New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

So... why exactly were they kept apart? So no one cpuld find the separated twins...?

Also... always heed the prophecy. But be sure to read the fine print.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    So... why exactly were they kept apart? So no one cpuld find the separated twins...?

Also... always heed the prophecy. But be sure to read the fine print.
    Yeah, keeping them separated made no sense. Especially naming the son SKYWALKER AND PUTTING HIM ON ANAKINS HOME PLANET! /huff /huff Sorry, that just always bugged me. First off, vader didnt know padme had twins right? So keeping them together under a new name would have been a much better disguise than separating them (and putting the son up like they did) I mean, I bet prince luke and princess leia organa would have done just fine on alderan. I
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah, keeping them separated made no sense. Especially naming the son SKYWALKER AND PUTTING HIM ON ANAKINS HOME PLANET! /huff /huff Sorry, that just always bugged me. First off, vader didnt know padme had twins right? So keeping them together under a new name would have been a much better disguise than separating them (and putting the son up like they did) I mean, I bet prince luke and princess leia organa would have done just fine on alderan. I
    Well... it only had to make sense, when they wrote the plot backwards. In the first movie, they weren't even ment to be related. To fill one plot hole, you have to dig another.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

That's because Luke being Vader's son wasn't added until they were making Empire Strikes back. Originally Vader and Anakin Skywalker were two seperate people but the writers thought it would be interesting if they turned out to be the same guy.

Same thing happened with Luke and Leia being related. that wasn't even thought of till Return of the Jedi.

When writers start retconning in the middle of a film series plot holes tend to crop up.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Firbolg in the Playground

The separation makes a bit of sense. Remember, Anakin was an extremely talented Jedi, so much so that people were running around declaring that he would fulfill prophecies and whatnot. It stands to reason that his children would be fairly impressive, too. The surviving Jedi would want to ensure that they'd always have at least one weapon to use against the Sith. Keeping the twins together puts all their eggs in one basket: If Vader finds them, their new hope is done for. Keeping them separate is safer: If Vader deals with one twin, he won't suspect that there's a second backup twin waiting in the wings.

The actual execution of that separation is a bit less logical, of course. Bail Organa was an outspoken critic of Palpatine's expansions of the executive branch and the formation of the Empire. He'd be first on the list when the Emperor started feeling paranoid. As for Luke, even given the EU justification that Vader will avoid Tatooine because of its emotional significance, he'd have been safer on a random Outer Rim planet. Vader could get over his issues, or the Emperor could personally look into his apprentice's old life out of paranoia. Far better to store him somewhere the Sith won't even notice than somewhere they'll notice but avoid. And, really, what's with letting him know his father's name?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Bugbear in the Playground

They're separated because these are PCs, not Family and Children Services.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    That's because Luke being Vader's son wasn't added until they were making Empire Strikes back. Originally Vader and Anakin Skywalker were two seperate people but the writers thought it would be interesting if they turned out to be the same guy.

Same thing happened with Luke and Leia being related. that wasn't even thought of till Return of the Jedi.

When writers start retconning in the middle of a film series plot holes tend to crop up.
    Under those circumstances, I think they really did it quite well. That Luke had Anakins family name was the one big problem. That Obi-Wan went into hiding using his own name was stupid, but that was stupid even in the first movie all by itself and not a continuity issue.

When it got really bad was in the prequel trilogy.

Owen and Beru knew about Anakin. That didn't mean that Anakin had to actually be a native of Tatooine at all.

So Leia was adopted by an alderaanian senator, but this doesn't have to mean that said senator was the leader of the opposition faction in the parliament.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Had no problem with Obiwan using his old name. I mean who really knew it.

Luke Owen and Beru. We don't know that anyone else knew about the old Hermit named Ben.

Owen and Beru knew because Ben worked with Anakin. As far as we know one one else in the galaxy knew Ben lived there.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Had no problem with Obiwan using his old name. I mean who really knew it.
    About everyone who was looking for him knew his last name was Kenobi.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Tattoine is Hutt space. The Republic doesn't exist out there and even when the Empire eventually moves in, they've got their hands full with the local thugs, smugglers and other undesirables that inhabit population centres like Mos Eisley.

I'm sure that moisture farmers who live out in the sticks and crazy old hermits who live in sand people territory barely show up as a blip on the local stormtrooper garrion's radar (awesome fan parody videos aside).

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Also, Tattoine is Hutt space. The Republic doesn't exist out there and even when the Empire eventually moves in, they've got their hands full with the local thugs, smugglers and other undesirables that inhabit population centres like Mos Eisley.

I'm sure that moisture farmers who live out in the sticks and crazy old hermits who live in sand people territory barely show up as a blip on the local stormtrooper garrion's radar (awesome fan parody videos aside).
    Is that the one with the architect who loses his arm in a stupid misunderstanding with Luke?

12. - Top - End - #522

Under those circumstances, I think they really did it quite well. That Luke had Anakins family name was the one big problem. That Obi-Wan went into hiding using his own name was stupid, but that was stupid even in the first movie all by itself and not a continuity issue.

When it got really bad was in the prequel trilogy.

Owen and Beru knew about Anakin. That didn't mean that Anakin had to actually be a native of Tatooine at all.
    Wasnt owen married to anakins mother or something like that? I know he was connected to anakins mom somehow, wether it was him or his brother who married her, or his father for all I know. Anakin was most likely born on tattoine, his mother was a slave, it seems unlikely she would have wandered about the galaxy, gotten knocked up by the force, given birth, landed in hutt space, then been enslaved. Thats the sort of backstory that gets mentioned, you know?

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Is that the one with the architect who loses his arm in a stupid misunderstanding with Luke?
    Not heard of that one, but Troops was the one I was thinking of.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    About everyone who was looking for him knew his last name was Kenobi.
    No I mean who other than the Lars family knew that the weird old guy living in the wilds was named Kenobi. He didn't seem like the sort that was going out to hang with people. maby he only told them and no one else.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

No I mean who other than the Lars family knew that the weird old guy living in the wilds was named Kenobi. He didn't seem like the sort that was going out to hang with people. maby he only told them and no one else.
    But Luke knew ("You mean old Ben Kenobi?"), regularly traveled into town, and didn't know it was something that had to be kept a secret.

It wouldn't have been that hard to tell Luke that his name was Ben Smith or something.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2011-11-02 at 12:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    So Leia was adopted by an alderaanian senator, but this doesn't have to mean that said senator was the leader of the opposition faction in the parliament.
    To be fair, that's not just the idea the prequels came up with... Well, OK, novels-Bail-Organa was just a key member of the Rebels, but he was about as key as you get.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Today's comic reminded me of one of the things I REALLY hated as a GM... having my NPCs talk to each other. Talking to yourself is such an annoying thing to do...

18. - Top - End - #528

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Today's comic reminded me of one of the things I REALLY hated as a GM... having my NPCs talk to each other. Talking to yourself is such an annoying thing to do...
    Best argument for co-dms ever. :p At least then you have someone to talk to.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Woah, wait a minute here. Is this implying that Bubble really was a traitor?!
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

20. - Top - End - #530
    Barbarian in the Playground

how could you doubt the traitorship of bubble?
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

21. - Top - End - #531
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    Woah, wait a minute here. Is this implying that Bubble really was a traitor?!
    He's worse than a traitor. He's a politician.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    He's worse than a traitor. He's a politician.

Bloody hell you're right, I was so distracted by all the goatee talk that I forgot all about that.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

I watched the original trilogy... one week ago? Two?

Now that I know who he is, I'm starting to like the D&D version of Bail. I wonder if whoever plays Leia will give a feeble attempt at mimicking his slang.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

Whoa. I'd forgotten about this part in the movie.

They did have some amazing backdrops in this trilogy, didn't they?
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

And that's pretty much the only thing they did right.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

Wow... our gaming group seems to be special... Our GM (and me when I was GMing) would separate us all the time to discuss stuff ij private or groups but we never had any problems... in fact we made our Monthy Python jokes and other annoying stuff while the GM was gone not to disturbt the game. Wow, we were good players... I need a new group

27. - Top - End - #537
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, this seems to confirm that Anakin will be Vader. And this is also a bit creepy, a definate sign at Anakin has gone off the deep end.

28. - Top - End - #538

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Well, this seems to confirm that Anakin will be Vader. And this is also a bit creepy, a definate sign at Anakin has gone off the deep end.
    Im just interested to see what kind of character vader is going to be. I mean, just because he was the dragon in the actual movies, doesnt mean he will be that way in the game here. I honestly have no idea where they are going with this.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah. And simple crushes turn into uncomfortable incest-laden moments.
    Santa4me.com: personalized, one of a kind letters from Santa Claus!

Loaded Dice
    : A D&D webcomic, updating on Mondays and Thursdays

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder how they will handle the Luke/Leia kiss since all of the players know Luke and Leia are related.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!