New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play GenGame

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Glee! Limited Genworks is awesometacular! I'd pay for a background image of that!

((wanders towards Domo's commish page...))
    Aww yeah~
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Why am I always the only one that wants to play with our cool new toys?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #93

Okay, I have to ask: Why is the website requesting my e-mail address?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Okay, I have to ask: Why is the website requesting my e-mail address?
    ...what? Where?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

5. - Top - End - #95

Before I can submit a post. I'd hate to sound paranoid, but I'd like to know what they're going to do with my e-mail before I give it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

*shrugs* Many comment systems require an email. If you are paranoid you can make something up, after all they don't check if it exists or belongs to you.
    But I don't know why it's required, an unconfirmed email isn't all that useful.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah... yeah, you can use a fake mail for that one. It's part of the wordpress comment system. Unfortunately if we wanted to deactivate that we'd also have to deactivate the name requirement. (And make it easier for spambots to get in.)

The upshot is, that if you use the same name/mail each time your comment won't go into the moderation queue and instead will be directly published.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

First-time reader, and now I've chowed through the archives, so thanks for making me lose a couple of days. ;)

Seriously, though, very cool. I'm interested to see where this plot is going.

And Mewthario - speaking as a wordpress-user, I can tell you that without that verification system, you get swamped with spam comments so fast, it should be an attack in a game like this.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wordpress also knows how to talk to your email sometimes. For example, when I used my gmail account, it automatically input my gmail profile pic to display as my avatar in comments. Little quirks like that is all.

I don't think it really "does" much with your email per se. I think that the moderators of the site (Domo and Joe) might be able to see your emails, but other than that it just stores the email as an authorization code. The way it blocks spam is by approving each email address manually (meaning domo has to go click an "approve" button) and then caching the response. I can say with 98% certainty that all your email address will do is go sit in a database somewhere.
    "Actually I don't know how to write a post, I just write essays and put them on forums"
    Spoiler
    Show

"We have a visual on the ninja, he appears to be... coding? *gurk*"
    Ninja 7/Rogue 7/Bard 1
    All above pictures are Ceikatars!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    I can say with 98% certainty that all your email address will do is go sit in a database somewhere.
    I can increase this certainty to 99.5%, since I've... helped test the comment system?
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

One more reader gained! Woo! \o/ (Don't forget to add commands on new updates.)

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    I can increase this certainty to 99.5%, since I've... helped test the comment system?
    Sure, let's go with that.

(Unrelated: I see Charidan is doing things on the wiki, but he alone can't do everything. Get on the wiki, people, and make things happen! o/ )
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-08-25 at 08:01 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking for broken links and fixing them, either by re-routing them to their intended location, or making new pages.

Edit: just realized I was too lazy to add tags.
    Last edited by flabort; 2011-08-25 at 10:15 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hrmm, does The Match deserve it's own page, or should I just make it a section of the Great Five page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #104
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Hrmm, does The Match deserve it's own page, or should I just make it a section of the Great Five page.
    I say if you think it would make a good page, make a page out of it. I know I've made some pages out of stupid stuff.

This was the first week of classes, and I've been trying to figure out my schedule and how to sync it up with Domo. And doing things like suddenly disconnecting at really inconvenient times. So, yeah, belated and probably future apologies to everyone.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-08-25 at 11:50 PM.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    And doing things like suddenly disconnecting at really inconvenient times.
    I was kinda wondering about that. >_>
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

Heroic Theme Music! You know you want it >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

75 is a lot of Berates.

I assume. I don't really know the metric.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    75 is a lot of Berates.

I assume. I don't really know the metric.
    Metric? There is no metric, we only deal in imperial measurements. Also, we make it up as we go along.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edit: just realized I was too lazy to add tags.
    Don't worry, I hardly ever remember to do that either.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    It's really a matter of how much length and content you can put into it. If it's a shorter description, it'll probably slot nicely into the Great Five page. If you get a page+ running epic describing the Match in detail and the facets of strategy employed and whatnot, it probably should be its own page. If it does become it's own page, you may want to include a paragraph-ish summary of the Match on the Great Five page and have the header link to the Match page proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Metric? There is no metric, we only deal in imperial measurements. Also, we make it up as we go along.
    Don't be ridiculous! Both metric and imperial are totally unreasonable! Only GenUnits are proper in this day and age! (Aww man, now someone needs to make a Wiki page about that, don't they? I should stop making things up... )

EDIT: WHOA! I just checked the wiki and there were 11 logged changes that weren't even mine! AWESOME! Realistically only 7 pages were changed, but still! Some of them didn't previously exist!

EDIT2; Status Update: I just did a massive housecleaning run and leafed through the "Finished" and Unfinished bars and found that most of it was actually completed pages now and didn't need to be there anymore. I shuffled a bunch of stuff from both bars out entirely (it was completely* done, even a lot of stuff in Unfinished!) and then shuffled some things from Unfinished over into "Finished". At this point Unfinished is about 1/3 of its previously length and "Finished" was almost halved. We're doing better than we thought!

*Well, completely-ish. Most of the stuff that wasn't done was that way because the info actually hasn't appeared in the comic though.
    Last edited by Slartibartfast; 2011-09-01 at 03:03 PM.
    "Actually I don't know how to write a post, I just write essays and put them on forums"
    Spoiler
    Show

Ninja 7/Rogue 7/Bard 1

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

should probably redo the gencorp page. mine is kinda... bad.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

What's wrong with the GenCorp page? It looks pretty good to me. At the very least changes at this point have become optional, so it no longer deserves to be in the "Finished" category. As de facto ruler of the wiki, I am hereby kicking it out. You can rewrite it if you want, but I'm gonna pretty much leave it alone.

EDIT: Special thanks to Flabort for editing lots of stuff while I'm editing lots of stuff!

EDIT2: I'm finding it might be incredibly useful to expand the forum space to allow non-page-specific threads to emerge, because I tried to create two just today and I figure I'll want more in the future.

Just now I wanted to make a thread on meta-data handling (which I stuck on the Clockwork Crawler cause it had a good example of what I was talking about) and a thread about tags because those tags are kinds out of control and we need to set up a system to regulate them.

Domo, do you think you could set something up for that? Failing that, maybe you and Joe could just give me Moderator access to the wiki since I seem to be managing most of it anyways?
    Last edited by Slartibartfast; 2011-09-01 at 04:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ninja 7/Rogue 7/Bard 1

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Slartibartfast, you're assuming that we have any significant access to the wiki. Quite a mistake to make.

(I think flabort started the thing. We have no actual moderatoring control over it.)

But i suspect just making a page called "Discussions" or somesuch and attaching everything to that should be sufficient.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Blast! Alright, I'll go try that then. And then I'll try and figure out who started this thing so I can bug them for Mod access. maybe it was HypoSoc? It might of been Flabort though, I'll go check.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ninja 7/Rogue 7/Bard 1

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Wasn't me. I thought it was Domo, or HypoSoc, or AverageJoe.
    Who created the Wiki, you mean?
    HypoSoc is the Master Administrator, I assume that means he made the wiki in the first place.

Edit: I did mention a "GenWiki" back in the first thread, and how useful it was in describing class features, and areas, and items and such, just as a fun thing to say, since we were making up classes like the Teleking and various Genres, and I mentioned the Spy Genre Calculator that would tell you the most likely genres you'd get.
    Still didn't make the wiki.
    Last edited by flabort; 2011-09-01 at 07:41 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115

Edit: I did mention a "GenWiki" back in the first thread, and how useful it was in describing class features, and areas, and items and such, just as a fun thing to say, since we were making up classes like the Teleking and various Genres, and I mentioned the Spy Genre Calculator that would tell you the most likely genres you'd get.
    Still didn't make the wiki.
    I actually made a page about that.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Honestly, the person who made the wiki is irrelevant, it's the person with admin access who matters, that's just typically the same person.

Yeah, definitely HypoSoc. I PMed him but he hasn't gotten back to me. Not even sure if he's still on the boards anymore. Don't think I've seen him post in a long time.

---
    EDIT: Giant let's me see his recent posts. He's been averaging one or two posts a month, so it might be quite some time before he gets back to me.
    ---

And yes, we must remember to be truly unforgiving to anyone who confuses the two wikis. Which in this case I think is me because I started calling the GenGame Wiki the GenWiki because there were less annoying characters to type.
    Last edited by Slartibartfast; 2011-09-02 at 02:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ninja 7/Rogue 7/Bard 1

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Um... can someone point me to a proper way to navigate the archives if I want to pick up where I left off? I feel like I'm missing something.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Um... can someone point me to a proper way to navigate the archives if I want to pick up where I left off? I feel like I'm missing something.
    A proper way... whadda ya mean? Did you leave off at a specific point?

If you want to continue from the jump-over point to its own site, you can click "The Shift" on the right side, under first and last page.

If you want to search by date you can use the calendar in the bottom right (Also lists updates by month, but that tends to be unreliable the further back you go, since we updated much of that stuff in bundles.).

If you want to search by tags you can use the search function in the top right.

If you just want to continue reading from a specific page you got up to you need to add that page to your bookmarks.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that's what I mean. If I want to pick up where I left off reading, I have to bookmark the page, and that's not very user friendly. What I would like, is a giant index, perhaps broken up by chapter or month or some. So I can click a button to get to the archive, and then search through the master list to get to where I want.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Yeah, that's what I mean. If I want to pick up where I left off reading, I have to bookmark the page, and that's not very user friendly. What I would like, is a giant index, perhaps broken up by chapter or month or some. So I can click a button to get to the archive, and then search through the master list to get to where I want.
    We've talked about something like that, but as far as I know we'd have to index all the archives manually and create a page for it. It's not out of the question, but at the very least I'll need to settle into my classes before starting a project like that.