New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Tower of God: An Infinite Canvas comic from Korea.

And now for something completely different.

Korean webcomics, "WEBTOONS" for short, are illustrated in full color and read in one long strip per chapter, webtoons are the distinctive style of webcomics from Korea. They appear to be funded by the Korean main internet search engine, Naver. They are released weekly with a TON of content. I'm not sure of all the details but it looks like South Korea has done something really exciting with the webcomic genre. To give an example of the work they typically do, I submit my favorite pick that I have found so far.

Tower of God.

It's a comic takes place in an underground world that is divided into various "levels" and the only way to get from one level to the other is through the "Tower" of God. However, only a selected few are allowed to climb it and...

Oh, what was that? You can't read Korean? Fine then. Here is an English translation.

Tower of God: English Edition.

As I was saying, only a few are allowed to climb it and at the top is... Well... Allow me to steal the official PREVIEW and say it like this

"What is your desire?
    Money?
    Glory?
    Power?
    Revenge?
    or something that surpasses all other?
    Whatever you desire, THAT is here"

At the top of the Tower of God.

Dun, dun, dun.

Basic story is a boy who's only friend has decided to leave him and climb the tower in search of an open sky to see the stars. Of course, he decides to follow her and so the journey to the top begins...

I hope some people give this a look. Even if you don't like the story. The use of the endless pages is a really interesting style and something you don't see in western webcomics.

Also, if you like the 1 page format then feel free to take a look at some other webtoons I have looked through

Toma's Webtoon List
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-08-15 at 01:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Webcomic from South Korea "Tower of God"

At a glance it kind of reminds me of Estancia which IIRC is also from South Korea, so I guess that makes sense? I'll have to give it a read over. If nothing else I love it when electronic comics actually take advantage of being electronic.

Edit: I've just been informed that one needs to be a subscriber to finish Estancia. It's news to me, but that makes the recommendation somewhat more cautionary.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2012-04-10 at 07:51 PM.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    I'll have to give it a read over. If nothing else I love it when electronic comics actually take advantage of being electronic.
    Do. Occasionally, SIU's art goes a little wonky, but the plot rarely ever does.

I have to admit, I'm hooked. Mainly by the plot, but the art itself has sometimes blown me away.

Warning: you may often have to go back and do an archive binge when something from way back crops up as having been a bit more important than expected with this one. And, that thing will often have been tiny, but rendered in very good detail. So, you know, upon reflection, you shouldn't have skipped past it the first time.

I think I went on my 4th binge with the reveal of the ring meeting... well, somebody rather vital. (Tries very hard to be a good girl and not to spoil.)

Oh, I hated every second. Yep. Sure. I hate being strong-armed into rereading stuff I didn't like the first time.
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-04-11 at 09:14 PM.
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'

4. - Top - End - #4

I finished reading Estancia and I'll agree that they are fairly similar. Both have rag tag groups traveling to an unknown destination. I liked the use of the train. I think if you liked one story you'd like the other.

My vote is still for ToD though. I think the storyline has much more depth to it (the ToD beginning chapter was incredibly memorable to me as well. I've read the Floor 1 test arc a number of times now). Of course, ToD is also longer and ongoing, whereas Estancia is a completed work. Also, I think the panel layout of ToD is much more interesting. I don't see anything too dynamic being done with the pannel layout on Estancia. Finally, as averagejoe has stated, the ending of Estancia is gone. Last readable update is 57-1. If you could re-read it a bit and try and remember what the big revelations were, that would be great.

And HEY! Someone read ToD. :)

I also had to reread it Echu... Erm. I mean. E-U-ooddddd.... Eudia? No, wait... I mean... Ummmm....

How the HECK do you even begin to pronounce that name? you know what? I'll call you Eudia from now on (that stupid "o" has no reason to be in there). I think I can pronounce that word correctly.

Anyway, I also re-read it after the plot twist was revealed, Eudia. Rarely have I been so totally blindsided as I was this time around. I had to process it for a day or two.

My favorite character was Black March, who was totally under-utilized in this story. Boy gets a weapon that not only is really powerful and famous but also is ALIVE? Not only alive but very picky on who it will use it's power for? I would have loved for there to be more bonding there and for the two of them to become a real team but it didn't work out that way.

What did you think of the start? Did it intrigue you like it did me? I just loved how they began the whole thing. The friend disappearing and his decision to reunite with her no matter what (I really liked how he says he doesn't care about riches or power as long as he can be with her again). The Rabbit guardian. The whole "the answer is always at the top" theme that sets the theme for the storyline. The charge against the Steel Eel. I liked how Baam never asked a useless question. Like when he gets the the device his first question it to confirm the reason that he has already deduces as to why he can suddenly understand them.

Also, how does a person draw/write that much? There is a lot of fighting in it for sure but it doesn't go to absurd extremes like a lot of mangas do in order to use fighting as filler. He does more a week then weekly mangas manage and the whole thing is in color! seems to update like clockwork too. Every Sunday a new update is posted (as far as I know anyway. It also takes a bit longer for the translation to be done though). It just boggles me. South Korean webtoonists are workhorses!
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-04-11 at 11:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    How the HECK do you even begin to pronounce that name? you know what? I'll call you Eudia from now on (that stupid "o" has no reason to be in there). I think I can pronounce that word correctly.
    Wrongo: that 'o' belongs there, as Euodia was a perfectly wonderful historical character who Saint Paul took time off to yell at via his Epistal to the Philippians. I stole her name and bolted it to a dryad's. Oh, and it's also the name for a genus of plant in the citrus-side of the rose family. For some reason.

You-oh-dee-ah. Or just Euo.

My favorite character was Black March, who was totally under-utilized in this story. Boy gets a weapon that not only is really powerful and famous but also is ALIVE? Not only alive but very picky on who it will use it's power for? I would have loved for there to be more bonding there and for the two of them to become a real team but it didn't work out that way.
    One of my crazy theories as to who Baam actually is is... well very crazy.

Spoiler
    Show
    What if he's actually the Colourless December, eh? Just on two legs, rather than in cutting form. It would kind of explain why he was sealed up as far away as possible from anything else. And, why shinsoo attacks are pretty pointless on him, unless you go for the subtle approach.

I very much doubt we've seen the last of the March. Or the April, either. Although... I really wouldn't want to meet the personification of the April on a dark night.

What did you think of the start? Did it intrigue you like it did me?
    One thing I really did like about the start was the lack of info-dump. Seriously: you land right into the mystery with many questions asked, few answered. And, some are answered way before you suspected they were even asked.

It just boggles me. South Korean webtoonists are workhorses!
    Ditto. I've no idea how he does it. It is, however, why the art sometimes looks a bit rougher. That week, he almost didn't make it on time.

Sometimes, I wish I could speak Korean just to hit his blog and tell him it wouldn't kill us for him to be a bit late.
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-04-12 at 05:15 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, I'm hooked. I quite like it. Gah! I want moooooore pages!
    Throw the dice high.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Funny a topic about this comic apearing right now. I've found it while searching TVtropes. So far, loving the concept of the history, and specially waiting for more Rak.

What really bothers me is: why do people keep the mentality of dumping others, when you actually have diferent kinds of jobs who should not compete with each other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Slayn82 View Post
    Funny a topic about this comic apearing right now. I've found it while searching TVtropes. So far, loving the concept of the history, and specially waiting for more Rak.

What really bothers me is: why do people keep the mentality of dumping others, when you actually have diferent kinds of jobs who should not compete with each other?
    Woot! Another troper!

And, yeah: it's something I'd like to know, as well. The whole dog-eat-dog thing seems... suspicious when it's obvious that your chances of going up floors would be increased the more people you could rely on.

I keep hoping some explanation for that in the Tower's culture will be forthcoming. Well, beyond "Zahard is a jerk".

9. - Top - End - #9

Euo (I still like Eudia better , stupid "o"), your idea that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baam is the colorless December is just crazy! CRAZY I say! Everyone knows that all the weapons from the series have female personalities

Slayn, about yous question about the dumping others mentality, I would point out that while there are... 5 positions I think? (wave controller, light bearer, scout, fisherman and spear-barer) There are a lot of people taking tests so each position has it's own elemination rounds. That is why there is the mentality of dumping others, I think? Unless you meant something beyond that.

Hmm, I went over to TV Tropes. I'm actually a bit surprised Tower of God is in there. I've done some reading of the site. A fair amount actually but that place has too much info. I'm not sure even a month of reading would be enough to finish everything. A person can't let themselves get sucked in because there is just no light at the end of the tunnel for getting caught up. >_>

10. - Top - End - #10

Update is up. Time for the Raws discussion.

As I mentioned before the official webcomic is in Korean and tha update seems to go up around Sunday afternoon, EST time. The English translation takes an extra 2-4 days or so on the Batoto site.

If you just wanna have one website to click on then go to Batoto, however. The main reason I would recommend reading at the Korean site is that this is where the actual author posts it. Considering that clicking on his website is about the only way to support this comic that I know of. If you really like it, you should have a link to both places.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a short update comparatively speaking. The author warned of that. First part is talking about the game. Fortunately, I have full ranks in Language: Korean. I mean Bluff.) So here is the totally correct summery of what happened.

Love explains the game. You have to get out of the room to win, anyone that stays in the room loses. There is arguing. The glasses woman and the annoying brat easily get outside cause their roomates are wussies and Firegirl tells Viole that she's not letting him out for any reason and he's gonna die now for not being interested in her body (bastard). Viole tells her that her powers are as uninteresting as her body which hurts her feelings so bad that she stops attacking him and lets him through.

I liked the Voile confrontation the best. The look on the girls face was pretty priceless! Bwahahaha. Also, the flames she made were pretty.

PS. I hope the Giant upgrades the servers soon, posting can be a nightmare sometimes. Spent half an hour trying to get this up

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

I have to say...this comic is suprisingly good. Of course, given the pacing and the update speed I can't ever see it actually finishing...but it's still quite interesting. Definitely worked its way into my reading list.

I think I liked the idealistic Baam a lot better than the cold hearted "Viole" though. Although I suppose the transformation makes a lot of sense.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I have to say...this comic is suprisingly good. Of course, given the pacing and the update speed I can't ever see it actually finishing...but it's still quite interesting. Definitely worked its way into my reading list.
    Preaching to the choir, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I think I liked the idealistic Baam a lot better than the cold hearted "Viole" though. Although I suppose the transformation makes a lot of sense.
    I'm still living in hope that he'll modify back somewhat. Some time with people who genuinely need him (and maybe see him as more than a handy means to get from A to B) might help. That, or a bratling lass with little sense giving him something to vent on. Whichever.

Yup: living in hope, but no actual expectations, considering SIU's handle. <cries>

13. - Top - End - #13

I'm not quite sure what Anteros meant by judging by the pacing and updates that he can't see it finishing. The 80 chapters that made up Book 1 did a great job of telling a full story by itself and that is a lot of story for less then 2 years of work.

Anyway, the translation is up now, only two days after the original update. It has some brief conversations with 4 groups. I really like Viole, I think Firegirl is wrong to state he's planning on killing everyone. I haven't seen him definitively kill anyone so far. I am pretty sure he's just learned the lession that young princess was trying to teach him during book one, that you can't get to the top without making other people lose. Plus, any real faith in the goodness in others was destroyed awhile ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he was lying about being in FUG just so that people wouldn't want to team up with him.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

I'm not quite sure what Anteros meant by judging by the pacing and updates that he can't see it finishing. The 80 chapters that made up Book 1 did a great job of telling a full story by itself and that is a lot of story for less then 2 years of work.

Anyway, the translation is up now, only two days after the original update. It has some brief conversations with 4 groups. I really like Viole, I think Firegirl is wrong to state he's planning on killing everyone. I haven't seen him definitively kill anyone so far. I am pretty sure he's just learned the lession that young princess was trying to teach him during book one, that you can't get to the top without making other people lose. Plus, any real faith in the goodness in others was destroyed awhile ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he was lying about being in FUG just so that people wouldn't want to team up with him.
    I'm not saying it wasn't a lot of story...but it was what? 2 years worth of story for what was basically a prologue? I'm just saying, that it looks like we've got another 10 years or so to go before any reasonable expectation of the thing ending.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ooh I just got hooked on this Webcomic. I love the scope and grandness of the story.

Euodiachloris, I'll keep hoping with you that some part of the old Baam will re-emerge. And that some flash backs from the missing time will expound on his character transformation.

All numbers are grammatically correct

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

I'd say there will almost certainly be some type of transformation back into kind hearted Baam. How we reconcile that with the guy who apparently killed 20 floors of worth of people and joined a criminal organization is what I'm interested to see.

The writing so far has been good, but it's a difficult thing to pull off. You can't just go back to him being kindhearted without at least addressing the horrible things he's done.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Question: is that the most confusing, convoluted and downright weird game ever concocted by a guy who just wants somebody dead, or what?

Love has screws loose. A clock full gears and screws.

18. - Top - End - #18

I'm not sure there is anything especially wrong with Viole at this point. I personally don't think his theory is wrong. If you can't trust a team that you will be in then, sure, make sure the rest can't go on. It's not like he's killed anyone so far, just disabled them from continuing.

Also, Euo, I'm pretty sure complicated tests to kill people are the norm in this series. lol. Even if it's not the planof the game masters, people will still die by taking advantage of the odd challenges they are forced to face. I get the feeling that anyone but our protagonist can be on the chopping block in this series.

As always, the Naver website has updated today. Will take another two days for the translation but if you want a summery of what happens, you can read it below.

Spoiler
    Show

Summery: Provided by FudgeNouget

-Yeon is telling herself that everything's over if Baam gets out, wishing someone would come and stop him.
    -Prince comes in, gets in the room, and closes the door with the remote. He yells "If you want to go out, do it after defeating me!"
    -Baam just nonchantly opens the door and walks out (which you can infer he used his "freezing" skill again)

-Meanwhile, Miseng is playing on her phone(?), when someone knocks on her door.
    -It's the woman who was talking to her before (the one with the fat lip), asking her to open the door since she will be her "friend".
    -When Miseng is confused, she pretends that some is after her, yelling to please let her in (which again, can be inferred that Miseng did let her in)

-The Teddy tells Arkraptor to go to Miseng since he thinks Arkraptor is worried.
    -Arkraptor first refuses, but after some back-and-forth talking between them, Arkraptor decides to go.

-Arkraptor knocks on Miseng's door, where there is no reply.

Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-04-22 at 09:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

We don't know if he's actually killed people, but honestly he's at the very least beaten several people to the point where we as the audience don't know if they're dead or alive. That combined with his continual penchant for threatening to kill people makes it pretty likely that he's actually killing people now.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, thanks to this thread I've discovered how awesome this webcomic is. Thank you

I'm really excited to see where this goes, but I don't like how it strayed away from our Baam. I feel like this side plot will make me lose some of the excitement for the main plot. Still, its interesting to get to jump around.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

21. - Top - End - #21

Default Re: Tower of God: an Infinite Canvas comic from Korea

The update has been translated. A fast read, sadly. Author's note at the end is saying more short updates to come too.

Once again Viole refrains from killing. I just can't bring myself to believe that guy is a murderer unless I see him kill someone.

The little girl seems to be in some trouble though. She's pretty naive considering that she's on the 2th floor by now. How on earth did she make it this far?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    Well, thanks to this thread I've discovered how awesome this webcomic is. Thank you
    We'll charge you a finders' fee. Bwhahahaha!

Author's note at the end is saying more short updates to come too.
    I don't mind: if it means he avoids burn-out, I'm all for it.

The little girl seems to be in some trouble though. She's pretty naive considering that she's on the 2th floor by now. How on earth did she make it this far?
    Nah, there'll be more to her than it looks. The problem is, Ring-Lady and her are on the same level, in theory. That worries me.

Was I the only one to laugh very loudly at the jump-in, mouth off, get pwnd sequence? Man, Prince, read the atmosphere, first! Yoen standing there, rooted to the spot, should have given him some pause, surely?
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-04-24 at 03:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I wonder if there's any significance to the fact that since the time-skip induced hair growth we can't see Viole's eyes at all. I get that it's symbolic of his reserved persona, I just wonder if we'll eventually get an emotional moment where his eyes are visible and his true self shows through.

All numbers are grammatically correct

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the hair growth is one of two things:

Power makes your hair grow or to make him look cool

Or its to show how he doesn't care about anything but his goal anymore. My question is, why does he want to slay Zahard? I don't see him having any anger directed at Zahard. Others? Yes. But not someone who he's never met.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

25. - Top - End - #25

Since I'm of the opinion that Viole isn't a murderer, In general, at least. I think he's claiming to be a member of FUG in order to dissuade people from wanting to team up with him or perhaps even as a long term plot to take down the organization. I really have no idea why Viole would be working for FUG otherwise. I mean, it's not like FUG has the connections to get the level guardians to help them screw Baam over like they did. There must be a bigger conspiracy at play that we don't know about.

I also suspect that the hair growth has less to do with "power" so much as it has to do with his past. Before he met that evil shrew Rachel, his hair was long. I believe long hair is a symbol of isolation, which I am sure he is currently experiencing.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

That makes sense. Have we seen him kill? He seems to be taking it easy, and showing surprising levels of mercy for someone who Now understands that he must kill to reach the top?

Either way, I hope we get more cold badass before he warms up to his old self. I like this change as good character development.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

27. - Top - End - #27

New update has been translated. Miseng and the scary man have a heart to heart talk. I'd be happy that she didn't open up the door but it annoys me that the reason she didn't is because she was too scared. Again, I wonder how the heck did this girl get as far as she did?

I'm excited to see who is visiting the room at the end of the chapter. Likely Viole. Makes sense of him to visit if he truly is interested in measuring the arm of god before he takes off to floor 21 by himself.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-05-02 at 12:45 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    That makes sense. Have we seen him kill? He seems to be taking it easy, and showing surprising levels of mercy for someone who Now understands that he must kill to reach the top?

Either way, I hope we get more cold badass before he warms up to his old self. I like this change as good character development.
    http://www.batoto.net/read/_/83828/t...by_the-company

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/85728/t...by_the-company

I don't know if he's murdering or not...but he's definitely not a pacifist. It certainly looks like he killed at least the last guy, and possibly the first 3 as well.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I suspect that we'll see Black March again eventually, given that (among other things) she's the image on the top of the author's blog. It also seems like it would be somewhat pointless to make such a detailed character design for her only to have her appear all of once.

(And, I mean, so far Baam is the only person she's ever ignited for.)

30. - Top - End - #30

I don't deny that Viole is quite capable of violence, Anteros, but I'm of the opinion that everyone he's defeated got teleported to the Tower medical area to be treated. He's shown a fair amount of restraint as well when he didn't have to as well. However, I'd be willing to reassess my opinion if he does something that looks lethal, like, say, stabbing someone with a sword.

So, Aquillion, tell me more about this blog with the Black March illustration. I never read it before. I checked around on the webcomic page but I didn't see any blog.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-05-04 at 03:14 AM.