New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The World in Revolt IC

“Just north of here, at the base of The Moon Hills, a team of dwarves were, well, being dwarves. Their digging revealed a tomb entrance which, research led them to believe, dated back to the height of the ancient Tiefling Empire. The dwarves were getting ready to transfer the find over to scholars from Gardmore Abbey when this current chaos broke out. A second team from the abbey went to check on the first team. They found the camp destroyed, most likely be wandering savages, but signs pointed that they took refuge inside the tomb. When the second team went inside, they were ambushed by “horrid creatures of unnatural origin”. That’s the extent of our knowledge as the one who made it back to Fallcrest alive is still quite incoherent with madness.”
    No longer active in forums.
    Thank you to all who have brought me joy in game and out.
    Praise be to Dakaran for the elf monk avatar! (at rest)

PCs
    Melhved Brombriar, Goliath Warden - Keep of the Shadowfell (retired)
    Aeren Tatallaner, Eladrin Bard - Scales of War (retired)
    DMings

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

“I’m afraid I have little to offer you as far as reward. The Abbey is upon hard times, as are we all. If I cannot appeal to your sense of heroics, justice, value of life, hatred of evil, thrill of adventure, or just for kicks, perhaps I can tempt you with tales of the treasures of the Tiefling Empress and her burial horde. The Teifling lords had sacked and pillaged many of the Dragonborn lands before returning here to honor their Empress. Greedy and selfish, she is rumored to have taken most of it with her. True or not, there should be much of value there.”

“It is but a day’s journey away and the questions’ answers will bring much peace to the Abbey.”

“What say you?”

PCs
    DMings

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, I am certain that I speak for everyone when I say that these rolls are divine! Have you tried them?" Viola says, daintily dabbing at the corner of her lip with a napkin. Though she did not need to eat, she found the motions of taking a meal with friends quite agreeable.

"In all seriousness, though, I would be delighted to plunder a long forgotten tomb. Dust is much more preferable to me than stinking, wet, humid, tortuous, banal, sticky, malarial swamp! I detest swamps -- what was I taking about again...?"
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

Bugbear - Fighter
    While shovelling handfulls of bacon and thick chunks of bread in his mouth, Bugbear frowns, "Buncha old abbey bookworms and some dwarf-sized tunnels full of who-knows-what? Not much of a show, who's going to see... Ooo, then again, them scholar-types like to write stuff down, don't they? Tell a good story! Heck, we could end up being legends, just like in them plays the fancy people used to go to instead of watching me and the old boys throw each other around!" In his excitement Bugbear jumps to his feet and slaps his hand down on the table (crushing a large red fruit under his palm). "YES! The Moon Hill Marauders versus the Terrors of the Tiefling's Tomb!!"

Once again lost to his fantasies of a cheering crowd, Bugbear closes his eyes and breathes deeply, basking in the imagined glory. After a moment he glances at Donal and says, "Maybe we should meet one of them scholars before we head down. You know, to make sure they get the story straight so far. Oh, and an artist too! I'm sure these Halmaren folks will want to commission a painting, maybe even a statue for the square, and we got to make sure they get my sideburns right. HA!" Smiling proudly, Bugbear sits back down, half-jokingly smoothing his scraggly facial hair with his fingers.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Halfling in the Playground

"I say we should help. Such ancient tomb is surely going to attract all sorts of unwanted attention if it has not already." Said Wilian, taking the rest of the meat before Bugbear got eye of it. "We should take care of whatever lurks inside too, before it takes notice of it´s newfound freedom."
    New avatar by Dirtytabs! 20% better than expected!

6. - Top - End - #426
    Orc in the Playground

"Your description indicates undead. Avandra is always in favor of freeing damned souls, and I am her sword. I will accompany you," Radiel decides, taking a bite of a small fruit. He gives Bugbear a brief, sidelong glance. "Any glory we will need will stem from divine providence, I believe. I can ensure that."
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved

Looking about the room at the group she has come to regard as her tribe, she nods to Donal.
    "Yeah......sure.....uh......I'm..in."

PCs
    DMings

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Donal

"Excellent. Excellent!" he cries, clapping his hands together and rubbing them. "I'll have things gathered and ready to leave within the hour. Give me a full hour instead. I'll need to lay in a few things for our unexpected recruit," he says looking to Radiel. "Meet me back here in one hour, ready to go. Thank you, and may Pelor bless you all." Grinning broadly he makes his way out of the room, patting some on the back, shaking hands with others, and simply nodding to Radiel.

PCs
    DMings

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Donal

Returning nearly an hour later, Donal returns, breathing heavily but smiling. "I've gathered what supplies are available," he says dropping six medium sacks on the table. "I'm afraid I could only collect enough for two days. Your celebration was quite extensive. It should suffice until you can reach the dwarves camp. You may find some things there." He looks at each of you in turn. "Wolfen, Bugear, Wilian, Viola, Radiel, Melhved. Thank you. I eagerly await your return." He bows deeply and begins to leave the room, but hesitates. Turning slowly and looking quite sheepish, he says, "Forgive my temerity, but I have one favor to ask. If, in your searching, you find a scepter of copper topped with a lump of obsidian, I would pay very well for it. I have an acquaintance who has been looking for it for quite some time. Many blessings." He bows again and hurries from the room.

PCs
    DMings

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

"What a queer human, Viola muses to no one in particular, "he handles himself more like a gnome than anything."

She hefts a sack, then wrinkles her nose. Apparently, it is heavier than she would like to carry. Dropping it back on the table, she turns back to the group, "Well? Now that we have eaten and rested, perhaps we should get a move on...?"

11. - Top - End - #431
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Hm. People care about the most worthless things."

Wolfen stands and grabs his pack, spear at the ready.

"Well, let's get a move on."
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

"Are you referring to the scepter? I assume it is magical -- or perhaps a key to some royal vault. Such artifacts are rarely coveted for their ... Shall we say 'swank?'"

13. - Top - End - #433
    Orc in the Playground

Bugbear - Fighter
    Bugbear grabs his pack, then scoops up Viola's and Melhved's as well. "Allow me ladies!" he bellows, proud of his gallantry.

Marching out the door, Bugbear takes his usual travelling spot beside Wilian. "So, we're going to meet up with some dwarves, eh? Did I ever tell you about my old wrestling coach: Master Stoneskull? Dwarf Monk, half my size but he could flip me like a flapjack with one arm tied behind his back! He taught me this great move I'll show you some time. See, you take the guy's leg, and..." Bugbear continues enthusiastically miming a complicated wrestling move as they walked through town towards the main road.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel observes the proceedings impassively, slipping the sack into the left sleeve of his robes and drawing his own scepter to keep it at the ready. "I follow your lead. May Avandra ever twist fortune in our favor," he intones.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

The Moon Hills off in the distance are your target. Details on the hand-drawn map are limited, but the short pass between the Twin Hills to the north is obvious even at this distance. You soon pass out of the areas that would turn swampish in Spring as the ground becomes more firm and the grasses grow more lush. Animal trails cut through the grass giving easy passage. The few natural creatures you see keep their distance. Even the mundane animals of the area seem to sense something is amiss in the world.

After one short, uneventful stop for lunch and a few more hours travel put you just short of the Twin Hill pass. Traveling a short ways up the gentle valley, you find what you assume to be the dwarven camp. Crude tents, scattered tools, and cold, stone-lined firepits fill a 20' by 30' clearing at the foot of the eastern hill. Two larger tents with open sides house tables. One appears to be for eating while the second holds rock samples of various sizes that have been chipped smaller by more delicate tools.

The camp appears to be in some disarray. One or two tents seem uprooted, something scattered a firepit, and there looks to be some dried blood on the ground.

PCs
    DMings

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved

Mel enjoyed the hike through the countryside. So many lands were different from where she grew up. Each had its own feel, its own smell, its own song. "Melora, you are the artist of our souls. Thank you."

When she nears the encampment, however, her eyes no longer linger on the foiliage, they dart from rock to bush to tent to firepit, trying to make sense of what happened and watch to see what is about.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+5)[11]
    Nature - (1d20+12)[31]

She sees plenty off signs that animals have been through the camp, mostly picking at leftover supplies, nosing around the eating area, but no sign of what may have happened to the campers.
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2012-06-12 at 11:33 PM.

PCs
    DMings

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

frown Re: The World in Revolt IC

Viola saunters around the scene, displaying her characteristic nonchalance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception roll (1d20+4)[9]

18. - Top - End - #438
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel slowly scans the surroundings, piecing together events but paying particularly close attention to the tent housing rock samples. He cycles through the endless, fogged memories of his previous incarnations, attempting to ascertain if this is a familiar sight.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+7)[27] Perception
    (1d20+7)[23] Nature
    (1d20+12)[21] History
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-06-13 at 08:16 AM.
    HOMEBREW

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

Bugbear - Fighter
    Looking over the grim sight, Bugbear finds himself without anything to say. Sometimes he forgets that he's not in a show any more, and death comes without applause.

While his companions search the rubble for evidence of what happened to the dwarves, Bugbear strolls around the perimeter of the camp, eyes and ears open for anything that might be watching them.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[7] Perception to try and spot or hear any nearby creatures.
    (1d20+4)[21] Nature to identify anything he sees or hears.

20. - Top - End - #440

Wolfen takes a drink from a canteen.

"So, this seems to be the camp. The tomb is probably somewhere around here."

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

Viola
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing of worth catches your eye, besides the dwarves' terrible sense of camp decor.

Radiel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flashes go by as pages from a wind-swept book. Races, creatures, campsites by the thousands. Several marks on the samples bring to mind an excavation from years gone by. Standard dwarven procedure, even if mining is not the goal, to test randomly for precious metals and gems whenever removing rocks from the earth. It shows respect for the Great Forger, to find his gifts wherever they may lie.

The campsite has seen its share of common scavengers, but no sign of attackers. It is not until you notice one of the smudges in the scattered firepit left a strange pattern, not unlike an octopus tentacle. No natural creature would have left that. More likely some aberrent, magical creature with tentacles that could fly.

Bugbear
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who ever they fought seems to have not left a single footprint. Perhaps they flew? There are enough things with wings in this kind of terrain to do the job. Don't see 'em around. Must've known you were coming. Too scared to face you.
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2012-06-15 at 02:54 AM.

PCs
    DMings

22. - Top - End - #442
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel slowly turns to his companions, relaying the information he has uncovered. "Strange beings call this area home, it would seem. We should continue our search for the tomb."

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I make an Arcana check to identify the flying tentacled creature by its marks? If so...
    (1d20+10)[29]
    okay this is great and all but i know once we get in combat these dice won't roll over a five
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-06-15 at 11:41 AM.
    HOMEBREW

23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground

"Tentacles, hmm? I do hope they aren't slimy. I was just beginning to relax, thinking we would be fighting nice, dry creatures. Like skeletons. Oh, well... We do what we must..." The sacrifices she makes for her companions.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like how you gave us each a note in our characters' own thoughts and speech patterns. That was a nice touch.

24. - Top - End - #444

"Let's move."

25. - Top - End - #445
    Orc in the Playground

Bugbear - Fighter
    "Yeah, nothing left 'round here to do. May as well keep moving."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: @WaffleLord Is there an obvious path to follow, or will we need to search for the direction to the tomb?

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

At the northern end of the camp, there is a well worn path leading farther up the pass. Ruts in the ground show carts carrying heavy loads passed this way. Fifty feet further, as the ground turns rocky, the path turns sharply east through obvious excavation. Fifteen feet into the hill is a wide, constructed opening that appears to have once held an elaborate stone door. In its place is a hastily built, but sturdy wooden door blocking the passage. Along the cleared edges of the doorway, you see engravings both decorative and informative. Several images of tieflings are visible tending and serving a central larger teifling female.

Radiel
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you continue to ruminate on the campsite details, the tentacle markings have more in common with an aboleth variant or grell than an aquatic beast. Given the terrain and circumstances, a grell would be more probable.
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2012-06-15 at 02:30 PM.

PCs
    DMings

27. - Top - End - #447

Wolfen walks to the large door and examines it for a moment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+4)[13], looking for traps. Wolfen does not trust this door.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

"My Cautious Commander. I doubt that the dwarves trapped their own front door -- I find it much more likely they were eliminated by the Tentacled Monsters. Nonetheless, your caution is perhaps well called for.

"I think a Lady's Touch is called for in such a situation. If you please..."
    Viola silently glides up behind the human she considers the leader of the group as she speaks. She places an ice cold hand on his left shoulder, leaning around him to get a better look at the door. Despite their long, dirty journey, the Drow Elf's perfect white curls are unmarred by sweat, and she smells of roses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Viola would like to offer her services as a person trained in Thievery (+13)
    I think it is perception to detect traps and thievery to disarm them, but I could be wrong. Anyway, Viola would like to check the door and stay close to the front of party formation for future trap duties.
    (1d20+4)[7] perception
    (1d20+13)[19] thievery to do traps / pick lock / show off

29. - Top - End - #449
    Orc in the Playground

Bugbear - Fighter
    Bugbear paces impatiently back and forth as Wolfen and Viola stare at the wooden door. Finally he rolls his eyes in boredom, steps back and charges shoulder-first through the door (to the shock and chagrin of his more cautious team mates).

Brushing the dust and splinters off his armour, he announces with a satisfied smile, "There! Now let's get this show on the road."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+15)[23] Athletics to knock the door down.

OOC: I'll change the text in my post if Bugbear fails to bust through the door.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel stares at the scene impassively, clearing the dust from before him with a single hand. "Perhaps, in the future, we should avoid handling doors as if they were combatants."

He walks toward the entrance calmly, not waiting for his allies to follow.
    HOMEBREW