New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up A Campaign Setting 2 (Now Voting: Theme!)

Tallied!

Voting closes on this poll... enh, whenever I wake up tomorrow. I don't expect a major reversal in the last hour.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quick everyone, vote for Heroic, just to confuse Afro!
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently not.

So, it should come as no surprise to anyone that the winning Theme is Genesis!

Now, onto the next poll, a very important one with many ramifications. Please read the descriptions carefully when deciding.

Voting for the setting's Magic Level has begun.

Requests for "no magic" or similar will not be entertained.
    Last edited by afroakuma; 2011-06-21 at 09:39 AM.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Very High Magic
    This is the world at its beginning. Magic should be there, warping it away from what it naturally would be.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Orc in the Playground

Not to start trouble but would it be possible to have a situation where druidic/primordial divine magic is Very High but arcane magic is non-existent at first--because it hasn't yet been invented...

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Moderate Magic

Maybe magic as used by people and creatures is still in the process of being created?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The WitchKing View Post
    Not to start trouble but would it be possible to have a situation where druidic/primordial divine magic is Very High but arcane magic is non-existent at first--because it hasn't yet been invented...
    That's up to the Build Team to decide.

8. - Top - End - #248

I agree with this.

EDIT: Ninja'd by afroakuma!
    Last edited by Timeless Error; 2011-06-21 at 09:44 AM.
    Hi!
    --Timeless Error, Emerald Knight and Champion of Green in the Playground

A lot of clutter used to be here. Now it's here. Please click the link and read my extended signature!

Thanks to the amazing Aruius for my excellent Emerald Knight in Action avatar!

Legend, an awesome RPG. 1.0 now out!

9. - Top - End - #249

Low Magic, please.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm imagining a new world where the magic is still shifting from its creation so as a result
    Very High Magic
    CHAOS!

11. - Top - End - #251

I vote for High Magic. Yes, I am a big fan of doing new things, but I feel like that amount of magic would fit a new world. Very High magic would imply that intelligent creatures can change the world with average effort, and Moderate is just too low for a world that has just been created. Also, having very high magic might cause otherwise non-magic classes to expect to have some magical abilities.
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Tallied through Omeganaut.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Put me down for High.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote for Very High.
    Last edited by Chainsaw Hobbit; 2011-06-21 at 09:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255

The specifics are all up to the Build Team to figure out, but I think we can offer suggestions. If we do go with Very High Magic - which is where my vote is going - then I think some pretty "different" things can be done with it. I don't think magic needs to be all that useful to people in this virgin world: i.e., the magical rapid transit, magical sewage, and magical telepresence that might be expected to make an appearance under Very High Magic can stay at home. Magic should be prevalent in the Garden World, but not necessarily harnessable by its inhabitants except at great risk. I think that Very High Magic should change our newly-created world in the following ways:

1. Nearly everyone, so close to the dawn of time itself, should wield some degree of magic. Children should be starting flames with their fingers and force of will, warriors should be sharpening their swords with a quick invocation alone. I'm thinking innate magic here, simply by virtue of their proximity to Creation. But really, very little: when I say starting flames, I mean replacing flint, and getting sparks out of thin air - not calling a roaring fire into being. This would provide flavour more than anything.

2. Magic should be absolutely everywhere. Okay, maybe not literally everywhere, but if one covers several miles in a day the chances of him coming across some wild magical force should be nearly 100%. I'm thinking fantastical landmasses, wild Gates, and perhaps even pure leftover (or currently working) Creation magic, visible like the Aurora Borealis.

3. All of the above being said, real magic-users should be less common than in your average D&D setting. Only, those few should be extremely powerful: able to regularly call on innate and outside forces inconceivable to cut-price mages in Planescape. ...maybe this would cause magocracies?

Excuse my idea-rant.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

The ancient, primordial magic of old is the current, present magic of now. The power of the Gods themselves still courses through the realm. There have been no great cataclysms that sunder the links between mortals and power, or earn the ire of the gods. This is a time of naivety, a time of novelty, a time when health and safety isn't even a glimmer of a whisper of a dream. Sorcery would be boiling in the blood of the first people, still tingling with the awesomely powerful magics that brought them into being. This is the generation touched by the Gods, walking through their direct, firstborn handiwork. Anything less than Very High Magic doesn't quite do it.
    Awesome Pomjmur, Giff Sniper avatar from Afroakuma's Planejammer Campaign drawn by Silkenray.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Banned

The sort of "setting magic", that is, the magic of gods and the primordial shapers and the like, is, as Afro said, going to be up to us. With the Genesis theme, it's likely to be quite high, for obvious reasons.

This poll is more about how much magic mere mortals have. If you think mortals (e.g. Clerics, Druids) should be able to tap into the hefty amounts of magic around, then High Magic or Very High Magic is probably for you. On the other hand, if you think that mortals shouldn't be able to, then Low Magic is probably more your fit.

If you literally mean Divine vs. Arcane, that's a detail that's not being asked in this poll; that will depend on how Arcane magic gets fluffed. This is literally whether or not a given level of magic should be available to characters, in some form or another.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordZarth View Post
    The specifics are all up to the Build Team to figure out, but I think we can offer suggestions. If we do go with Very High Magic - which is where my vote is going - then I think some pretty "different" things can be done with it. I don't think magic needs to be all that useful to people in this virgin world: i.e., the magical rapid transit, magical sewage, and magical telepresence that might be expected to make an appearance under Very High Magic can stay at home. Magic should be prevalent in the Garden World, but not necessarily harnessable by its inhabitants except at great risk. I think that Very High Magic should change our newly-created world in the following ways:

1. Nearly everyone, so close to the dawn of time itself, should wield some degree of magic. Children should be starting flames with their fingers and force of will, warriors should be sharpening their swords with a quick invocation alone. I'm thinking innate magic here, simply by virtue of their proximity to Creation. But really, very little: when I say starting flames, I mean replacing flint, and getting sparks out of thin air - not calling a roaring fire into being. This would provide flavour more than anything.

2. Magic should be absolutely everywhere. Okay, maybe not literally everywhere, but if one covers several miles in a day the chances of him coming across some wild magical force should be nearly 100%. I'm thinking fantastical landmasses, wild Gates, and perhaps even pure leftover (or currently working) Creation magic, visible like the Aurora Borealis.

3. All of the above being said, real magic-users should be less common than in your average D&D setting. Only, those few should be extremely powerful: able to regularly call on innate and outside forces inconceivable to cut-price mages in Planescape. ...maybe this would cause magocracies?

Excuse my idea-rant.
    I completely agree.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Very High Magic

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Moderate all the way home!
    Avatar by Derjuin. It's awesome.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Banned

Let's get some Very High up in here.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    The sort of "setting magic", that is, the magic of gods and the primordial shapers and the like, is, as Afro said, going to be up to us. With the Genesis theme, it's likely to be quite high, for obvious reasons.

This poll is more about how much magic mere mortals have. If you think mortals (e.g. Clerics, Druids) should be able to tap into the hefty amounts of magic around, then High Magic or Very High Magic is probably for you. On the other hand, if you think that mortals shouldn't be able to, then Low Magic is probably more your fit.

If you literally mean Divine vs. Arcane, that's a detail that's not being asked in this poll; that will depend on how Arcane magic gets fluffed. This is literally whether or not a given level of magic should be available to characters, in some form or another.
    In that case, my vote is for Very High Magic.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Tallied through WitchKing.

24. - Top - End - #264

Garden Genesis, this is turning out rather...common.

Oh well.

Very High please.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Hardly common; I don't know of any other setting using the Genesis theme.

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin View Post

Oh well.

Very High please.
    Yeah... I've never seen this before. It's cliché, perhaps, in the sense that Very High Magic Genesis Garden World seems to fit together, but that's not a bad thing.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like to see the normal races of the world be generally Low Magic, but that there is access to powerful magic through gods, magic-imbued areas and artefacts. Because it seems like this vote would be regarding the overall level of magic, or the highest level available, I'm going for Very High Magic.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Very High Magic it is!
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by LordZarth View Post

Excuse my idea-rant.
    I don't think we will be rewriting a bunch of spells for the campaign setting, though there likely will be some tweaks to spell lists and classes. This is a campaign setting for DnD and as such we would like to include as much material from the PHB as possible. Things will be refluffed in a manner that makes sense for the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin View Post

Oh well.

Very High please.
    Is having an expected outcome a bad thing?
    Last edited by Thinker; 2011-06-21 at 11:23 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Low. Mayhaps the gods are still in control, with people at the mercy of the world.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive