New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Gai-len [IC]

1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Gai-len [IC]

Vrishchika looks back over the scroll again, taking a more scholarly look at it. "Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Okay, I see. These are pretty clearly metaphors in the original language, I think, or I was just interpreting the characters wrong," she says, her finger tracing gently along the lines of script. "Yes, the drink part is right. No demons are involved, though. I think I mistook 'dragons' for 'demons'," She absentmindedly nods toward where Tralkor was once standing, mumbling about the recipe being in draconic making sense now.

"Well, there's someone else involved in the portals too, but I can't really figure out who they are just from this. The dangerous part involves..." Squinting at the parchment, she shakes her head. "Okay, had that wrong too. It's a transformative process, but I don't know if it's as complete as I thought it was. I don't think the butterflies are really connected to the portals like I thought they were. Basically, only fey should use it, so those that aren't fey become fey, or at least more like them. I think. The potion is like a sign of trust, allowing someone to pass through the portal without changing." She thinks for a moment, and hands the scroll back to Froad.

"One moment, I need to check something..." she mutters, retrieving an old-looking book from her haversack. She finds a suitable place to sit and begins flipping carefully through the pages, mumbling something in a strange tongue.

(OOC: she's mumbling in Infernal)
    Spoiler
    Show

Could this possibly be a way to actualize her legacy...?
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-01-24 at 04:59 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Vrishchika vioces her suspicion about the intelligent butterflies, all the color leaves Nala's face. When she clarifies, the color starts to return slowly, ever so slowly, but not entirely. It's a moment before she can speak. "And we risked that?" she says, with more horror than accusation. She looks down at her hands, which were almost shaking. "Only if you use them more than once...we have to assume that means round trip. I don't feel any different," she mutters rapidly to herself. She closes her eyes briefly, heaves a sigh and puts her hands down by her sides again. When she speaks again, it is in a level tone. "I would rather race them to the other oasis on foot than be altered by this thing. This potion you speak of. If you aren't absolutely certain it's going to work..." she shakes her head."Then no. I will still do my best to help, Froad. But will not risk what I am for you."
    Very awesome avatar by Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Siel is silent, merely watching her comrades as they make their preparations and discuss the text. The portal business didn't really concern her; as a fey she would not be changed by it, and the thought of mortals who used it turning into insects didn't really change much. As Vrishchika discovers her mistake, she watches Nala, but still stays silent, her eyes once more their inhuman pitch black color.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

While the others discuss, Tralkor returns to his previous camping spot, builds a nice little fireplace, sets up his collection of pots and kettles and gets everything ready to start brewing. With the newly acquired recipe in hand, he then starts searching his bags for the right components, mumbling to himself somewhat.
    "Let's see if I've got the stuff needed for this..."
    Halfway through the search a frown appears on his face. I'm going to need to consult the ancestors tonight though. Hopefully I can somehow avoid this sacrifice from becoming any grimmer then it already is." He continues rummaging through his pack, still mumbling now and then. Most of it incomprehensible.
    Active Characters

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Froad hangs around and regards your actions and words. "Just let me know, Tralkor, what you need. I can help you in many ways. Might even be able to pull a few favours I have standing out left and right." He also steps towards Nala. "So, you are not confident this drink, this gift of our ancestors, will actually protect you from the portal's magic, hum? I understand I can not force you and you should not take risks you find unacceptable..." With some regret in his eyes he thinks and then his eyes dart towards Vrishchika and Siel: "Hey....but you two are mages of sorts, not? Is there a way you can determine the effects of the potion after Tralkor made it?"

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Siel shakes her head. My magic is merely a manipulation of the energies that comprise my existence. I have no extraordinary ability or talent, nor do I possess the training required to identify other forms of magic.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

"If it works, I'll do it," Nala says to assure Froad, herself, and anyone else who might be listening. "But if doesn't look right, or there is good reason to suspect that it won't work as planned, things will change." She recalls Tralkor's comment about 'grimmer than it already is', but doesn't voice that reservation out loud.

She shifts her weight from foot to foot. It sounds like the potion will take a long time to brew, and just standing around fidgeting will only make her more uncomfortable. "I'm going to keep an eye on these fellows," she indicates the other party, "To make sure they stay where they belong and get out of here without being any the wiser. If anyone needs my help, I shouldn't be hard to find." She creeps back into the brush, not quite out of earshot, to resume her sentry position. Trust the mages to deal with the magic, she thinks to herself. It's their job to understand these things.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Troll in the Playground

Vrishchika looks up from her book, appearing somewhat distracted. "Oh, yeah, I can probably do that as long as it's a magical potion. I don't really know a lot about alchemy specifically..." her eyes sneak down to the book again, before she finishes her thought. "...but magic is supposed to be my thing, you know? So maybe that'll be good enough," she says, shrugging and carefully tucking the old book back into her haversack.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-02-01 at 05:05 PM.
    Morning Star

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Froad nods. "I guess..." and heads off to get Tralkor involved. "Tralkor, this potion can be called magical, no?" He waits just a split second for an answer and carries on: "So, tell me. What do you need? Let's get this thing going, huh?"

Nala:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you head off to find the orc party, you are just in time to see them leave. The orc in full plate is in a hurry and is a bit pissed at the axe-wielding muscles for taking so long to get his stuff together after he took one last dive.

Tralkor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, this potion is magical, for sure. You can readily find the materials you need. The fey blood is the only really exotic component. Luckily, you have found out that you will not have to drink his blood, in the end. The blood has to be put in a kettle under the kettle you are brewing in: it will have to boil there for the duration of the brewing, enveloping the main kettle in its evaporating moisture. That is still pretty morbid, of course, and a brewing practice you have not encountered before.

You might decide it be wisdom to not inform or show the rest of the group what is going on, but that is of course up to you.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

Tralkor nods at Froad. "You could definitely call it magical, yeh. I've got the basics gathered, but I'll need something special. Something only the fey can offer. Tonight, I'm going to confer with the ancients to help me with this ancient process. I have some preparing to do for now, but please meet me here again at the setting of the sun."

Tralkor turns to Siel and Vrishchika. "I think it would be wisest if I conduct this experiment alone. I have no idea what will happen exactly, for this is an ancient process I haven't conducted ever before. No worries though. I'll see you folks again at dawn with those potions ready for consumption."
    Last edited by maestrodesigns; 2012-02-02 at 03:30 AM.
    Active Characters

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Siel nods, meandering about for a while before crouching near Nala, seemingly content to sit and watch her human companion and the other party for the rest of the day without a word.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tralkor suggested he would make the potions in private with Froad. Since nobody objected, I am fast-forwarding to the next morning:

Nala and Siel witness the party leaving and Vrishchika reads her book. Froad and Tralkor head off to make the potions. The day lulls by without further remarkable events.

Tralkor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You manage to find the components and make preparations with Froad. Early in the morning, as you recieve your new spells, you start to brew. Froad makes his 'donation' in a very calm manner: He feels that the sacrifice you might soon make pales in comparison with his. If there is any protective or restorative spell you want to use on him, let me know.

The brewing is suprisingly easy and swift. All in all it takes less than two hours to make the six potions. Right as the others are waking up and washing themselves, you can present them the potions. Froad asks you to join him a moment to collect a bag that's a bit heavy for him to carry.

The day off and the good nights rest has given you the opportunity to reflect on the rocky recent past and the commitments you have made. While not everything went according to plan, it seems you accomplished quite a bit in being here, alive and by finding a crew to further your (personal) goals with. In the morning you rise with reinvigorated spirit and determination.

All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You all level up to level/ECL 6. Take your time, but please let me know your pickings (class, feats, spells, skills etc.).

Vishchika:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you still wish to acquire the template, you can do so upon turning level 7. All you have to do, is NOT do two somethings during the next mini-adventure, if you get what I mean

As you are making breakfast and washing up, Froad and Tralkor arrive. They both look tired, must have been working hard the past hours. Especially Froad looks battered. "Good morning, my friends. I hope you slept well? We managed to make the potions and they look....uhm, OK." Froad points at Tralkor. "If you want to test them, Vrishchika, Tralkor has them. Six in total."

All/Vrishchika:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I simply hate how the identify spell works, in that it is so expensive and inefficient. Scrap the expensive component. Upon casting, you can identify 2 magic items per caster level. Those that prefer to not know about the qualities of their items directly, just don't offer them to Vrish.

"Please put the bag here, Tralkor. Thanks. Well, I promised you a reward for helping us. And since you are going on yet another mission on our behalf, I had better give it to you, hum?...You are still going, right?"
    Froad starts to rummage in the bag and heads towards Nala.

"Dear Nala, you must be the bravest woman I ever met, facing off brutes with just your spear and wit. Please take these, they will make you better at it" He hands you a pair of leather gloves. The seams are made of some sort of vine. It all looks rather fragile, but as you don them, you notice they fit tightly and seem to empower your grip.

He proceeds towards Siel. "Siel, I take pride in being able to send one of us off. I know that you will be able to help our new friends, and I have some objects here that will make you better at that." He offers you a small cluster of dried dark berries with a small metal pin. "Just pin this on your armor, close to your heart. The centre of our grief, hm?" He winks and then gives you a small musical instrument. It is a triangle. "This is a peculiar little thing. It may come in handy if you need a way out. Or in..."

"Vrishchika, Froad walks towards you, I have a small gem here for you. For you are the brightest of the group. Actually, it is a pearl. From what I hear, it can capture arcane energy right after it is released." He shrugs. "Sort off...I guess you can figure it out." He hands you a small milky pearl and heads towards Tralkor.

"Tralkor, my giant buddy. Since you have the looks of a guy that might stumble and trip onto the sharp edge of a sword, I brought you this nice necklace. Also, this piece of flat rope. You can wrap this around the grip of one weapon. Once. It will meld into the grip and you will find that the weapon will handle more lightly."

"Last, but not least, I have a wand here. This is for the whole group. For now, I will give it to Tralkor, since I know for sure he knows how to handle it. But if someone else can handle it, well...ah, you guys figure it out." He smiles. "It holds restorative power."

"Is there anything else I can do for you?"

All:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Vrishchika can identify all the items, if you want. Once she decides to cast the spell, and you want to know what you have, you can have a click below:

Nala

Vrishchika
    Spoiler
    Show

Tralkor
    Spoiler
    Show
    The flat rope will make one of your weapons +1, the necklace is a Amulet of natural armor (+1)

Siel
    Spoiler
    Show
    The triangle is a Chime of opening, the cluster of fruits functions as a Badge of Valor, MIC208. While technically a neck piece, this version pins on the chest and does not take up a body slot (as others benefit as much as you do):

This badge is stamped with the image of an impenetrable fortress over which shines a golden sun. When you activate a badge of valor, you and all allies within 60 feet gain a +2 bonus on the next save you or they make against a charm or fear effect before the start of your next turn.
    If you have the bardic music ability to inspire courage, you can activate a badge of valor to increase the bonus granted by that ability by 1 for the duration of its effect. A badge of valor functions three times per day.

Group wand
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wand of lesser vigor (50 charges)
    Last edited by Autopsibiofeeder; 2012-02-05 at 05:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I do indeed wish to use restorative magic: The plan was to fill up on restorative spells in the morning and use those to fix 'im up again.

After delivering the goodies, Tralkor finds himself a comfortable place to sit and with a tired, but content smile on his face he watches the rest as they inspect their newly acquired goodies.

He thanks Froad kindly for the amulet, the piece of rope, the wand and the personal sacrifices he took. "..and nah. Nothing else you could do for me. You've already done you share and then some."

He then hands the items received to Vrishchika. "Vrishchika, I heard you are an expert in analysing these kind of magical trinkets. Could you please be so kind as to determine what these items do, and more importantly; how they are used?"
    Active Characters

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh. While we're distributing goodies: I have a few more useful brews for you folks. Only if ye want 'm of course."

Tralkor lays down a small collection of stoppered coconuts. "These ones allow you to travel around without leaving a trace. Could prove handy if someone's trying to track us down." He points at 4 dark green labelled coconuts.
    He pauses and then points at 4 blue-ish labelled coconuts. "And these ones can protect a person against extreme hot or cold conditions. Could prove quite useful for our upcoming journey, especially since I assume you are not accustomed to the extreme dry and hot desert conditions we might be facing."
    Spoiler
    Show
    The potions Tralkor offers are a potion of Pass without Trace and a potion of Endure Elements. One of each per person. Ow and by the way; (Seems I forgot last time) the potions you received earlier were potions of Lesser Vigor.
    Last edited by maestrodesigns; 2012-02-06 at 07:26 AM.
    Active Characters

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

Very much a morning person, Nala is up and moving around with the first crack of dawn, preparing food and supplies and checking the campsite of the other party from afar to make sure they are well and truly gone. She meets Froad and Tralkor as they arrive. Froad’s particularly noticeable exhaustion catches her eye. She looks at him worriedly, but as he talks and moves, she seems to conclude that it's nothing too debilitating.

Nala accepts the gloves from Froad and pulls them on very carefully. Despite their fragile appearance, once on her hands she is surprised to find them sturdy and comfortable. "Thank you Froad," she says to him. "I'm sure these will be invaluable on our journey." The energy not moving through her hand makes her wonder if there is something more going on than she understands. Eager to try them out but without an opportunity to use them, she flexes her hands and grasps her spear experimentally.

Watching the others receive their gifts, she is impressed to see so much magic all in one place. But it is the fey after all, she admits. "Would you take a look at these for me, Vrish?" She asks, holding out her hands.

"Be watchful and take care while we’re gone, Froad. There is no way to tell how long we might be away, and there might be more unwanted visitors."

She accepts the coconuts from Tralkor and ties them to her pack. He must have put a lot of thought into these. "You're right there - I'm really not fond of the desert. These should help keep us safe."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you, Nala. We will be fine. It is you that will have to be careful. If the reputation of these Dark Elves is only half true, you are up for a bumpy ride." He smiles and looks around. "Now, if you do notmind, I will go to and retreat a bit. I need to catch some rest. Feel free to wake me when you are ready and I will take you to the portal that will lead you as far south as possible."

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Siel thanks Froad and Tralkor all but expressionlessly. She examines the other fey's gift with some interest before attaching it to her armor, looking at her mortal allies. I don't have any preparations to make before we leave; do you? She asks.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I will echo Siel's sentiment," Nala says with a nod. "I am as prepared as I can be at this point. If it won't put too much strain on you, let's get this army marching."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will incorporate item's bonuses into stats today. Woo!

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

Tralkor walks back to the tree and settles himself comfortably."If you could give me an hour or two, i'll take a little rest. After that I'm all ready to go."
    Active Characters

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Tralkor takes his two hours of rest, as does Froad. In the meanwhile Vrishchika identifies the items that are being offered to her. A small group of fey approaches you. A merry band of insect bodies, butterfly wings blended with somewhat humanoid features. It seems they have practiced to adress you in a language you all understand. They start putting small bundles, packed in big leaves, in a pile on the ground as one of them slowly speaks: "Dry food. For when you leave nature." They probably mean the home of the Dark Elves, underground. Shy as they are, they leave as swift as they came, but not before expressing their gratitude. In total you now have about 8 days worth of rations for one person, or two for four persons.

After having rested a little, the group convenes and Froad shows you a portal. It is different from the other one you used before, but it works in a similar manner: Froad instructs you to simply pass between two small trees a few meters away from you. "Please do not forget to take your potion. You have six, one for now, and one for the way back." A small moment of silence ensues and then he continues: "So, ehhh, you know what to do? You still remember the description given by the big goblin? Well...please remember that your life is dear to us. Should you find yourself overwhelmed by danger, please do not hesitate to stop the mission."

OOC/ALL:
    Spoiler
    Show

I am going to assume that you all (except for Siel, of course) take the potion and step through the portal. If there is something you want to have done before, or wish to not do, please let me know. I will write the next scene right now and post it somewehere tomorrow.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

You step through the portal and find yourself in a somewhat different environment. The oasis you have been living the past weeks is very lush in a rather barren environment. This oasis is less rich in plant variety. Also, you do not immediately see a source of water around. The gathering of trees you are currently standing in is too small to be called a forest. It is a small patch of woodland in a surrounding of grasslands. In the near distance you spot a few more of these small woodland patches. As such, it looks a bit like some of the terrain you passed in captivity.

Given the large amount of grass and the spines between the small, thick, rubbery leaves on the trees, Vrischika and Tralkor figure that there are a lot of herbivores here. That also means there might be large predators here. Normally, you would not be on the menu of such beasts but it might be prudent to be a bit careful and not disturb them.

In the far distance, in the south, you see the mountain range the bugbear had described. It is hard to estimate distance on these plains, but thirty miles to the foot of the first hills sounds reasonable. The higher peaks, behind the first rim of hills are decidedly bright green with vegetation and crowned with massive clouds. Clouds, you realize you had not seen many of those in the past weeks.

Depending on how well you estimated the distance and the roughness of the terrain in between, you estimate it will take you two or three days by foot to reach the mountains, and perhaps the mine.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Before setting out, Vrishchika figures she may as well offer up a spell to help cut travel times.

"I just discovered a new spell shortly before we departed the oasis," she says to the others, tracing the intricate patterns in the air to make sure she remembers them all. "It will conjure magical ponies for us all to ride, if everyone feels comfortable with it. I figure it will help make travel easier on us all."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

YES INDEED

The spell is Regal Procession, it summons up a Light Horse or Pony for riding for up to 1 person per level (5 total); and you all totally have to endure riding mounts decorated in the coolest spider-pirate swag.

Basically, each mount lasts for 10 hours and has 60 ft move speed, which I think is better than what we can normally do.

Uh...I am not sure if a light horse or pony is big enough for Tralkor though . He is an ogre right?
    Morning Star

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Vrishchika:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arf...that's a thing I had not even considered when I saw regal procession on your list. I was actually happy to see such a party support spell on there. I have a suggestion here that kind of solves it:

You can create 5 normal horses. In addition, you can create one big, strong, heavy warhorse per four caster levels. That would mean you can conjure one big and one lean horse. I think it is very possible to put two persons on a horse, so this way you could still all be mounted. However, the big horse has a speed of 50 and the lean horse will have a speed of 50 as well due to encumbrance.

If you like this solution, let's adopt it. If you do not like it, you can swap the spell, if you want or keep it, as you please.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Autopsibiofeeder View Post
    Vrishchika:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arf...that's a thing I had not even considered when I saw regal procession on your list. I was actually happy to see such a party support spell on there. I have a suggestion here that kind of solves it:

You can create 5 normal horses. In addition, you can create one big, strong, heavy warhorse per four caster levels. That would mean you can conjure one big and one lean horse. I think it is very possible to put two persons on a horse, so this way you could still all be mounted. However, the big horse has a speed of 50 and the lean horse will have a speed of 50 as well due to encumbrance.

If you like this solution, let's adopt it. If you do not like it, you can swap the spell, if you want or keep it, as you please.
    @Autopsibiofeeder:

Spoiler
    Show

That would work perfectly; I'd taken it to help with travel, so if Tralkor can't otherwise ride a pony, we can adopt that solution. I still get to design their accoutrements, right?

Though I still would like to see an ogre riding a small horse.
    Morning Star

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

After the lush forest they had spent so much time in, Nala feels exposed the moment she steps into this new oasis. At least it means she can spy their destination quickly. Even with the head start she knows they have against the bugbear and his party, she still wishes they were closer.

Conjuring magical ponies was the last solution Nala would have ever have come up with. But it certainly would cut their travel time down. "I haven’t ridden anything since I was very young, but I’d take any help we can get, provided these ponies can carry me. Tralkor might have a bit more trouble, though. Riding would also make us more visible to anything around here. Those grasses will do very little to hide us. On the other hand, we might have a chance of out-running anything that tries to catch us."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    hahaha, the look of the big fella ("I'm not fat, i'm just well prepared for desert survival") trying to mount a cute little magical pony. The poor poor creature.

Tralkor grins at the pony idea. "Yeh... That might give a little trouble. I am able to travel a little faster by myself with a little help of nature's blessings. It won't match the speed of your ponies though."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tralkor can use Longstrider to increase overland speed to 40'. Not as fast, but at least the pony will live to see another day.

He hesitates a little before continuing, looking down at his toes playing with the grass. "I'm affraid it might be for the best anyhoo, since I tend to have some trouble staying mounted on ... Well anything to be honest. I once seriously injured myself when I was still a little one." he looks at his companions and smiles "relatively little that is at least.... My father had me sitting steadily on his shoulders, but I managed to take a nice head first dive onto the rocky grounds. Let's say I was lucky that Ogre skulls are quite hard to crack, combined with the fact that I was slightly puffy back then."
    He sighs, becomes aware of a slightly confused look on some faces, and in an attempt to save face he forcefully smashes his club to the ground.
    "Hrrm, yes. We Ogres are not accustomed to riding our food!"
    Last edited by maestrodesigns; 2012-02-16 at 12:01 PM. Reason: fixed the ponies! :)
    Active Characters

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    PONY'S WHAT?

It's ponies. Pony's is either a contraction of 'pony is' or indicates that what follows is owned by the pony.

This is one of the things that annoys me a lot. I can see why a non-native speaker would pick it up, though, as it's a really common error on the internet.

Siel nods at each argument presented by Nala and Tralkor. It makes no difference to me whether we ride or walk. She says.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

OOC/ALL:
    Spoiler
    Show
    First of all, sorry for the lack of updates recently. Was hoping for the discussion in the IC thread to solve itself and then got stuck in social stuff I had to do. And spent too much time F5-ing the kickstarter thing (a $280 well spent ).

Second, I will make an executive decision here: you end up riding a big horse and a big pony. It doesn't really matter anyway, in the end.

You are confident that you are at least five days ahead of the other group, perhaps even ten if they do not have access to mounts as you do. You witness Vrishchika summon magical energy to form into two mounts. A sturdy pony and a big horse. The horse is big enough to fit Tralkor, who admits defeat after claiming that him on a mount is never going to work. It takes some teamwork to get him up there and you find out that it takes Nala's strength to prevent Tralkor from dropping off once per hour, so Vrishchika and Siel share the pony.

You find you miscalculated the distance a bit: it takes you allmost three days to reach the foothills and forest. On the upside, this environment offers enough plants, animals and streams to survive without much hassle, especially since Tralkor and Vrishchika are fairly knowledgeable about what is edible and what not. In addition, it offers nice sights: panoramic views of the hills and mountains lurking behind the plains covered in patches of woodland. Especially during dusk and dawn the views are impressive. Two times you spot a fairly large herd of large, horned herbivores. Once even up very close. Only slightly smaller than a horse, these brown furred animals, while lean, look strong enough to trample a human, not to mention impale an ogre with their two feet long curled horns.

It is day three now. You estimate that it will take about two hours for the sun to set as the plains give way to a forest. While not very dense yet, you can see that soon it will be. For sure too dense for mounts to maneuvre easily. Straight ahead of you, it is not so clear how far, should be the mine the bugbear mentioned.

Will you advance now, and face the night in the forest you are not yet familiar with, or will you sleep here and explore the forest by daylight, possibly losing a few hours of the advantage you have against the orc party?

Also, is there anything you want to do or change now the environment changes? For example, memorize different spells?

The forest will be dense soon. Will you be walking (roughly) in pairs, in a 'line' or all four side by side? If you have specific ideas about this, let me know, otherwise I will determine a marching order (if important) at random (which is also fine by me).

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

Tralkor's happy that the inconvenience of trying to stay mounted for days on end is seemingly over for now. He'd be happy to just walk on his own two legs again.

The idea of going into a dense forest and / or travelling at night doesn't bother him at all. His strong ties with nature, his unfaltering belief in his survival skills and the simple fact that he can see almost as clearly in total darkness as he can in broad daylight all fortify that confident attitude.
    His suggestion would be to continue, but he awaits his companion's opinions.

As for the marching order... That's more of an Orc thing. He never ever bothered even thinking about such stuff. Surely one of his companions will come up with some tactical reasoning, and as long as it sounds reasonable he'd simply adapt.
    Active Characters

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

As uncomfortable the ride was to the inexperienced Nala, the thought of increasing their lead on the other party made it definitely worth it. When they reach the foothills she is more tired than expected, even though they had been able to eat fairly well, but at least she feels that they should be able to recover soon enough.

"Let’s press on," Nala says once they reach the edge of the forest. "We should find a nice, secure place inside the make a camp in. No fires and no building structures." That was one thing she had gotten out of practice with, back with the fey. Either way, now was not the time to make a shelter that could be spotted by the forest’s inhabitants. Better to suffer through the discomfort.

Unlike Tralkor, though, marching order is something Nala definitely cares about. "We need to keep Siel and Vrish in between us, in case we run into trouble. I’ll take point, Siel and Vrish can walk next to each other with Tralkor right behind them. You won’t have any trouble seeing over the three of us," she tells the ogre. "And no trouble keeping up with the pace I set, either. Everyone in agreement on the order?"

If so, she leads the way into the dense forest at a careful but steady pace, with the intent of keeping going until darkness is about to fall.