New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

Regarding today's comic... I like to make my characters orphans. It makes things so much easier

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

How old do you have to be to no longer be considered an orphan when both your parents are dead?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

You never stop being an orphan. Unless you get adopted or something, then I consider that the same as a widow who remarries. An orphan who gets adopted no longer is an orphan in my book, and a remarried woman is no longer a widow.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    You never stop being an orphan. Unless you get adopted or something, then I consider that the same as a widow who remarries. An orphan who gets adopted no longer is an orphan in my book, and a remarried woman is no longer a widow.
    Right, you never stop being an orphan. But what is the cut off point between "orphan" and "person who's parents are dead?"

For instance: Are you an orphan if both your parents die when you're 10? 15? 40? At what point do you no longer become an orphan with your parent's death?

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Depending on the kid's life choices, for me it's between 18 and 25ish. Basically, if the kid had established his own independent adult identity, he's not an orphan.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

So the reason I ask...Is Anakin an orphan?

7. - Top - End - #217

Hes still an orphan. He is someone with no parents, its just not a term usually applied to an adult as its deemed less important. (Not having parents at 10 is a big deal, not having parent at 30? Not so big) Anakin is a married man with a kid of his own on the way, I think referring to him as an orphan is a bit odd, even if it is accurate.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Regarding today's comic... I like to make my characters orphans. It makes things so much easier
    Which is why I don't. I like a character who is part of the world, who has responsibilities and connections, loved ones and ties. Even though it makes things potentially painful, that's actually the point.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2011-08-27 at 09:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Which is why I don't. I like a character who is part of the world, who has responsibilities and connections, loved ones and ties. Even though it makes things potentially painful, that's actually the point.
    Plus, if you make your character an orphan, you're just going to run into your parent's killer or your parent's ghost or something.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Plus, if you make your character an orphan, you're just going to run into your parent's killer or your parent's ghost or something.
    Thats why you have them die by volcano in a dead magic zone so they can't become ghosts!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Thats why you have them die by volcano in a dead magic zone so they can't become ghosts!
    Actually, that just stops the ghost from manifesting on the material plane. They're still ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

Haha, in the last game I played, two of us were orphans. But, we did develop a back story on how we met each other, which I'd say was more important.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the thing si, if you have a character with some family or ties it's much harder to explain why he would leave his home unless you make him the generic 'guy who wants to go on a afventure'. If he has no ties to a certain place he can have all kinds of reasons to go around.
    I'm not having my characters with parents killed by gruesome people but just... left in orphanages or something, or raised by guilds. Heck, if the GM wanted to he could always have you meet your parents alive or dead (depending on the setting, though) but if you grew up as the son of some farmers what reason would there be for you to leave unless you wanted to go experience adventures thus leaving your poor family behind. I feels like the basis of any given 'character who left home' story is the same and without that you can have much more diversity in your character.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

"And then, slowly, the black-armored figure reaches up to remove his helm, revealing for all to see the sneering face of the volcano that killed your parents!"

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    "And then, slowly, the black-armored figure reaches up to remove his helm, revealing for all to see the sneering face of the volcano that killed your parents!"
    Rofl. You know, if I was a dm, and someone went to that kind of extreme just to avoid plot hooks in their backstory, id probably do something like that.

The crackling sound of fire and flame filled the room, as the burning embodiment of fire spoke. "You must be wondering, how is it that fire can be alive, and sentient, yes? Well ill tell you. Every soul that dies directly due to an element, is absorbed by that element, its intelligence is added to the greater whole, and eventually, that element can awaken. It was 25 years ago today that a young pair of parents fell into a volcano and burned to death, granting me the final souls needed to awaken and walk the earth. Their memories are mine, and I will always remember Mr. and Mrs. Adventurer."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

... Great, now I'll wait for the ocean to stand up and walk off after the next ship sank and a few dozen people drowned. Darn you, dreadful seas! I shall avenge all those poor, poor sailors!

As for today's comic... EXTREME Force arm-wrestling? I need to go and make an EXTREME peasant farmer now.

17. - Top - End - #227

Apparently normal Druids don't kick enough ass for the irregulars, so they went and made EXTREME druids, who demolish entire civilizations for crimes against nature. Before 3rd level. With one hand. While turning into a bear. Who rides a bear. Shooting bears.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

don't forget summoning bears that ride other bear and one that just has a unicycle
    Last edited by Venom3053000; 2011-08-28 at 11:51 AM.
    My Class is Artificer ... "I see the secret patterns of magic, and through the items I carry, I can use that magic to protect you, heal you... or make you explode."

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Venom3053000 View Post
    don't forget summoning bears that ride other bear and one that just has a unicycle
    Woah woah woah. That unicycle is just too extreme. You have to save that for UBER!Druid
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

20. - Top - End - #230

... Great, now I'll wait for the ocean to stand up and walk off after the next ship sank and a few dozen people drowned. Darn you, dreadful seas! I shall avenge all those poor, poor sailors!

As for today's comic... EXTREME Force arm-wrestling? I need to go and make an EXTREME peasant farmer now.
    Hey, considering the fact that I made this up while I was typing, I think I did pretty good coming up with a way to mess with a player desperate to avoid creating back story plot hooks. :p And its not like the volcano itself got up and walked away, he basically formed a human intelligence level fire elemental of some sort. So in your example, you would basically see a water elemental form on the surface of the waves and awaken. Not have the entire ocean turn into some ambulatory humanoid form that leaves millions of fish gasping for breath on the muddy ocean floor. Though that would be one hell of an epic level encounter.

Players: So what are we going to be facing this week?

Dm: Oh, not much, just a sentient OCEAN!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah... I kind of expected that. Though, fighting a sentient Ocean sounds like one of the most awesome battles ever. I need to find a reason to build this into an adventure... maybe only make it a lake to begin with...

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah... I kind of expected that. Though, fighting a sentient Ocean sounds like one of the most awesome battles ever. I need to find a reason to build this into an adventure... maybe only make it a lake to begin with...
    Yes. Sentient ocean does sound awesome. Its an ocean. And your punching it. With dead Aquaman!
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-08-28 at 03:05 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

You mean a farmer like this?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Heh - "It only prevented the entire facility from falling into the lava. Pretty lucky hit, really."
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Heh - "It only prevented the entire facility from falling into the lava. Pretty lucky hit, really."
    It really is when you stop to think about it. I mean, what kind of construction would have a panel that, when destroyed, would cause one of the most vital systems of the entire station to fail? So in the process of destroying the console, Obi-Wan must've either overloaded the circuits and blew them out (and their backs and failsafes), or somehow entered/signaled the correct commands and pass codes to initiate shutdown of said features.

Pretty darn lucky.

27. - Top - End - #237

The kind of construction that isn't expecting a lazor sword to cut through the control panel.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

28. - Top - End - #238

It really is when you stop to think about it. I mean, what kind of construction would have a panel that, when destroyed, would cause one of the most vital systems of the entire station to fail? So in the process of destroying the console, Obi-Wan must've either overloaded the circuits and blew them out (and their backs and failsafes), or somehow entered/signaled the correct commands and pass codes to initiate shutdown of said features.

Pretty darn lucky.
    The light saber overloaded the eps conduits, causing a flux cascade failure that allowed of 1.21 gigawatts of energy to fry every circuit in the panel, thus keeping the emergency backups from even registering that they need to activate, as no signal had time to be sent out. Just be glad the tachyon particles didnt break out of the quantum manifold, or else he could have opened a small rift in the hyperspace window, sucking the control room into a separate dimension.

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The light saber overloaded the eps conduits, causing a flux cascade failure that allowed of 1.21 gigawatts of energy to fry every circuit in the panel, thus keeping the emergency backups from even registering that they need to activate, as no signal had time to be sent out. Just be glad the tachyon particles didnt break out of the quantum manifold, or else he could have opened a small rift in the hyperspace window, sucking the control room into a separate dimension.
    And that would be baaaaaaaad.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    And that would be baaaaaaaad.
    Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light. Total protonic reversal.