration (MIC) to fix the Str damage sacrifice, and the additional -4 to opponents' melee attacks they impose is just amazing. You have to be good/exalted (depending on interpretation) to use them, and you have to be able to prepare spells, but it's definitely worth it.

If you're looking for something to boost (Greater) Mage Armor, a dip into Paragnostic Apostle from Complete Champion for their Mind Over Matter ability is probably the only class feature that will help.

Keep in mind, you can technically use Magic Vestment to grant an Enhancement bonus to your current Armor or Shield bonus, even if that's granted by another spell.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Repelling shield (CM) is also affected - it's a third level wiz/sorc spell that's Abjuration [force] and grant a shield bonus.

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Repelling shield (CM) is also affected - it's a third level wiz/sorc spell that's Abjuration [force] and grant a shield bonus.
    Maybe that is what I was thinking of.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

One of the Dragonlance books also has the Time Shield spell, which is basically a stronger, 2nd level shield spell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Despite the apparent intention being for the ability to work with the Mage Armor spells they specifically errata'd that out.
    This does leave the Deflect line of spells from PHB2 as viable options despite their annoying duration.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Despite the apparent intention being for the ability to work with the Mage Armor spells they specifically errata'd that out.
    This does leave the Deflect line of spells from PHB2 as viable options despite their annoying duration.
    Eh? Their duration would pretty much suggest against them being viable last I checked.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-25 at 03:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Eh? Their duration would pretty much suggest against them being viable last I checked.
    They don't get anything added to their duration, but it seems as if they'd get the extra protective bonus - so a CL20 Deflect would nab a cool +15 AC instead of a +10.

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGuy

Maybe I'm misremembering the duration and casting time grossly, but what I remember is that they're immediate actions and so compete directly with your swift action for the next round or use it up on your turn and have a 1 round duration, so you're not even trading an action now for having those actions free later, it's a constant choice and constant drain on spells, even if one is high enough level to afford it, there's other spells that this would preclude that one would either want as a matter of course or depending upon individual build.

Gishes, and casters in general, generally have something else they want to be doing with their swift action other than giving themselves some AC when they've already got things to give themselves miss chances and AC.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-03-25 at 04:15 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

There's a few others, from a few Faerun splat books like Lost Empires of Faerun that all provide shield bonuses, with maybe something else.
    The last time I remember this coming up, aside from swift shield, I think only the core shield spell was deemed worthwhile.
    At least for shield bonuses.

For armor bonuses: Luminous armor. Mage armor researched as abjuration. And that's about it.

Trying to remember if Scintillating scales was especially useful. (Armor to touch AC. or just natural armor to touch AC?)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Would it be too powerful to house rule Abjurant Armour to apply to any kind of AC bonus if it is supplied by an Abjuration spell.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Would it be too powerful to house rule Abjurant Armour to apply to any kind of AC bonus if it is supplied by an Abjuration spell.
    Probably. At least compared to any other melee character.
    Deflection, shield, dodge, luck, morale, sacred/profane, armor...
    Someone getting +5AC to each of those, beyond what the spells already provide would be pretty ridiculous.
    And what if you've got two different sources of say Dodge bonuses? Dodge bonuses stack (even if others of same type don't), so the abjurant armor bonus would stack for those as well.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

It seems to be an oversight, but it could be an editing decision. AC does seem to be a fairly solid class, and +5 AC is reasonably good as it is.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I see, well it is a shame that there are to few spells that work with that; but having too many of everything is the Wizards main problem.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    No, not particularly.
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    They don't get anything added to their duration, but it seems as if they'd get the extra protective bonus - so a CL20 Deflect would nab a cool +15 AC instead of a +10.
    Sorry, but as the name suggests it's a deflection bonus, not a shield or armor bonus. Even if it was worth it action-wise, it still wouldn't get the bonus from the class. Lame, I know.

The luminous armor is awesome, but the player I'm helping out doesn't want to be wearing glowing armor all the time (I can understand this. I don't care for spells that make the character look too outlandish or ridicules).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by limejuicepowder View Post
    The luminous armor is awesome, but the player I'm helping out doesn't want to be wearing glowing armor all the time (I can understand this. I don't care for spells that make the character look too outlandish or ridicules).
    If the player has an extra feat, Invisible Spell will do just what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mad_Linguist View Post
    If you PaO it into something else, you couldn't really expect it to still work (after all, a +1 flaming sword PaOed into a horse doesn't get you a +1 Flaming horse).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven
    I'm bringing this up and hoping that the DM lets me get away with a +1 Flaming Horse. Just putting that out there.

24. - Top - End - #24

HalflingPirate

Sorry, but as the name suggests it's a deflection bonus, not a shield or armor bonus. Even if it was worth it action-wise, it still wouldn't get the bonus from the class. Lame, I know.

Take invisible spell.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

I know 'Mage Armor' specifically doesn't work by the book, but I was able to get my DM to houserule that it it works for the duration improvement but not for the AC bonus. It Felt like a fair compromise to me.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King Atticus View Post
    I know 'Mage Armor' specifically doesn't work by the book, but I was able to get my DM to houserule that it it works for the duration improvement but not for the AC bonus. It Felt like a fair compromise to me.
    But Mage Armour lasts 1 hour/level ?
    Did I miss the irony ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Did I miss the irony ?
    A free extend is still nice. It saves him 1000gp. It's better than a sharp stick in the eye (or nothing, which is what he would have gotten from RAW).
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

*snip*
    Funny enough, this isn't the case. While lesser deflect is indeed a deflection bonus, 'regular' deflect, the second level spell that I'm referring to, SPECIFICALLY gives you a shield bonus to AC. It's really weird, to tell you the truth.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Did I miss the irony ?
    Yeah, not so much ironic as this...

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    A free extend is still nice. It saves him 1000gp. It's better than a sharp stick in the eye (or nothing, which is what he would have gotten from RAW).
    With a limited number of spells for it to work with and me not wanting to play an exalted character (seriously...never) to take advantage of Luminous Armor an all day casting of Mage Armor is not too shabby. I wasn't trying to say it's the best option just getting something out of a poorly thought out ability.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by King Atticus View Post
    With a limited number of spells for it to work with and me not wanting to play an exalted character (seriously...never) to take advantage of Luminous Armor an all day casting of Mage Armor is not too shabby. I wasn't trying to say it's the best option just getting something out of a poorly thought out ability.
    I may be being pedantic, but technically the only language on Page 83 detailing sanctified spell is
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Exalted Deeds
    Evil characters cannot cast sanctified spells, including ones cast from magic items.
    So you're free to be any shade of Grey-to-Blinding-Holy-LightTM.
    Spoiler
    Show