New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering X: Deal X damage to target thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    snip
    My personal preference would be to use the green stuff over all the artifact ramp (except maybe expedition map, which can search up answers like Phyrexian Tower and Dustbowl) because if somebody plays boardsweepers like Planar Cleansing or Oblivion Stone, you will be glad that they don't hit your manabase. In a BUG deck, I would consider Perilous Forays because it is ramp and a sacrifice outlet. In any green deck I would say that Oracle of Mul Daya is almost an auto-include and you should give it some serious consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya
    snip
    While the Political Puppets deck may have the most expensive singles right now, I think that Chaos Warp and Flutterstorm will fall in value soon after the decks are released. These two cards are worth a lot right now because they have potential applications in Legacy, but I don't see them being good enough to see much play. Since WotC is planning on selling a bunch of these Commander decks I imagine that the price of those rares will drop to something like $5 or $10 soon enough.

If you are looking to get the most value out of your purchase, I would suggest the Black/Blue/Green deck because it seems to have quite a few Commander staples like Solemn Simulacrum(roboJens) and Eternal Witness.
    Ponytar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Well, you don't need to go overboard, unless you have lots of ways to spend excess mana. 24 is a lot. That said, none of the cards you have listed are expressly bad mana accelerants. It really depends on a lot of things, like your General, your game plan, what kinds of deck manipulation you have available, and what your "curve" looks like. You are playing Blue, which means you should have good card drawing/selection cards, so your mana should be even better than most decks.
    As I mentioned a few posts back, this deck's going to be focused even more on big spells than most EDH decks. General will probably be Damia, Sage of Stone.

I suggest cutting the ones vulnerable to artifact destruction, like Spectral Searchlight and the Signets, because they'll probably become collateral damage when you need to drop an Oblivion Stone, and you'll wish you just had lands instead.
    That's a good point, especially since I'll probably be playing more sweepers in this deck, especially if I can find a Deed.

Rampant Growth is still awesome, and if you're playing Duals you can always play other, similar cards like Farseek, Nature's Lore, and Skyshroud Claim (which is awesome).
    Forgot about those latter two, thanks for reminding me.

I'm not a fan of Dreamstone Hedron or Gilded Lotus in Green decks because they're worse accelerants than most of the Green land-search cards (they're expensive and prone to being destroyed). Since you're playing Blue you also probably don't need the card draw.
    Gotcha. Gilded Lotus has been amazing for me in my Jhoira deck, but you have a point about the green cards filling that role.

Expedition Map is good only if you have specific lands you're searching for. On the other hand, if you have specific lands you're searching for, it's the best card ever. I still have to find space in Darien, King of Kjeldor's deck for it.
    Oh, that's definitely the plan - in my Jhoira deck, it pretty much just fixes mana or gets Mystifying Maze, which is amazingly useful (Especially against my friend's Kresh deck.) Here...hopefully, I'll have Cabal Coffers/Urborg to fetch, at the very least.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Hat View Post
    In a BUG deck, I would consider Perilous Forays because it is ramp and a sacrifice outlet. In any green deck I would say that Oracle of Mul Daya is almost an auto-include and you should give it some serious consideration.
    Not going to put Perilous Forays in, I won't have enough to sac to it. I mean, a friend of mine had it in a Savra deck and it still wasn't useful enough to stay in. Oracle will almost definitely be in, though.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2011-06-16 at 05:41 PM.
    ithilanor on Steam.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno how good Damia and lots of Big spells will be... It'll be harder to empty your hand. But I'm interested to see what you find out!
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I dunno how good Damia and lots of Big spells will be... It'll be harder to empty your hand. But I'm interested to see what you find out!
    Yeah, big mana is fine in Damia, but you want to be casting a ton of cheap efficient spells, not big splashy ones.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, Damia was just an idea 'cause she seemed more interesting than The Mimeoplasm or Vorosh.
    ithilanor on Steam.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

With what I'm building for, I'll go with Mimeoplasm. It seems great with the e-animator-ish theme. It's also helping that I'm adding the ooze combo just in case.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, how is your deck sorted? It's best to sort by card function, so that you can see whether you have, for example, too many counterspells or Wraths or whatnot, rather than just by Creatures and Non-Creature Spells and Lands. From there, it just comes down to making the painful decision to cut cards and going with the flow. It really is the hardest part of the game. It's why I prefer playing fewer colors in EDH, personally. I may be able to provide suggestions if you can provide a list of cards on the chopping block. There are definitely cards you should never ever cut from a list (like Debtor's Knell in BW). Take out the 20 or so of those cards and put up a list of cards you're thinking of cutting and I think some people here can give you a hand.
    I currently have my deck sorted into Creatures, Removal, Reanimators, Tutors, Wraths, Other Spells, Planeswalkers, Artifacts and Enchantment, Equipment and Auras, and Land.
    I can't really come up with a short list of cards to possibly cut, so I'll just post the entire decklist:

So, there are 82 non-land cards in total. There are a few cards that I don't have that I would put in the deck if I had them (Divinity of Pride, Serra Ascendant, Serra Avatar, Dreathbringer Liege, and Eternal Dragon are a few). I also feel it might need more removal and wraths, but adding more cards would be pretty counterproductive . . . .

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds cutting cards to be extremely difficult. The way I build EDH decks basically goes like this: Find an awesome general I want to build a deck around. Spend hours searching Gatherer for cards to put in the deck, and end up with a list of 100 to 150 non-land cards, which I'm able to fairly quickly cut down to around 90. Then spend the next few weeks slowly and painfully cutting the deck down to 60 non-land cards, then assembe the deck. This is how it works every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Hat View Post
    While the Political Puppets deck may have the most expensive singles right now, I think that Chaos Warp and Flutterstorm will fall in value soon after the decks are released. These two cards are worth a lot right now because they have potential applications in Legacy, but I don't see them being good enough to see much play. Since WotC is planning on selling a bunch of these Commander decks I imagine that the price of those rares will drop to something like $5 or $10 soon enough.

If you are looking to get the most value out of your purchase, I would suggest the Black/Blue/Green deck because it seems to have quite a few Commander staples like Solemn Simulacrum(roboJens) and Eternal Witness.
    Yeah, I agree with you about the prices of the singles going down, particularly the prices of the various $20 cards. Overall value of the decks doesn't particularly matter to me, I was just curious about how much the singles in each of the decks were worth. I already bought the boxed set of all the decks, as well (for $125! I'm so glad I bought it right when it went on preorder). I'm currently trying to figure out which deck to chose for the Launch Party. I'm thinking either Political Puppets or Heavenly Inferno, because they look like the most fun.
    Last edited by Silviya; 2011-06-16 at 10:49 PM.

My deviantART account: link.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silviya View Post
    I currently have my deck sorted into Creatures, Removal, Reanimators, Tutors, Wraths, Other Spells, Planeswalkers, Artifacts and Enchantment, Equipment and Auras, and Land.
    I can't really come up with a short list of cards to possibly cut, so I'll just post the entire decklist:

*snip*

So, there are 82 non-land cards in total. There are a few cards that I don't have that I would put in the deck if I had them (Divinity of Pride, Serra Ascendant, Serra Avatar, Dreathbringer Liege, and Eternal Dragon are a few). I also feel it might need more removal and wraths, but adding more cards would be pretty counterproductive . . . .

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds cutting cards to be extremely difficult. The way I build EDH decks basically goes like this: Find an awesome general I want to build a deck around. Spend hours searching Gatherer for cards to put in the deck, and end up with a list of 100 to 150 non-land cards, which I'm able to fairly quickly cut down to around 90. Then spend the next few weeks slowly and painfully cutting the deck down to 60 non-land cards, then assembe the deck. This is how it works every single time.
    Some thoughts to help your organization:
    "Creatures" is a really broad organizational method. This is where you get to the nitty gritty. Dread Cacodemon, Reiver Demon, Sunblast Angel, Massacre Wurm and Elesh Norn can fall into the "Wraths" category, for example. Let's move them there. Angel of Despair, Avatar of Woe, and Royal Assassin are "Removal" cards, so let's move them to that category. Just that alone more accurately represents the fact that no, you don't need more Wraths, and wow do you have a lot of single-target creature removal (most of which is not also creatures, which is not the best). Let's finish by rearranging some other cards and changing your categories a little bit...

Spoiler
    Show

I can now tell you immediately several glaring problems with your list:
    1) There's only 1 card that manipulates your deck and only 1 card that helps your mana development. This is absolutely awful. You definitely want to be playing some more mana development and card drawing/deck manipulation cards. Sensei's Divining Top is good for a reason, but you're Black. You have some of the best options for card drawing in the game. May I suggest Phyrexian Arena? How about Necropotence? Maybe Greed? Ambition's Cost? Graveborn Muse?Moriok Replica? Promise of Power? There are even more options if you care to look. As for mana, well, you can't go wrong with Eternal Dragon, Weathered Wayfarer, Solemn Simulacrum, Pilgrim's Eye, and Twisted Abomination. And that's just a bunch of creatures!

2) You have a lot of removal. I don't think any of my decks play that much removal, and I have 3 decks, 1 of which is 5-color and 1 of which is Grixis. It's especially jarring that the large majority of it is creature removal, generally in Instant form. Creatures would be better, as you could abuse them with your reanimation, sacrifice them for effect to your General, and many other things you can do with creatures but not with Instants. Especially in this deck. Also, 17 is too many anyways, in my opinion, especially when you have some appearing elsewhere, so you should cut down. Though I notice you have very few answers to Artifacts and Enchantments, and no General answers...

3) The creature pumps and equipment subtheme feels totally out of place. I mean, I get that you could just kill them with Vish, but is that what you're trying to do? Maybe you should focus on that instead of gaining life (Seriously, 15 cards? Most of which are otherwise nothing more than huge guys?). I don't know. You should really decide what you want your deck to do. That will help you cut down significantly on cards.

4) The entire Deterrents section seems awful. You really don't need cards like this. Also, Norn's Annex and Ghostly Prison seem totally out of place in this deck. They don't fit any of the themes you seem to be going after and they aren't particularly powerful (taxing isn't that great in EDH).

There's more to be said, but I think the key I've found is that you have no idea what you want your deck to do. An EDH deck functions best when it isn't just a pile of powerful cards. It functions best when it is designed to do something specific. Figure out what specific thing you want your deck to be doing, and you should find that there are several cards that just aren't very good at getting you there.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Gee, all this talk about EDH... Almost makes me think I should try it... I just doubt I'll find someone I know that plays nearby...

A deck I'm playing around with...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seems like it works... 2 minutes later you'll point out it's absolutely terrible and all, but hey... I like it

Bandil makes a multicolored deck! The world is ending!

edit: I know it's a little more than 60 cards...
    Spoiler
    Show
    2x Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
    Planeswalkers:
    2x Ajani Vengeant

Creatures:
    2x Balefire Liege
    2x Belligerent Hatchling
    4x Boros Recruit
    4x Boros Signet
    4x Boros Swiftblade
    4x Cerodon Yearling
    2x Firemane Angel

4x Hearthfire Hobgoblin
    4x Hobgoblin Dragoon
    2x Nobilis of War
    4x Skyknight Legionnaire

Enchantments:
    4x Glory of Warfare
    Artifacts:
    4x Boros Signet

Lands:
    4x Boros Garrison
    8x Mountain
    8x Plains

Last edited by Eon; 2011-06-16 at 10:53 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Reposting this from the last page:

For the U/r deck I'm looking to make, I'll have Niv-Mizzet (as the general), Curiosity, and Ophidian Eye to combo with him. I'll have Vesuvan Shapeshifter and Brine Elemental for the Pickles lock. I'll have Pestermite, Deceiver Exarch, Splinter Twin, and Kiki-Jiki for that combo. Any other notable, simple combos I should put in?

Also, I'm mentally fooling around with a Standard Podcaster list, similar to what Kenny Oberg played in Block at Nagoya. Obviously, the core will be 4 Grand Architect and 4 Birthing Pod. I'll have 4 Preordain, naturally; a playset of Treasure Mages; and a playset of Phyrexian Metamorphs. I'm thinking some number of Trinket Mages too, with Brittle Effigy, Chimeric Mass, possibly Elixir of Immortality, and possibly Everflowing Chalice as targets. (Hex Parasite might be good too, come to think of it)

For the big things, I'm thinking 1 Mindslaver, 1-2 Wurmcoil Engine, 1 Myr Battlesphere, possibly 1 Contagion Engine, and 1 Spine of Ish Sah to fetch.

I'd probably want some 4 drops in there, since there'll be a profusion of 3's. Metamorph might be enough, but I'm also thinking about Molten-Tail Masticore and Lodestone Golem.

How does all of this sound?
    ithilanor on Steam.

11. - Top - End - #41

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bandil View Post
    Gee, all this talk about EDH... Almost makes me think I should try it... I just doubt I'll find someone I know that plays nearby...
    Do you have a local store? Show up this Saturday for the Commander release parties.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suedars View Post
    Do you have a local store? Show up this Saturday for the Commander release parties.
    One that I'm familiar with... I don't see many people ever show up there so I don't know...
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Look apon me, mighty Posid-Eon, ruler of the waves and saviour of people. Watch as I stumble about on dry land humoursly, AND TREMBLE!

<3

13. - Top - End - #43

BarbarianGuy

Give them a call and ask if they're holding an event/expect a crowd.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Give them a call and ask if they're holding an event/expect a crowd.
    Well... I'm also kinda busy on Saturday... So that makes it a little iffy. I might give'em a call and inquire when it is, see if I have time...
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

<3

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    For the big things, I'm thinking 1 Mindslaver, 1-2 Wurmcoil Engine, 1 Myr Battlesphere, possibly 1 Contagion Engine, and 1 Spine of Ish Sah to fetch.
    Don't forget Moltensteel Dragon! You can fetch it with Treasure Mage and immediately curve into it.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2011-06-16 at 10:52 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Don't forget Moltensteel Dragon! You can fetch it with Treasure Mage and immediately curve into it.
    ...Ooh, that would be a delicious idea. *cackles*
    ithilanor on Steam.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    My knew EDH deck has drawn some hate....

My general is Arcum Dagsson, and I usually use him to fetch Darksteel Forge, then Myr Incubator. After I did that once (and ended up dying first, mind you), I played a second game. I never fetched the Myr Incubator until late in the game, instead getting Darksteel Forge, Mycosynth Lattice, Omen Machine, and Finally Timesifter.

Timesifter seemed really fun to me, and in fact it was fun and hilarious to most of us, but two players got really upset and bitchy.

Is that really that bad, considering one of the players who got bitchy spends **** tons of money on cards and has all uber tournament grade decks?
    Yeah, I admit your deck would draw a lot of grief in my play circle. Not necessarily for the chaos, we like chaos. I've seen games where a copy of Memnarch gets passed around like the town bike, going to a new player every turn just because of ridiculous number of effect copiers and creature steals. (And trying to figure out who he went back to when people died was even more entertaining.) It would be the more the fact that your general is the creature form of Tinker, combined with Darksteel Forge (indestructible drives us nuts. We like smashing things) combined with having to sit through Timesifters? It becomes less fun when you have to sit there for thirty minutes waiting for your turn to finally come back around just because of some bad luck. At that point it becomes time to scoop and reset.

Also, my current Commander Deck:

Spoiler
    Show

Commander - Child of New Alara (WUBRG)

Lands (35)
    3x Plains
    3x Islands
    3x Swamps
    3x Mountains
    3x Forests
    Mosswort Bridge
    Crumbling Necropolis
    Savage Lands
    Raging Ravine
    Exotic Orchard
    Seachrome Coast
    Evolving Wilds
    Terramorphic Expanse
    Seijir refuge
    Graypelt Refuge
    Akoum Refuge
    Irrigation Ditch
    Tinder Farm
    Ancient Spring
    Sulfur Vent
    Geothermal Crevice
    Unstable Frontier
    Ancient ziggurat
    Shimmering Grotto
    Strip Mine

Creatures (29)
    Sheoldred, the Whispering One
    Lovisa Coldeyes
    Lorthos, the Tidemaker
    Elvish Piper
    Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper
    Experiment Kraj
    Jenara, Asura of War
    Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
    Chainer, Dementia Master
    Cho-Manno, Revolutionary
    Kiku, Night's Flower
    Anowon, the Ruin Sage
    Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile
    Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
    Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
    Thraximundar
    Bringer of the Black Dawn
    Birds of Paradise
    Rorix Bladewing
    Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
    Malfegor
    Bringer of the Red Dawn
    Thriss, Nantuko Primus
    Ascendent Evincar
    Maelstrom Archangel
    Tsabo Tavoc
    Savra, Queen of the Golgari
    Rakka Mar
    Kresh, the Bloodbraided

Planeswalkers (3)
    Chandra Nalaar
    Elspeth, Knight Errant
    Ajani Goldmane

Others (32)
    Nevinyrral's Disk
    Juntu Stakes
    Storage Matrix
    Barrin's Spite
    Psychic Battle
    Indestructibility
    Death or Glory
    Balancing Act
    Spirit of Resistance
    Prophetic Prism
    Semblance Anvil
    Urza's Bauble
    Proteus Staff
    Chromatic Sphere
    Legacy Weapon
    Kaleidostone
    Maelstrom Nexus
    Finest Hour
    Armillary Sphere
    World at War
    Gruul Signet
    Dimir Signet
    Thran Dynamo
    Hunting Grounds
    Global Ruin
    Phyrexian Rebirth
    Mishra's Bauble
    Expedition Map
    Obelisk of Bant
    Obelisk of Grixis
    Obelisk of Jund
    Obelisk of Naya

It started out as a pure Legends deck, but I didn't have quite enough cards to sustain the idea, and I needed a lot of mana fixers in the artifact spot. On the other hand, it is always kind of fun to see people's eyes bug out when they're looking at Lorthos the Tidemaker next to Sheoldred, and of course Tsabo Tavoc just makes life fun when you can out and out assassinate Generals. I'm considering moving to a pure flavor based deck, using nothing but Legends, Planeswalkers, and their associated cards. For example, Chandra Nalaar, Chandra's Outrage, Chandra's Spitfire or Melira, Sylvok Outcast and Melira's Keepers. In that case I'll probably wait till 2012 comes out so that the 2011 prices drop and I can pick up the support staff for Gideon and Sorin.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Quick question: How will the release of the Commander decks affect the price of the cards the contain, if at all? There are a couple of cards I want for my Commander deck (Graaaaave Paaaaaaact, also Attrition) that are either a tad on the expensive side or no one has them. I was going to sell some cards for credit, but I don't want to commit to buying at a higher price if it'll drop in a couple of days.
    I am a forum poster. This is my signature.

G-Man by the wonderful Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show

Hextech Singed by the amazingly talented (and handsome) Thormag
    Steam Profile

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Alternatively, you could buy a Commander deck.

No one knows. Probably reduce them, as currently some of the Commander decks currently contain cards that in total cost more than the cost of the decks themselves.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

*snip*
    Thanks for all the advice!

You're right about the whole not really knowing what the deck should do thing. I had been considering making a W/B EDH deck for a while, but I didn't like any of the W/B legendaries. Then the Commander stuff came out and I saw the new W/B general. I basically threw together a bunch of cards of those colors, thinking something along the lines of "Oh, white and black have a lot of removal. And Wraths! And reanimators!" So yeah, the deck really isn't fully figured out.

And wow I have a lot of lifegain stuff. That's a much more useful way to sort things. The massive amounts of removal is there because the other people in my playgroup that I used to play with a lot had very big creature heavy decks, but I'm not playing with them so much anymore, so cutting some of the removal would be a good idea.

Hmm. Norn's Annex and Ghostly Prison were in the deck because I've found them to be very good in multiplayer games because no one wants to attack me when they're out, but now that I think about it they would be pretty bad in EDH, especially considering I'm not fighting super creature heavy decks anymore.

Yes, the idea was to kill them with Vish Kal. Equip Vish Kal with Whispersilk Cloak or one of the other things that gives him hexproof/shroud (though the cloak is ideal because it makes him unblockable), build up tons of +1/+1 counters on him, and attack, hopefully gaining enough life off of his lifelink ability to stay alive. Another thing I wanted to do with Vish Kal is sacrifice things to him while I have Martyr's Bond or Grave Pact out, to make my opponents sacrifice stuff.

Again, thanks for the advice, it helps a lot.

Another EDH related question: Is Gemstone Array any good in EDH? It is a mana battery, and it can give you something to do with your left over mana, but I've never seen it in an EDH deck. How good are mana batteries in EDH?
    Along similar lines, how good are Scute Mob and Dragonmaster Outcast in EDH? Are they good because EDH games last longer, so you can get the required amount of land easier, or are they bad because they're so easily killed (or at least at first, in the case of Scute Mob)?

Frankelshtien: I think the release of the Commander decks will effect some card prices, but not others. The prices of cards that already have a lot of copies in existence and are only being printed in one commander deck probably won't decrease in price much, but the rarer cards that are being reprinted may go down in price. EDH will probably make some of the older cards easier to find (Attrition, for example. I did a quick search and most online places are selling it for about $1.00, but it could be hard to find because it's an old card. It will probably become easier to find with the new printing). Sol Ring is the card I think is going down in price the most. It was at $15.00, now I'm seeing places selling the EDH version for $8.00.
    Last edited by Silviya; 2011-06-17 at 12:31 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Not a problem at all! By the way, I just counted again, there's actually 13 Reanimators. Not like that's a bad thing, but I should be correct anyways. I learned that sorting method from a friend of mine and it is so helpful. It's much more useful to be able to see the types of effects you have available.

Also, I'm not against single-target removal, just the Instant kind. Creatures, those I can get on board with. Nekrataal? Faceless Butcher? Sign me up! You should definitely put some of those kinds of cards in your deck, by the way, as you're playing a lot of creature reuse. Random creatures are way more useful to you than random Terrors. May as well get both out of the bargin.

The problem with taxing in EDH is that you don't need to stave off early pressure (when cards like Ghostly Prison really shine) because most people aren't dealing significant damage to you early on. With a starting life total of 40, the only early damage you should be taking is from cheaper Generals and random 2/2s. It does add up eventually, but you can usually hold off attacks by playing a couple early drops like Solemn Simulacrum (4 is pretty early in EDH, really) and be fine. Later on, the taxing won't really matter because players will be more likely to have the 2 extra mana to smash you with their 6/6es. Norn's Annex is absolutely awful because your opponents can just Shock themselves to get around it. That said, they still have their uses, I just don't think you need them, what with your General that kills target creature very dead and your large amounts of removal and life gain.

If you want to focus on Grave Pacting and General Damage, I suggest focusing your deck on that aspect. Cut some of the random dudes that just gain life (but not Wurmcoil Engine because he's so good with Vish) and go beatdown. There's plenty of awesome cards to go for the kill with in White/Black. Anything that makes a lot of tokens is sweet for you, especially if they're bigger. Captain of the Watch, for example, is a sick 9 more counters on your Vish. Cloudgoat Ranger is a nice 8. Grave Titan is bonkers. Hatred is, of course, the bomb. It helps to know what you're trying to do. You could have been going for a life gain deck (although why you would have chosen Vish Kal in that case is kinda puzzling, as Ghost Council is probably better).

On your questions in general, Gemstone Array is generally terrible because 1) There are better ways to use your mana, and 2) Being an artifact is pretty high-risk. If it costs 4, it better do something better than cost me mana to make more mana. On the 1/1s, they're not terrible (curves do exist in Commander) but my problem with Scute Mob is that all he does is attack and block. I want my creatures to do something more. Dragonmaster Outcast I just haven't found a place for. Seems good, just hasn't fit into any of the decks I want to build.

22. - Top - End - #52

BarbarianGuy

I actually really hate Faceless Butcher in EDH. With how many sweepers there are in the format, it's going to die sooner rather than later, and whatever threat you put under it will be the first thing down once the board resets. If it were a big enough body to be relevant it might be fine, since then it's a guy that stalls one of their creatures for a while, but as is it's just bad 1 for 1 removal. It's better as a very delayed blink for your own guys than removal for your opponents' threats.

If you have lots of equipment or other ways to make its body relevant it's fine though.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Well... I like it but not for most decks. It's just an example of the kind of card you want to play. Also, really good with sacrifice effects. Just saying.

I like it because I used to to turn my opponent's Bribery against them. Yeah, turns out my Ulamog wanted to be on my side of the table. He's in my Sedris, the Traitor King deck for the interactions with Unearth.

24. - Top - End - #54

BarbarianGuy

Yeah, things like sac effects and Unearth make him good if your deck is built around them, but as a general removal spell I can't stand him.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh yeah, before someone else says it:

Nin, the Pain Artist + Swans of Bryn Argoll/Stuffy Doll = Owww...
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

tgva8889:That's a really good point about the creature removal as opposed to instant removal. And I had never thought about Captain of the Watch and Cloudgoat Ranger, but that would work really well in the deck. Grave Titan I had considered, but I currently don't have one. If I get one, though, it'll go in the deck instantly. And Hatred would be amazing.
    Something I just thought of for the deck: Would Mimic Vat be any good? Sacrifice a creature to Vish, imprint it on the vat, and then activate the vat every turn and maybe attack with the creature, and then sac it to Vish. Particularly cards like Captain of the Watch and Cloudgoat Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofOblivion View Post

Speaking of Stuffy Doll related combos, I've always wanted to make a deck with Stuffy Doll + Pariah. Just because it would be silly.
    Last edited by Silviya; 2011-06-17 at 01:57 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofOblivion View Post

Yup. I like Nin because she is sort of like a Spellshaper that turns all your creatures into Braingeysers.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup. I like Nin because she is sort of like a Spellshaper that turns all your creatures into Braingeysers.
    Indeed. It's even better if said creatures are masochistic. Or otherwise benefit from being hurt. Of course, that's my inner Johnny trying to release dopamine. It's official: Izzet colors are Johnnyriffic.

I also have a legacyish casual deck that could use some work: I'm curious to see what you guys would recommend for it. You see, I don't often play Red and my black decks tend to be a bit more conservative towards life and resources, but Rakdos looks fun to play. So I probably had some very epic failures here.

Hellfire and the Black Rose
    Spoiler
    Show

Creatures
    4x Rakdos Pit Dragon
    1x Lyzolda, the Blood Witch
    3x Crypt Champion
    2x Gobhobbler Rats
    2x Ashenmoor Liege
    4x Soulbright Flamekin
    2x Cinder Shade
    2x Kulrath Knight

Enchantments
    2x Rage Reflection
    2x Fists of the Demigod
    2x Anthem of Rakdos

Instants/Sorceries
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Blightning
    2x Infernal Tutor
    2x Terminate

Artifacts:
    2x Quietus Spike

Lands:
    4x Badlands
    4x Blackcleave Cliffs
    4x Rakdos Carnarium
    4x Graven Cairns
    4x Lavaclaw Reaches
    Last edited by BladeofOblivion; 2011-06-17 at 03:54 AM.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

29. - Top - End - #59

BarbarianGuy

Does anyone else find Nin to be extremely jarring flavor-wise? I mean, her ability is definitely UR and makes complete sense, but her name just doesn't fit UR at all. If you told me there was a creature called Nin, the Pain Artist and had me guess her color, I'd never guess UR. B and BR seem much more fitting for that name.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone else find Nin to be extremely jarring flavor-wise? I mean, her ability is definitely UR and makes complete sense, but her name just doesn't fit UR at all. If you told me there was a creature called Nin, the Pain Artist and had me guess her color, I'd never guess UR. B and BR seem much more fitting for that name.
    Well, the "Artist" part fits UR perfectly. The "Pain" part much less so.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.