New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default nimbus of light + persist spell: is this right?

So nimbus of light acts as a light that can be discharged for a ranged touch attack dealing 1d8 +1 damage for every round it has been active, and has a minute per level duration, which means if stretched it can get to +10 damage per level, which is +60 per hour. If one were to persist it and discharge it after 8 hours, it should deal 1d8+480. I realize that it is not the pinacle of blastomancy, but do have this right? Is my math wrong here?
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: nimbus of light + persist spell: is this right?

You might have missed where Nimbus caps that +damage at your caster level.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Unfortunately, max damage is capped at your caster level.

Edit-Ninja'd...
    Last edited by Apophis; 2011-06-18 at 12:32 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, well that sucks. I thought I had an amusing little combo there, oh well. Too much work anyway, plus probably not worth a 5th lvl slot, nor turn attempts.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I'm pretty sure there's language somewhere saying that Persist can't be used on any spell that can be discharged. I don't feel like looking it up, but I'm pretty sure that's what killed Chuck.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    So nimbus of light acts as a light that can be discharged for a ranged touch attack dealing 1d8 +1 damage for every round it has been active, and has a minute per level duration, which means if stretched it can get to +10 damage per level, which is +60 per hour. If one were to persist it and discharge it after 8 hours, it should deal 1d8+480. I realize that it is not the pinacle of blastomancy, but do have this right? Is my math wrong here?
    Persistent Spell can't be applied to spells who's effects can be discharged:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A persistent spell has a duration of 24 hours. The persistent spell must have a personal range or a fixed range. Spells of instantaneous duration cannot be affected by this feat, nor can spells whose effects are discharged. You need not concentrate on spells such as detect magic or detect thoughts to be aware of the mere presence of absence of the things detected, but you must still concentrate to gain additional information as normal. Concentration on such a spell is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell’s actual level.
    (Emphasis added)
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2011-06-18 at 01:33 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.