Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 578

Thread: Gai-len [IC]

  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel considers the situation for a moment. There is another option for you to take, actually. The fey says, a slight smile coming to her face. I could show you a portal, of sorts-a pathway to far-away land. It is, like this one, inhabited by orcs and others of their kind-which seem to be your enemies-but far more densely so. There are...side effects, however, of using the portal if you are not a Fey, although even I am not entirely aware of what they are. She says.

    Healing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Velethi: (1d8+5)[12]
    Nala: (1d8+5)[8]
    (If they agree to it, I haven't heard anything from them about it.)
    Jakkun: (1d8+5)[6]
    Vrishchika: (1d8+5)[10]
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Jakkun accepts Siel's healing with suspicion, and only after the others have done so first.

    "Side effects... not something that I'd particularly want to attempt but I guess I don't want to be left behind. And I suppose we're like as not to die in this land any other way. Hells be damned, we're likely to die on the other side of the portal too.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    “A pathway to a far-away land?” Nala echoes as she thinks. “A portal that leads to another place still on this continent?" The concept seems difficult for her to fully accept and she struggles to reason it out. "Magic," she eventually shrugs dismissively. "But," she admits, "Jakkun’s right. We have no guarantees of survival no matter what we do. A denser population will increase our risk for discovery and capture, but it at least means food. And supplies. Now, about those side-effects. Do you have any reason to suspect that they would be fatal? Or crippling? Do you know why only Fey can use them safely? I’m not saying for certain that we should jump right in, but it’s certainly worth checking out.”
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    WhiteWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Velethi lifts an eyebrow at the mention of the portal. "Is it too much to hope for that these side effects are of the 'gives magic-shooting eyes' kind?"

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Derjuin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Land of Maps and Treasure
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Vrishchika

    Vrishchika eyes the fey warily now, carefully considering the possibility of cahoots. "I'll be more inclined to investigate this portal if you give me a moment to...prepare, something." She walks a little away from the group, and begins drawing something in the dirt.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Creating a seal to summon and bind Malphas - DC 15

    (1d20+4)[24] Binding check

    It takes 1 minute to make the seal, and 1 minute to make a pact with Malphas. I draw the seal with my finger, and he has no special requirements.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Vrishchika walks away a bit and starts drawing in the sands with her finger. As you are watching her with perhaps some curiosity you hear the children's laughter you heard upon entering the oasis again, but then much closer. It is swiftly increasing in volume untill it suddenly dies out.

    Och, my child. If you want to learn how to shoot magic from your eyes, ask the lady over there. A fairly small creature has appeared from the bushes and stands next to Siel, while pointing at Vrishchika. She deploys an art I haven't seen in use in aeons....interesting.... As you turn around you have a hard time to decide whether you would call this creature very weird or very friendly. It certainly has the looks of both. It walks on two legs, has two arms and a head. And two leathery, but transparant wings. His skin is like that of an amphibian and he has the looks of a big, humanoid, toad. His voice is somewhat belching, yet soft, friendly and bears the tremble belonging to a man of age.

    The toad-man folds his arms behind his back and stares at Vrishchika. When he notices people are glaring at him he points at Vrischika again. Look!

    Vrishchika is just about done fidgeting with the sand as you see seven or eight white doves crawl out of the sand. Did she just dig out a dove's nest, or...?. The doves proceed to sit on her outstretched arms and she whispers a word to them after which she brings her hands together swiftly for a loud clap. The doves fly up and crash into one another and disappear with a 'puff'. Many white feathers sink back to the ground and start forming into the body of an elf. His skin is as pale as Siel's, contrasted by his black feathery hair, black eyes and black clothing. His eyes are fixed on Vrishchika and it seems he does not even notice you. They start to briefly converse in a language you don't know, after which he disappears.

    As the elf is there strange thoughts invade your minds. -You know, for a dwarf, Jakkun looks pretty good... -Who is that toad guy? He is weird, but really nice. He could make for a good husband... are just some examples.

    As the elf disappears, Vrishchika turns back to you again. Before you can comment on the weird things that have happened, the toad speaks. Yesss....yessss....lovely. Just lovely.

    Siel
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know the creature that just appeared. He is a fey that is old....very old. There is not much hierarchy among fey, but he is in general respected for his knowledge, wisdom and experience. He is helpful and inquisitive and he was all over you when he found out about your grief-taking abilities. If there is a head-honcho here, it would be him.


    Siel, Siel....you have made friends and haven't shown them to us yet? Visitors from the human lands, even. Such a rare sight. Expedition you say? To what purpose, hummm? And you wish to use the portal, hummm?


    The toad-man smiles broadly. Och, my manners....I apologize. My name is Froad. Froad sits down and fetches some dust from his belt pouch. He belches a bit as he tosses it into the space between you. A big cloth sheet appears with a variety of fruits and vegetables on it, as well as a large plate full of big, dead, grasshopper-looking insects. He opens his mouth and grabs a pair of the grasshoppers with his tongue as he gestures to you, insisitng you sit down. Eat, recover, and help me, by telling your story, helping you. He smiles....sort of.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Jakkun preens for a moment before realising the voice was in his head before staring at the others warily, both trying to discern where the voice came from as well as if any of the others noticed what he had been doing.

    At the fey's invitation he almost sits before realising that this is yet another strange creature offering friendship and help at no obvious immediate cost.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Throughout this experience Nala glances back and forth between this mysterious magical walking-talking-winged-toad-man to Vrishchika, a comrade who even now exercises powers that Nala could not even begin to identify or understand. Shaking the creepy feeling of overhearing random thoughts, she throws her hands up in the air in a gesture of surrender. “Casters!” She declares, not directly addressing anyone present, “I give up. And I’ll pass on those magic eyeballs of yours too.”

    She uses the interjection to weigh her options to Froad’s invitation and decides to accept, sitting down near the edge of the sheet. She isn’t sure whether she was doing it for the sake of these strange creatures or for her comrades, but one of them has to make a show of reasonable fearlessness or the situation could quickly degenerate into hostilities. Without any previous or current sign that would hint that they were in danger, it is hard to project more than a rudimentary suspicion. Although after years of being told to mistrust non-humanoids, that most basic feeling is often the hardest to shake.

    She takes one of the more recognizable fruits and inspects it closely while she tries to better explain their situation. “It sounds like you’ve heard of the human lands; we do, in fact, come from there. The human lands have a policy of sending out expeditions to these lands,” she refrains from mentioning the ‘monster/monstrous’ label that is often associated with it, “in order to make settlements and find others like us.” Again, withholding the aggressive disruption orders they had been given. “However, the natives here – like those orcs who captured us – do not like us humanoids. All of these expeditions are in danger from them.” That is about as delicate as she can put it. “We were members of a…larger expedition. We fell under attack. Most of us did not make it. We were captured and eventually escaped.” She summarizes shortly and with hopefully hidden discomfort. “Anything else?” She asks the rest of the party, hoping they had caught her tactical omissions.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Froad seems happy with some of the expedition sitting down. He points at a brown/yellow coloured fruit and says: That is a fruit that fills you up like a banana, but has the nutritional value of an orange. Too bad we can not grow banana here.

    He proceeds by answering Nala. Expedition, yessss...hostility, humm? Tell me, how would your people react to orcs crossing the big ocean? He breaks off a bit of cabbage and starts sucking on it. Sjome mjight claim your endjeavours here are acts of war, no? He puts down the cabbage. Was not the ancient agreement that you would stay there, and they would live here? He points at the fruits again. Please do sample the strawberries....they only exist here because of my magics, I would hate to see them go to waste.

    Please, don't get me wrong. I am neutral in this matter. I am just observing. And I observe you are here to oppose the orcs and that you may have a wish to use our portals, no? He looks at you with a serious look in his eyes. You do realize that by using the portal you would volunteer to become a friend of us, the fey, whether you want to or not?

    Froad rests a bit before continuing. It is all the same to me. There are orcs here to oppose...and plenty giants, oofh! I do not mind, I will just be observing.

    What are your wishes?
    Avatar by Recaiden

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel seats herself quickly, crossing her legs and observing the new arrivals in the oasis. After a few moments, she picked a few fruits and ate, content to observe, for now. The way they responded to Froad's questioning could shed some more light on how their minds worked...
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala knows exactly what her wishes are, but isn't about to share it with this prying creature. Instead she addresses another part of his speech. “An act of war? Well…I don’t think I can deny that perspective to those that wish it. I personally do not want to start a war. It would be messy and risky, to say the least. There’s just so many of them. However, we have explicit orders and I’m sure there are good reasons behind them. Or all these lives trained for it would be wasted.” She shrugs a bit. “I don’t feel knowledgeable enough to accurately guess at them.

    “Now, that portal. I do not wish to be your enemy; however I do wish to know about the nature of this friendship you speak of. If I were sure about it…I probably wouldn’t object, but I do not know the risks such an alliance would bring us. Does this ‘friendship’ mean the same thing to you as it does to us? What obligations does ‘friendship’ entail? Are there any compulsions,”
    she thinks briefly about the possibility of magical compulsion, “that will come with this? Since you implied that the friendship would happen the moment we step through the portal, my suspicion is that there is some obligation involved and one that cannot be shaken off. While I am not opposed to using the portal, I’m not willing to dive into it without knowledge. I hope you can understand that.”
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Those that sample the food feel re-invigorated. This food is apparently more than just nutritional.

    All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You gain 3d8 hit points if you eat from the meal. While you do not know your current hp total, this puts you pretty much close to your total hp, especially after Siel healed you.


    You are right, of course, young lady. And cautious, which is never wrong. Act of war sounds a bit heavy, I agree. Could we agree on calling it a provocation? He reaches for a stash of red fruits. Hmmm...these strawberries...

    It is funny you should mention compulsions, I guess this is what it is all about. Experience has taught us that those that used the portal once were more likely to be subject to compulsion effects created by fey... and only by fey. I don't know why, I guess it is the way the ancient elders wanted it. Legends tell that those that use the portals twice lose the resistance against fey compulsions completely. There are no records of non-fey using the portal three times that I know of.

    This sounds fairly heavy, but please do believe me when I say that fey are good-hearted beings. The worst that could happen to you is a comical prank....unless you decide to oppose us, or mother nature, of course.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Nala thinks closely over these compulsions. It certainly sounds harmless, considering that they have no quarrel with the fey and no sign of dislike from them. She would have to take Froad at his word about their good intentions. While being subjected to a comical prank (and what would be comical to a fey?) does not appeal to her, it is a relief to hear that the compulsion will not be impossible to resist if they only use the portal once. But, she notes to herself, under no circumstances will there be a second time.

    “I don’t think that us opposing you or…nature…will be much of an issue. I think we should start considering this plan in earnest,” she suggests to the rest of the party. “Unless anyone has strong reservations about it.” Back to Froad she asks, “Can you tell us anything more about this land beyond the portal?”
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Froad nods. Yes, I can. Actually, this portal connects to multiple places and I can allow you passage to three of them. That leaves you with four options, I guess.

    Froad starts drawing with his finger in the sand. My drawing is not so good. Please bear with me. This be a schematic drawing of this continent.

    Froad marks an X on the centre left.
    Hereabouts there is grasslands, desert and woodlands. It is not all as barren as what you have seen so far. You will find wildlife here, several karavan routes and some settlements. Mostly goblinoids live in these parts, but others do as well. Their ties to the main orc capitals are fairly strong, and they are the link between the orc lands and the resources found in the south. Also, a lot of tribes of giants of all sorts live here. Most of the ogres are employed by the orcs to protect their karavans.

    Far to the south lie the jungles. Lots of wildlife there and I would say the place is perilous. It is a popular travel destination for dragon-spotters. Dragons of all types live there, and also many dragonkin, such as kobolds. He draws an X with a circle on the bottom part of the map and looks intently at you. You do know what kobolds and goblins are, hum? Anyway, the ties between the jungle region and the orc capitals are very weak. Many precious ores and gems are found here and since orcs are somewhat scared of the forests and its perils, they trade with the dragonkin and let them be. Perhaps that is the best place to go if you do not want to be found. By orcs.

    Far to the east lie the fertile grasslands that the orcs control. Many a farm you will find, little wilderness. Most large orc cities are in this region. You will find orcs, goblins, kobolds and so on here and also some giants. Lesser giants, though. Not the really big ones. This nation is highly organized and you will run into military patrols and law enforcement very regularly. This is the best place to go if you want to be found. By orcs. I guess I would advice against going here, but you lot seem well trained, perhaps you can cope.

    Finally, way in the north lie huge mountain ranges which feature boreal forests and alpine regions. Many many wildlife here. Good fishing as well, I hear. It is usually very cold and most humanoids avoid the place. Bands of barbarians, that's how the orcs call them, live here in a loosely-knit society. As far as I can tell, they do not have ties with the orcs. The orcs let them have their warmth-forsaken lands and the barbarians allow the orcs to harvest the fluids they have become so dependent on during the past 50 years. This may be the safest place to go, provided you can handle the cold.

    There are many more regions, but I cannot allow you passage to those. Either to protect you, or to protect ourselves.
    Froad smiles. Does that answer your question?
    Avatar by Recaiden

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Derjuin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Land of Maps and Treasure
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Vrishchika

    Vrishchika turns back to the group, just in time to have the apparent regions of the continent explained to the group by the frog-man. In a moment of capriciousness and creeping paranoia that she can't seem to shake, though, she changes her mind about portals. "Actually, I would prefer if we didn't go through any portals that made us more susceptible to charms and the like. West, here, wherever we are for me."

    Though her voice doesn't tremble a bit, her eyes seem to avoid contact with the others when she speaks.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel nods, placing her hands together under her chin. Well, then it seems like you've decided to stay here-any plans, then, for how you'll be going about this settlement-establishing that you've been sent here to do? The fey asks, curious. If they had been part of a larger expedition, perhaps they could have done so, but with only 4 or so of them remaining there was no hope of founding any sort of long-term village, especially with the constant danger of orcs and their allies.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    “Well, find more of us, of course,” Nala declares. “Another excellent reason to stay here in the west – it’s more likely another expedition would have landed here than across the continent.” The idea of passing though the portals certainly intrigues her, but the general discomfort that she and the others share makes it a bit too difficult to follow through with. But she won’t forget about them, in case need arises. “If there are any expeditions around, we might be able to find them by looking for clues. Like groups of orcs or other creatures that are…” she was going to add 'already disrupted' but instead finishes with, “already on the alert for people like us. It's going to be difficult to achieve anything significant for a while, especially considering our significant loss of comrades, equipment, skills, knowledge, manpower...we are particularly vulnerable. We shouldn't try anything too ambitious too early. Maybe we should just start with getting the lay of the land." She is reluctant to abandon this safe oasis so soon before they even have a plan or destination.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Very well, Froad smiles, you are very welcome to stay here in the oasis for a while, if you please to do so. There are a few ground rules, though. I hope you understand

    Froad makes a wide gesture gesture with his arm, as if he tries to point at the oasis as a whole. We are proud of this place and like to preserve it. So we will not allow you to make permanent structures or harvest living plant material for other things than food...and please do not slay and butcher more than one animal per week. Also, please don't pee and ehhh.... you know, in the water. Lastly, should an orc karavan pass, no problems and conflict should come from it.

    You are welcome to stay for two weeks. I expect you to have a plan by then. If not, chances are our hospitality will have to be rewarded with some form of compensation.
    Froad stands up. How does that sound?
    Avatar by Recaiden

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    “Your offer sounds both generous and reasonable,” Nala nods, not wanting to offend their host, but she immediately makes a mental note to be ready to leave not a minute later than the two week mark. Who knows what compensation the fey would expect from them? And that comment about the caravans…was it merely saying that the caravans wouldn’t cause trouble around here, or was it a hint not to go messing with them using this oasis as a base? Not that she is planning anything right now but…maybe she’s just reading too much into what he is saying.

    Already she’s thinking of how to manage their supplies. If they can catch two animals – maybe those large river cows – it would be more than what they need for two weeks, and then they can preserve and carry the remainder. But meat does require fire, and that would definitely be worth checking with these nature-conscious fey. “One last thing: your offer of catching meat leads me to assume a small, controlled fire for cooking won’t be out of place? And the necessary harvesting of wood – deadwood and not living – would be understood?”
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    I can provide you with food, but that will be vegetables, insects and fruits. If you want meat, you can cook it using dead wood, or magic. If you use wood to heat stones and then bury the stones with the meat for two hours, it will cook with a minimum wood expenditure.

    Froad had noticed Nala's eyes glancing past the hippo's a short moment.
    I do hope you do not plan on feeding on meat for two weeks?
    Froad's face twists with the thought alone. With two animals I meant two small herbivores, like these funny deer that visit this place. He holds his hand up as to indicate how large those deer are: not larger than a shepherd dog. That would provide you with perhaps 15 pounds of meat....that is.... a quarter of a pound a day for each of you. I must admit that I would appreciate if you could do with half that amount. Or do your bodies require more meat?

    Wildlife is fairly sparse here.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Derjuin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Land of Maps and Treasure
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Vrishchika

    "Your terms are acceptable; thank you for your generosity," Vrishchika says awkwardly, unused to such shows of hospitality. A sort of half-smile finds its way to her face as she sits down. "Don't worry about me - I don't intend to eat any meat so long as we have some vegetables or fruit on hand." She finishes and grabs a few of the red berries, popping one into her mouth, careful not to show too much of her teeth or tongue.

    "I wouldn't recommend tangling with the hippopotamuses in any situation. They're rather brutal creatures, even by nature's standards, if I remember correctly." she quietly adds to Froad's request.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2011-07-27 at 05:04 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Yes, indeed. And they fling poo with their tails. Froad smiles and then his face straightens as he thinks. I am not sure which property I find worse.

    I am pleasantly surprised to learn that you value the life of animals and that you have, apparently, invested time to learn about nature.
    Froad says while adressing Vrishchika. Well, I will leave the dinner to you. Feel free to sleep in the bushes, on the beach or in the trees. I assure you, you will be safe. Froad gets ready to leave. Unless you have any pressing questions?

    He turns to Siel. I trust you will guide and advice our new friends during their stay in the oasis?
    Avatar by Recaiden

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel nods. I'll be staying with them to gather information anyways, so I'll be there f they have any more questions. She says, thoughtfully chewing one of the magical fruits.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Several days pass in which you recover to full strength. You have no nasty encounters with the local wildlife and manage to shoot two small deer. Froad has even offered to cast a preserving enchantment on the meat. He would prefer that none of it goes bad and is wasted. You also find out that there are more Fey living here. Most of them are shy and avoid you, but you have had a few conversations with a few inquisitive sprites. The past few days have had an air of peace and rest which you did not associate with this continent before you came here.

    You also learn a great deal about the lands you are currently in. You are, more or less, on the border of what could be called 'civilized lands'. Towards the west is the ocean, where you came from, and about 35 miles to the east start the first small goblinoid settlements. You learn that the lands are more vegetated where the goblinoids live. The soils are more fertile and there is more rain.

    The area Siel and the other Fey are familiar with is roughly a thousand square miles and contains at least 7 other oases like this one. Apparently some of the Fey in these oases keep in close contact (not Siel, per se...she is, although Fey, somewhat of an outsider to them: A very welcome outsider, though). The majority of these oases is frequented by Orc karavans. You learn that this oasis sees at least two karavans each moon cycle. The Fey do not seem to mind the visits by the karavans. Apparently the Orcs behave in a respectful manner and the Fey feel an obligation to share the resources of their homes.

    On the fifth day, Siel wakes you in the morning. She holds her finger over her mouth and then points, to urge you to be silent and follow her. She brings you to a hiding place near the water and looks and nods.

    You see (and hear) a group of twenty men on the shore of the lake, some 30 meters away. Scattered around them are five, seven...no, maybe ten camels drinking water, chewing on leaves or just staring around blankly. Next to the camels are big bags, such as one might use on a pack mule, filled with goods. The men are clearly Orcs. A tad bigger than you are...muscular, but not as bad as the stories made you believe. Green, is what you've been told, but not that green. Some are brownish in skin color and some quite pale. They all wear robes that cover much of the body, probably to protect them from the sun, and a scimitar-like sword. They chat, have a laugh, eat some or are resting.

    Two of the orcs are hauling quite a large container full of water away from the lake to a second group of persons. These guys are fairly huge. Nine, maybe ten feet long and terribly strong, by the looks of it. They carry no protection from the sun, but instead a chain armor and a variety of large, mean looking weapons. Their skins are strongly tanned and adorned with tufts of hair here and there. They are looking, in addition to daft, very happy with the water that is being brought. Are they being spoiled, or are they just not keen on entering the water?

    Orcs, Orges....and camels Siel whispers.

    Nala
    Spoiler
    Show
    I will draw you your map later, I hope this info suffices for now.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    I fashioned two maps for you. They are very basic, mostly because there are not much real features (like cities) involved.

    Map 1 is a map of the surroundings, covering the ~1000 square miles I mentioned.

    Map 2 is a larger scale map, covering all the area you have learned about so far.

    (do note the scale, upper left corner)
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2011-08-02 at 05:12 PM.
    Avatar by Recaiden

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Camels, Nala thinks. Now that would be nice for desert travel. They look strong and hardy. Perhaps they should consider getting one if they plan on doing a lot of walking. Pack animal, riding animal, shelter in a sandstorm, warmth at night, emergency food, numerous uses to consider. But it might give them away if they need to hide suddenly. And they'd need to feed and water it. Worth thinking about, though. She remains perfectly still in Siel’s hiding place, not wanting to be spotted by the caravan members. They are too far outnumbered to stand a chance in combat if discovered, and she didn’t think the apparent safety and hospitality of the oasis would apply to the orc caravans. But just from watching them she can learn a lot about desert survival. Something tells her they’re going to see a lot of it in the near future.

    The ogres, though, really catch her attention. Huge and formidable, they would be quite a challenge to encounter. She doesn’t want to cross paths with many of them. But it doesn’t look like they are quite capable of noticing their hiding place, in fact, they appear somewhat stupid. She watches them carefully. Why are the orcs fetching water for them? Are they of a higher rank in the caravan hierarchy? That's almost a ludicrous thought, but anything is possible with these creatures. Or is it simply to keep them satisfied so they won’t start using those huge weapons?

    She whispers back to Siel in a low voice, “What the matter with the ogres? And how long are they staying here?”
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PersonMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duitsland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    Siel turns to Nala, her gaze going from the caravan to the human slowly. The ogres fear open water, due to encounters with fey in the past. She explains with a shrug. Most of the time, the caravans stay for one day and then leave, but occasionally they stay for two before continuing. The fey adds, her head turning slightly to the side and examining the facial expression of the mortal, still curious about every display of emotion she can find.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

    Old-to-New table converter. Not mine, but useful enough to link in my signature.

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    If you decide to spy on the Orcs for their stay, you can do so without being noticed. As the sun sets, they pack up their stuff and prepare to get going. What strikes you most is that the Orcs were very well behaved. They did not make any mess, for example they fashioned a toilet area and covered and cleaned everything up.

    There was, at some point in the morning some drinking. Quite a bit even, but that is not uncommon seeing how they were all men. It ended up in a little bit of a brawly atmosphere, but not more than would have happened with a group of human men and for sure less than happens on a typical dwarven come-together. Some dice are rolled and cards are being shuffled. At some point one Orc gathers the attention of the others and starts telling stories and jokes. For those of you that understand Orc: the guy actually has a good sense of humor and gets away with an Ogre joke or two without the giants getting upset.

    They have metal cans and pots to make tea (or something) and food in, which show a remarkable degree of craftmanship. Some of the orcs eat with fork and knive. Two of the Orcs spend a good deal of time working on the cargo they are carrying: gems. They have grinding and drilling implements that work automatically...perhaps some form of magic? They are little cubic boxes with a grinding stone coming out that keeps spinning. Quite crafty.

    They sleep for the most of the afternoon and early evening, leaving only two guards that do not seem to be particularly weary.

    ((I am giving you an opportunity to act if you want while the Orcs are there. Tomorrow night I will carry on if nobody acts.))
    Avatar by Recaiden

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    TinselCat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    The expression that Siel can most often observe on Nala's face over the the day is an alternating combination of astonishment, puzzlement, curiosity and thought.

    She spends the time watching the orcs carefully from the bushes. Their behavior is surprisingly recognizable, and it is almost astonishing to hear humor from them. Their craftsmanship is just as fascinating. She very badly wants to get one of those boxlike drilling tools to hold and fiddle with and study, but she knows that it was not the right circumstance to do something so risky. She can wait. But she files away everything she has learned about orc caravans. All in all, this was a useful and very educational venture, but definitely not something she wants to get directly involved in to risk their safety during their resting days in the oasis.
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Autopsibiofeeder's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bern, CH
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

    The next morning, just after you wake up, Froad stops by and starts up some small talk. He has done that before, but this time he is not leaving after a minute or five. It seems he has something to say and needs some time to get to the point. Say, my young friends, he begins at some point, adressing you all, you are very welcome to stay here, of course, but ehh...Usually people can stay here without paying or returning a service. So it is not like that. I mean, that also goes for you. That you are welcome. Foad strikes you as a tad confused and clearly is not comfortable with what he is about to say. Uhhhh... he looks at the ground, thinks hard and then continues.

    I would like to ask a favour of you guys and girls. You look like a well trained bunch and we have a problem we cannot solve with a few tricks, a dart or two and a funny charm. His face becomes more stern. We have recieved a distress call from one of the oases in the south. It apppears that a group of goblinoids and ogres have entered the forest and have started clearing it, probably in order to build some permanent structure. This is very much not ok....if you get what I mean.

    I asked the Orc chief of the caravan that was here yesterday and he told me he had no idea what was going on. Whether or not that is true, I strongly believe this practice has to stop.
    His face saddens. However, the local Fey have tried to oppose and as far as I know at least three of our brothers and sisters have been killed. Slowly tears start to fill his eyes. This is...and...we don't know what to do! After a short moment of composing himself he continues.

    With some reluctance, I would like to ask you if you could go there and help us out. I will provide quick travel, with no strings attached, and I promise you we will make an effort to find a suitable reward for you. I am sure the collective Fey population of this area will have something worthy as reward and will be happy enough to donate it.

    He stares at you with big eyes, filled with anticipation.
    Avatar by Recaiden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •