New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thumbs up BlazBlue Continuum Shift: This thread is the white void.

Okay so the console version of BlazBlue: Continuum Shift comes out in a few days for Japan and a month from now for America, in light of this fact I figured I’d make a thread for the discussion of it. Aksys games (the American publisher and translation team) recently posted an FAQ of what we can expect from the console version and it can be found here.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQh1EW3-tAI There are a few other trailers lurking around too.

Some general information:

What is BlazBlue: Continuum Shift?

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift is the second game in the BlazBlue series, it’s a 2d fighter with high resolution 2d sprites and the spiritual successor to "Guilty Gear". The gameplay looks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiVz5...eature=related . Perhaps the most noteworthy feature of BlazBlue is the fourth attack button which is named "Drive", every character's Drive ability is unique to them and works entirely different to any of the other characters'. The drive system means that even with a much smaller cast then many other fighting games BlazBlue has more gameplay variation then most other fighters out there, no characters feel like clones of each other (Outside of story mode of course ).

How are we for characters?

Old Characters: Spoiler (Images)

Spoiler
    Show
    Ragna The Bloodedge

A complete rush down character, most of his special moves consist of exotic ways to angrily throw yourself at the opponent. He regains a small amount of health every time he lands a Drive hit.

Character Theme: Rebellion
    Boss Form: Black Onslaught
    Versus Jin: Under Heaven Destruction
    Versus Rachel: White Requiem
    Versus Hazama: Nightmare Fiction

Jin Kisaragi

Jin is really your standard 2d fighter character, he can Hadoken, Shoryuken and Tatsumaki-Senpū. What sets Jin out from the rest of those characters though is that his Drive ability freezes opponents in ice giving him ample time to use a devastating combo. Also he now has a counter attack super.

Character Theme: Lust SIN
    Versus Ragna: Under Heaven Destruction
    Versus Noel: Imperial Code
    Noel Vermillion

Do not let appearances fool you, Noel is not very good at ranged combat, instead Noel uses those hand guns for Gun-Kata. Noel is a rush down character with fast hits and lowish damage, her Drive ability "Chain Revolver" places her into a state where she can do chaining combos.

Character Theme: Bullet Dance
    Versus Jin: Imperial Code
    Versus Tsubaki: Memory of Tears
    Rachel Alucard

Rachel is quite a versatile character, she can put up arena traps in the form of lightning rods, she can summon a pumpkin projectile that she shoots at people and a frog called George XIII that zaps people. Her Drive ability lets her blow herself/the enemy/George XIII and the pumpkin around on wind. She was top tier but has subsequently been nerfed quite hard.

Character Theme: Queen of Rose
    Versus Ragna: White Requiem
    Carl Clover

Carl fights with himself and the puppet at the same time. Carl himself is weak however when he begins combo'ing attacks between himself and Nirvana (the puppet) he can be quite devastating. His Drive ability allows him to control Nirvana.

Character Theme: Marionette Purple
    Bang Shishigami

The man who fights in the name of love and justice... The one and only Bang Shishigami! Bang is an amazingly hammy and highly visible ninja, his Drive ability grants him attacks that automatically block some incoming moves and grant him a "seal" every time he lands the hit. When he has four seal's gathered he can unlock his incredibly manly super mode. Apart from that bang boasts a high health and high mobility with short range melee attacks due to the fact he fights basically unarmed.

Character Theme: Gale
    Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Theme: Beat a Nail With Your Hammer
    Hakumen

Hakumen is an odd character. Rather then gaining Heat (What the game calls the 'Super' bar) the way the other characters do, instead his Heat gauge is split into 8 Magatamas that are used up by all his special moves, unlike the other characters he continually gains heat over time (in the form of Magatamas) from the very start of the fight. His Drive ability allows him to counter attack melee moves that strike him during it's activation period.

Character Theme: SUSANOOH
    Arakune

An annoying bastard that's very hard to hit. His Drive ability puts opponents in a curse state which allows him to continually throw bug projectiles at them.

Character Theme: Thin RED Line
    Versus Litchi: Weak Executioner
    Iron Tager

The game's grappler character, he has very low mobility but high health and hits for real soviet damage. His Drive ability allows him to magnetize opponents and pull them back into his range.

Character Theme: MOTOR HEAD
    Litchi Faye-Ling

Litchi is one of those "two stance" characters who has different moves depending on what stance shes in. Her two stances are Rod in Hand and Rod Placed and her Drive ability allows her to switch between the two and also fling the rod as a projectile as you go.

Character Theme: Oriental Flower
    Versus Arakune: Weak Executioner
    Taokaka

Taokaka is primarily a rush down character, she uses her claws as her primary weapon and her Drive ability can launch her around the screen in unpredictable patterns.

Character Theme: Catus Carnival
    Nu-13

Nu-13 is not present in this game she is instead replaced by Lambda-11. Nu-13's Drive ability summons sword projectiles to attack the enemy. She served as the final boss of the first game.

Character Theme: Awakening The Chaos (This version also has her arcade/story mode introduction song tacked on at the start).

All of the original characters minus Nu-13 are back, though some of them have undergone a lot of changes. We also gain:

New Characters: Spoiler [Images]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hazama

Has a short range but uses his Drive ability Ouroboros to compensate. Is also a smooth criminal.

Character theme: Gluttony Fang
    Versus Ragna: Nightmare Fiction
    Boss Form: Endless Despair
    Tsubaki

Can spend time charging herself to make certain moves more powerful. Has some easy to use Multi-hit specials that can be made stronger if she expends a charge level.

Character theme: Condemnation Wings
    Versus Noel: Memory of Tears
    Lambda-11

Replaces Nu-13 and has the same general attack style but with rebalanced move properties. She will instead show up as Nu-13 if you pick her unlimited form however she does not retain any of Nu’s special dialogue lines.

Character theme: Awakening The Chaos (Same as Nu's)

Spoiler (I don’t think this actually counts a spoiler anymore but I spoilered it out of politeness anyway). [Console Only]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mu-12

Poor Noel =(.

From what we can see she sets up turret like objects which she can then use to bounce lasers or explode as bombs, she is unlocked when you finish the true ending of story mode and is legal in ranked online matches so she’s designed to be a normally balanced character.

Gameplay video can be found here but the player is using “Beginner Mode” and is unfamiliar with the character so the video will not be very indicative of Mu's actual abilities.

Character theme: Sword of Doom

Makoto [Console + DLC only]

Makoto will become available as DLC apparently in august, we don’t know much more then this yet except that she is apparently a short range rush down character and her Drive is called “impact”.

UPDATE: We now have a gameplay video of her-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA3B7GfhjWA

Character theme: Alexandrite

Platinum The Trinity [Console + DLC only]

Platinum is a magic girl! Definitely the cutest of the six heroes, it will be interesting to see how her gameplay turns out.

Character theme: Mahou Shoj- Active Angel

Valkenhayn Hellsing [Console + DLC only]

Valkenhayn appears to be a werewolf and most like an 'expy' of Slayer from guilty gear, apart from that he's also Rachel's butler and one of the six heroes.

Character theme: Howling Moon

With the three DLC characters the roster goes up to 18.

On top of new characters the general gameplay has been overhauled from the first game giving us a new HUD, new burst system and *shudder* a new announcer.

Apart from that the console version has the return of all the Gameplay modes from the first game with the addition of three new modes: Challenge, Tutorial and Legion. It also includes an all new story mode with the English voice actors and cinematics.

As far as DLC goes apart from new characters there will also be the option to unlock the characters “Unlimited” forms via DLC if you don’t feel like doing it the old fashioned way and replacement announcer voices (you will want this one).

There is some kind of beginner mode that can be turned on in the console version which seems to streamline the controls though the details are quite fuzzy right now.

The US console version of the game will retail for $40 US and be available for both Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles. The Japanese release date is July 1st and the American release date is July 27th.
    ================================================== =======

With all that said, is anyone else excited for this game? Anybody play the arcade version? Thoughts/Opinions on the game?

I mained Noel in the first game and my plan is to main her again in this game, I used Hakumen as my secondary but with all these funky new characters around we’ll have to see if I stick with him or replace him with someone else. I didn’t get a chance to play this in any arcades so I’m really looking forward to the console release even though the American version will be about another month.
    Last edited by MoelVermillion; 2010-07-13 at 02:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: BlazBlue Continuum Shift: This thread is the white void.

Looks awesome, and I'm getting this game for sure.
    I mained Hakumen in the first game, with Rachel as my secondary.

Can't wait!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

Hakumen is probably going to be sweet to play in this game seeing hes gotten so many buffs, Rachel apparently got hit with the nerf hammer pretty hard which is a shame. Apparently though they're going to be releasing a re-balancing patch for the game a few months after release, I hope they do this to coincide with the next game's arcade release because otherwise the arcade and console versions will be completely out of synch with each other .

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hmmm. Nifty. I watched my friend play BlazBlue on his PS3, which is now unfortunately broken. I love Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, especially the odd and quirky characters. This looks interesting, though its a pity I won't be able to play it myself...

Any word on a Soundtrack with this one?
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

5. - Top - End - #5

Theres no sound track with the english release due to no special edition being made and it seems like the japanese version doesn't come with one either way.

You can order the soundtrack CD separately online but its quite expensive. These are the songs included on the soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/user/HiagoX#g/c/DE945901D5C2813F

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

My fighting experience has been pretty much limited to Street Fighter II and IV, and I'm not amazing (but not bad) at either of them. Does BlazBlue have the same sort of long chains of inputs to pull of moves, or is it a more simplistic sort of system like Smash Brothers (my personal favourite of all fighting games ever)?

I've looked at reviews and such and I'm very interested. Never got the chance to play Guilty Gear, but the large cult fanbase has caught my eye several times and makes me not want to miss out on BlazBlue.
    Thanks to Tape Measure for my avatar!

Steam Name- [GitP] Dragor. Captain of the random disconnect, Lieutenant of the 'Uncloaking in front of somebody' Brigade.
    League of Legends- Supernaturalist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragor View Post
    My fighting experience has been pretty much limited to Street Fighter II and IV, and I'm not amazing (but not bad) at either of them. Does BlazBlue have the same sort of long chains of inputs to pull of moves, or is it a more simplistic sort of system like Smash Brothers (my personal favourite of all fighting games ever)?
    You don't need to do long button inputs, but they're pretty necessary to do well. Sorry.
    Last edited by Shas aia Toriia; 2010-06-27 at 06:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

It's long input chains like most fighting games, but I've heard it's one of the easier to pick up.

Doesn't Continuum Shift have a tutorial mode? And then there are those videos which teach you how to deal REAL SOVIET DAMAGE.

EDIT: Wait a minute. I thought "Azure Grimoire" was the English translation of the "BlazBlue" item, but in that trailer someone (Terumi?) says "Ao no Madoshou" which would literally translate as "Magic Book of Blue".
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-06-27 at 07:20 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

The timing for linking hits in a combo is (at least in my experience) much more forgiving then Street Fighter but yeah you're still required to do long input chains. On the plus side the Dustloop Forums have comprehensive combo guides for each character that can help you learn a bunch of bread and butter combos and as Prime32 said continuum shift has both a tutorial mode (which seems to be about teaching basic techniques) and a challenge mode (which seems to be devoted to teaching combos).

tl;dr: Yeah its long input chains but there are a lot of resources out there to help you learn them.

EDIT: @Prime32: I think they just translated "Magic Book of Blue" to Azure Grimoire as its sounds less cheesy in english and means the exact same thing.
    Last edited by MoelVermillion; 2010-06-27 at 07:22 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Guilty Gear is pretty newbie-friendly, and I hear BlazBlue is even better in that regard.

I don't have personal experience though, due to lack of PS3. Shame. BlazBlue is definitely one of my first buys once I get that console.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thetsyman View Post
    EDIT: @Prime32: I think they just translated "Magic Book of Blue" to Azure Grimoire as its sounds less cheesy in english and means the exact same thing.
    I wouldn't even say that. I was translating character-by-character, and if it was the other way around then "Azure Grimoire" would definitely be translated into Japanese as "Ao no Madoshou".

What I was saying was that... well, look up some videos of the Azure Grimoire CG in Japanese and English.
    English!Ragna: "Azure Grimoire, activate!"
    Japanese!Ragna: "BureiBuru, kidou!"
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-06-27 at 07:56 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Ah right I get you now, yeah I'm not really sure what that is all about to be honest. The terms BlazBlue and Grimoire of The Blue/Azure Grimoire seem to be used fairly interchangeably and its not really clear if there is any distinction between the two, Ragna himself even says "BlazBlue... Activate!" in one of his unlimited form fight intros, despite having previously referred to it as the Azure Grimoire in story mode so it seems pretty inconsistent on what term they use to refer to it.

EDIT: Prime32 this is the best information I can find on the subject: http://www.aksysgames.com/forums/topic/488 One of the guys from Aksys games answers a question along the same line, it seems the translation team at least considered the two to be the same term. I hope this is the information you were looking for .
    Last edited by MoelVermillion; 2010-06-28 at 09:43 AM.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Prime32 for the awesome Noel Vermillion avatar.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Thought I'd post my BB avatars.

(Hakumen is taken, Noel is not)

14. - Top - End - #14

So I just read the latest post here it appears that someone must have broken street date on Japanese Continuum Shift as its being sold now.

http://fairuzons.livejournal.com/6553.html

http://img709.imageshack.us/i/689400.jpg/

I'm buying the American version so this doesn't really effect me in anyway but still thought it may be worth mentioning.

Oh and Prime32, would you mind if I adopted your Noel avatar? Its very cute .
    Last edited by MoelVermillion; 2010-06-28 at 09:43 AM.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Oh and Prime32, would you mind if I adopted your Noel avatar? Its very cute .
    Not at all. *edits that in*

EDIT: You forgot to change the height/width settings (120x120).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-06-28 at 10:26 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

I am a Jin player and didn't really have a second, normally with my friends if your not maining your doing Rando, so I am decent at the others.

@thetsyman: Do you have more details with the Nerf of Racheal? I was never great with her and never did much outside my group of friends but she seemed OP when Unlimited (but who wasn't?) and Under powered as normal, but none of really learned her. So I am interested as why she was nerffed

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I mained as Jin, and has Hakumen as my secondary. I haven't really been keeping up with the news recently, but I sorely hope that Jin plays the same as he did in CT. I've heard Jin has become even more of a conservative character though so I'm worried I won't be able to adopt that style of play easily. I do like that they gave him Yukikaze though.

Ah well, learning this new style of play will probably make it easier on me when playing as Hakumen.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffard View Post
    @thetsyman: Do you have more details with the Nerf of Racheal? I was never great with her and never did much outside my group of friends but she seemed OP when Unlimited (but who wasn't?) and Under powered as normal, but none of really learned her. So I am interested as why she was nerffed
    In calamity trigger she had some fairly monstrous but not that hard to pull off combos as well as a decent drive ability and the potential to be used for fairly staggering mix ups, she could both zone and rush down effectively and was considered to be in the top tier by most players.

I'm not sure on the exact details of her nerfs but from what I've heard a large problem is her damage output, she can still apparently string together large combos they just don't her the other guy enough.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

In calamity trigger she had some fairly monstrous but not that hard to pull off combos as well as a decent drive ability and the potential to be used for fairly staggering mix ups, she could both zone and rush down effectively and was considered to be in the top tier by most players.
    *snip*
    Hmm.. I found her so easy to dodge/block alot of her moves cause she seem to telegraph for years, but seeing that video, does make her seem much more of a monster then anyone in my play group plays her. Thanks for the info.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the characters should all be fairly equally balanced until you hit a high level of competitive play.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Larger Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Was it calamity trigger or continuum shift that was getting a PC release with multiplayer? I might end up getting it if it's CS. Tager is where it's at. 1 combo with multiple setups.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Penguinizer, you're crazy! Tager has 3 combos!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragor View Post
    SF4 is the simplest fighting game out there besides Smash Bros.

One of the biggest complaints I've heard about BB is that it didn't have enough depth to hold the attention of Guilty Gear veterans all that long. Unfortunately, I had to agree after playing it for a couple of months. But I still haven't gotten good with the more complicated characters...

I'm looking forward to CS. It looks like the usual thing that happens to characters I like will be going on, and Tager and Arakune will both end up much closer to mid tier, instead of being at opposite ends of the list.

Also, do we have any Bay Area players here? The local cybercafe is starting up fighting game nights on Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffard View Post
    Hmm.. I found her so easy to dodge/block alot of her moves cause she seem to telegraph for years, but seeing that video, does make her seem much more of a monster then anyone in my play group plays her. Thanks for the info.
    Rachel was one of the top three characters, along with v-13 and Arakune, it's just that she was nightmarishly hard to use to full effect, unlike them. Still, it's a good thing they got rid of her ability to continue combos even after her opponent had been knocked down.
    Last edited by NeoVid; 2010-06-28 at 09:42 PM.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

You mean he has more than *launcher*, Atomic Collider, 6C, Spark Bolt, 6A, 2C, Atomic Collider, Sledge/6C?
    Last edited by Penguinizer; 2010-06-29 at 01:21 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, he also has A,A,A,A!

And I'm pretty sure he has a third one somewhere, though it's not really needed...

I'm just waiting to use his CS version and try his OTG throw, and learn what sort of horrible abuse that can be used for.
    =====

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, I was sulking about never playing Blazblue. Then not having any fighting games at all. Because I don't have any consoles. Then I realized the family got a 360 a few months ago and never used it. But then, I thought, I already have Street Fighter Fou-waitaminute.

Anyway, I pretty much have to play Hazama. I might not be picking up the game right at release due to $$$ flow issues, but is there anything I should know for when I do start?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Plenty.

Easy characters to use: v-13, Noel, Jin

Head-explodingly hard to use: Rachel, Carl, (maybe) Bang

Best source of info: dustloop.com

The core mechanics of the game are not hard, but it's an Arc Systems game, which means every single character has something that makes them work differently than any other character in the history of fighting games, which you'll need to master to be good with them.

I'd recommend getting the first game while it's cheap, since there's not much reason not to. Also, its story mode puts the story mode of just about any non-RPG to shame with its length.

Oh, and watch all of these. They're made to detail the setting, but they're annoyingly hard to unlock in-game.

And make sure you don't miss the official Tager tutorial by Mike Z. Without it, you will only do puny American damage!
    =====

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I am annoyed. Calamity Trigger only came out, like, three months ago over here.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    I'm guessing that's because there's 20 hours of story mode dialogue to re-record. Well, it'll be a while before you get CS, then...

But it could be worse. EU players had to wait two years for their release of Guilty Gear Overture, and then there weren't enough copies released to cover the preorders.
    =====

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I am looking forward to it. My friends and I were playing BB:CT just last week. then they were reminded of why they stopped. they always hated my nu. In my defense, i picked Nu as my main when I first pick up the game. i didn't know she was that powerful till after I made my friend cry as he fruitlessly tried to hop forward or air dash in with hakumen.

I will still probably main lambda as i always play the ranged pokey guy (i mained kilik in SC series)..
    I wonder how

Spoiler
    Show

Mu will work out. she has the same sword thing that Nu and lambda have. wonder if the greek letter series will end up like SF's Shoto. all of them pretty much playing the same.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    EDIT: You forgot to change the height/width settings (120x120).
    Thanks dude, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    Anyway, I pretty much have to play Hazama. I might not be picking up the game right at release due to $$$ flow issues, but is there anything I should know for when I do start?
    Well surprisingly enough despite being a fighting game the single player is actually pretty story heavy, if you're the type of person who may regret playing the second game's story before finishing the firsts you might want to see if you can give the first game a rent or something. Apart from that just read everything NeoVid said and you should pick the game up pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    Yeah I was lucky enough to import the first game when it released in America but I was still pretty appalled to see the EU/AUS release date.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    I'm guessing that's because there's 20 hours of story mode dialogue to re-record. Well, it'll be a while before you get CS, then..
    Do you know if they actually ended up rerecording all the voices for the European version? I know there was rumours they were going to before it's release but I haven't seen anything concrete saying that they have since.

Apparently the plan is to release CS in the European regions this October, seems like they're trying to speed up the release of the games so they can catch back up with America.

Quote Originally Posted by Illieas View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Mu will work out. she has the same sword thing that Nu and lambda have. wonder if the greek letter series will end up like SF's Shoto. all of them pretty much playing the same.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Negatory, watch the gameplay video I posted in the OP (reposted here for your convenience) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXat1FbakV4&NR=1 totally different gameplay style.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show