New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

What happened during the in between episode they're talking about? Was there anything important in it that we should know?

2. - Top - End - #752
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    Chewie could go numerous directions though; could be a new player, could be an NPC, could be Sally switching characters again, heck it could even be Pete making a new combat monster character (who still can't speak) because he's fed up with not getting his precious dreadnaught he so clearly deserves.
    The Pete/Sally relation and the Chewie/3PO relation would make sense that way, but Pete isn't really someone to switch characters alot. So I guess Pete will just stay R2 and Sally takes Chewie. She invented the Wookiees, so she would probably be the one to introduce him.
    GM: You meet Han Solo in the Mos Eisley Cantina.
    Sally: He has a pet! A very big dog, with a crossbow. He could be a Wookiee!
    Others: What's a Wookiee?
    Sally: Yoda went to help them against the clones, remember?

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Obi-Wan is Ben's character. Ben has played Obi-Wan continuously since the first strip and has never played another character - why do you think he'll stop now?
    What he said makes sense timing wise... Annie would play two characters for a short while but otherwise it makes sense. I'm not convinced but it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias2207 View Post
    The Pete/Sally relation and the Chewie/3PO relation would make sense that way, but Pete isn't really someone to switch characters alot. So I guess Pete will just stay R2 and Sally takes Chewie. She invented the Wookiees, so she would probably be the one to introduce him.
    GM: You meet Han Solo in the Mos Eisley Cantina.
    Sally: He has a pet! A very big dog, with a crossbow. He could be a Wookiee!
    Others: What's a Wookiee?
    Sally: Yoda went to help them against the clones, remember?
    Makes sense, too. At least Sally os the most likely to bring in a Wookie. Though I'm not sure if he'd be a player or a NPC/companion kind character.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Obi-Wan is Ben's character. Ben has played Obi-Wan continuously since the first strip and has never played another character - why do you think he'll stop now?
    That's what I'm thinking. Ben will be away from the game for some reason until we hit Tatooine.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #755
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. Ben will be away from the game for some reason until we hit Tatooine.
    Won't be much longer. There are only a few minutes of movie footage left on the Tantive IV before the droids' escape pod hits the desert.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

You're right that Obi-Wan is and always has been Ben's character, but then one of the two of Jim and Annie would have to miss out on the game for at least one session, which is certainly possible and whoever it is that doesn't play Luke (I'm guessing Jim) will play Han.

The only reason I would guess otherwise is maybe they don't expect Ben to come back to the game anytime soon--it was alluded to that he's having identity problems related to his chosen field of study, which might detract from his gaming.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Chewbacca=Han's Animal Companion
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Colossus in the Playground

Chewbacca is Pete wanting to play more of a role in combat, since R2 doesn't get to do much of anything in the original trilogy. Enormous strength, powerful weapon, obscure race, low-impact flaw(can't talk)? Sounds like an optimizer to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #759
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wish that there had been a little bit more setup to this for who is what and where, overall. And how much real life time was between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sure they'll work it into the strip, as they did with the gaps between the first movies. We'll find out what happened soon enough
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    I wish that there had been a little bit more setup to this for who is what and where, overall. And how much real life time was between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
    Since when has blatant exposition been superior to sublte one? We'll find out as the plot goes on.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ogre in the Playground

We know who Jim is (er... was) so that's all that really matters.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

13. - Top - End - #763

Wow, five characters in five sessions, has Jim being rolling up a new character each session? At least this time he should last longer.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Now we know it is several years later. I wonder what Jim and Annie's relationship is like this point. Are they married? Not? They seem to be on friendly terms...

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Now we know it is several years later. I wonder what Jim and Annie's relationship is like this point. Are they married? Not? They seem to be on friendly terms...
    Marriage seems like quite a big step. I'm more curious how a more mature Sally will act.

But yeah, either the GM is pretty vruel or Jim doesn't really care for his characters.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    But yeah, either the GM is pretty cruel or Jim doesn't really care for his characters.
    The GM seemed to be trying to give Jim an out before. It's more likely Jim is deliberately getting them all killed in hopes of impressing Annie (hence why she said what good roleplaying it was.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2012-02-01 at 02:56 AM.

17. - Top - End - #767

I have the feeling that ben is going to have more of an impact in the beginning sequences than obi wan did in the movie, and that he IS there, biding his time.

also, I really hope for a, "we're meeting at the tavern, really?" joke when Han comes into play.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

New comic.

Hmm. Does Han count as having a "really detailed background"?

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    New comic.

Hmm. Does Han count as having a "really detailed background"?
    He does, since his past does come back to bite him throughout the campaign (lost Jabba's cargo, being sort of friends with Lando).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, Han's got a fairly detailed in-movie background compared to most SW characters.

Is Sally being C3PO? She doesn't have some of her usual quirks it seems but it is several years later... I'm still wondering if a new player might not get brought in at some point.

EDIT: Nevermind... I see the (partial) cast page is up now.
    Last edited by ThePhantasm; 2012-01-31 at 07:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #771

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    He does, since his past does come back to bite him throughout the campaign (lost Jabba's cargo, being sort of friends with Lando).
    Ah but that only really works if Jim remembers all this. I bet he is floored everyt ime it happens. "Wait, what?! Why the hell is the giant slug after me?" "How did I manage to make friends with the only surviving black guy in the universe?"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

22. - Top - End - #772

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ah but that only really works if Jim remembers all this. I bet he is floored everyt ime it happens. "Wait, what?! Why the hell is the giant slug after me?" "How did I manage to make friends with the only surviving black guy in the universe?"
    Made of WIN! I think it will be awesome whether Jim or Ben is Han.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

23. - Top - End - #773

The reason why this happens is Jim gets Annie to write his backstory. he comes up with the idea of his scoundrel with a blaster, and has annie fill in the blanks, "So he has a rich character background" But of course he never reads it, since its only there for him to not die quickly. So the dm keeps grabbing stuff out of this quite frankly awesome back story and uses it as plot hooks.

Of course, all this is assuming the characters are even relatively close to canon. Remember darth maul the detective? Darth tyrannus the guy trying to expose the evil emperor? Greivous the batspit crazy cyborg? For all we know, Jabba is an old friend of the family trying to help them all escape, lando is the hidden sith apprentice, and greedo is trying to track down anakin to get revenge for his little brother that died all those years ago, and thinks luke is the link he needs to find him.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #774

Of course, all this is assuming the characters are even relatively close to canon. Remember darth maul the detective? Darth tyrannus the guy trying to expose the evil emperor? Greivous the batspit crazy cyborg? For all we know, Jabba is an old friend of the family trying to help them all escape, lando is the hidden sith apprentice, and greedo is trying to track down anakin to get revenge for his little brother that died all those years ago, and thinks luke is the link he needs to find him.
    Don't forget Valorum! Such a good lead up to being Greivous.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

I was sort of hoping that now that we're back on the Episodes with a semblance of good plot, they would get back to the (IMO far more funny) method of using the roleplaying framework to explain all the wacky stuff that actually went on in the movies. This is as opposed to the last few bits, where in reality they've basically been telling a different story while using Star Wars screen-caps and an RPG to prop up an alternative (and IMO less funny) storyline.
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

26. - Top - End - #776

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    I was sort of hoping that now that we're back on the Episodes with a semblance of good plot, they would get back to the (IMO far more funny) method of using the roleplaying framework to explain all the wacky stuff that actually went on in the movies. This is as opposed to the last few bits, where in reality they've basically been telling a different story while using Star Wars screen-caps and an RPG to prop up an alternative (and IMO less funny) storyline.
    In reality, it started going off the rails all the way back at the gungan city with THE LOST ORB OF PHANTASAMAGORIA!!!! That ended up being the macguffin for the whole storyline. And every time a new story started up, we were back on the more or less canon storyline, but it quickly jumped off the rails and everything was different.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

In reality, it started going off the rails all the way back at the gungan city with THE LOST ORB OF PHANTASAMAGORIA!!!! That ended up being the macguffin for the whole storyline. And every time a new story started up, we were back on the more or less canon storyline, but it quickly jumped off the rails and everything was different.
    That's The Lost Orb of Phanastacoria. One person talking about Cheddar monks is enough.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

28. - Top - End - #778

Except that C3P0 got into the escape pod willingly, R2 being much less cryptic, and Leia's ship attacking Darth Vader's, rather than the other way around, I think they have been doing a marvelous job explaining what happens at the beginning of Star Wars with a minimum of fuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Back on that theme with this latest strip.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

"Good idea, that man."

I chuckled.

The names of those two NPCs, are they canon? Or were they just made up for the purposes of the strip?