New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

The more likely explanation is that Palpatine knew he couldn't beat Mace, and was only trying to hold him off as long as possible until Anakin arrived. And he knew Anakin would come.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thalnawr View Post
    Would you honestly fight any less than your best, when facing someone who's known to be the best swordsman of the Jedi Order?
    Depends on what id have to gain from throwing the fight. Lets look at it logically, 9 times out of 10, if someone surrenders, a jedi will accept that surrender. So if all palpy did was fight a defensive battle after killing all of maces support, he could hold out until anakin got there and bring us to the moment of truth. If worse came to worse, he could have surrendered and set up the choice in another way.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sunday's episode is going to be number 600. Which is a multiple of 50, so don't forget to check here (the chain is starting to get really long).
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    They got that way because they got knocked back out of melee range
    How? This is my issue.
    I'm not saying it's completely unbelievable it could happen, bt from the way the duel was going, I can't see how it would. It seems to me those making the film didn't know either, so they just had it happen off-screen.

And it WAS a loss. Yoda had to retreat, Sidious is still alive and in control of the empire, Yoda lost.
    No, it was a draw. Neither of them beat the other, and by the end both were disarmed and fairly worn out. This doesn't really match up to Yoda declaring he's failed and must go into exile. There's nothing to stop him trying again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Lastly, look at the attempt to arrest Palpatine. Mace Windu brought along four Jedi Masters so they could all gang up on him, and they all die in the first thirty seconds so that he can have a dramatic duel with Palpatine. Which he loses.
    Actually he won, but then there was a sudden reversal brought about by the arrival of Anakin. Which, given Anakin's allegiances were blurry at that point, could be seen as playing the system. By turning up to support Mace, he ensured Palpatine's victory. By helping Palpatine, he ensured his victory even more!
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

5. - Top - End - #95

No, it was a draw. Neither of them beat the other, and by the end both were disarmed and fairly worn out. This doesn't really match up to Yoda declaring he's failed and must go into exile. There's nothing to stop him trying again tomorrow.
    No, it was a loss, yoda only had one shot to try and sneak in to kill palpatine. Up until he made his move, the emperor didnt know he was still alive, or that he intended to come back and kill the sith lord. Now he is on his guard and everyone in coruscant is looking for a little green man who tried to assassinate the emperor. Strictly speaking from a combat standpoint it was a draw, but as far as end results go, it was a loss by yoda, because he failed to kill the sith lord, and now he will have an entire empire hunting him down. Palpatine is the winner because he is still the emperor, still in command, and still alive. It isnt a total victory, since yoda escaped, but it was still far more heavily slanted in his favor than yodas.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    The more reasonable explanation is that Yoda realizes that ganging up on someone in a lightsaber duel never works out. The laws of dramatics in Star Wars clearly favor single combat, and bringing more along is just asking for trouble.
    Alternatively, Yoda could have felt that a two-on-one fight was "dishonorable"
    and worse, as a Jedi Master bringing a subordinate along smacked too much of "the Sith way." Rememeber the Sith always came in pairs - Master and Apprentice, so I can see him declaring "That the Jedi way is not!" Proving once again the whole Jedi Order is Lawful Stupid.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought I read somewhere that Puppeteen became as powerful as he did by making a lot of clones of himself and absorbing their essences (as well as a whole lot of people that he killed), that it was the equivalent of living a hundred lifetimes or something to that effect. That's probably just an EU exaggeration, but we know from ROTS that he and his master before him were concerned with longevity and avoiding death. I imagine the combination of that and the cloning wasn't accidental.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Alternatively, Yoda could have felt that a two-on-one fight was "dishonorable"
    and worse, as a Jedi Master bringing a subordinate along smacked too much of "the Sith way." Rememeber the Sith always came in pairs - Master and Apprentice, so I can see him declaring "That the Jedi way is not!" Proving once again the whole Jedi Order is Lawful Stupid.
    Well, except the jedi have a padawaan with them most of the time (or that's what Obi-wan and Qui-Gon made us believe) and do fight in pairs about as often as not. Palpatine as the evil emperor was the far bigger threat to the galaxy so they should have focused on him. Anakin wouldn't have been an issue afterwards, probably.

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, except the jedi have a padawaan with them most of the time (or that's what Obi-wan and Qui-Gon made us believe) and do fight in pairs about as often as not. Palpatine as the evil emperor was the far bigger threat to the galaxy so they should have focused on him. Anakin wouldn't have been an issue afterwards, probably.
    Thats actually a good point. At that part of the story, anakin wasnt much more than a rogue jedi. Hell, he was in the process of shutting down the entire evil rebellion. He didnt have the capability of being more than a dangerous single person, since he didnt have the intelligence to try and take control, the connections to pull it off, or the allies to protect him from retribution.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Thats actually a good point. At that part of the story, anakin wasnt much more than a rogue jedi. Hell, he was in the process of shutting down the entire evil rebellion. He didnt have the capability of being more than a dangerous single person, since he didnt have the intelligence to try and take control, the connections to pull it off, or the allies to protect him from retribution.
    Exactly. Anakin wasn't in any official position of power. He led troops into the temple, sure, but his function at this time seems to have been more like an assassin (see Mustafar). If the Emperor had been defeated Anakin's right to power would have been dubious at best. Yoda and Obi-Wan (who is also said to be one of the order's best fighters, according to the EU) should have focused on Palpatine together. They had the element of surprise. Yoda came close to beating Palpatine on his own. Obi-Wan has had unique experience battling a Sith (both Maul and Dooku) so he would be aware of what they are capable of to an extent that the other Jedi who Sidious took down were not.

When fighting Mace and the other Jedi, Palpatine seems to make a Force Scream while spinning through the air. In the EU Force Scream has the ability to break an opponent's concentration and control over the Force temporarily. It clearly broke through the mental defenses of all the Jedi except Mace Windu. However, I think Obi-Wan has learned from his encounters with Sith that concentration and patience is key to victory (he learned this in his fight against Maul and tried to remind Anakin of this against Dooku). I suspect that Obi-Wan would have sufficient focus to withstand a Force Scream. Obi-Wan would then be able to face Palpatine as a swordsman only slightly less powerful than Mace Windu - this coupled with Yoda's help would have been too much for Palpatine too withstand.

On its own, the movie doesn't work, and I think even in EU terms its logic doesn't work.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

11. - Top - End - #101

Had they concentrated on palpatine, anakin would have been left adrift. He had only just made his choice. He was no longer a jedi, but he had no idea on how to be a sith. He wouldnt have even known where to BEGIN finding sith techniques, let alone the one he went evil for, a way to save padme. Im seeing a blind rage berserker anakin going around trying to kill everyone he blames for costing padme her life. (if she died) Im also picturing him dying quickly, as he is jedi trained, and blind rage doesnt work too well for them. As a fully trained sith he would know how to use it, but he isnt a trained sith, so it would make him weak and easily killed.

Or he would be sort of another Aurra Sing. A bounty hunter with jedi training. Constantly being hunted by the jedi order for his massacre of the younglings, and hunted by the entire republic for the same reasons. But I tend to think he would only go that route if he survived his blind rage reaction to learning that palpatine is dead.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Obi-Wan's expression at the end of today's strip was fantastic.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Obi-Wan's expression at the end of today's strip was fantastic.
    hm? Are you a strip behind? Today's ended with... well, it was all Annie monologueing in a very... clicheed fashion.

14. - Top - End - #104

He posted before the strip was up, so yeah, one strip behind.

Suddenly, Pirates!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

15. - Top - End - #105

Oh god, I think he has caught the Grievous infection. If he starts talking about butterflys and such, I may have to root for obi wan to win.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    hm? Are you a strip behind? Today's ended with... well, it was all Annie monologueing in a very... clicheed fashion.
    Oops, so I was.

On another note, as cool as the effects are in the Star Wars movies, something looks off with that sky that Anakin is looking at. Weird clash of the sun's yellow (is that an eclipse?) and the lava's red. Looks kinda fake.
    Last edited by ThePhantasm; 2011-07-24 at 08:58 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, Jim has played a girl eight times now, counting all the Episode 50 joke comics. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow, just wow. I love how they put the images with Annie's speech to perfection. Excellent work.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    You know, Jim has played a girl eight times now, counting all the Episode 50 joke comics. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Jim tends to be given roles where the canonical character's demeanour is anything but the enthusiastic shoot-first-ask-questions-later-and-on-a-totally-unrelated-topic persona that Jim's characters tend to have, though often characters who do get action parts later in the film/series. Most of such being female makes sense, methinks.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    Jim tends to be given roles where the canonical character's demeanour is anything but the enthusiastic shoot-first-ask-questions-later-and-on-a-totally-unrelated-topic persona that Jim's characters tend to have, though often characters who do get action parts later in the film/series. Most of such being female makes sense, methinks.
    Oh I'm not complaining, I think it's hilarious and you're right, it does make sense. I just think it's noteworthy since Jim is the worst roleplayer of the bunch, yet he's often doing what's regarded as one of the most difficult things to pull off successfully, which is playing a character of the opposite sex.
    Last edited by Dacia Brabant; 2011-07-24 at 07:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    Oh I'm not complaining, I think it's hilarious and you're right, it does make sense. I just think it's noteworthy since Jim is the worst roleplayer of the bunch, yet he's often doing what's regarded as one of the most difficult things to pull off successfully, which is playing a character of the opposite sex.
    That's because he plays the exact same carbon-copy violence-happy psychopath every time; man, woman, robot, or stuffed animal, it'd still be Jim.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Wow, just wow. I love how they put the images with Annie's speech to perfection. Excellent work.
    I love it as well. I also love how much more effective this is at conveying an emotion than, say, the same scene in the movie.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    That's because he plays the exact same carbon-copy violence-happy psychopath every time; man, woman, robot, or stuffed animal, it'd still be Jim.
    So who are we betting on Jim playing in Episode 4?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    So who are we betting on Jim playing in Episode 4?
    My money is on Luke.

No, Sally playing Leia is way more potential laden than Annie playing Leia. After all, who else is going to drop "no, I'm his sister" besides Sally?

Edit: Sorry for the non-sequiter. I have no clue how I made that jump.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2011-07-24 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like Annie would play Han for some reason. Though Jim could pull that one off.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I feel like Annie would play Han for some reason. Though Jim could pull that one off.
    For some reason, I have a feeling that we won't be seeing Annie much after Episode III. It seems like the plot's building up to the "Annie/Anakin getting pissed at Jim/Padme" climax both IC and OOC, with the whole pregnancy thing.

Now that I think about it, that doesn't seem right, but it's my gut reaction that Annie leaves the group.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    My money is on Luke.

No, Sally playing Leia is way more potential laden than Annie playing Leia. After all, who else is going to drop "no, I'm his sister" besides Sally?

Edit: Sorry for the non-sequiter. I have no clue how I made that jump.
    If Ben is to play Obi-Wan in the original trilogy, then him switching to Leia makes the most sense - she is the one who joins the main party as it is when he dies. Then again, she is the first main character to pop up, so I guess her being a PC from the start makes a certain amount of sense. Of course, who's to say that we won't get some new players somewhere along the line?

I am still fairly sure of my own theories regarding Annie and the GM, of course.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Roboto View Post
    For some reason, I have a feeling that we won't be seeing Annie much after Episode III. It seems like the plot's building up to the "Annie/Anakin getting pissed at Jim/Padme" climax both IC and OOC, with the whole pregnancy thing.

Now that I think about it, that doesn't seem right, but it's my gut reaction that Annie leaves the group.
    Hmm... That does seem quite fitting. But which characters should be PCs? R2-D2 is an easy one, as Pete already plays him and he'd be returning. I'm not sure that Sally would return to playing C3PO or that she would play any of the characters I can think of. Jim playing Leia would be pretty hilarious, though he could also play Han and be in-character. I feel like Obi-Wan will be an NPC and they'll later find out that he's supposed to be Ben's character from earlier, though Ben could play him again and get transferred to another character after he gets killed. That leaves too many characters not getting played... I mean, Han and Chewwy are both playable in addition to the 5 characters already mentioned, and I think Han definitely has to be a PC.

I feel like Leia would be a fine NPC for Episode IV, as she barely does anything in that movie that requires being a PC. She does spend the first part of the movie captured and the last part hoping everyone else will succeed, which would be pretty boring to RP.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

I think Jim would be a good Leia, with her blasting stuff all the time even though she's a princess vibe.

Ben should be Obi-Wan at least for the first film. After that... I don't know.

Pete should remain R2D2.

Sally, I suspect, will be C3PO.

Annie will be Vader? Or Luke?

Not sure who should be Han. Maybe there will be a new player?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Roboto View Post

I disagree. We've been assuming for a long time that the end of Ep3, where the characters all end up against one another, is mirrored by the players all turning against one another. However, some of the more recent strips have suggested that, in fact, Ben, Annie and Jim are all enjoying the imminent player vs. player conflict.

My guess is that Annie and Ben have a really good time playing out Obi-Wan and Anakin's climactic battle (judging by all the ridiculous stunts that they pull), and that Padme's death will not be something that Jim can blame on Annie - maybe she chokes on poisonous fumes rather than it being Anakin's direct fault.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.