New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default 3.5 Prestige: The Cyst Lord (PEACH)

Author's Note: At the moment, I would really appreciate some feedback on more cyst-specific abilities I could give instead of just meta-abuse. I want this class to be as unique as possible but for some reason I'm having trouble being creative today. Please, help me make this class an interesting and viable alternate for necromancers who want a prestige class that doesn't encourage so much extra book-keeping.

Oh, and if anyone has a suitable picture they'd like to donate, I'd appreciate that, I can't find anything that fits.

The Cyst Lord

"A lot of people hear the word 'necromancy' and they immediately get this mental image of some weak guy with a book and a robe standing over corpses and building an army." "You mean, necromancy's not like that?" "Oh hell yes, it's like that, but there's a whole other type of necromancy that they're ignoring, and that's what I'm gonna teach you tonight, boy." - A Cyst Lord conversing with his new apprentice

A Cyst Lord is a necromancer who has chosen to focus on the decaying nature of the necromancy school, rather than the undead-raising bit. Because his necromantic energies are not being constantly placed into other bodies to give them life, he is able to utilize that energy and usher in a much swifter death for his foes.

Abilities: A Cyst Lord needs his casting stat, whatever it might be, in order to cast his spells. Clerics and dread necromancers are the most likely characters to join the ranks of a cyst lord, as wizards tend to be drawn too much to the power that an undead army can provide to forsake it, and few sorcerers are so religious that they would take up the cause of death. Constitution is helpful to a Cyst Lord as it is to any character, and a good Dexterity will help the character use his powerful ray spells like ray of enfeeblement, ray of sickness, ray of exhaustion, enervation and energy drain.

Requirements:
    To become a Cyst Lord, one must meet the following requirements:
    Spells: Able to cast at least 4 spells from the Necromancy school, at least one of which must be 3rd level or higher.
    Skills: Knowledge (Religion): 8 ranks
    Feats: Spell Focus (Necromancy), Mother Cyst (Libris Mortis)
    Special: Must undergo a special rite performed by any cleric at any temple which will strip the necromancer of his ability to magically animate or create undead. (Completing this removes animate dead, summon undead, create undead, and create greater undead from your current spell list and all other spell lists you may later acquire. You lose the ability to otherwise breathe life into a corpse through any means other than with the spells raise dead, reincarnate, resurrection and true resurrection)

HD: d8

Class Skills: The Cyst Lord's class skills are Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), Sense Motive, and Spellcraft

Skill Points: 2+Int mod per level

The Cyst Lord
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Cystic Casting, Decay Focus, Rebuke Cysts|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Still Cyst|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Silent Cyst|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Cystic Aiming|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Cystic Domination, Extended Decay|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Necrotic Delivery|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Empowered Decay|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Split Decay|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Cystic Spell Mastery|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Decay Thesis, Vampiric Cyst|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Cyst Lord gains proficiency with light armor. She gains no proficiency in any weapon or shield.

Cystic Casting: A Cyst Lord gives up her ability to call the undead, and in exchange, puts all that power into the cyst in her body, and it grants her power. From now on, the cyst becomes a focus for all the Cyst Lord's spells from the necromancy school. All spells she casts from the necromancy school no longer require any material components (expensive or otherwise). Additionally, if the Cyst Lord prepares spells, she may lose a prepared spell in order to spontaneously cast a spell she received from the Mother Cyst feat of equal or lower level than the spell she gave up. If she already is a spontaneous caster, she receives a bonus spell slot of each level she can cast, but it may only be used to cast spells she received from her Mother Cyst feat. Additionally, the Cyst Lord may, at will as a standard action, touch a person who has received a necrotic cyst and force it to shrivel away. If the host is unwilling, he is allowed a Fortitude Saving throw to resist (DC is equal to the DC of the Cyst Lord's necrotic cyst spell, with the -2 penalty for the victim's current cyst applying). The Cyst Lord may not use this touch attack on himself. Finally, the Cyst Lord's connection to her empowered cyst grants her immunity to the necrotic spell line.

Spells: At each level, the cyst lord gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable), as if she had gained a level in a spellcasting class that she had prior to entering this prestige class. The spellcasting class she advances must be one whose slots she could use to cast spells from the Mother Cyst feat. If she had more than one of such spellcasting class, she chooses one and advances it.

Decay Focus: A cyst lord is a master of weakening her opponents with necromantic spells. If the cyst lord casts a necromancy spell that targets a single opponent and allows a saving throw, that saving throw's DC is increased by 2 (this stacks with similar effects). If the cyst lord targets an opponent with a necromancy ray that does not allow a saving throw, such as enervation, he may force the target to make a Fortitude saving throw (if the ray hits them), DC equal to the DC the spell would have if it allowed one (but not including the bonus from Decay Focus). If the target fails the saving throw, it receives the effects of the spell twice, and they stack, even if they normally wouldn't be allowed to (such as ray of enfeeblement). For example, if a cyst lord casts energy drain and hits a target, the target would need to make a Fort save, DC 25 (10+9 for the spell level, +1 for Spell Focus+5 for his Charisma modifier). If the target failed the saving throw, he would receive 4d4 negative levels. If he succeeded, he would only receive 2d4 negative levels.

Rebuke Cysts: The cyst lord gains the ability to control the free-walking undead known as skulking cysts with relative ease. Her effective cleric level for rebuking/commanding them is treated as twice her caster level. She may rebuke/command cysts at will, though she must wait at least 3 rounds between attempts. Instead of presenting her holy symbol, the cyst lord must present her cyst and uses it in place of holy power. (This class feature does not power divine feats)

Still Cyst: A cyst lord may use the power she harnesses with her cyst in order to advance her knowledge of metamagic considerably. If the cyst lord has the Still Spell feat, she may now apply it to any necromancy spell she casts without increasing the casting time or the spell level, or preparing it ahead of time. If she does not have the Still Spell feat, she instead gains it as a bonus feat, but receives no other benefits from this class feature. If the cyst lord later spends a feat slot to acquire Still Spell, she may gain the full benefits of this class feature.

Silent Cyst: A cyst lord may use her powers of cystic metamagic to improve her necromancy spells even further. A level 3 cyst lord may apply the benefits of the Silent Spell feat to any necromancy spell she casts without increasing the casting time or the spell level, or preparing it ahead of time. If she does not have the Silent Spell feat, she instead gains it as a bonus feat, but receives no other benefits from this class feature. If the cyst lord later spends a feat slot to acquire Silent Spell, she may instead gain the full benefits of this class feature.

Cystic Aiming: A cyst lord's best friend (other than her cyst) is her ray spells. A cyst lord practices all the time with her ray spells, and now she has learned to aim them properly, with the help of her cyst. When rolling a ranged touch attack for a spell, the cyst lord's Base Attack Bonus is treated as her caster level for the spell she is casting. Additionally, she may use her primary casting stat instead of her Dexterity modifier to determine her accuracy.

Cystic Domination: A cyst lord uses his cyst friends like puppets on strings. From now on, when a cyst lord enslaves a victim via the necrotic domination spell, the slave is pushed to his body's absolute limits, with sometimes deadly repercussions. At the cyst lord's command, a slave may enter a berserker rage similar to a barbarian's rage ability, gaining a +6 bonus to Strength, but dropping his AC down to 0 as he focuses entirely on assaulting his target. Every time the slave takes damage while in this state, he must make a Fortitude save (DC 10+damage dealt). If he fails this saving throw, his rage ends and he becomes exhausted. Then he must make another Fortitude save (DC = to the necrotic domination DC) If he fails this saving throw, the cyst consumes him and transforms his body into a skulking cyst (Libris Mortis) that remains dominated for the remainder of the duration of the spell, at which point it becomes a free-roaming undead.

Otherwise, the rage lasts until the necrotic domination spell ends, at which point the slave becomes exhausted.

Extended Decay: The cyst lord's rays are signs that a person's life is drawing near. Whenever a cyst lord affects a target with a ray, that spells' duration is doubled. (This stacks with the benefits of the Extend Spell feat)

Necrotic Delivery: The cyst lord is now able to send special surprises to her victims. When she uses the necrotic scrying spell to locate a victim with a cyst, the radius of the spell becomes 1 mile/caster level and if she does locate any cyst-bearers, she may cast a necrotic spell on them, ignoring the range.

Empowered Decay: The cyst lord gains the Empower Spell feat as a bonus feat. If she already has this feat, she gains the Sudden Empower Spell (Complete Arcane) feat as a bonus feat, though she may only apply this feat to necromancy spells. If she already has both the Empower Spell and Sudden Empower Spell feats, she gains an additional daily use of Sudden Empower Spell, but it may only be used on necromancy spells. If she gained the Sudden Empower Spell feat as a bonus feat through this class, then later spent a feat slot on Sudden Empower Spell, she gains the full benefits of the Sudden Empower Spell feat, as well as an additional daily use of the Sudden Empower Spell feat that may only be used on necromancy spells.

Split Decay: The cyst lord gains the Split Ray feat (Complete Arcane) as a bonus feat. If she already has this feat, she may choose one necromancy ray spell that she knows. She may apply this feat to that spell on the fly without changing its spell level or increasing the casting time a number of times per day equal to her casting modifier (minimum 1) If the cyst lord later spends a feat slot on the Split Ray feat, she may instead gain the full benefits of this class feature.

Cystic Spell Mastery: The cyst lord is now able to prepare her necrotic spells from memory. If she does not prepare spells, she instead may cast each spell a number of times per day equal to her primary casting modifier as a spell-like ability (minimum 1 per spell)

Decay Mastery: The cyst lord is the ruler of the living, instead of the dead. Her necrotic prowess grants her special privileges. She chooses one necromancy spell of each level that she is able to cast. (If she would later gain the ability to cast a higher level spell, she chooses one that she knows immediately as soon as she gains access to that spell level) When casting these spells, she treats her caster level as if it were 2 levels higher, and may reduce the level adjustment for applying metamagic feats to the spell by -1 per feat (to a minimum of 0, but not below 0). For example, if a cyst lord chose enervation as one of these spells, she could cast an empowered maximized enervation by consuming a 7th level spell slot instead of a 9th level spell slot.

Vampiric Cyst: By 10th level, the cyst lord has earned her title and then some. When faced with a foe who has been affected by the necrotic cyst spell, the cyst lord gains a special attack option similar to the energy drain ability of a vampire. By making a melee touch attack, she is able to bestow two negative levels on the victim, and she gains 5 temporary hit points for each negative level. These temporary hit points are lost in one hour. The victim must make a Fortitude save (which he takes a -2 penalty from necrotic cyst on) 24 hours later or these negative levels become permanent.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-07-27 at 02:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Prestige: The Cyst Lord (PEACH)

Whats wrong with meta-abuse :D

But a Cyst Lord could use the ability to recall/remove Cysts. Those things are witches to remove...
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-06-12 at 12:29 AM.

My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3

...Huh, removing a cyst? Now that's something I haven't thought of admittedly. But it does open the door for possibilities. Put the cyst on, torture them with it with bursts that they save against, and then force them to do something for you so you can remove it...like some kind of twisted RP'd Baleful Geas...very interesting.

Edit: Updated Cyst Casting to allow dispel checks and at will dispelling of cysts.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-12 at 12:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

One thing, you have Skill Focus (Necromancy) listed as a requirement i assume you mean Spell Focus (Necromancy)?
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Burnheart, thanks to you, everyday reality is just a little less desirable. Until this happens, I am just this much more insane.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Burnheart View Post
    One thing, you have Skill Focus (Necromancy) listed as a requirement i assume you mean Spell Focus (Necromancy)?
    Wow, my editing process is terrible apparently. Thanks for the help. Fixed

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGirl

Some possible options:

- getting to use the other cyst-affecting spells via necrotic scrying
    - getting to turn/rebuke skulking cysts
    - being able to regenerate, as per clone, if you die, but within any of your child cyst bearers

7. - Top - End - #7

Alright, all of that works, let me see...

Edit: Granted the ability to rebuke cysts at will, and replaced Maximized Decay with Necrotic Delivery. I think the cloning thing is too powerful for this class however.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-12 at 05:31 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGirl

You could have a ninth-level cyst spell for the cloning, based on either the existing stasis clone spell, death pact, or the psionic astral seed power. Cast it as an immediate action, lose a level, and emerge from a random cyst bearer if they fail saves as per necrotic termination. See the Mind's Eye power leech psionic prestige class for a similar take.

By the way, RAW it seems that Mother Cyst would make you an eligible target for the cyst spells of others. If you take that route, maybe this class could offer save bonuses against them?

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
    You could have a ninth-level cyst spell for the cloning, based on either the existing stasis clone spell, death pact, or the psionic astral seed power. Cast it as an immediate action, lose a level, and emerge from a random cyst bearer if they fail saves as per necrotic termination. See the Mind's Eye power leech psionic prestige class for a similar take.

By the way, RAW it seems that Mother Cyst would make you an eligible target for the cyst spells of others. If you take that route, maybe this class could offer save bonuses against them?
    That's true. Though that's not enough for the Lord. I'll grant immunity, just because I don't agree with that interpretation.

And I appreciate your comments, I really do, but I don't homebrew spells. I'm terrible at it, and I don't enjoy it. Your class feature suggestion is interesting, and I like it as well as the others you have suggested, but I don't think it really will work.

Edit: Edited Cystic Casting to grant immunity to necrotic spells
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-12 at 07:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

What about necrotic termination as a spell like ability?
    If it's too strong maybe make it an epic class feature.
    May be Experiencing merger with Deep Rot.
    Gravey
    Spoiler
    Show
    GAAHH!

Last edited by Lordof Dorkness : Tomorrow at 28:67 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    ...Huh, removing a cyst? Now that's something I haven't thought of admittedly. But it does open the door for possibilities. Put the cyst on, torture them with it with bursts that they save against, and then force them to do something for you so you can remove it...like some kind of twisted RP'd Baleful Geas...very interesting.

Edit: Updated Cyst Casting to allow dispel checks and at will dispelling of cysts.
    Cysts aren't "Dispel"-able. once its in its like its own little living organism no longer effected by antimagic only removable via dangerous, painful procedure.

Dissipate Cyst
    Necromancy
    Level 1
    Components: V,S
    Casting Time: Free action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Living Creature touched
    Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates (Harmless)
    Spell Resistance: None
    You touch the victim of a Necrotic Cyst spell, under the skin the mass of necrotic flesh dies out, shriving away into literal nothingness leaving no trace of its intrusion.

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    Cysts aren't "Dispel"-able. once its in its like its own little living organism no longer effected by antimagic only removable via dangerous, painful procedure.

Dissipate Cyst
    Necromancy
    Level 1
    Components: V,S
    Casting Time: Free action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Living Creature touched
    Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates (Harmless)
    Spell Resistance: None
    You touch the victim of a Necrotic Cyst spell, under the skin the mass of necrotic flesh dies out, shriving away into literal nothingness leaving no trace of its intrusion.
    I don't know which classes this is intended to apply to.

Also, as a level 1 spell this seems a bit too powerful. Cysts are pretty weak as is since you need generally a touch attack and a low level spell to implant them. The difficulty of removing them is one of the few things that makes them useful.

Also, this maybe shouldn't be harmless- there are some circumstances where having a cyst is a good thing- one can deliberately use cysts as a cheap method of scrying on allies for examples.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

13. - Top - End - #13

Granting an immunity, no matter how small, at 1st level is too compelling for a one level dip (especially in a campaign where the affect might be common). I would move the immunity granted by Cystic Casting to at least level 3.
    Last edited by eftexar; 2011-07-24 at 10:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eftexar View Post
    Granting an immunity, no matter how small, at 1st level is too compelling for a one level dip (especially in a campaign where the affect might be common). I would move the immunity granted by Cystic Casting to at least level 3.
    I don't think this should be an issue. You need to already have two feats to take this, and you lose access to a lot of helpful necromancy spells.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

15. - Top - End - #15

Making it a first level spell is pointless, as preparing for that kind of situation is unlikely unless you knew it was going to happen. No, I've instead granted him the ability to make a touch attack at will that can force the cyst to shrivel and die.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

When I saw that the class requires sacrificing something which is a hallmark of the Necromancy school, I sat up. Obviously, the class has to be powerful to compensate for that! With full casting progression and a whole flight of features, it's certainly that.

Possibly overly so? I'm unsure. It's certainly borderline, but impressive and fun in any case, so it's worth working on!

The Rebuke Cyst power raises a question in my mind. Sure, rebuking undead isn't the same as raising them, but in fitting with the theme, perhaps drop the ability to rebuke things that aren't Cyst carriers? The monster kind and otherwise? Meaning that instead, you'd gain the ability to rebuke cysts that are still in people. It would obviously be difficult, but it could certainly have some neat perks.

The Metamagic progression is interesting, and mighty powerful. I think you should edit the features to say that if you would take the relevant feat later, you then gain the normal benefits of the feature at that time. There's a precedence for wording it that way, and lets people build a little more personally, rather than following a class-dictated script.

What you do for rays, with extend, forced Fort saves or double the effects, and so on? That seems hysterically potent. The fort save is already something you'd save for the 7th level in the class, and having both the double duration and that seems impossible to balance.

As for the clone-type thing, that seems like it would directly contradict the lore of the class. Decay isn't a good medium for rebirth, usually.

Very powerful, and interesting. Vampiric Cyst especially is a neat capstone, though, using your examples as a guide for how the class would be played, un-levelling people to death looks like it would happen in only a few turns. Obviously powerful.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Pennance View Post
    When I saw that the class requires sacrificing something which is a hallmark of the Necromancy school, I sat up. Obviously, the class has to be powerful to compensate for that! With full casting progression and a whole flight of features, it's certainly that.

Possibly overly so? I'm unsure. It's certainly borderline, but impressive and fun in any case, so it's worth working on!

The Rebuke Cyst power raises a question in my mind. Sure, rebuking undead isn't the same as raising them, but in fitting with the theme, perhaps drop the ability to rebuke things that aren't Cyst carriers? The monster kind and otherwise? Meaning that instead, you'd gain the ability to rebuke cysts that are still in people. It would obviously be difficult, but it could certainly have some neat perks.

The Metamagic progression is interesting, and mighty powerful. I think you should edit the features to say that if you would take the relevant feat later, you then gain the normal benefits of the feature at that time. There's a precedence for wording it that way, and lets people build a little more personally, rather than following a class-dictated script.

What you do for rays, with extend, forced Fort saves or double the effects, and so on? That seems hysterically potent. The fort save is already something you'd save for the 7th level in the class, and having both the double duration and that seems impossible to balance.

As for the clone-type thing, that seems like it would directly contradict the lore of the class. Decay isn't a good medium for rebirth, usually.

Very powerful, and interesting. Vampiric Cyst especially is a neat capstone, though, using your examples as a guide for how the class would be played, un-levelling people to death looks like it would happen in only a few turns. Obviously powerful.
    Indeed, but negative levels don't get enough love in this game. And yes, if you are a necromancer who gives up the ability to raise dead, you should be pretty powerful at draining energy instead.

Remember, however, that the lack of Fortitude saves is what makes these rays so potent to begin with. Adding the double effect if it fails the save is nice, but it's not very likely, and the DC does not scale, while the Fort saves do. (I know this is true of every other spell, but this is basically a non-issue in this case. Fortitude save-or-sucks are usually terrible by 12th level, and next to impossible by 15th level. Save-or-dies are worth it, but save-or-sucks need Saving Throw: No, which is why that's what they're given)

Rebuking a cyst is not the same as rebuking the undead. In effect, the cyst itself has become a free-willed entity, so it's not the same thing as controlling a monster or a skeleton. Besides, it was your magic that put the cyst there in the first place (usually), so it would make sense that that ritual didn't strip you of the ability to do it.

I'm editing the wording on the metamagic features now.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hey, and here I thought that I was the only one who cared aboutnecrotic cysts.

Pretty awesome class, all things considered.

One thing that I might recommend is altering it so that rebuke cyst allows you to rebuke living things with cysts inside (it seems like a natural extension of necrotic domination/tumor to me).
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2011-07-26 at 12:40 AM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    Hey, and here I thought that I was the only one who cared aboutnecrotic cysts.

Pretty awesome class, all things considered.

One thing that I might recommend is altering it so that rebuke cyst allows you to rebuke living things with cysts inside (it seems like a natural extension of necrotic domination/tumor to me).
    Actually there seems to be several Cyst Based Classes
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197668

One thing to note is that this class is a VERY strong dip. Due to no caster level loss and Decay Focus being very very very strong. Any Necromancy base wizard should dip this class.

Also a side note, the way you worded your ritual that strips animating undead... you didn't ACTUALLY remove their ability to animate undead at all. The main ways on animating undead are through a spell like ability which are gained regardless of if the spell is on the spell list. Examples, pale master, horned harbinger, spell stiched, spell stiched familiar, 75% of all animate dead based necromancy homebrew...

Also this is a VERY strong homebrew. It is pretty much on a bit weaker than Incantrix in terms of power.

A Wizard 5/Cyst Lord 10 could VERY easily cast a Empowered, Maximized, Split Rayed, Twinned Quickened Enervation. (Arcane Thesis Slay Mate and Decay Mastery for -3 on ALL metamagics) Basically one hitting anything that isn't immune to negative levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Actually there seems to be several Cyst Based Classes
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197668

One thing to note is that this class is a VERY strong dip. Due to no caster level loss and Decay Focus being very very very strong. Any Necromancy base wizard should dip this class.

Also a side note, the way you worded your ritual that strips animating undead... you didn't ACTUALLY remove their ability to animate undead at all. The main ways on animating undead are through a spell like ability which are gained regardless of if the spell is on the spell list. Examples, pale master, horned harbinger, spell stiched, spell stiched familiar, 75% of all animate dead based necromancy homebrew...

Also this is a VERY strong homebrew. It is pretty much on a bit weaker than Incantrix in terms of power.

A Wizard 5/Cyst Lord 10 could VERY easily cast a Empowered, Maximized, Split Rayed, Twinned Quickened Enervation. (Arcane Thesis Slay Mate and Decay Mastery for -3 on ALL metamagics) Basically one hitting anything that isn't immune to negative levels.
    Alright then, I'll reword the ritual.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

It could be interesting to grant a Cyst Lord the ability to use the pressure cysts, created on various parts of the body to effect them in specific ways. For instance, they could be silenced by magically growing a cyst inside of their throat. The popping of cysts could be used for combat as well. Possibly generating a spell that would allow the explosion of cysts to have a burst effect.
    "You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life."
    -Salvadore Dali

The screen's glow is hiding the mammon beast
    It's cauterized the senses that allowed us real life
    -Blackbird Raum

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

It could be interesting to grant a Cyst Lord the ability to use the pressure cysts, created on various parts of the body to effect them in specific ways. For instance, they could be silenced by magically growing a cyst inside of their throat. The popping of cysts could be used for combat as well. Possibly generating a spell that would allow the explosion of cysts to have a burst effect.
    "You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life."
    -Salvadore Dali

The screen's glow is hiding the mammon beast
    It's cauterized the senses that allowed us real life
    -Blackbird Raum

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Drfaust View Post
    There are already two cyst spells that have a bursting effect (the aptly named necrotic burst being one of them)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

As Decay Focus is worded, someone with Mettle (or Improved Mettle) could bring those ray spells to become ineffective. (I think that's a good idea to make all spells having a save, but a lot of people will think it won't be such a good idea ><
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by silphael View Post
    As Decay Focus is worded, someone with Mettle (or Improved Mettle) could bring those ray spells to become ineffective. (I think that's a good idea to make all spells having a save, but a lot of people will think it won't be such a good idea ><
    That's why it's optional. It says "He may force the target to make a save". So if you're fighting someone with Mettle, you can ignore the forced save.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I find it interesting that you say that wizards are the ones who are more reliant on the undead minions, whereas Clerics and Dread Necromancers would be more so. Was that a fluff-choice?

I would think the DN lose their bonus to undead making and such, and clerics get Animate Dead at level 3, so its to their benefit. Wizards also get more of the debuffing spells. Another thing to note: If I were trying to break this, I'd be a wizard and Planar Ally something to Animate Dead for me, then Control Undead(Which isn't restricted by this class)

What role do you think this class would be best at?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

27. - Top - End - #27

This class would obviously be best as a debuffer.