Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 578

Thread: Gai-len [IC]

  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Full of anticipation, you all wait a few moments to see if something else happens. Nothing else happens.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    With a shrug Siel begins to walk deeper into the cave. "Let's investigate the sound we heard. Perhaps it was the opening of some sort of pathway,"
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  3. - Top - End - #393
    Orc in the Playground
     
    maestrodesigns's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    With a childish grin on his face, Tralkor follows Siel. Ever since he was just a teeny little Ogre, anticipation and curiosity always had been the victors in any internal struggle regarding safety versus satisfying curiosity.

    "Righto. Let's see if this Elven city is as big as those little lizards said it was."
    Active Characters

  4. - Top - End - #394
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    As the sound echoes through the cave, Nala tries not to jump with surprise. That has to be something significant. She tries to withhold the anticipation and worry from her face and instead grits her teeth. They are stepping into the dangerous unknown. Letís see how much of our knowledge holds. She follows the others, looking back once over her shoulder.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Derjuin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Land of Maps and Treasure
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Eyes widening with excitement, Vrishchika follows Siel into the cave with an almost happy gait. Though she knew caution had to be taken, an eagerness was taking over. She mumbles something under her breath about "...the sorts of things she wrote in her diary". As the cave's darkness starts to envelop the group, a small spider emerges from her pack, placing itself squarely on her shoulder. Figures a cave would draw you back out from your hiding place.

  6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    You venture into the cave and swiftly the sounds of the forest dim and are replaced by the eerie silence of the cavern, only broken by the occasional drop of water. As you approach the bit where the cave takes a turn to the left, the light levels drop almost to darkness and around the corner is only darkness. Vrishchika and Tralkor can see in darkness, but Nala will have to light her lantern in order to be able to see. Siel's superior eyesight in low light conditions makes that she can see just fine with Nala's lantern light without asking her to point it here or there.

    As you round the corner to the left, about 40 feet deep in the cave, you see it turns right again a mere 15 feet further. There is still nothing special to see here, and the silence persists. The cave looks completely natural and actually comfortably cool, albeit a bit damp. You do notice that human-like hands have manipulated the floor of the cave: The most extreme irregularities have been leveled.

    Turning the corner to the right, you notice that it looks like the cave ends 40, maybe 50 feet ahead of you. At the end of the cave, there is a pool of water. It seems black under these light conditions, but when you get close with the lantern, you see that it is transparent and that the bottom of the pool disappears just two feet out of the edge.

    The first one to turn his attention away from the water, in the direction whence you came, notices something odd. At the beginning of this corridor there's a closed metal gate in the wall, 5 feet above the ground, blocking a hole or a passageway. An odd place for such a feature. As you approach it to investigate you find the gate is shutting a hole, 6 feet wide, high and deep. It occurs to you that you shut this gate with the Darkness magic on the sphere.

    Confined in this small place is something odd. A pretty much 4 feet cube thing made of.....of what exactly? While it is obviously a cube, it also appears to be somewhat amorphous. As you observe it, it randomly changes shape a bit, but remains a cube. As it moves and changes shape, it makes the weirdest sound. It's like....emptying a bowl of porridge on a wooden table. Kind of. Perhaps it even lives?

    All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you can see, I am assuming Nala will light her lantern. I did not want to waste a few days of posting discussing and posting about that. However, should you insist on NOT doing this, then let me know and read the above as what Tralkor and Vrishchika see, and Nala and Siel hear .

    Those that think they have the knowledge skills (arcana, dungeoneering and nature might give useful results) to perhaps know something about this....thing, are free to roll and see what they know.


    Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Yes, yes...laugh at my inferior drawing skills.

    Done?

    Ok . Just remember when someone is this crappy at drawing, doing such a thing takes longer than normal .


    The cave is in most places 10 feet high and wide.

    Avatar by Recaiden

  7. - Top - End - #397
    Orc in the Playground
     
    maestrodesigns's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    While looking into the hole, Tralkor mumbles "...now what in the ancestors name is this..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (nature) (1d20+13)[21]
    Active Characters

  8. - Top - End - #398
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala lights her lantern and follows slowly behind the other three.

    When she sees the cube, Nala wanders closer to it and takes a close look. What kind of thing is this?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for short post - getting internet is harder than expected right now.

    Knowledge history (I wonder why I invested in this, now that I think about it, since we're in such a foreign place. But it's worth a try, since that and geography is all I have.)(1d20+6)[21]
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Tralkor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is not a natural thing, you can tell that. Perhaps this is an Ooze, which you believe is an aberrated form of fungus. What it does and if it is dangerous you couldn't say.


    Nala:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am sorry, but knowledge history is not quite a helpful skill here. If you regret some skill/feat choices you made, or can't for the love of pony remember what made you make some decisions, I am always open to discuss options for retraining things.

    The PHBII has extensive rules for it. There are quite a few restricitons in there, though, but I don't care much for them. The important thing is that you have fun with the character and that changes you make, make sense (and that you don't redo your character every other level).


    You stand there looking at the thing for a while. It doesn't change it's 'just sitting there, being amorphously square' behaviour. It is not hostile as far as you can tell.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Derjuin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Land of Maps and Treasure
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Vrishchika persists at the pool for just a minute, wondering if they're going to need to swim to get to where they want to go. She gives the depths a good look before moving back with Tralkor and Nala and peers into the caged area, feeling the spirit sharing her body move about. It whispers words only she can hear into her ears, as if sharing some kind of knowledge with her.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Naberius's Skills allows me to make untrained skill checks with two skills (I picked Know: Dungeon and Know: Architecture when binding him), so I'll make a Kn:Dun and a Know: Arcana check.

    (1d20+6)[22] Dungeoneering
    (1d20+11)[27] Arcana

  11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Vrishchika:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The voice tells you the following:

    This is an Ooze. Be careful, 'tis a mindless glutton, but it seems safe because if he wanted he would have escaped that chamber, it can squeeze through small holes. Now, if you end up fighting it, it will strike you, paralyse you and swiftly dissolve you.

    But, the voice is not done yet:

    Now, tell your friends about this in a most elaborate manner. You, we, are the specialist...lecture them extensively, impress them!
    Avatar by Recaiden

  12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Derjuin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Land of Maps and Treasure
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nodding and standing back a step, Vrishchika smiles before clearing her throat and sharing what information she knows. "That is quadrilaterus amylaceonus, commonly known as a cube ooze," she begins, looking to her friends and putting emphasis on its common name. "These barely sentient creatures are dangerous to those without forewarning or knowledge of their 'tactics', though this one seems tamed or magically compelled to resist its hunger. Being made up of what amounts to living pudding, they are able to squeeze through very tight spaces - for example, the gaps in the bars of the grate here - and strike " She gestures toward the ooze, though remaining at least five feet from it. "I assume they are motivated simply by hunger and survival - possibly not even the latter."

    "They are somewhat frightful in combat, despite being a literal box made up of ooze and leftover undigestible parts somehow made sentient - my belief is that magic somehow animates it. The ooze itself can dissolve things quite quickly - presumably, the bars are resistant, as is its holding cell - though skin and other organic materials are prone to melting as if by acid. And as if that were not enough, the slime covering the quadrilaterus amylaceonus is highly reactionary to living creatures - a touch can shock the nerves of its prey, leaving them paralysed and unable to resist being absorbed and digested, a fate I believe none of us wishes to experience firsthand."

    "The mating and reproductive cycles of the quadrilaterus amylaceonus are its most interesting - " She cuts herself off before going any further, suddenly feeling satisfied with her explanation. "And that is all I know about the thing that is useful to us."

  13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel listens to Vrishchika with some interest, although she's more interested in how the not-quite-fully-human (how else would she have that odd eye?) works than what the apparently 'defanged' threat of the ooze cube was.

    "It's probably some kind of guardian that would have attacked us if you hadn't activated the orb," Siel muses, not seeming particularly thrilled with the situation. "So, then, are we going for a swim?"

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just went back and read a good chunk of the IC and OOC threads looking for the sadness reports I got before. It's always a cool experience to read over what you've played through in a PbP, I think.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Speaking of which:

    Vrishchika's speech, or lecture was kind of weird. You have never before seen her so talkative. And then there is this other thing. You sensed in her something you have only sensed in pregnant women before, albeit a bit different. When a woman is pregnant, there is a second very rudimentary stream of emotions entwined with hers. In Vrishchika's case, you can also detect a second presence. However, this presence is strong.

    This set of emotions is hard to assess, however. It is either very proud and powerful, void of fear and beyond sadness or it is too 'alien' or strong for you to fathom. Or both, of course.

    As you adress the well of knowledge you possess through recalling of suffering, you start to believe this might have something to do with the strange 'pact magic' you have seen her perform.

    (1d20+9)[26]

    Also, the bardic knowledge modifier on your sheet is one too low, I think. (6+int+2(synergy)?)
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2012-06-17 at 05:24 AM.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, the bonus is Bard level + Int mod (1) + 2 (synergy from 5 ranks in K(History), I'd forgotten to increase my level for that calculation when we went up to 6th.

    Also: yay secret knowledge! Kind of.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  16. - Top - End - #406
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala studies the thing without a hint of understanding until Vrishchika gives her explanation. What kind of magic could animate such a strange and dangerous creature as this? She frowns at it. Those bars had better hold. But if the ooze could squeeze through, why isnít it doing so? She resists the impulse to prod it with her spear. Instead she backs up, not turning away from it until sheís twenty feet away. She walks over to the water. Although she doesnít voice her suspicions aloud in such company, she doesnít exactly trust something so innocent looking yet surrounded by some awful magical monster.

    She dips the butt of her spear into the water and swirls it around. Then she waits a minute. If nothing happens, she kneels down and tests it with her free hand. If nothing happens, she stands up and wipes her hand dry with a shrug. "Letís light up this pool first." She swings the lantern close over the water and peers downward.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    You inspect the water more thoroughly and come to a few conclusions. First of all, there appears to be no bloodthirsty carnivore lurking there to ambush you. It also looks like the water follows the shape of the cave, meaning this is an elongated pool in a left to right direction. It deepens swiftly and you cannot tell anything beyond that it looks to be continuing 'below ground' where the water hits the easternmost cave wall. Also, the water is very cold.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  18. - Top - End - #408
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala frowns at the water. She doesn't like what she can see, or, rather, what she can't. But there's only one way to find out.

    "I need some rope," she tells the group. "And I need one of you to use your magic to make..." she pauses to search around the floor of the cave, "This rock glow. Then I'll go down a bit and see what's there. I can hold my breath for a good long while."

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does a climber's kit include rope? Or just pitons/etc?
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For 80 gp, it can contain 2 50ft hemp ropes if you want. It makes a lot of sense to me.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  20. - Top - End - #410
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Done. That does make a lot of sense. I'll just wait on a reply about the magic and see if anyone else wants to do something first.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  21. - Top - End - #411
    Orc in the Playground
     
    maestrodesigns's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Tralkor nods at Vrishchika's explanation. It sounds quite plausible at least. He takes one last intrigued look at the ooze-like critter, then turns and walks to the rest.

    While listening to Nala, he peers into the dark pool of water. The thought of diving in there and trying to find some other possible exit doesn't really appeal to him, but on the other hand... it could have been a lot worse.

    "Yeh... Swimming... Hope it won't get all too narrow down there... Don't have any more light magic though for today. Maybe one of the others does?" He looks around at the rest, realizing he still didn't really know his new companions.

    "I wonder though... Anyone hoping to enter this grand city... Do they all need to enter some damp ooze-filled cave, and take a dive into some kind of dark and cold pool of water? If so, I suppose they don't have all too many people visiting." Tralkor chuckles somewhat, then looks around in the cave some more and mumbles (mostly to himself). "I really ... kinda ... expect some other kind of entrance... This can't be it..."
    Last edited by maestrodesigns; 2012-06-19 at 03:10 PM.
    Active Characters

  22. - Top - End - #412
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    "Thereís still another way," Nala mutters. "Even if I donít like it." She sets her pack down and strips out of her chainmail. The shirt underneath is stained a filthy brown and yellow from months of wear with minimal cleaning. She sits down and takes off her boots and socks as well, revealing very pale feet, which have taken more the shape of the boot, than the boot in the shape of her feet. Afterwards, she pulls out two long lengths of rope from the pack, ties one to the other, and loops one end about her waist in a tight knot that she can still breathe under. Only then does she stand up. She hands the far end of the rope coils to Tralkor. "If Iím not up in three minutes, haul me out." To Vrishchika she hands her lantern. "Douse it when I tell you. I need to let my eyes adjust to the dark. If something goes wrong, or you hear me give a shout, light it. Iím helpless without it."

    She treads carefully over to the pool and sits down with her legs in it. The water is freezing against her skin and she withholds a shiver. "Douse the light."

    Nala has no gods to pray to. But for a moment, sitting there in the dark, taking long, slow, deep breaths and rubbing her hands together for warmth, above a mysterious pool in a strange cave hidden in an alien land, she almost wishes for a moment that she does. After her eyes adjusted as much as they are able, she says in a very quiet voice that still sounds too loud, "Alright, Iím going in. Remember, three minutes." She pushes off and slides down into the water feet first, eyes wide open to see what little there might be to see.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala:

    Spoiler
    Show
    The water is very Dark, Nala. You are relying on your hands and feet to explore your surroundings. You find out that this pool is basically a tunnel at a steep (30 degrees) angle downwards. After about 15 feet, it stops heading downwards and goes straight ahead. In the distance (it is hard to gauge how far) you see light. After again 10 feet, the tunnel rises up again and the light comes closer. Maybe 40, 50 feet after entering the water, the tunnel floor allows you to climb out again. There's light here. Not daylight, but a few small sources of light. Candles, perhaps.

    Do you climb out, or head back to report?
    Avatar by Recaiden

  24. - Top - End - #414
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    DM:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Nala approaches the end of the tunnel and pauses before reaching the surface to see if there might be any movement beyond. Then she raises her head out of the water and cautiously takes a look around the new cavern, ready to tug on the rope at the slighest sign of danger.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is all safe and fine, so I took the liberty of deciding that you will have a decent look around (that saves a few days of posting back and forth).


    You emerge from the water and find yourself in a dimly lit room, perhaps 40 by 40 feet. Every 10 feet there is a small torch attached to the wall, providing just enough light to discern colours. This room is higher than the cave you came through. 30 feet high, perhaps. The walls are dotted with rectangular openings, 1 feet high and about 4 long. Each wall has maybe 20 rows of these holes, from floor to roof, each row 8 cavities long. In the room there are five big walls from floor to ceiling that also feature these big slits. They effectively divide this big room into six hallways, a bit like giant bookshelves in a large library or an archive. You notice that in each slit, there is something wrapped in cloth stored. Or...someone! Looks like you have found the 'graveyard'. Hundreds, if not thousands, of souls rest here.

    Between the third and fourth wall, towards the far end of the room, you notice something disturbing. Well, as far as these catacombs were not already disturbing. A big throne hewn out of stone, intricately ornamented with spider web patterns, provides a seat for a motionless being. From your side of the room, it looks like he is not doing well. Judging by the way his body is positioned, you'd say he is dead. The flaps of skin hanging from his limbs and the bone that's exposed here and there confirm this. He is, or was, certainly humanoid and is clad in torn rags.

    That is not the only motionless being here, though. In the far North-East corner there is a small mini-cave, only two feet deep and wide and four feet high. In it, a man with long brown hair hangs chained to the wall by his wrists. His head faces down and he does not move. He is clad in nothing but a loin cloth and really, really filthy. This man hasn't washed up in....months at least. Maybe he is dead. Can't really tell. He is still and skinny, but also appears quite muscular.

    Map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You climb out of the water and advance to the red X and experience what I wrote above. It is almost time to start heading back, unless you fancy an ogre dragging you through the water.



    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2012-06-22 at 10:57 AM.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  26. - Top - End - #416
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nala stares around the room, mouth falling for a moment open. The general creepiness makes her skin crawl, but she canít stop staring at the huge stone throne. She gets a bad feeling about the dead thing sitting in it. She takes a slow, quiet step forward, and the tail of the rope looped around her waist drags along the ground. Thatís right. If she lingers, she will have to suffer a painful drag back through that underwater tunnel, to no fault but her own.

    So she tears her eyes away from the sight and dives back into the deep, rather facing the cold water than the stored dead.

    Nala reappears from the water after a few minutes. Her face is pale - from cold or from what lies on the other side?

    "It's just a tunnel. We can get through fairly easily. But," she adds in a tense voice, "I've found the graveyard."

    She repacks the rope, and wraps her pack, lamp, armor and boots in a sheet of canvas produced from her pack beforehand. "You need to see this." She eyes the cold water with distaste, but makes herself climb back in.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel nods, climbing down into the water herself, seeming slightly more energetic than she normally is.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  28. - Top - End - #418
    Orc in the Playground
     
    maestrodesigns's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Tralkor shrugs. Graveyards didn't bother him. Death was simply the next phase in existence, after life ceased to be. His connection with the ancestors themselves assured him that the afterlife wasn't something to be afraid of.

    "Righto. I guess it's time for a dive then. I'll see you guys on the other side." He plunges into the water, and after a few seconds his head surfaces again with a dumb grin on it. "I'll do my best not to wake 'm up yet. Cheerio." His head disappears again as he swims to the other side. During the swim, his respect of Nala grows once more. How she mustered the courage and managed to navigate down here while not being able to see a damn thing was a mystery to him. He was just glad his vision was accustomed to the deep darkness down here.
    Active Characters

  29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is just a repost of the spoilered text I made for Nala


    You find out that this pool is basically a tunnel at a steep (30 degrees) angle downwards. After about 15 feet, it stops heading downwards and goes straight ahead. In the distance (it is hard to gauge how far) you see light. After again 10 feet, the tunnel rises up again and the light comes closer. Maybe 40, 50 feet after entering the water, the tunnel floor allows you to climb out again. There's light here. Not daylight, but a few small sources of light. Candles, perhaps.

    You emerge from the water and find yourself in a dimly lit room, perhaps 40 by 40 feet. Every 10 feet there is a small torch attached to the wall, providing just enough light to discern colours. This room is higher than the cave you came through. 30 feet high, perhaps. The walls are dotted with rectangular openings, 1 feet high and about 4 long. Each wall has maybe 20 rows of these holes, from floor to roof, each row 8 cavities long. In the room there are five big walls from floor to ceiling that also feature these big slits. They effectively divide this big room into six hallways, a bit like giant bookshelves in a large library or an archive. You notice that in each slit, there is something wrapped in cloth stored. Or...someone! Looks like you have found the 'graveyard'. Hundreds, if not thousands, of souls rest here.

    Between the third and fourth wall, towards the far end of the room, you notice something disturbing. Well, as far as these catacombs were not already disturbing. A big throne hewn out of stone, intricately ornamented with spider web patterns, provides a seat for a motionless being. From your side of the room, it looks like he is not doing well. Judging by the way his body is positioned, you'd say he is dead. The flaps of skin hanging from his limbs and the bone that's exposed here and there confirm this. He is, or was, certainly humanoid and is clad in torn rags.

    That is not the only motionless being here, though. In the far North-East corner there is a small mini-cave, only two feet deep and wide and four feet high. In it, a man with long brown hair hangs chained to the wall by his wrists. His head faces down and he does not move. He is clad in nothing but a loin cloth and really, really filthy. This man hasn't washed up in....months at least. Maybe he is dead. Can't really tell. He is still and skinny, but also appears quite muscular.

    Map:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You climb out of the water and advance to the red X and experience what I wrote above.


    Avatar by Recaiden

  30. - Top - End - #420
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Once everyone is on the other side, Nala indicates without speaking down the hall, in the direction of the two motionless humanoids Ė the dead on the throne and the maybe (?) dead one on the wall . Then she quickly dries herself and puts on her armor and boots. Having her armor on seems to have returned some of her courage, and once she straightens back up with her pack and spear she takes another full look around the room, especially in the direction of the humanoids.

    Staying a good distance away from the parallel walls with the cavities in it, she slowly walks in the direction of the man chained to the wall, trying not to make any noise that would echo around in the huge cavern. She glances back once to see if anyone follows.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •