New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The World in Revolt IC

The deva stands motionless, staring down for a few moments before responding. "I am Radiel, servant and instrument of Avandra, reincarnation of a hundred of her servants before me, and I do not typically attend celebrations outside the domain of the church." He smoothly gestures behind him at the towering spires of the nearby temple. "I am cleaning the grounds of Her blessed halls, as is my duty. What event sparked such a raucous party? This is far above the typical mess that pub riots create."
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

Viola continues to gain momentum, her voice gaining its usual timbre and cadence, "How dreadfully dull, Sir. But the answer to your question is quite the opposite: My party of adventurers and I slew the dread wyrm Krakkael, and returned triumphant from our mission into that sick, banal swamp. Naturally, an appropriately elaborate and raucous celebration followed." She continues to study the Deva, having only seen a few in her lifetime.
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel remains oblivious to the elf studying him, instead continuing the conversation. "Serving the goddess that initially sent me here is a very exciting pursuit, compared to drinking a substance that has no effect on deva and shouting slurred nonsense for an evening. But the slaying of Krakkael is an impressive feat indeed," Radiel drones. "Clearly you have the ability to create great change in the world. Perhaps I will one day join you to fulfill the destiny of this incarnation." He shows a rare and brief smile. "Now, if I am to have the grounds clean before nightfall, I must return to work."
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-05-27 at 06:54 PM.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, that might be nice. I fear our priestess may have run off with one of the townspeople, and another Divinely Ordained peer is always welcome." she fondles her own holy symbol lovingly. It is an engraved silver-and-ruby disc, with a moderately powerful enchantment upon it.

"I wonder what you might be like if you loosened up a bit, though...

"There is a man you should likely enjoy meeting. His name is Wolfen Houndog, and I believe he shares your joyless enjoyment of duty and responsibility. The others of my troupe are far more exhuberant, and I fear your delicate sensibilities may be overcome by Mister Bugbear. Willian's scholarly mein would also probably suit you.

"Well, it is decided, then. When next we embark upon a quest for "glory" "honor" fame and fortune, you should accompany us. It would do you well, and I trust prolonged exposure to me will help you loosen some of that Divine Stuffiness you seem to wallow in..."

The Drow Elf prattles on, following the Deva during his chores. She offers him no help, but stays close, lazily toying with her parasol.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Orc in the Playground

As the morning sun rose higher in the sky, the people of Halmeran began to stir. A cloud of willful silence covered the streets, preserving the sensitive ears of last night's revelers. Looks of blurry remembrance, some tinged with a hint of sober regret, others in a state of shock, of realization of what they were capable, passed among the citizens as they began the lengthy process of cleaning up the town square.

Three men, local craftsmen, stare up at what appeared to be a wagon sticking half out of a second-floor window in the Soaring Hippogriph. Reaching up with a 10-foot pole found laying nearby, one of the men (a cobbler) taps the back gate, accidentally releasing the latch. The men jump back as a pile of blankets, empty bottles, and a large naked man comes falling out, landing with a heavy thud on the street below.

Afraid to approach the unmoving mass of flesh, the nervous cobbler pokes at him with the pole. The mostly-still-unconscious Bugbear moans and instinctively grabs at the offending object (sending the three men running for their lives). After a few moments of stirring and grunting, Bugbear groans in protest of consciousness and, using the pole as a crutch, lifts himself off the ground.

Naked but for his new helmet (found in the dragon's horde, now covered in ribbons, confetti, and other remnants of the festivities), the big grappler blinks in the sunlight, looks around, spots his favorite horse trough, and drags his bruised, scarred, and very hungover body to it. After a brief, unsteady pause, he collapses into the water like a cut tree falling into a lake.

As the shock brings a touch more awareness, Bugbear lifts his head out of the water (momentarily locking eyes with an oddly familiar horse that scampers away in fear) and looks around the square. A smile tugs at his craggy face as he remembers bits of the celebration. In the shadows of an alley at one end Bugbear spots the young lady Drow that fought by his side in the swamp. As his head clears, Bugbear looks around for his other companions, particularly the young wizard Wilian. He was a sharp kid with some real talent, but he seemed inexperienced and the old fighter couldn't help but feel protective.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #396
    Halfling in the Playground

"Uuugh... What was the color of that potion..."

Wilian woke up, with the ashes of the tavern´s tables stuck on his hair, his clothes, everywhere.

"What happened? There was... a dragon?"

He checked on his person for his staff and old spellbook, which were forunately by his side and unscathed from last night. Then, if he remembered well, he started to look for a drow and two humans he felt he needed to look.
    Last edited by snake obsidian; 2012-05-28 at 03:33 PM.
    New avatar by Dirtytabs! 20% better than expected!

7. - Top - End - #397
    Halfling in the Playground

A loud splash brought Wilian´s attention to Bugbear´s head, sticking out of a horse trough, with an odd helmet in it. He had the very bad idea to get near him and try to get him out of the water.

"Hey man, what happened? I just woke up on a... Oh, for the love of... Get some clothes!"
    New avatar by Dirtytabs! 20% better than expected!

8. - Top - End - #398
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wolfen looks up from his place a few meters away. There is an uncountable number of empty mugs, wineskins, and bottles around him.

"About time you woke up, kid."

Wolfen grabs another mug and drinks.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

9. - Top - End - #399
    Orc in the Playground

Bugbear's eyes drift in and out of focus as he recognizes a couple familiar voices. "Wolly! Bilf! ... urg, blurp, *cough* ... BILLY! WOLFEN! Great to see ya boys!" He lurches up onto his feet and trips over the wall of the horse trough, landing face first on the street for the second time this morning.

The still-unsteady Bugbear picks himself off the ground and for the first time seems to notice his lack of clothing. Driven more by confusion then modesty, the old grappler stumbles back to the pile of debris that fell from the cart with him and begins pulling together his belongings, including (to the relief of everyone passing nearby) his worn leather britches.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel briefly turns his eyes toward the source of the shouting. More partygoers, he sighs to himself. "Do you know them?" Radiel asks Viola, casually gesturing toward the massive gentleman in the water trough.
    HOMEBREW

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

Viola giggles at Bugbear's antics. The memory of his musky, heady blood enters her mind and she smiles a moment before answering the Deva. "Splendid! These are just the people I was telling you about: the large one is the grappler Bugbear, the grizzled one is the warrior Wolfen, and the small one is the scholar Willian. I, uh, do not see Mel, but I suppose she still might turn up. She is a Goliath -- but you should not stare at her like you do me, for she is very shy and might take it the wrong way. She waves at 'the boys' and calls out to them.

"Yoo hoo! Once you gentleman have cleaned yourselves up a bit you should make your way over here! There is fooooood." she lengthens the last word, supposing it will be enough to move the three men into action.

The vampire wonders vaguely what Deva blood tastes like...

12. - Top - End - #402

Wolfen grudgingly gets to his feet and steps over to Viola.

"Hmph. Who's this? I didn't see him at the party."

13. - Top - End - #403
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel extends a hand. "Radiel, servant of Avandra. My vows prevent me from involving myself in such debauchery, hence my absence from your celebration. You aided this drow in slaying Krakkael, I am told?" he drones.
    HOMEBREW

14. - Top - End - #404

Wolfen shakes Radiel's hand.

"Yeah, someone had to keep her and the big guy from doing stupid things. Wolfen Houndog is the name."

"So, a Deva. I've heard of your people. Seen it all, and forgotten most of it. Never met one, though. What do you have against celebrations? They're good for morale."

Wolfen takes a swig from a wineskin.
    Last edited by thereaper; 2012-06-02 at 11:10 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel's brow wrinkles momentarily before returning to his typically blank expression. "I have nothing against celebration personally. I am sure it is good for morale. My apologies if I offended you. However, my vows remain in place regardless of my personal feelings, and my vows forbid most of the revelry in which you participated last night. Deva are unaffected by alcohol, regardless." A momentary frown crosses Radiel's face.
    He looks through and then past Wolfen. "Perhaps you could introduce me to your friends...if they're in a state fit to be introduced?"
    HOMEBREW

16. - Top - End - #406

"Well, they're as presentable as they'll ever be. Willian is the master of a million arcane whatsawhosits. And the big strong guy over there is Bugbear. He could use the discipline of a few vows, if I do say so myself.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

Viola seems used to the human's brusque manner; she seems unfazed by his insults. Glad that the two sticks-in-the-mud have become acquainted, the Drow wanders off. Not that irritating these two was growing tiresome, but Viola had an inkling that something interesting was about to happen, and she resolved to find it.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

"That man's pain is beyond anyone's healing.," Mel thinks to herself as she steps from the home of the butcher. It had not been easy to tell him of his son's passing, but she felt it had been her task. She had taken the responsibility to find him. She had failed.

There had been crying, screaming, pleading, denial, anger, and finally an attempt to move on. "All for naught. His son is still gone. It is the way of things. Life must move from one to next. None should hold it beyond their turn."

She made her way toward the center of town. She seemed to recall seeing her companions there in the evening. Sure enough, there they were in various unsurprising states. Bugbear naked. Wolfen bossy. Willian bemused. Viola demure and not alone. Beside her stands a striking, blue man. Mel approaches the group.

"Hi...um......morning...Hello?" She directs this last word towards the strange blue fellow.
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2012-06-02 at 11:55 PM.
    No longer active in forums.
    Thank you to all who have brought me joy in game and out.
    Praise be to Dakaran for the elf monk avatar! (at rest)

PCs
    Melhved Brombriar, Goliath Warden - Keep of the Shadowfell (retired)
    Aeren Tatallaner, Eladrin Bard - Scales of War (retired)
    DMings

19. - Top - End - #409

"Ah. I almost forgot. Melhved. You'll like this one.
    Last edited by thereaper; 2012-06-03 at 12:55 AM.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel, for once, looks up at the newcomer. "Melhved," he ventures. "It is good to meet you. I am Radiel, servant of Avandra." His arms remain at his sides, as if he is reluctant to offer her a handshake.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-06-03 at 01:10 AM.
    HOMEBREW

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah...Radiel........Mel," she says nodding curtly. She offers her hand but awkwardly pulls it back when none is extended by the deva. Looking around for Viola, she fiddles with the straps of her belt pouch nervously as she waits for someone else to say something.

PCs
    DMings

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

A middle-aged human man in worn leather breeches approaches the group slowly. He has greying hair and life's worth of wrinkles. His coat is quality made but shows signs of repair. He takes a tri-corner had from his head as he nears you.

"Please forgive my interruption, brave ones, but I have a matter I wish to discuss with you. I can pay you for your time and have a warm breakfast waiting. I have heard tell of your victory and have need of heroes like yourself. Would you join me in the Singing Syren tavern (the one unscathed) if you are...uh", looking at Bugbear, "...ready?"
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2012-06-03 at 10:48 PM.

PCs
    DMings

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Viola mysteriously reappears at the man's words. She hooks an arm with Mel and suggests that yes, this is the thing she was waiting for.

"Radiel's a bit stuffy, but he should come with us as well. He told me earlier that he has also slain a dragon in his time. Whether or not that was when dinosaurs also walked the land, he did not clarify." she passively attempts to make mischief for the Deva, while eager to follow the human to a warm breakfast.

24. - Top - End - #414

"Fine by me. Let's get a move on, men!"

Wolfen points his trusty spear in the direction of the tavern and sets off.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel gives the drow a blank look, though his pupils are clearly dilated in irritation. He nods, however, following Wolfen to the tavern.
    HOMEBREW

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved

Mel looks visibly relieved when Viola appears and takes her arm. She gladly follows the Drow towards the tavern.

PCs
    DMings

27. - Top - End - #417
    Orc in the Playground

Bugbear - Fighter
    With a final undignified struggle Bugbear manages to pull his clothes on, stuff his gear into a pack, and turn to properly greet his companions. A boisterous hug for Melhved and a fatherly kiss on Viola's forehead, handshakes and back-slaps for Wolfen and Wilian. "The Heroes of Halmaren! HA, wonderful!" Turning to Radiel, Bugbear extends his hand, "Hello pale one, Bugbear Boulder: Greatest Grappler in the Realms, at your service. I heard our young lady say you had slain a dragon as well, correct? We must share our stories... Wait, did someone mention breakfast? Lead on, my friend!"

28. - Top - End - #418
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel turns suddenly and briefly has his hand crushed in Bugbear's grip before the hulking man rushes off to the tavern. "No, I've never-" he manages before the man escapes.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-06-04 at 02:57 PM.
    HOMEBREW

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

Viola enjoys the trip to the new tavern. She prattles on about what a night it was last night, and how she lost sight of Mel, and on and on. The Drow Elf seems quite pleased that everyone is sticking together and another adventure is on the horizon.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

The Singing Syren looks intact as you step inside but the innkeeper’s joy at seeing customers quickly turns to fear when he sees who you are. Almost pleading, he mumbles, “Just eat, no drinks.” Your host leads you to a side room where a healthy repast is waiting. Warm breads, fresh fruits, and salted meats await your leisure. He waits until you are seated and serving yourselves before he speaks.

“My name is Donal Mercathy. I’m a tradesman by nature, but these times have brought other responsibilities to my plate. Where before I exchanged harvests for goods, corn for livery, now I trade information for services. Where there’s need of help, I find the talent to solve the problem. Think of me as a middleman, a talent agent, of sorts. I have found a problem requiring your talents, if you will.”

PCs
    DMings