Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 1467
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator
     
    The Glyphstone's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    What's the brick joke starting point?
    Quote Originally Posted by GungHo, on Battletech
    The Atlas is also goofy but it has that whole "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man" menacing smile thing going for it. The guy who drew that one up was obviously taken to the Nutcracker when he was a child... and he was screaming in terror the entire time.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Enterti, Cogidubnus
    Glyphstone, out of all the playground I think you scare me the most...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    Glyphstone, you are an evil person :D

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ThePhantasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    You guys seem to be painting this as Luke having no temptations a la Anakin and then Palpatine simply trying to drive Luke to hate rather than convert him. That's not right at all.

    Luke DID have temptations. From his anger and grief and Owen and Beru's death (clenching his fist and glowering) to Vader's repeated temptings of Luke (join me and together we will rule the galaxy, offered in both ESB and RTJ). It was VADER who was trying to convert Luke. (Remember Palpatine asked if Vader's feelings on this were clear, and Vader said "He will join us or die, my master.")

    Palpatine thought Vader was trying to get Luke to join the Emperor, while Vader in actuality wanted Luke to join him against the Emperor. But either way there was a long history of Vader tempting Luke. In the end Luke refused to join so Palpatine started electrocuting him because he was a Jedi, setting out to kill him.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

    The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    What's the brick joke starting point?
    Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to passion. Passion leads to jealousy. Jealousy leads to nurturing. Nurturing leads to weakness. Weakness leads to humility...
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0; Snapdragon; Mordant

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Unfortunately for him and the continuation of the Sith, Sidious's emotional control wasn't as strong as he thought it was, and the Sith Rule-of-Two failed to account for a self-sacrificing kill on the part of the apprentice. And so, Sidious gets thrown into a reactor shaft and his apprentice dies moments later, ending the Sith tradition forever until they needed more villains for the EU.
    I don't think it's his emotional control that was lacking. The issue is the emotional weakness he was leveraging against ended up working against him. Anakin was tempted to the dark side because he wanted the power to save the one he loved. In Return of the Jedi, Sidious was killing off his son, someone he probably loved. At that point Sidious lost any leverage he had over Anakin, since Anakin had to kill Sidious in order to save someone he loved. The very weakness he was exploiting could no longer be exploited, so he ended up with one angry guy that was willing to do anything to protect his son.

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_Final_Stand's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Looking back at the previous comics, they've been following that progression from the start of the duel.

    At the same time, nearer the start, Yoda has been accused of the same progression, but denying it.

    Genius.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

    If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nerd-o-rama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In AMERICA!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    You guys seem to be painting this as Luke having no temptations a la Anakin and then Palpatine simply trying to drive Luke to hate rather than convert him. That's not right at all.

    Luke DID have temptations. From his anger and grief and Owen and Beru's death (clenching his fist and glowering) to Vader's repeated temptings of Luke (join me and together we will rule the galaxy, offered in both ESB and RTJ). It was VADER who was trying to convert Luke. (Remember Palpatine asked if Vader's feelings on this were clear, and Vader said "He will join us or die, my master.")
    Well yes, the idea is that Luke was being tempted toward anger and hatred. I can see how Palpatine was capitalizing on all the death and sadness in Luke's life (which the concurrent battles on the moon and around the Death Star were only increasing) to tempt him to hatred, but it still seems more like a bludgeon than his decades-long grooming of Anakin did. Luke was able to deny his destructive passions and throw away his lightsaber. Anakin could not. Is it because he was stronger than Anakin, or because Palpatine was doing a rush job on him and failed to account for filial loyalty? Probably both, now that I think about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by random_guy View Post
    I don't think it's his emotional control that was lacking. The issue is the emotional weakness he was leveraging against ended up working against him. Anakin was tempted to the dark side because he wanted the power to save the one he loved. In Return of the Jedi, Sidious was killing off his son, someone he probably loved. At that point Sidious lost any leverage he had over Anakin, since Anakin had to kill Sidious in order to save someone he loved. The very weakness he was exploiting could no longer be exploited, so he ended up with one angry guy that was willing to do anything to protect his son.
    Huh. That's a very good point. And makes Anakin's character arc, especially in the prequels, make a whole lot more sense than I was giving it credit.

    Back to the actual comic holy crap, Ben was taking notes on a random improv debate between Annie and the GM? And he kept those notes for years? Or even more improbably, remembered that whole conversation? I'm impressed.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2011-09-19 at 10:54 AM.
    Let's Play Super Robot Wars Alpha


    Spoiler
    Show

    Character avatar of Rin is courtesy of Maestro.
    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Signum Zeichen Nachtgott by Tengu
    SOS Banner by Gorbash Kazdar

    AIM: Nerdorama09

  7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    (...)
    Back to the actual comic holy crap, Ben was taking notes on a random improv debate between Annie and the GM? And he kept those notes for years? Or even more improbably, remembered that whole conversation? I'm impressed.
    Ben is quite an experianced roleplayer and balances fluff with crunch fairly well. I seem to remember, he used some random fluff gain an advantage at least once before, but I can't pinpoint it. Also the glorious begining.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Hands_Of_Blue's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I seem to remember, he used some random fluff gain an advantage at least once before, but I can't pinpoint it.
    This? That's the first one that popped to mind.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post
    This? That's the first one that popped to mind.
    Exactly this.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Holy_Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Wow, today's strip was really good! I loved how Annie "brought the legend to life" both in the game world and metaphorically through her role-playing. That last line was perfect.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Montreal! Quebec! Canada?

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Agreed. A GREAT strip!
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

    "Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus


    Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Feytalist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the big city now
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    The movie is almost over. I can't help but wonder how they're going to tackle the next trilogy.

    Also, am I alone in thinking this fight scene is going on way too long? It's not like anyone else is still going anything, but really now...
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

    From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    The movie is almost over. I can't help but wonder how they're going to tackle the next trilogy.

    Also, am I alone in thinking this fight scene is going on way too long? It's not like anyone else is still going anything, but really now...
    For me, it can take as long as the authors like - every strip is too good to complain.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Scylfing's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    The movie is almost over. I can't help but wonder how they're going to tackle the next trilogy.

    Also, am I alone in thinking this fight scene is going on way too long? It's not like anyone else is still going anything, but really now...
    It's a long movie and a long fight scene, but I think they're at most a week away from "You can't win Anakin, I have the high ground, it gives me +2 to attack rolls."
    Currently playing: Medinah v.2.0; Snapdragon; Mordant

    Thinkerforged avatar by Rowsen.

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    HE IS ON THE HIGH GROUND! Big finish to the fight scene, coming up! I cant wait to see the reaction to anakin losing three out of four limbs in a single (apparent) crit.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ThePhantom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    And now it is time for Ben to get a crit, and put a tempory end to Anakin's rule.

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Aquillion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    I'm curious how they'll explain Obi Wan just leaving him there, rather than finishing him off or taking him in to face justice.

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Fri's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    where the wind blows

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    "I turn a slightly deeper shade of blue."

    Ha! That cackles me up.

    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.
    Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show


    The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    "I turn a slightly deeper shade of blue."

    Ha! That cackles me up.
    I didn't quite get it... it's some reference, right?


    I LOVE inter party conflict. Nothing better than finding an excuse for your party members to argue, not only about loot but also about what's the right choice in a matter. Though, if one is obviously evil it's kind of lame.

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    I'm curious how they'll explain Obi Wan just leaving him there, rather than finishing him off or taking him in to face justice.
    Anakin stabilizes at -9 hp but obiwan figured he didnt have a chance and left?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  21. - Top - End - #321
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    My Lair
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I didn't quite get it... it's some reference, right?
    Nah. (At least, not as far as I can tell.) It's just funny that Jim would roleplay while his character died.
    Notable and Quotable
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofOblivion View Post
    A NE Character with Perform (Sing and Dance).

    That alone pretty much narrows it down to an Evil Bard or a Disney Character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Clearly the solution to everything is to binge on Girlscout cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by nogall View Post
    The Snarl could be a hacker code that became self-conscious, and would start posting gibberish and chaotic lines. But if you click its spoiler tags enough times, it would reveal a meta-fanfiction.

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ThePhantasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Anakin stabilizes at -9 hp but obiwan figured he didnt have a chance and left?
    I bet they'll just say he died. Then, IF he is Vader in the next episodes, they'll do the reveal of his survival via flashback.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

    The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

  23. - Top - End - #323
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    ThePhantom's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Isn't there an appearance by vader near the end (The infamous NO! scene)? Since Annie is a player, wouldn't that scene be shown?

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ThePhantasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Isn't there an appearance by vader near the end (The infamous NO! scene)? Since Annie is a player, wouldn't that scene be shown?
    Not if it is a flashback later. That's what I'm saying. We had a flashback of Darth Maul in Episode II if I recall in the comic.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

    The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BardGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    My Lair
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Not if it is a flashback later. That's what I'm saying. We had a flashback of Darth Maul in Episode II if I recall in the comic.
    Yes, but Darth Maul wasn't a PC.
    Notable and Quotable
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofOblivion View Post
    A NE Character with Perform (Sing and Dance).

    That alone pretty much narrows it down to an Evil Bard or a Disney Character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Clearly the solution to everything is to binge on Girlscout cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by nogall View Post
    The Snarl could be a hacker code that became self-conscious, and would start posting gibberish and chaotic lines. But if you click its spoiler tags enough times, it would reveal a meta-fanfiction.

  26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Feytalist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the big city now
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Heh. This scene kina makes all the others worth it.

    "Is any of this in character?"
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

    From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

  27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ThePhantasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    Yes, but Darth Maul wasn't a PC.
    And Vader might not be either. He doesn't show up for long periods of time in some films. Annie may be playing someone different this go round, or at least at first.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

    The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

  28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mutant Sheep's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagolandia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    I'm going to through this out there. Jar Jar shall be Vader, Boba will be Luke, and Old Ben isn't Obi Wan.
    Warning: I'm bad at making sensical statements. Readers of this post, beware.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

    Many thanks piled to Teddy's Skeetches for custom avatar.

  29. - Top - End - #329
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Holy_Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    I bet they'll just say he died. Then, IF he is Vader in the next episodes, they'll do the reveal of his survival via flashback.
    I'm guessing either this happens, or they make it a real life reason why Ben has to leave all of the sudden. Like, he gets some kind of emergency call or Sally has an accident or something. Either way I'm sure whatever they do will be better than the ridiculous way it played out in the actual movie...

    As far as the mechanics of the limb severing, I'm guessing a crit on Ben's part combined with a critical failure on Anakin's.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

  30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Feytalist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the big city now
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I'm going to through this out there. Jar Jar shall be Vader, Boba will be Luke, and Old Ben isn't Obi Wan.
    Based on the players' personalities, I'd go with:
    Ben being Luke, Jim being Han, Annie being Leia (genders unswapped again, yay) and Pete as R2D2 (obviously) and Sally being C3PO/Chewie/lots of other aliens. I honestly don't see old Obi-Wan or Vader as PC's. PC one game, villian next makes for some nice campaigns.

    Unless some new players are introduced, but somehow I don't see that happening.

    I actually think Ben will let Annie live purposefully. It's in keeping with how he plays his character, at least.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

    From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •