New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1458
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Things you never noticed II: I never noticed the first thread

A perhaps more interesting discovery: on the Draketooth family mural, both the descendants to the left of Girard's branch (presumably his cousins) clearly have the family facial marking. I think this probably proves that it is a dragonmark-like physical trait, not a tattoo.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Barbarian in the Playground

In 841, last panel, you can already see the Draketooth family tree in the corner behind Elan.
    Hi!
    --Timeless Error, Emerald Knight and Champion of Green in the Playground

A lot of clutter used to be here. Now it's here. Please click the link and read my extended signature!

Thanks to the amazing Aruius for my excellent Emerald Knight in Action avatar!

Legend, an awesome RPG. 1.0 now out!

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    A perhaps more interesting discovery: on the Draketooth family mural, both the descendants to the left of Girard's branch (presumably his cousins) clearly have the family facial marking. I think this probably proves that it is a dragonmark-like physical trait, not a tattoo.
    I don't think that's proof. They're his cousins; they're still Draketooths. Girard was part of that family, and so he too had a tattoo. There's no reason to assume Girard was the one who came up with the tattoo concept, just because he was the first we saw with one or because he's a first generation Draketooth human.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-03-24 at 05:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Bugbear in the Playground

The hobgoblin reporting to Redcloak here is wearing a unique blue uniform that I don't believe we've ever seen anywhere else - looks like Jirix's outfit without the accessories.
    That's because he's a policegoblin. First hint that Gobbotopia City is getting truly organized.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Sorry if this has already been posted, but i never noticed that Haerta the necromancer soul splice had flame designs on her robes.

funny how you can reread the series 4 or 5 times and still find little things like that
    Generation 4
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by avakeiya View Post
    Sorry if this has already been posted, but i never noticed that Haerta the necromancer soul splice had flame designs on her robes.

funny how you can reread the series 4 or 5 times and still find little things like that
    My brain refuses to admit that i didn't notice that. I choose to believe that Rich added them in last night to screw with me
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ettin in the Playground

When answering a question about the OOTS poster, I only just now spotted the Snarl eyes at the top (for the record, I've never bought the poster but I've looked at it before).

Also, speaking of the poster, who's the guy in the red down by Thanh on the "good" side? I think it's Sir Francois, but I'm not sure.
    Jones and Rodrigez appear to be on different sides of conflict. Foreshadowing?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Jones and Rodrigez appear to be on different sides of conflict. Foreshadowing?
    Possibly, although if you think about it, Jones has always been the aggressive one, whereas Rodriguez has just been...weird.

Lawful stupid and chaotic stupid, if you will. Rodriguez certainly seems less dangerous.

Also, Jones represented Belkar against Miko, yes? And Rodriguez represented Windstriker against Belkar? Not that those matter, but eh.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ettin in the Playground

It's probably reading too much into it(like, waaaay too much), but I find it interesting nontheless.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RNGgod View Post
    Lawful stupid and chaotic stupid, if you will. Rodriguez certainly seems less dangerous.
    I don't think a lawyer can ever be Chaotic, no matter how stupid, and when has Jones been stupid? Dude's VERY well-spoken. Though I guess they've lost a lot of cases.

Still, I'd call it Lawful Neutral and Lawful Stupid.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-03-25 at 05:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Dwarf in the Playground

I could totally imagine a Chaotic lawyer (they don't have to be lawful just because both have "law" in it). Imagine someone who likes to twist the law in court to let the most obvious suspect get away with their crimes.

Heck, I'd even say it's hard for a completely lawful character to defend a guilty defendant, because in essence it'd be his goal to circumvent the laws.
    Last edited by Valyrian; 2012-03-25 at 05:17 PM.
    "I'm particularly fond of our priesthood of the Benefactor, since our main duties seem to be sitting around and pretending that the Benefactor doesn't exist. When we're not stealing things, that is."
    Locke Lamora, The Gentleman Bastard Sequence

The pun is mightier than the sword!

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Troll in the Playground

I was under the impression that twisting the law to your purpose was a great example of being Lawful Evil.

I think the closest approximation of a Chaotic Lawyer would be one that threatens their opponents outside of court -- destroys their property, makes sure their family sleeps with the fishes -- to make them back down in court. They work outside the law to get what they want, and their lawyer image is nothing more than a facade. So the only chaotic lawyer is a fake lawyer, essentially.

A lawyer that pulls out obscure but valid laws, subtly skews juries' views, and nabs a narrow 'not quite beyond reasonable doubt' acquittal would be Lawful, to me. Lawful Evil, but Lawful.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-03-25 at 08:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I don't consider either of them evil. I consider them both idiots. Bumbling fools who show up when it's most annoying.

That said, I called Jones lawful because he's, well, a lawyer. He uses the law. He's just bad at it, as the record suggests. Rodriguez is a complete fool, and dances about crazily. He reminds me a bit of Elan- chaotic in that sense. Also, he's too dumb to know that Jones blames him for every loss unfairly.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Dwarf in the Playground

I went back thru some of the preceding strips and noticed panel 7

"Girard's human, as would be any family members"

Um, no....
    Thank you Ceika for the avatar

15. - Top - End - #1155

EvilClericGuy

Strip 816 panel three. Orrin, Penelope, and their baby girl. The girl does not have a dragonmark. This is proves it is a tatoo.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    Strip 816 panel three. Orrin, Penelope, and their baby girl. The girl does not have a dragonmark. This is proves it is a tatoo.
    I think it probably is a tattoo, or painted-on. But the picture doesn't prove it. We only see the baby's right cheek. It could be on her left cheek and we wouldn't see it.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ettin in the Playground

I think she's the dark red-haired girl in #841, who has it on her right cheek. There's also the idea that it doesn't develop until puberty and grows from there.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    It could easily develop over time (from what I recall, that's how actual dragonmarks work).

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I never realized that Elan keeps, in his inventory, "the" stick that the Order of the Stick is named after. He certainly didn't pick that stick up from the middle of the desert.

20. - Top - End - #1160

ClericGirl

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0775.html

I didn't realise that there was foreshadowing that the elven ambassador was actually Zz'dtri (or however you spell it).

EDIT: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0732.html

Also, even when gaining access to a tyrannical empire to rescue his party, Durkon is still too lawful to lie to the guard.
    Last edited by oppyu; 2012-03-28 at 06:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Troll in the Playground

Here's something I never noticed. When The Resistance is first introduced, Niu is carrying the big container of pineapples that Belkar later pops out of.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2012-03-28 at 10:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    I never realized that Elan keeps, in his inventory, "the" stick that the Order of the Stick is named after. He certainly didn't pick that stick up from the middle of the desert.
    Whoooooaaaaaa. Awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    To repeat the above: whoah.

I would never have noticed.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Dwarf in the Playground

I never noticed at the time, but this is the strip that V changes from using a headband/circlet thingy (which was disappeared when soul spliced) to a ponytail holder. Not that a change of hairstyle is important, but it was something that I noticed.

...Guess major mojo magic can really frizz-out a 'do.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ettin in the Playground

Two things I just noticed:
    V calls Hinjo "Lord Hinjo." I know V usually refers to people by a title of some sort, but after calling the Azurites dreadfully tedious, I wouldn't expect that level of respect from him/her.

Both Yikyik and Yokyok are cut off from saying $#!+, as does their counterpart. As for their successor, well, I guess you could say it went the other direction for him.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Two things I just noticed:
    V calls Hinjo "Lord Hinjo." I know V usually refers to people by a title of some sort, but after calling the Azurites dreadfully tedious, I wouldn't expect that level of respect from him/her.
    I see no contradiction in this, if you're implying one - V's previous insulting tone was more likely reflecting of her mental state at the time then her normal attitude towards Hinjo/the Azurites.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In Strip 244 shows his ability to track by smell for what I think is the first time, by using that to know that female is in fact, .

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Troll in the Playground

Belkar's IRA is not an acronym for "Irish Republican Army". I actually realized this a long time ago, but it's still amuse me.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1169

I dunno how I didn't notice it the first time, but I only just noticed the joke about electromagnetic vectors in 838. As an engineer, that reference makes me incredibly happy. :D

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Here's something I never noticed. When The Resistance is first introduced, Niu is carrying the big container of pineapples that Belkar later pops out of.
    Just checked OtOoPCs and yeah, it's the exact same stick. That's pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Wonton; 2012-04-02 at 04:52 PM.
    Rules that supersede Rule 0:

Rule -1: You're all there to have fun. The GM and the players should never do anything that would limit people's fun, for any in-game or real-life reason.

Rule -0.5 (corollary): That means that if someone's fun is getting in the way of other people's fun, that person needs to change how they're playing.

30. - Top - End - #1170

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Belkar's IRA is not an acronym for "Irish Republican Army". I actually realized this a long time ago, but it's still amuse me.
    Yeah, that confused the heck out of me when I first read "Calvin and Hobbes". I was very young at the time, but still... yeah. Wacky cultural misunderstandings ahoy!