Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 578

Thread: Gai-len [IC]

  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Regulation 12b, Nala thinks to herself. I can work with regulations. "We are not violating regulation 12b," she calls down. As she does so, she tries to sit up in the net, so that she is in a slightly more comfortable position, and where she can move her hands without being seen from below. "We do have business being around your mine. The dark elves that have stolen the thing are in your mine. We are going to get it and leave, a simple process that will be of no cost to you. That is a good reason to be here. Unless you want to deal with it yourself and waste your own resources? Our safe passage to and from the mine is all it takes to rid yourself of this problem."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff probably needed. (1d20+5)[20]
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  2. - Top - End - #332
    Orc in the Playground
     
    maestrodesigns's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Tralkor enjoys the conversation while casually leaning on his enormous club. He tries to remember the bits and pieces he picked up on the southern races. These little ones, commonly known as Kobolds were a 'draconic' race. So, probably greedy, proud and arrogant, gheh.

    He sighs. Even though he would love to batter some respect for nature into these unworthy dragon-wannabees, he knows it's in the best interest of the group if they don't get into a fight with these creatures.

    He rasps his throat and starts speaking to the little critters in the draconic tongue: "Greetings Dragonkin. Make no mistakes. We are not here to break your rules, nor to pick a fight. We have business with the Dark Elves, not with you. If you let us be, it will be as if we've never been here. Trust me, it will be best for the both of us if we continue as if we've never met."
    Active Characters

  3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    "Watch your mouth! That language is not yours to..." the kobold suddenly stops speaking and eyes Nala quizzically: "There are Dark Elves in our mine? Are you crazy? What...are you playing tricks on us?" He looks around to the other kobolds.

    "Are they playing tricks on us?" The kobolds shrug and look as puzzled as the speaker. "Nevertheless, you are trespassing and you will be fined. If you can or will not comply, you will remain our prisoners." He looks back "What is the fine?"

    "One hundred and twenty gold pieces or equivalent in coins or gems."
    Avatar by Recaiden

  4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nalaís mouth goes dry. She was afraid this was going to come up eventually, gold. More the fact that she is carrying coins that probably have not been seen on this continent before their arrival. Hopefully to the little creatures gold is just gold, but it would still be a risk. Then again, being taken prisoner Ė again Ė is certainly a worse possibility.

    "Rules are rules,"
    she says from up in the net. "I am carrying enough gold. Let me down and we shall pay it and be on our way."
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    The kobold grins a bit. "Noooo....does not work that way. First you pay, or one of your friends. Then we release you and then you will go back the way you came."
    Avatar by Recaiden

  6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala grits her teeth. There is only so much she is willing to take from these arrogant little lizards. She opens her mouth to snap something, but then reconsiders. She canít afford to lose her temper and endanger all of them. She would have to sacrifice her pride to end this predicament more carefully. She takes a long, slow breath. "Very well." Itís not like she can make use of the gold, anyway, she tries to reason. Logic tells her this is the safer way, but her pride still hurts. She shifts and tries to dig around for the gold, hidden near the bottom of her pack. It takes a long time, given her uncomfortable position. As she does so, she shifts the pack so that itís between her and the leaders, and her crossbow shifts so that itís near to hand, still unloaded. She keeps her knife in one hand as the other judges the weight of the coins.

    She drops the bag down, to where she can still see it. "The equivalent of one hundred and twenty gold pieces. Strange coins - took them off of the corpses of some equally strange creatures a while back. But gold is gold." She watches the lizards closely, one hand tight on her knife and the other holding the empty crossbow.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (1d20+5)[11]
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground
     
    maestrodesigns's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    While the Kobolds and Nala are working out the details of their financial agreement, Tralkor is going through an internal struggle. These Kobolds are growing more and more confident, and were already taking advantage of the situation. These little critters might soon grow into a serious problem.
    He'd personally prefer to take out these pests. Better safe then sorry, and besides... Mother nature wouldn't miss 'm all too much anyhow. He was sure of that.
    On the other hand, taking out this group might bring unwanted attention from the rest of 'm. Or even worse; the Drow might be alerted of their presence...

    He sighs. He really can't figure out what would be the best course of action right now. He just knows he sincerely doesn't like the situation as it is. He tightens the grip on his club, assesses the situation and gets ready to take out some Kobolds swiftly, should such a thing be needed.
    Active Characters

  8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    The kobold that had been announcing the regulations and penalties darts forward and kneels down besides Nala's bag while producing a sack out of his own tiny backpack. He rummages a bit untill he finds the stash of silver, gold and platinum pieces and then proceeds to count pieces out in the open, visible to all. He has clearly done this before, since he produces six stacks of coins worth 20 gold each within 20 seconds. "Twenty, twenty, twenty, twenty, twenty and twenty makes one hundred and twenty, right?" He looks around to his companions, but also to you in order to get confirmation that he did well. It looks about right. He then puts the coins in his own sack and neatly restores Nala's bag to a decent state.

    With perhaps some relieve, you notice he is not at all concerned by the shape, markings or other qualities of your 'alien' coin. The leader takes the word again, as the kobold with the coins returns to his former location. "Right, now my friend will head off to do the administration and we will release your lady there." He looks up and gives you a wink, Nala.

    Tralkor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice that the kobold is quite the con artist. He managed to put ten gold pieces more in his sack than what he appeared to have done. By virtue of your hawk's eye, you noticed this. Quite likely nobody else saw this. You can call him out on that, of course, but on the other hand these ten gold pieces might not be worth the trouble (it is a very small fraction of your total wealth). It looks like you all are 'off the hook' in moments.


    OOC/All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right, I will give you some time to put up a post if you want to interfere with the course of action the kobold leader has suggested. For those of you who want to put his motives to the test, I can assure you now that he is sincere (to avoid five days of us rolling SM and bluff checks). They are content with what they got out of the bargain, it seems.


    DMrolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

    T (1d20)[15]
    K (1d20)[4]
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2012-04-22 at 05:27 PM.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala watches silently as the administrative lizard counts, holding her breath and tensing every muscle. When he appears to take no note of their abnormalities, she lets out the breath and forces her muscles to relax somewhat. She isnít pleased that the lizard has to run off to do the administration, but at this point there is nothing left to do but wait. She keeps a grim silence, with frustrated thoughts simmering beneath her tight control.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel is still unsure of whether or not simply start hacking away at the small creatues - she can tell that it would be fairly easy to create a resonating frequency of sadness in her blade, which would make it fairly easy to simply cut one down before the rest could react. She didn't like how they were treating her now entangled comrades - couldn't they see what precious potential they were so roughly handling? A rare feeling rises in her, something like anger, but more resembling a cold desire to simply sweep them out of the way and continue. The others would be fine with that, wouldn't they?

    Her mentor said humans liked coin and that many would fight over sufficient quantities. Perhaps she could calm any annoyance her allies would have at such a slaughter with whatever treasure these annoyances were carrying with them? Without any change in her neutral expression, Siel casts a glance across the creatures, considering how much they might be carrying. Then her eyes flicker to Tralkor, seeing Tralkor's hands gripping his club. Alone she might not be able to kill them, but with the ogre she would have no trouble. Ideally, of course, Nala would be able to participate, but that wasn't a necessity. Vrishchika hadn't said anything yet, but Siel knew she would probably spring into action if combat began.

    As one of the lizards begins to count Nala's coins, Siel decides upon a different course of action and, without even a glance at any kobolds threatening her, casually walks over to him. Recalling the special sweetness* of the suffering she had taken from her currently captured ally, Siel effortlessly changes her expression and posture to imply a cheerful demeanor and lowers herself to a crouch next to the pouch.

    You don't understand the situation fully. You see, we are in violation of no regulation. We have business around your mine, which is the business of travelling into the mine itself to complete our business within the mine, Siel begins. In fact, we followed marks that only Quetzalqualqualbenthqualqual would have placed to lead us here, she adds. While Siel stays near the kobold next to the pouch, she makes sure to address the apparent leader with at least the important parts of her speech.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Yes, I know it's described as bitter, but she's a fey, so her mindset is different enough that I can say 'bitter for humans is sweet for her'.

    Or something.

    Oh, and Bluff checks.

    Bluff (to appear, you know, actually cheerful): (1d20+12)[24]

    Diplomacy: (1d20+12)[28]
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2012-04-24 at 08:46 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Tralkor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Allright, Siel interrupts, so the other OoC message becomes sort of void. The kobold is interrupted in his work to stack the coins. Youíre not sure whether he is doing it on purpose, but he miscounted a stack or two. Right now, you are suspicious. Should he get the chance to finish his work, you will have seen enough to know for sure he was tricking you.


    As Siel moves forward, the kobolds that were guarding her follow her, shuffling, holding their spears aimed at her. "Hey, hey", sounds from their side as they wish to make clear they do not agree. They also poke you with their spears, but honestly, there is not much force behind. Actually, you are all getting the idea that these guys are not as brave as they pretend to be.

    After a moment of slight panic, the leader steps forward and speaks again. "Hold on, now. Something is wrong here. I believe you when you say you think you have business with Dark elves in our mine, but there are no Dark elves in our mine." He appears to be rather sure. "They sometimes sneak in at night, to steal, but that's why we are here." He produces a smile that is supposed to be friendly, but his pointy teeth and scales are not helping.

    "Allright. An enemy of my enemy is my friend, huh? We know where the Dark elves live. It is an underground lair not far from here. We are willing to forgive you for trespassing, will allow you to carry on beyond our perimeter, to where whe will guide you. We can even make the fine go away largely, although I would have to ask for a compensation of the expensive trap we built and you sprung. It is expensive. Much labour." He looks around to all of you.

    "We will release you and bring you to the edge of our perimeter, close to the Dark elf lair. You pay us 40 gold to allow us to rebuild the trap. When you are done with your business with the Dark elves, should you survive, you avoid our perimeter on the way back."

    "What about it?"
    Avatar by Recaiden

  12. - Top - End - #342
    Orc in the Playground
     
    maestrodesigns's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Tralkor remains silent. He is aware of his ... 'not too subtle' ways of communicating with others and this situation seems to call for delicacy. Not his cup of tea. Best to let the others handle this.

    He is pleasantly surprised by the actions of their fey companion though. There's quite a few surprises left to this group it seems... It was a good decision to leave his 'home' to join this group of outsiders; not only do they appear to be quite capable of solving whatever issues they might face in protecting these lands from the Orc's desecration, but they also provide a steady stream of interesting new insights in other races.

    He still distrusts the scrawny reptiles though, especially after he noticed the one counting the coins palming a few more, so he keeps his club at the ready and a close eye on all of them. If they'd try to trick them once more he'd be ready to crack some of those tiny skulls.
    Active Characters

  13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel doesn't even consider the kobold's offer, seeing no reason to pay anything to them. After all, they clearly had no idea about the value her companions had, so they probably couldn't properly estimate the cost of their labor. Of course, she didn't trust them to be truthful even if they could. She did, however, pretend to do so for a moment. She was trying to be diplomatic, after all.

    Honestly, you should probably be paying us, as we're going to be keeping the dark elves from stealing from you for a long time. We'll go without, though, which you should be thankful for. It shouldn't take long to set up a new trap, and in the long run, things will be much better for you once the dark elves are gone. When they are taken care of, you won't need to patrol, saving you much more work than this trap was worth, Siel replies. While she keeps her voice fairly friendly, she adds a slight edge to it, to make it clear that this is not something to be negotiated.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Waiting for the transaction to be complete, Nala is startled by sudden movement from behind her. Twisting her neck around to see the ruckus, she hears Sielís voice drifting up. What is she doing? Nalaís stomach twists with the sudden onset of tension. As bright and cheerful as the fey seems Ė and that itself is something certainly odd Ė having the situation change so rapidly forces Nalaís worry to spike. Something is about to go wrong, her gut tells her. And up here, thereís nothing you can do about it.

    She is briefly heartened by the lizardís reply. It seems that Sielís plan, whatever it is, worked. Access to the mine is exactly what could help them the most. But then Siel doesnít seem content with that. Nalaís stress rises even further. Being helpless in the net is the worst possible set of circumstances for this. She much as she wants to hold Siel off Ė to tell her that it would be better to accept Ė showing fracturing and disagreement in the group is worse.

    She hopes for a favorable reply from the lizards. Itís all she can do. That and slowly, very slowly, pull out a crossbow bolt from her pack. If any of the lizards make a serious move against Siel or the others, she will be ready to contribute where she can.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    "Yes, yes, allright, I see where you are coming from." He pauses a moment to overthink is options. "We will release your friend and you can head off to the Dark elf city and you will not enter our mine. The cost of the trap is traded for your attempt to fight the Dark elves."

    "Deal?"
    Avatar by Recaiden

  16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel smiles warmly as the kobold gives in to her demands. That had been simple enough.

    I'm glad you've made the right choice. In the future, your troubles with the dark elves will be all but forgotten due to your decision, Siel says with a nod.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    "Allright, we have a deal." The kobold nods and then barks some commands in Draconic, instructing the others to release Nala. At this point, the spears are being lowered and the kobolds take some distance, the ones near Tralkor a bit quicker and a bit more eagerly than the others. It takes four of them to hold the rope and lower it gently. Two kobolds untie some ropes on the net so Nala can step out without much hassle. Then the kobolds gather behind their leader, who adresses Nala. "My apologies, madam, for the inconvenience. I hope you, as a warrior by the looks of you, understand we have to take measures to defend our land." The kobolds behind him are getting a bit nervous, it looks like they had rather leave now: They have lost their 'edge' and now the warrior is free, not to mention the towering ogre.

    "This is where our journeys part then, I guess." The kobold bares his teeth again in what is supposed to be a smile as suddenly a small spark is visible in his eyes. "Unless you, ehhh, want to buy some intelligence....info, eh? My guess is you lot have no clue what you are up against, or....?"
    Avatar by Recaiden

  18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel smiles yet again. If she were a mortal, her face might have grown sore due to the unusual stretching it involves, but molding her form in such a minor way is different for a being like her.

    I hate to sound demanding, but if we end up being captured due to a lack of information, the dark elves may turn on you, suspicious of you working with us to fight them, Siel says. What she doesn't say is that, in such a situation, she would have no problems betraying the kobolds to the dark elves if it meant the better for her and her comrades. She was feeling content with her decision due to the potential gain of information from the encounter. For a moment, doubts had surfaced, questions about whether or not it would have just been better to kill the kobolds rather than work with them. However, I don't think it would be unfair to give you and your fine companions some monetary compensation if you gave us additional assistance, the fey adds.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is why I love having > 1k spare gold and no spending plans. It's easy to get into the 'why not trade coins for actually useful stuff?' mindset. I imagine Siel would see currency as a means to manipulate humanoids first and foremost, with minor artistic value coming second.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  19. - Top - End - #349
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    When the lizards make a move to take her down, Nala quickly stuffs the crossbow bolt back in her pack and sheathes her knife. Apart from that, she waits patiently until she is able to unfold to her full height unimpeded. Her muscles protest as they are forced to uncurl from their uncomfortable position, and her legs feel slightly numb. Now standing nearby, the little lizards look even more unimposing.

    She keeps a rein on her temper when the leader speaks. He talks politely, at least, and the reasonable part of her mind appreciates that. "I do understand that you must take measures to defend your land," she says with a nod, aware of the nervousness of the little lizards. "Now that you are aware of our beneficial intentions, I hope that we will have no more problems. My partner's proposition is quite gracious" she adds neutrally, "information would be very helpful, and we would be appropriately greatful." The lizards are much more pliable than she had feared they would be, and it seems that Sielís threats did an excellent job of making them receptive to altering their demands. Safe passage alone is more than Nala had hoped for.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    "Right....we might be able to do some business here. One moment." He makes a gesture and the 'announcing' kobold approaches him. As he informs you of the type of information he has, every time the leader says, 'uhm' or 'ehhh', the announcer whispers in his ear. You estimate the announcer informs him on the sensitivity of the information and the price that fits it.

    "It depends, of course, on the type of information you require. We know a lot, they are one of our sworn enemies in this territory. Let me inform you on the type of information we can provide." He starts pacing to and fro as he elaborates.

    "For decades we have been rivalling for this specific piece of land. As such, we know exactly where the entrance of their lair is. We could inform you for, ehhh, 10 gold. Also, we know about their strengths. They have certain qualities you, I presume, and I do not possess. I could tell you about it for uhm....15 gold. What language do they speak? Do you know? 25 gold knows! They have certain offensive strategies....for sayehhh...50 gold pieces you will be the wiser."

    "How big is their lair, huh? Five elves, a hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, more? Do you know? Well, we do. Roughly, I must admit. For, hmmm, 70 gold pieces, you will as well. Who can enter their lair unpunished? Kobolds for sure not, but perhaps orcs can, or maybe even ogres."
    He looks up at Tralkor, sizing him up. "Or maybe not. For 300 gold..." the announcer blinks "...you know the disguise needed to pull your mission off." The kobold keeps pacing but then all of a sudden stops right in his track.

    "However! There are obstacles to enter their lair. It is NOT easy. It requires very specific knowledge or great skill. If you possess neither, you will for sure end up at a cemetery." He now looks at you intensely and with certain intent. "Remember, they are elves...creatures born with magic in their veins. Trust on your skill, if you will, but if you desire the knowledge it has a pricetag." He turns around and looks you in the eye. "1500 gold pieces to avoid the cemetery."

    "So, what is the nature of the knowledge you seek?"
    Avatar by Recaiden

  21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel turns to Nala, expecting the human to take the lead at this point. How much the information the kobold was offering was worth, or how much the coins themselves were worth, was beyond her knowledge. She had never really been interested in them, although some seemed quite interesting they had never held her attention for long. They looked nice, yes, but not particularly so, and had little value apart from when dealing with mortals. This was their use - to make it easier to deal with those that felt.

    At this point, the fey was content with what she had done. If combat broke out, they had nullified any advantage the kobolds had. In addition, Siel had kept a valuable source of sadness from being potentially killed. Perhaps letting the kobolds take gold would have resulted in a pleasant snack from the human woman, but in her time with mortals Siel had found that, if there were longer intervals between bouts of suffering, the taste of the pain grew more intense. As such, she had been able to fulfill all of her wants with a few simple actions.

    Siel was certain that, were she a mortal, this would be a cause for joy.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  22. - Top - End - #352
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala considers the lizardís offer carefully. Information is one of the few things she will not skimp on. If this is what is possible to learn, she wants all of it. Unfortunately, she doesnít have the funds to pay for it all, although the rest of the group might be able and willing to help. Some of the prices demanded are outrageous, but even so, there might be a way to make everyone happy.

    She quickly does some math in her head. "I think we might be able to reach an agreement. The total price of all of the information you can offer us comes to 1970 gold. Now, as the businessmen you seem to be, I assume you are aware of the concept of a bulk discount. I might be willing to offer you 1000 gold for the entire set. Considering that you were expecting only 120 gold for encountering us, this is your lucky day, isn't it? We can be very generous to those that help us. This is our offer." At the last sentence, her voice gains an iron quality to it. It feels so much more comfortable to be standing upright, armed and towering over the little lizards. Mentally, she hopes that they have that much gold between them.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    The kobold turns to Nala. His face tells you he is both puzzled and amazed, and there is also a hint of anger there. "Well, madam, I guess I can't blame you for trying. Please allow me to inform you that we are descendants of the mighty dragons. Not only the strongest and most powerful, but also the most intelligent creatures ever to have lived in this world." He pauses briefly.

    "I am not stupid. But yes, you are right. We can strike some form of deal. Avoiding the graveyard, that is the most....vital piece of information we have. That is 1500 gold. There is nothing I can do for you there. Should you buy it, I can reduce the price of the other informations by one-fourth. That is almost 120 gold. If you decide you have enough skill so you do not need the big information, I can offer you a reduction on all the other information combined of one-tenth. But only if you buy it all. That is 47 gold." He pauses again and seems to be recalculating it all again in his head.

    "Yes, that is our final offer."
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2012-05-01 at 02:26 AM.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nalaís temper frays even more. These arrogant little lizards. They could kill all of the little beasts right here, easily. How much do they really need this information? The knuckles on the hand crushing her spear shaft are deathly white with rage. Holding herself in check takes all of her mental strength. If something happens because they donít have this information, it will be entirely her fault. That is the only thought that she lets rule her.

    "Very well. I must approve such an expense with my comrades, but if we agree it will be at that reduced price for all of the information, including the graveyard. Now tell them," she gestures with her spear towards the pairs of lizards flanking her friends, "To back off so we may talk together."

    Nala takes a deep breath. They may not even have that much gold collectively. If these little monsters make one false move I will regret nothing.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    With the lizards gone, Nala turns her back to the lizards and faces the rest of the group "I think that information," she says in a low voice, and one that is more of a growl than a whisper, "is much more valuable than any amount of gold we may have. Also, carrying this gold is a risk Iím willing to do without." She does not specify why, in case they are overheard. "And that said, do we even have 1850 gold between us? I know that I only have 390. On the other hand, does anyone think we should just try our luck?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive on the leader, just as a precaution. (1d20+6)[24]
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    I have over a thousand coins, myself, Siel says, glancing a final time at the kobolds as they pull back. A little over thirteen hundred. Not very useful to me, but it can often make working with mortals quite a bit easier, the fey adds. She could tell that Nala was quite unhappy about something, although whatever emotion she was radiating, the aroma didn't at all resemble sadness. Perhaps it was anger? Mortals did often get angry when asked to pay large sums of money, for some reason.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is being sincere, you don't have the impression he has lied. He has all this info. There is just one thing with the 'big' information. He keeps avoiding saying 'you will die'. He mentions either a cemetery or a graveyard, like it is some form of word play. He is either someone who prefers to express himself in a very poetic way (which you have not noticed so far), or there's something up with that.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Derjuin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Land of Maps and Treasure
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Shifting somewhat nervously until the kobolds withdraw, Vrishchika stays silent as Siel handles the talking. When the party is allowed to convene, she shakes her head and grumbles lowly. "I don't particularly like it," she growls like a beast trying to keep itself hushed, "But I don't think we'll find much other use for our coin here. I have three hundred gold's worth on me, and I think I can part with half..." she pauses a moment, making sure the numbers are right.

    "I would vouch against leaving without any information at all. I don't trust my luck enough right now to place my life on the line with it...and I'd really rather not die just yet."

  29. - Top - End - #359
    Orc in the Playground
     
    maestrodesigns's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Tralkor sighs. His thoughts slowly returning to the here and now. While keeping an eye on the arrogant little creatures, his mind wandered off and he barely followed the conversation that took place. Somehow the screatures backed up all of a sudden and it seems their group is now engaged in some sort of discussion.

    He slowly realizes that the group kinda awaits a reaction, or opinion, or something from him as well...

    "Hrrm... Sorry... My mind was off somewhere, trying to figure out which one of these arrogant little naturemolesters should get the first blow to the head." he growls. Then he grins. "No worries though, that's just my Ogre ancestry talking. Most of us tend to be ... well .... not so diplomatic in our solutions to social dilemma's. I suffer from the same handicap, but luckily I've been blessed with somewhat of a brain in here..." he taps on his bold head ...that is able to rationally assess a situation. One of the more common insights is to simply leave diplomacy and delicate social interaction to others."

    Tralkor grins some more, but then looks at the rest more seriously. "But, ehm... I suppose that's not what this discussion was about though. I must admit I kinda missed most of it, but we seem to be in need of gold or something. I have one hundred and fifty gold or something. Don't have much use for it, so feel free to use it."
    Active Characters

  30. - Top - End - #360
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    "Right," Nala says. "Letís get this over with." She had noticed the leaderís syntax, but her curiosity is too much to call the lizard out on it. Unless the others object, she collects 300 gold from Vrishchika, 150 from Tralkor, the 390 from herself and the rest, 1020, from Siel.

    She turns back to the lizards. "Here is the gold. You count it in front of us, and none of you leave our sight until we have our information. All of it." She checks the items off deliberately on her fingers. "The entrance, their strengths, their language, the size of the lair, the most functional disguise, and how to avoid this graveyard you mention." An actual place or a funny way of saying death, she isnít sure, but suspects the former.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone wants to interrupt this process, go ahead. Once this is done, I'll alter my character sheet with the new data, including the value of the information.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •