New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1520
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering X: Deal X damage to target thread.

I personally always liked Manabarbs + Tamanoa.

Recently, I've been playing around with Training Grounds + Soratami Savant. Dreamscape Artist helps too. Azure Mage and Azorius Guildmage are good complements as well.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Titan in the Playground

Mana Barbs + My opponents tapping lands for mana while controling Planeswalkers has been a personal favorite. Though nothing beats Caves of Koilos + Shining Shoal.

Edit: Planeswalker Points, the new competitive Magic rating system. What do people think about it?
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2011-09-06 at 03:15 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

So, between curse of the bloody tome, Mindshrieker, Silcaw, Sword of Body and Mind, and Jace the Mind Sculptor, I feel like it would be possible to build a good mill deck in innistrad/scars standard. Agreed?

4. - Top - End - #1504

I take it you mean Jace, Memory Adept?
    "You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
    "No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5] Mana Mage

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlich View Post
    So, between curse of the bloody tome, Mindshrieker, Silcaw, Sword of Body and Mind, and Jace the Mind Sculptor, I feel like it would be possible to build a good mill deck in innistrad/scars standard. Agreed?
    I dunno, I feel like a lot of the best mill stuff we've seen in a while is rotating out with Zendikar (which makes me wonder why they had so many good mill cards in the same block with the Eldrazi). I'm assuming you're talking about Jace, Memory Adept (As opposed to Mind Sculptor). It's fairly easy to build a deck around Jace, especially because he has his own, small cycle in M12 (Archivist and Erasure), which are extremely synergistic with each other and with Jace himself. In all honesty, Mindshrieker, and the Curse don't strike me as very impressive cards if you're going for the straight Mill archetype. The way I see it, for that mana, there is much more that you could be doing to mill them out. As for the Silcaw/Sword, you'd have to make more of a dedication to Metalcraft to make that work (Grindstone would probably work, and perhaps Shriekhorn if you want to add a Proliferate element).

Personally, if you really want to make mill work, I'd recommend going with Jace and co., along with some heavy control, and perhaps a Consecrated Sphinx or two if you can get your hands on it. The Silcaw/Metalcraft/Proliferate deck also seems silly and fun.

Of course, all of this advice is merely my opinion, and I've never been one to have very accurate/helpful opinions

I'm not sure if Mill would really work in Standard, but I sincerely hope it does. It seems that Wizards has been steadily trying to make better mill cards, and we'll have to see what rolls around come Innistrad.
    I am a forum poster. This is my signature.

G-Man by the wonderful Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show

Hextech Singed by the amazingly talented (and handsome) Thormag
    Steam Profile

6. - Top - End - #1506
    Ogre in the Playground

No, I rather doubt it.
    • Curse of the Bloody Tome is bloody slow.
    • Mindshrieker will get more reliable pumps from milling yourself, and should kill your opponent with damage long before an extra few cards from their library a turn matters...or you'll be dead because you'll have been spending your turns milling 2-3 cards instead of developing your board.
    • Screeching Silcaw is delicate, requiring metalcraft, and if you're able to hit with it, you're better off getting in with something stronger.
    • Sword of Body and Mind is going to end the game quickly if you get a few hits in, and the milling and extra damage are about equal. And you do have to attack.
    • Jace, Memory Adept, if he sees play, will likely be wanting to mill you, getting cards like Skaab Ruinator into your graveyard.

None of these help you survive a blistering start by Tempered Steel, the Acidic Slimes and versatility of Pods, the burn of RDW...they clog your deck with a large number of cards that do very little to stabilize or advance your board position.

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    No, I rather doubt it.
    • Curse of the Bloody Tome is bloody slow.
    • Mindshrieker will get more reliable pumps from milling yourself, and should kill your opponent with damage long before an extra few cards from their library a turn matters...or you'll be dead because you'll have been spending your turns milling 2-3 cards instead of developing your board.
    • Screeching Silcaw is delicate, requiring metalcraft, and if you're able to hit with it, you're better off getting in with something stronger.
    • Sword of Body and Mind is going to end the game quickly if you get a few hits in, and the milling and extra damage are about equal. And you do have to attack.
    • Jace, Memory Adept, if he sees play, will likely be wanting to mill you, getting cards like Skaab Ruinator into your graveyard.

None of these help you survive a blistering start by Tempered Steel, the Acidic Slimes and versatility of Pods, the burn of RDW...they clog your deck with a large number of cards that do very little to stabilize or advance your board position.
    Nitpick: milling singleton Pod targets is a significant, though unreliable, advantage. Sword of Body and Mind is known to sometimes disable Valakut by milling a pocket of mountains.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

8. - Top - End - #1508
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Nitpick: milling singleton Pod targets is a significant, though unreliable, advantage. Sword of Body and Mind is known to sometimes disable Valakut by milling a pocket of mountains.
    Oh, very true. I apologize if I sounded like it was completely useless. If you get lucky and hit key cards, then you're in great shape. SoBaM certainly can steal wins from Valakut by hitting enough mountains, but that is a weakness of Valakut specifically, And it certainly isn't foolproof, as an Inferno Titan can still smash you. If you can include mill as a back-up or alternate plan, then it can occasionally shine, and that works with SoBaM because it does a lot more than just mill. But dedication is usually just too much.

9. - Top - End - #1509
    Titan in the Playground

Also, Valakut won't be Standard Legal, so if we're talking about Standard it doesn't matter.

I feel like Mill will just end up being terrible sometimes when you play against the deck that's trying to, say, play graveyard abusers and you fill their 'yard for them.

10. - Top - End - #1510
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've got mixed feelings about the Planeswalker Points system. On the one had, it promotes playing the game more often, and there's no drawback for losing. On the other hand, I also dislike systems that reward mindless grinding (I already know several people who hop from shop to shop to shop in order to grind things like FNM and events for rewards).
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1511
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Will need revision when Innistrad comes out, tell me how terrible this truly is, on a scale from awful to bad:

4 Cancel
    4 Grindclock
    4 Memnite
    4 Curse of the Bloody Tome
    2 Mana Leak
    2 Chancellor of the Spires
    2 Mental Misstep
    2 Mindcrank
    4 Screeching Silcaw
    4 Sword of Body and Mind
    4 Hovermyr
    2 Mindshrieker
    22 Islands

12. - Top - End - #1512
    Titan in the Playground

The thing is, you still have to be good at the game. So you could go and attend 4 FNMs every week, but unless you managed to do well in any of them, you'd still only earn the same as one person who's good and wins their weekly FNM.

13. - Top - End - #1513

BarbarianGuy

Plus there aren't really any rewards for points short of Pro Tour qualifications, which grinding FNMs alone won't get you.

14. - Top - End - #1514
    Orc in the Playground

Will need revision when Innistrad comes out, tell me how terrible this truly is, on a scale from awful to bad:

4 Cancel
    4 Grindclock
    4 Memnite
    4 Curse of the Bloody Tome
    2 Mana Leak
    2 Chancellor of the Spires
    2 Mental Misstep
    2 Mindcrank
    4 Screeching Silcaw
    4 Sword of Body and Mind
    4 Hovermyr
    2 Mindshrieker
    22 Islands
    Well, your land balance is a bit off. 22 Islands usually won't cut it. It feels to me that you'd be much better off with more of a proliferate/Grindclock theme if you're set on playing artifacts. Perhaps cut the Hovermyr, the Mindshriekers, Memnites, the Curses, and the Chancellors for Shriekhorns, Tumble Magnets, Contagion Clasps, and Tezzeret's Gambits?

I'd also echo what tgva said, and suggest that Mill probably isn't going to work well with a graveyard-cetric Standard environment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There seems to be a blue trend in Innistrad involving dumping cards into your own graveyard, but that's not something a typical Mill deck would do. There's also the risk of it being very advantageous for an opponent (*cough* Boneyard Wurm *cough*)

To be honest, unless there is some amazing contribution to the strategy in Innistrad, I don't really see Mill working very well in Standard right now.

Spoiler
    Show

Steam Profile

15. - Top - End - #1515
    Troll in the Playground

So... 'bout that page 51...

All in favor of "Magic the Gathering XI: Vote Nicol Bolas for president 2012! " being the next thread title?
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

16. - Top - End - #1516
    Titan in the Playground

17. - Top - End - #1517
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    So... 'bout that page 51...

All in favor of "Magic the Gathering XI: Vote Nicol Bolas for president 2012! " being the next thread title?
    I still like it.

Or the other new one. That works too.
    Last edited by BladeofObliviom; 2011-09-06 at 08:38 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1518
    Orc in the Playground

EDIT: Stupid leaving pages open... *grumble*

Spoiler
    Show

Steam Profile

19. - Top - End - #1519
    Halfling in the Playground

Who got Innistrad cards? :D I got a completely new deck.
    Talky man broke thog's tusk!
    Incinerate.

Magic: The Gathering player & Wikipedian Extraordinaire!
    Thanks to Mad Mask for the awesome avi.

20. - Top - End - #1520
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Sorry for keeping this alive, but this thread is over. Everyone's migrated to the new thread. (Once a thread gets to 50+ pages, expect there to be a link to the next thread.)
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show