New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Niho: A Brutal BBEG

I also posted this concern of mine here, but Playgrounders seem to be more helpful the majority of the time than the folks over at the CharOp boards.

My concern is this: Is Niho really too powerful to ever be used?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Niho: A Brutal BBEG

Despite being weaker than basic Sorcerer, Battle Sorc is still easily tier 2, and you've but some strong gish PrCs on it while hardly losing any casting. Like any relatively-optimized tier 2 character, they'll have an answer for pretty much any situation, as you've noticed, so unless the party is similarly optimized they won't have much chance - and they'll certainly need at least one of the heavy casters on their side to compete. Niho's Quicken Spell isn't much use without Rapid Metamagic or a different familiar-trading ACF, though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

No, he is pretty doable. The guy on the other thread presents a valid question though build wise.

If the players have a solid dispeller, this character could be taken down quickly, if I'm not mistaken.

My players are pretty good at optimizing. He might take one down if he solidly focuses on that one...but they'd kick the crud out of him in 3 rounds at most.

But it also depends on what level you'd introduce him to your party. If the party has an EL of 6, of course he'd win. In my experience, a gap in levels of 4-5 or more can create a TPK easily.
    Bustin' chops.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    I'm pretty certain myancey is absolutely, 100% objectively correct.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah man, I'd get out while you still enjoy d&d.

As much as it sucks to say, some people aren't meant to DM because they lack the ability to make judgment calls. These people include:

The drug-addled
    Furries
    People who buy Backyard Poultry magazine
    People who post on Rants and Raves (craigslist)
    People who buy hummers
    Professional laser tag players

And this list goes on.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like to think I am at least a competent enough DM to not throw a CR 20 at a level 6 group

That aside, the PCs themselves were fairly well-optimized. I did not use any rules, books, or abilities that they themselves did not have access to. Perhaps the real problem was that the group's two casters both died round 1.

If Niho is not overpowered, then I have no qualms about running him as a PC this weekend. I just wanted to run him by a couple forums before springing him on some hapless DM at the game store.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rocket Tag. He fired first is all.

Could just have easily been an anticlimactic fight with a DMM cleric and a Duskblade in the mix. I'm not saying the fighter and rogue would not have been able to contribute, but magical mobility typically requires magic to counter.

Without the 2 casters, picking off the other members of the group would have been fairly easy. If he had been subjected to lockdown, he would have been curbstomped pretty quickly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyShadow View Post
    I like to think I am at least a competent enough DM to not throw a CR 20 at a level 6 group

That aside, the PCs themselves were fairly well-optimized. I did not use any rules, books, or abilities that they themselves did not have access to. Perhaps the real problem was that the group's two casters both died round 1.

If Niho is not overpowered, then I have no qualms about running him as a PC this weekend. I just wanted to run him by a couple forums before springing him on some hapless DM at the game store.
    Sorry, wasn't questioning competency--just giving an extreme example.

That aside, provided he's completely RAW in terms of those feats/abilities he had, I'd say play him.
    Bustin' chops.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    I'm pretty certain myancey is absolutely, 100% objectively correct.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah man, I'd get out while you still enjoy d&d.

As much as it sucks to say, some people aren't meant to DM because they lack the ability to make judgment calls. These people include:

The drug-addled
    Furries
    People who buy Backyard Poultry magazine
    People who post on Rants and Raves (craigslist)
    People who buy hummers
    Professional laser tag players

And this list goes on.