New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Looking for Fighter ACF's

Ladies and Gentlemen of the playground! I humbly ask for help in making a list of alternate class features for the much maligned fighter. The only ones I know of are:

the various features from PHB2
    Dungeoncrasher
    Zhentarim fighter

I'm sure there are far, FAR, more of these. I mean, come on, it's the FIGHTER for crying out loud. I ask for this because I plan on making a fighter character in the near future. Hopefully one with actual class features instead of just feats...

One last thing. If we could keep to ACF's from actual 3.5 material, that'd be nice. Dragon and such are usually excluded from my playgroup because we don't have access to them.

Thanks in advance my friends!
    Last edited by mamothpriest; 2011-06-17 at 11:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for Fighter ACF's

Hit-and-Run Fighter from Drow of the Underdark. Loses heavy armor and tower shield proficiencies for untyped +2 initiative and dex to damage against flatfooted targets.
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Thug from UA. It's... Eh.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The different Races books also have Racial Substitution levels for fighter. Which I guess count as ACFs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Armor of God (CC, p 48): Lose a bonus feat. As a immediate action, lower your will save to +0 and add your normal bonus to your AC.

Armored Mage (CM, p 32): lose medium and heavy armor, can pick an arcane class and cast in light armor, but only spells level equal to your fighter level +1.
    Aligned Strike (CC, p 48): lose bonus feat, gain ability to align your weapon.
    Counter Attack (PHB 2, p 45): Lose bonus feat. Use a full round action to make an attack, when you're attacked during that round you may attack your attacker as an immediate action.

Darksong Knight Substitution Levels (CV, p 38): d8 HD, add Perform (dance)
    2nd level: Dancing Feint (use Perform (dance) to feint)
    6th level: Favored Enemy (yochlol)
    8th level: Combat Dancing (+2 dodge bonus against AoOs, +2 attacks using Spring Attack)

Dragonscale Husk (DrM, p 12): lose armor proficiency, gain scaly hide.

Drow Fighter (DU, p 58): Gain +2 initiative and Dex to damage against flat-footed enemies, lose heavy armor and tower shield proficiency.

Dungeon Crasher (DS, p 10): lose bonus feats, gain bonuses to break doors and traps. Gain a bonus on bullrush and do extra damage.

Dwarf Fighter Substitution Levels (RS, p 146): d12 hitdice, gain knowledge: dungeoneering
    1st level: Axe Focus (+1 attack with axes), lose feat
    2nd level: Racial Foes (+2 damage vs orcs, goblins, and giants), lose feat
    8th level: Heavy Armor Expertise (+1 AC in heavy armor), lose a feat

Elusive Attack (PHB 2, p 44): Lose bonus feat. Make a full round action to make one attack and gain +2 dodge bonus to AC, increases with levels.

Half-Elf Fighter Substitution Levels (RD, p 157): d8 hitdice, extra skills
    1st level: Blade focus (+1 attack with longsword and rapier), lose a feat
    2nd level: Main Gauche (AC bonus from TWF), lose a feat
    6th level: Confusing Banter (bluff or diplomacy check while fighting to add to attack), lose a feat

Kobold Fighter Substitution Levels (RDr, p 108): gain profession: miner and search
    1st level: Spear focus (+1 attack with spears), Dodge. Lose bonus feat, medium, and heavy armor proficiency
    2nd level: Constitution Boost (+2 Con), lose feat
    4th level: Strength Boost (+2 Str), lose feat

Overpowering Attack (PHB 2, p 45): Lose bonus feat. Make a full round action to make one attack which deals double damage.

Planar Fighter (PlH, p 32): gain knowledge: the planes as class skill
    4th level: Planar Study (+2 bonus damage vs outsiders and extraplanars), lose bonus feat
    8th level: Align Puissnance (make weapon aligned), lose bonus feat
    12th level: Aura of Stability (dimensional anchor on self), lose bonus feat

Raptorian Fighter Substitution Levels (RW, p 161):
    1st level: Encumbered Flight (can carry medium load flying), lose heavy armor weapon proficiency
    4th level: Airborne Strike (+2 damage when flying higher than opponent), lose feat
    8th level: Fast Flight (+10' to glide speed), lose feat

Resolute (CC, p 48): lose a bonus feat. As an immediate action, reduce your BAB by half and add that amount to your will save.

Stealthy (UA, p 58): Lose bonus feats, gain sneak attack.

Thug (UA, p 51): No first-level bonus feat, only light armor. Extra class skills, adds Urban Tracking to bonus feat list

Warforged Fighter Substitution Levels (RE, p 130): d12 hitdice. Add craft and intimidate to class skills
    1st level: Battle Hardened (+3 to initiative checks and saves vs fear), lose bonus feat
    2nd level: Bonus Warforged Feat, replaces fighter feat
    4th level: Body as Weapon (+2 damage with slams or warforged weapons), lose bonus feat

Zhentarim Figher Substitution Levels (CV, web): Add bluff and diplomacy to class skills.
    3rd level: Bonus Feat: Skill Focus(intimidation)
    5th level: Extended Intimidation: intimidation lasts longer
    9th level: Swift Demoralization: itimidate as a swift action

All of that was found here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite it being the whole theme of the class, Fighter ACFs not named Dungeon Crasher don't really bring much variety to the class. Ranger has so many ACFs that the class actually winds up being more customizable than a Fighter.

Anyway, here are some:
    • Thug (UA): Lose shield and medium+ armor proficiency and your first bonus feat, gain 2 skill points per level and a handful of class skills.
    • Sneak Attack (UA): Lose all bonus feats, gain Sneak Attack as Rogue. Explicitly works with Thug and negates its bonus feat loss, so people use them together enough that they are confused as being one thing (Thug).
    • Aligned Strike (CC): Lose a 4th level or higher bonus feat, treat weapon as carrying one of your alignments.
    • Armor of God (CC): Lose an 8th level or higher bonus feat, as an immediate action you can sacrifice all of your base Will save to add it to AC.
    • Resolute (CC): Lose a 2nd level or higher bonus feat, as an immediate action you can sacrifice half your BAB to add to your Will save.
    • Armored Mage (CM): Lose medium and heavy armor proficiency, you can cast spells from one spellcasting class of your choice without incurring ASF whose level is less than your fighter level +2.
    • Dragonscale Husk (DM): Lose ability to gain proficiency in armor, ever, gain gross shedable scales for +6-12 AC and 5-20 energy resistance that doesn't stack with any ability that improves AC and has a low max Dex.
    • Half-Elf Substitution (RoD): Lose 1, 2 and 6's bonus feat, gain Weapon Focus and Two-Weapon Fighting with sad weapons, the ability to make a nearly impossible skill check (for a Fighter) to gain +2 to attack when fighting defensively, and the pity of everyone at the table.
    • Warforged Substitution (RoE): Lose 1, 2 and 4's bonus feats, gain +3 to initiative and saves versus fear, a "Warforged" bonus feat instead of a fighter feat, and +2 damage when using slams and warforged component weapons. d12 hit dice, only 2 class skills on sub levels.
    • Dwarf Substitution (RoS): Lose 1, 2 and 8's bonus feats, gain Axe Focus, racism and nothing, respectively. d12 hit dice.
    • Kobold Substitution (RotD): Lose 1, 2 and 4's bonus feats, gain Spear Focus & Dodge, Constitution Bonus (+2) and Strength Bonus (+2).
    • Raptoran Substitution (RotW): Lose 1, 4 and 8's bonus feats, gain Encumbered Flight (medium load), +2 damage when above enemy, and 10ft faster flight.

Try not to weep in sight of others.

edit: DAMN IT! Outdone, and faster!
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-06-17 at 04:53 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Dragon Magazine #310 has a bunch of variant fighters. They butcher the fighter bonus feat list, but some of them are of interest as dips.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

In either Sandstorm or Races of Stone a fighter can swap Tower proficiency for exotic shield proficiency.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You know, as little as (most) of these ACFs do for the Fighter, the real problem is that they don't come in to replace the Fighter class features of the odd Fighter levels.

With the obvious exception of Zentharim Fighter. They got that one right.
    "I don't function in society. I'm a mercenary. I blow society up."

Cpl. Shore Pibald, Schlock Mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    ... Music ... causes Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Bah. Lycar is absolutely right.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycar View Post
    With the obvious exception of Zentharim Fighter. They got that one right.
    And the Dead Levels filler. Applied Force would be quite in line for a Dungeoncrasher.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

One issue of dragon has the arcane fighter ACF, where you can swap feats for spell-themed abilities, such as spell resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727