New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    "Good news, everyone!" I love that they included that line.

I also just noticed that they didn't put in the "what if Futurama didn't exist" bit that they've put in all the other ones so far.
    This bit always came, when they had the next bonus strip ready. Mostly because of the "The Comic Irregulars exist and are making a screencap comic based X" line.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, that'll come up at strip 750.

I like how the diverging universes slowly get weirder and weirder. I mean, "Nerdy guys make YouTube videos of themselves performing cheerleader moves instead of driving locomotives into ravines." Certainly a less expensive and dangerous hobby could have been derived from the BttF series! (That line started as "Nerdy guys make YouTube videos of themselves wielding crossbows instead of lightsabres." I guess the BttF equivalent to pretending to have a lightsabre would have been pretending to have a hoverboard?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #903
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Yeah, that'll come up at strip 750.

I like how the diverging universes slowly get weirder and weirder. I mean, "Nerdy guys make YouTube videos of themselves performing cheerleader moves instead of driving locomotives into ravines." Certainly a less expensive and dangerous hobby could have been derived from the BttF series! (That line started as "Nerdy guys make YouTube videos of themselves wielding crossbows instead of lightsabres." I guess the BttF equivalent to pretending to have a lightsabre would have been pretending to have a hoverboard?)
    Considering, that each level deeper removes another classic (or at least well known) movie, subsequent universes diverge more and more from our reality.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    This bit always came, when they had the next bonus strip ready. Mostly because of the "The Comic Irregulars exist and are making a screencap comic based X" line.
    Oh, I see. So they update it retroactively.

To think that, soon, there will be no popular culture works left in that universe! Heh.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

5. - Top - End - #905
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

We don't know that - the universe where there is no Jaws might still have the Alien movies.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh, I see. So they update it retroactively.

To think that, soon, there will be no popular culture works left in that universe! Heh.
    "The Comic Irregulars exist and are making a screencap comic based on Star Wars."
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

I browsed through the archives and I'm a bit sad they recycled some of the jokes... meh, it's not too bad (in the "What if" strips, that is.

But they got Corey as a new player in the Futurama strip, yay.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Troll in the Playground

New strip.

Six years is quite long. Longest my games lasted was about a year of weekly playing.

I just cannot get over how goofy Mark Hamill looks.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

It's nice to see Corey is actually playing along. I was expecting him to spend at least his first session being all "Blargh this is stupid", but he's actually getting it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #910

6 years does seem really long. I don't think we've actually seen anywhere near 6 years worth of sessions. Each movie has maybe 5 or 6 sessions in it (judging by the DM saying 'Let's go home folks') unless I'm horribly misremembering. Even stretching that out to 8, and making it a biweekly game instead of a weekly one, that's 4 months per movie, so a little over a year total so far. I know they've played other campaigns between... but 6 years seems hard to believe. It seems more like 2 or 3 at most.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

11. - Top - End - #911
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    6 years does seem really long. I don't think we've actually seen anywhere near 6 years worth of sessions. Each movie has maybe 5 or 6 sessions in it (judging by the DM saying 'Let's go home folks') unless I'm horribly misremembering. Even stretching that out to 8, and making it a biweekly game instead of a weekly one, that's 4 months per movie, so a little over a year total so far. I know they've played other campaigns between... but 6 years seems hard to believe. It seems more like 2 or 3 at most.
    I dunno, a lot of the "lets go home" comments tend to happen when bad stuff occurs. Big fights or whatever between players, that sort of thing. They may take far more frequent breaks than that and its just not commented on because they can pick up seamlessly from where they left off. But yeah, I think there was at least 2-3 "off screen" campaigns run over the course of the prequels. So that suggests that they took breaks over the course of this huge campaign.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, sux years is awfully long... also, what do they mean "this game"? Obviously they played other campaigns, apparently with different mechanics in the mean time... color me confused...

First edition... er.. okay, I won't start a edition discussion here and now.

13. - Top - End - #913

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I dunno, a lot of the "lets go home" comments tend to happen when bad stuff occurs. Big fights or whatever between players, that sort of thing. They may take far more frequent breaks than that and its just not commented on because they can pick up seamlessly from where they left off. But yeah, I think there was at least 2-3 "off screen" campaigns run over the course of the prequels. So that suggests that they took breaks over the course of this huge campaign.
    It seems like there's been one offscreen campaign for every onscreen campaign, and over the course of the onscreen one we get hints about what happened in the timegap. But assuming the offscreen campaign is roughly the same length, that gets the ~2 year guestimate.

I suppose it is possible that they are taking more frequent breaks that aren't being mentioned, but I really don't see it. While it is taking years to unfold for us, they really haven't done enough to warrant that many breaks unless they play in like 2 hour sessions or something.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems like there's been one offscreen campaign for every onscreen campaign, and over the course of the onscreen one we get hints about what happened in the timegap. But assuming the offscreen campaign is roughly the same length, that gets the ~2 year guestimate.

I suppose it is possible that they are taking more frequent breaks that aren't being mentioned, but I really don't see it. While it is taking years to unfold for us, they really haven't done enough to warrant that many breaks unless they play in like 2 hour sessions or something.
    Didn't they say they ran other Star Wars campaigns between SW3 and the current campaign? It sounded like they did 2-3 of those at least, so you should add them to your calculations.

15. - Top - End - #915

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Didn't they say they ran other Star Wars campaigns between SW3 and the current campaign? It sounded like they did 2-3 of those at least, so you should add them to your calculations.
    That's true, if they did the clone wars tv shows, each season is as long as the 3 movies we covered already combined. I could see that making up the difference.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

That's true, if they did the clone wars tv shows, each season is as long as the 3 movies we covered already combined. I could see that making up the difference.
    Perhaps the CGI would be explained as a different rules set?

17. - Top - End - #917
    Banned

I'm wondering if the writers forgot that the strip is supposed to be funny. Maybe it's just me...but hasn't it been kinda boring for a while now?
    Last edited by Anteros; 2012-03-20 at 04:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I'm wondering if the writers forgot that the strip is supposed to be funny. Maybe it's just me...but hasn't it been kinda boring for a while now?
    It's like OotS. It started out as mostly jokes and rules with some plot (although I think it started with more plot than OotS, but that just might be because it's based off something else and has to end up in the same place somehow), but as time progressed, jokes started playing second fiddle and anything that would be there for the sake of a joke is not good. Except I think this follows the rules of the game more closely than OotS too, since they're actually playing the game.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

Shamus Young adressed this when he was making DM of the rings. When you are making a screencap comic then after some time you have to choose between moving the plot forward or making a joke and it becomes rarer and rarer that you can do both in one strip.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Along with the things others said..
    I'm still having fun with the comic.

21. - Top - End - #921

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm still having fun with the comic.
    Same here. For me most of the fun nowadays comes with watching the players (rather than the player characters, or the jokes). I want to see what they'll do with the story.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Further to the above, the original trilogy is more tightly scripted than the prequel, so I'd be surprised if we get any more summon big fish/summon bigger fish antics.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Troll in the Playground

Man, I just realised there are three different stories being told here:

The actual Star Wars storyline (via the screenshots);
    the one that the players think is happening;
    and the one that is actually happening.

I was halfway expecting the DM to go "hang on, you actually listened to all that?"

And now I want Jim to explain his version of the story

24. - Top - End - #924

Man, I just realised there are three different stories being told here:

The actual Star Wars storyline (via the screenshots);
    the one that the players think is happening;
    and the one that is actually happening.

I was halfway expecting the DM to go "hang on, you actually listened to all that?"

And now I want Jim to explain his version of the story
    Sally is Ben's sister. Ben was always paying enough attention to the campaign intros to know what was going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Pixie in the Playground

The 6 years are a combination of this, this, and this.

In short, Episode I, then a 2-year break while they played other games, Episode II, another 2-year break, Episode III, 2-year break, and now Episode IV.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

It is. Adam bores me... The last few days, I only looked at the new comics, saw that it's all a wall f text to make another boring Adam joke, and didn't read it.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-03-23 at 08:27 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

27. - Top - End - #927
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    It is. Adam bores me... The last few days, I only looked at the new comics, saw that it's all a wall f text to make another boring Adam joke, and didn't read it.
    I thought it was a wall of text to poke fun at the flagrant exposition of stuff the audience had never seen or heard of before in Episode IV.

And also to set up more plot-change twists later, I suppose.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

Adam knows only video games. That joke wasn't funny once, and it's not getting funnier making it five times in a row.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

29. - Top - End - #929
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I though the player's name was Corey.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Troll in the Playground

I like him. I find the videogame gags pretty funny.
    Truth resists simplicity.