New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The World in Revolt IC

Melhved

The explosion of the skeleton is less frightening than the eruption of words that happens between her companions. "Viola. Undead?" Mel mulls this over as Wolfen steps between the two. When she had noticed the Drow borrowing sustenance from Bugbear weeks ago, she had thought little about it. "Even the smallest insects rely on others for their food. They take what they need and are thankful. Only the foolish would take enough to kill their food source," Mel ponders. But this new claim about her companion, her friend?
    This would take some thought. Mel nursed her wounds as she watched things calm down with the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, encounter (with the planned bad guys) done. If fighting breaks out between teammates, new initiative.
    No longer active in forums.
    Thank you to all who have brought me joy in game and out.
    Praise be to Dakaran for the elf monk avatar! (at rest)

PCs
    Melhved Brombriar, Goliath Warden - Keep of the Shadowfell (retired)
    Aeren Tatallaner, Eladrin Bard - Scales of War (retired)
    DMings

2. - Top - End - #512
    Orc in the Playground

Bugbear - Fighter
    Bugbear feels his way along the wall, listening carefully for any more steps shuffling towards them from the darkness. "Helloooo... anyone there?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[9] Perception

Taking a pause to catch his breath, he calls back to his friends, "Would y'all it down back there? There might be more of these things hiding! 'Sides, I can't count the number of times I've been set on fire by accident, happens to the best of us. All part of the show!"

"Now, anybody got a light?"

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Melhved

Still lost in thought, Mel absently draws a sunrod out of her backpack, smack the base on the ground and tosses it into the darkness of the room.

PCs
    DMings

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

The room brightens into daylight, every corner illuminated by the brilliant but gentle glow of the sunrod. The twenty foot tall walls are decorated with more of the same writing you saw outside. Murals carved into the sandstone walls look slightly faded but easily recognizable as Tieflings paying homage to a central larger female Tiefling. Along the walls you see various acts of obedience and fealty being displayed. Some represent offerings of treasure, food, cloth, animals, while some show acts of bravery and, in some cases sacrifice. This room seems to glorify and tell the greatness of the Tiefling Empress whose name under one central image of her greatness is written in many languages: Empress Nemeia.

The runes on the ground, however, seem fresh. Even the newest apprentice could tell that these runes are written in arcane script, but have not yet been imbued with any power. The fissures in the center look natural in origin but attempts at widening them with tools are visible along the edges.

In the south western corner of the room is a passage that slants down into the darkness.

PCs
    DMings

5. - Top - End - #515
    Troll in the Playground

"No, we will not discuss this later -- I need to know if this zealot has a problem with me. What if I were undead? What if I were the Tarrasque -- or Pazuzu!? Would you turn on me just as soon as we've destroyed these skeletal guards together?" the petite Drow's ice cold finger stabs into the tall Deva's chest as she glares up at him.

Her generally sanguine disposition has vanished.
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Orc in the Playground

This time Radiel grabs the drow's hand as it approaches and looks her directly in the eyes. "Do NOT question my loyalty. I have faithfully served far greater causes than you could possibly dream of, and I will not be treated as a traitor over something so trivial. If you do not trust your party members to defend you, perhaps I am not the one about whom we should be concerned," he growls, abandoning his normal monotone. "If you are undead, then I have no quarrel with you so long as your allies come before any hunger you might possess. Now let us move on, in all regards," he finishes, turning away and returning to his usual cadence. "Empress Nemeia..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+12)[22] History check to recognize the name
    (1d6)[5] Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes bonus if I roll less than a total of twenty.
    Pardon the multiple posts, I didn't format the rolls right the second time and forgot them altogether the first time.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-07-01 at 10:45 PM.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Halfling in the Playground

"Donīt worry, guys, Iīm fine, by the way. Are you fine there too, Bugbear, hairy friend?"

Wilian approaches to Viola after the Cleric stops trying to exorcise her on the spot.

"Donīt worry. Even if you are undead, you stood on our side against a dragon, even at the front. No one less than an ally wouldīve done that. Now, about these murals..."

Spoiler
    Show
    History roll to get some facts from these murals... (1d20+12)[26]
    Took two healing surges, plus the 6 point bonus. From 9 hp, current life is at 33hp.
    New avatar by Dirtytabs! 20% better than expected!

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

Viola huffs about, but seems to be regaining her composure. The blood pounding in her ears is deafening to her. Okay, that's the closest I've come to admitting my nature to mortals -- and so far, I haven't been persecuted.

She is no help with the murals, focusing inwardly during the rest.

Spoiler
    Show
    I finished the encounter with 3/2 surges. If my memory serves, the extra surge is burned and I gain my bloodied value in hp, putting me at full life (I regenerate when bloodied, so enter the rest above my bloodied value)

I could be wrong though.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilian and Radiel

Spoiler
    Show
    The 'Demon Empress' Nemeia was one of Bael Turath's greatest rulers, a master of Necromancy and other dark arts, a High Mage and also Arch-Priestess of Asmodeus. She initiated the great wars with Arkhosia that would ultimately destroy both empires. The circumstances of her demise are unclear. She was buried with great pomp and ceremony, but some sages believe she may have been assassinated by her fellow High Magi - many were ambitious, resentful of her power, and fearful of her mad rages. Rumors abound of what was buried with her and what was divided amongst those who parceled out what was left of her rule.

PCs
    DMings

10. - Top - End - #520
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel absentmindedly looks about the room, his voice smooth and serene as if the prior altercation had never happened, as he discusses his knowledge of Empress Nemeia. Following his short speech, he turns to the runes and gestures to Wilian. "Are you well enough to examine or, perhaps, even imbue these runes with power, if it would be to our benefit to do so?" he asks the young wizard. "I have some knowledge of the arcane, but I am certain yours is greater."

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+10)[29] (Arcana) I might as well.
    Holy ****.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-07-03 at 11:43 PM.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Radiel

As you ponder the runes scratched upon the floor, the mists of memory coalesce into forms from an early lifetime. The young dwarf by your side, goading you on. Your own arm gripping the arcanely hardened stylus, etching nearly identical runes on the ritualistic dias. Chanting, sacrificing, enscrolling, entreating. The Summoning. Power, resistance, breech, chaos, destruction. The beginning of the next turn of The Wheel. The present reasserts itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    These runes are the foundation for a summoning ritual that you once attempted in a previous life. Many rituals need to be layered over this to make it safe, but its purpose is to force something banished back into this realm. It location and personal identifiers are different from the ones you used. In fact, neither the place nor person sound familiar to you.

PCs
    DMings

12. - Top - End - #522
    Orc in the Playground

Radiel's eyes flash momentarily as the knowledge of his past lives sweeps across his eyes, illuminating the meaning of the runes, but he remains silent, looking to the wizard as though he were as ignorant as a peasant. "Do you recognize them?"

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+4)[23] Bluff check just in case.
    How 'bout 19, does 19 work for you?
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-07-17 at 02:37 PM.
    HOMEBREW

13. - Top - End - #523

"Yes, yes, the runes. Let me take a look..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana roll:(1d20+12)[19]

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilian

Spoiler
    Show
    These runes are very similar to a summoning ritual that you once asked your mentor about. It differs from a traditional summoning in that the target of the central ritual was forcibly banished from this realm. You do not recognize the name of the creature being summoned, nor the location of its banishment.

PCs
    DMings

15. - Top - End - #525
    Orc in the Playground

Bugbear - Fighter
    Bugbear sits against the far wall, near the entrance to the hallway leading further in. Still a little woozy from the draining attacks of the wights, he slaps his face a couple times, trying to clear his head.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake obsidian View Post
    "Are you fine there too, Bugbear, hairy friend?"
    Hearing the concern in his friend's voice, Bugbear snaps out of it and jumps to his feet. Putting up his fists and hopping from side to side in a half-joking impression of a boxer, he responds with enthusiasm, "Woo! Yeah! OK! I'm up, I'm good. How are you doing back there Wil? I sorta lost you when those things showed up, but once lighting started cracking around in here I figured Billy Boomstick was up to his old tricks!"

16. - Top - End - #526

Wilian walked in circles outside the runes.
    "Odd. These runes are part of a summoning ritual, but instead of bringing something, they vanish it. I canīt figure out what was banished this way or why, sorry."

17. - Top - End - #527
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Let's move out."
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

18. - Top - End - #528
    Orc in the Playground

"Where to, then?" Radiel asks, curious.
    HOMEBREW

19. - Top - End - #529
    Orc in the Playground

Bugbear - Fighter
    Bugbear picks up the sunrod and heads towards the hallway leading further into the tomb. He stops just past the chamber to look back at his companions with a grin and a wink. "Only one way to go I suppose. Let's see what else is creeping around down here, looking for a rumble!"

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

After Mel retrieves the sunrod and hands it to Bugbear, the group cautiously moves down the southern corridor. As the light form the sunrod turns the corner, it shines upon two skeletal figures standing in the corridor. The light from the sunrod seems to ignite the boney creatures and they burst into flame. They immediately launch balls of fire into the crowd and turn in retreat.

Spoiler
    Show
    As my time on line is limited, see OOC, I will need to post the readied attack results on Sunday. Please roll for initiative. Thank you again for your patience.

PCs
    DMings

21. - Top - End - #531

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[19]

22. - Top - End - #532
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[13] Initiative
    HOMEBREW

23. - Top - End - #533

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative roll: (1d20+3)[10]

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+3)[15]

PCs
    DMings

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Init (1d20+8)[14]

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

As the light form the sunrod turns the corner, it shines upon two skeletal figures standing in the corridor. The light from the sunrod seems to ignite the boney creatures and they burst into flame. They immediately launch balls of fire into the crowd and turn in retreat. Radiel moves to dodge but there is too little time. Fire splashes up his arm and continues to burn. Bugbear steps to the side and lets the fiery ball smash into the wall.
    Spoiler
    Show

Skeletons
    Standard Action
    Skeleton1 Flame Orb vs Radiel Reflex (17) - (1d20+10)[22] HIT
    Damage - (2d4+4)[11] and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends)
    Skeleton2 Flame Orb vs Bugbear Reflex (16) - (1d20+10)[12] MISS
    Damage - (2d4+4)[7]

Move Action
    Move to K16 and K19 respectively.

Initiative for something else - (1d20+5)[17]
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2012-07-19 at 10:52 PM.

PCs
    DMings

27. - Top - End - #537

Wolfen moves to J20.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

As Wolfen rounds the corner, a third skeleton fires into life throwing the room into flickering brightness. A narrow room ending in a closed portcullis with a glowing insignia on the floor lights with wavering light. What catches Wolfen's peering eyes, however, are the additional zombie standing on an icy patch on the floor. At the arrival of the Warlord they begin to shuffle forward.
    WOLFEN
    Spoiler
    Show

As you would have noticed the zombies when you came in the room, would you like to change your action? Otherwise, they're up next.
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2012-07-20 at 06:03 PM.

PCs
    DMings

29. - Top - End - #539

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I forgot where I was and exactly how many squares I moved, so I'll just change my positioning a little. I have no idea what I was thinking, putting Wolfen directly adjacent when he's carrying a spear.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

The zombies shuffle forward, showing great care in avoiding the flames licking the skeletons. As they approach Wolfen, he feels cold radiating from them, the air hanging in near frozen clouds around them. They reach for Wolfen with their frozen limbs trying to bring him into their cold embrace. From each beast the blows land, chilling the Warlord to his core. Just being close to these fiends fills him with icy dread.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Action (avoiding Opp Att)
    Zombie1 to H18
    Zombie2 to II18

Standard Action
    Zombie1 Slam vs Wolfen AC (24) - (1d20+11)[30] HIT
    Damage - (1d6+4)[6]
    Zombie2 Slam vs Wolfen AC (24) - (1d20+11)[28]HIT
    Damage - (1d6+4)[5]
    Takes 11 damage, IMMOBILIZED until end of the next zombie turn, and ongoing 5 cold damage (save ends)
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2012-07-21 at 02:56 AM.

PCs
    DMings