New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Ugh...Burrowing through walls...

We've all seen it. We bust our asses building dungeons with for the players, trying desperately to provide them with challenges that will curb their unbelievably short attention spans, and the moment they come across a door they can't open, or a guardian with a riddle, or whenever they just want to make their own shortcut, the little pricks decide to dig through the dungeon walls, and of course they always find a way to do so.

Are there any non-cheesy, non-railroad, and non-player-exploitable ways to prevent players from doing this? It's sort of an ongoing issue in my campaigns, but I don't just want to give an ultimatum to my players or anything like that. I only want them to actually make an attempt to navigate dungeons in a way somewhat resemblant of how I intended. Does anyone have any good ideas for circumventing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha
    Fates I think you are a psychotic genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    Fates, you are a god amongst men. Like, the god of bad luck.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Ugh...Burrowing through walls...

Having Prismatic Walls hidden inside the walls, floor, and ceiling might give them pause. The first time they have to make the save for every single magic item on their person or have it be destroyed and make one for themselves or be shunted to another plane, they'll reconsider their burrowing attempts.

Depending on the level of play though, it might be hard to explain why those are there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

In modern buildings, breaking through walls can be a bad idea for lots of reasons. Some are load-bearing walls. Others have wiring or piping running through them (or for extra fun, both at once). And finally, the things on the other side of the wall could be walled off for a reason - sometimes, dungeon designers like to be extravagant and put a walkway above a pit of lava or acid. Enter through the door, you're fine. Enter through the wall, you're falling.

In a dungeon that's not constructed but naturally formed (such as a series of tunnels left behind by burrowing creatures and then taken over by mad cultists who weren't too mad to put in doors) there may still be burrowers living in the walls. If it's easy to tunnel through, then something may well have done that before the PCs did. Also, natural deposits could have been left in the stone. Is there dangerous natural gas? Perhaps there's a deposit of gold or jewels, which attracts the unwelcome attention of rust monsters or folugubs?

Ultimately, the best way to deal with this is to remember that tunnelling takes a long time and is noisy (unless the players have burrow, earth glide, dimension door, etc, but you should really be designing your adventure with their capabilities in mind instead of throwing stock scenes and expecting that to work well). A populated dungeon will have someone notice pretty quickly. An unpopulated one would already have been looted if getting through obstacles was that easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don't remember where it is, but there are guides for building 4 dimensional dungeons somewhere. Hard to navigate that via tunneling.

There are printed adventure modules (won't spoil which) where the BBEG is inside a mobile adimantine room.

If tunneling is splitting the party, ambush time. It's awfully hard for the wizard to cast spells when grappled by an earth elemental inside a wall.

If regular traps aren't working, try a spell trap of move earth. That kicks out a burrower and makes anyone with a bad fort save unlikely to try again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

At higher levels, magical barriers are pretty the only way to prevent walls from becoming meaningless. One dungeon I made for characters maybe 15ish level was all virtually destructible and blocked or mostly blocked ethereal travel, teleportation, etc.
    Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
    I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
    To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
    Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Make doors portals and have each room be a different demiplane.

Or teleportation circles (or have the doors be "trap's" of Greater Teleport) with the rooms of the dungeon having no real spatial relationship with one another.

Every room in the dungeon can be on a different planet if you want.

Then there is also making the Dungeon an Ice Assassin of an Aleax Animated Object. The walls, floor, and ceiling are all really part of on single giant creature that is totally immune to harm.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Make doors portals and have each room be a different demiplane.

Or teleportation circles (or have the doors be "trap's" of Greater Teleport) with the rooms of the dungeon having no real spatial relationship with one another.

Every room in the dungeon can be on a different planet if you want.

Then there is also making the Dungeon an Ice Assassin of an Aleax Animated Object. The walls, floor, and ceiling are all really part of on single giant creature that is totally immune to harm.
    I am quite sure that that is a everything-proof way to fix the OP's problem. Since Tippy fixes are the best fixes. Maybe it's a bit overkill for a tribe of goblins hideout? But high level dungeons, sure!
    So MasterofFates, what is the level for these dungeons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    And finally, the things on the other side of the wall could be walled off for a reason
    Time to fish stuff on the scp wiki!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

9. - Top - End - #9

The low level way to discourage digging through walls in dungeons is to fill them with lava (Dwarf Fortress is fun for the whole family).

If you really have the resources then back the regular walls with Riverine. It ceases to be so useful once the party gets access to Disintegrate but before that it works pretty well.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

In this particular case, the party's 10th-12th level. Everyone's t2>, and the only character with any sort of teleportation is the warlock, who only adventures with the party occasionally. It's a relatively low-magic setting, and so I'm primarily looking for mundane ways of handling this, but of course there are NPC spellcasters around.

I generally try to design dungeons with the PC's abilities in mind, but I can never seem to be able to keep track by higher levels of who can do what. This group in particular is very crafty, which I suppose is preferable to having a totally vanilla party. It doesn't even bug me all that much that the players are undermining my plans- that's a necessity in a healthy D&D group; it's only that they keep falling back on the same uninteresting tactic, and for in-game reasons I don't want to make every dungeon out of adamantine or anything like that.

I guess in large part this thread is more for creative inspiration and less for a fix to a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha
    Fates I think you are a psychotic genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    Fates, you are a god amongst men. Like, the god of bad luck.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Male

You could always give the party situations where it's clear that they need to burrow through walls to get what they want. Plan on them doing so, and design challenges explicitly with that in mind on occasion. Then later on, give them a clear, spelled-out-beforehand deterrent for doing so, such as the aforementioned lava walls and gas pockets. Then once they're used to having both of those be options, have the tunneling itself be a challenge, because they need to tunnel, but the lava and gas pockets are known hazards, and they need to find ways to survive them.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2013-11-16 at 04:18 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Making the quest time sensitive is on way to discourage hacking through walls - though hacking through walls can be suprisingly quick with adamantine weapons and power attack! A mere 50-60 damge per round gets through 3ft of stone in about a minute. So, by the rules, walls don't have much of a chance against mid- or high-level characters. (Or really against barbarians of nearly any level.)

So you might want to just consider planning for tunneling.
    Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
    I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
    To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
    Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The low level way to discourage digging through walls in dungeons is to fill them with lava (Dwarf Fortress is fun for the whole family).
    As long as they don't dig straight down and have a bucket of water with them, all that does is give them an infinite amount of cobblestone.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

biggrin Re: Ugh...Burrowing through walls...

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    As long as they don't dig straight down and have a bucket of water with them, all that does is give them an infinite amount of cobblestone.
    Thank you for making my day.
    To prevent any misunderstanding from the community at large I would like to publicly state that while the Jack of legend is my ancestor, I myself have never killed a giant. I also have no intention of hunting giants in the past, present, or future, and have the utmost respect for our large friends. My familial name is a hand-me-down, not a derogatory slur, and I once dated a gigantis for five months. Please stop coming to my house with torches,
    Jack

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I tend to favor the load-bearing wall solution for man-made dungeons. Knock a big chunk out of the wall and a big chunk of the ceiling it was holding up comes crashing down. Works just as well for shallow burrows and soft earth.

Being prone to breaching with explosives, its something that I thought of a while ago.

T2 and better, you have to accept that walls aren't a meaningful barrier after level 7 and do something else. Larger complexes that make magically bypassing or pounding through the wall next to every well made door horridly impractical is always a fun start.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2013-11-17 at 06:46 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Well.. dealing with more "low magic" load bearing would be where my mind naturally goes to this problem. Because you KNOW that players aren't going to have Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), they didn't bring iron shod bracing beams with them, etc. They dig a hole and, well... chances are it'd fall. If you want a good basis for what a collapse like that would do? I'd rip from the bit off the Earthquake spell on dealing with a collapse for basis of saves, damage, effects.

Of course the other part is, well, it's slow. Even if they try to attack the dungeon/cave walls with their blasts and weapons, between hardness and HP on something like 20 feet of stone it's going to take a long time. And if someone else is there, something they wanted to avoid.... it'll be after them.

Now if I'm being a real ass? I'd point out something like the sword that guy is using, no matter how magical... just isn't meant for mining. It's not a pick axe. The damage it deals with his strikes is also being dealt to his sword, and will eventually get notched and damaged. Some guy basically turns his +3 Frostbrand Holy Silver Greatsword into a +3 Improvised Hunk of Rebar... well... they'll stop doing that.

Course you can't stop them from doing it. but if you make it harder for them to do it by logical consequences. "What... you didn't brace and shore up the hole you're digging? Roll a save against the collapse as you get close to breaking through and the tunnel is weak", "You used your sword as a pick axe? It's a useless twisted hunk of metal, no longer a honed weapon", "Yeah, after 1 hour of hacking at the stone wall and blasting with your power a bunch of fiends are standing behind you, tapping their toes, looking at you like shaved monkeys and going '... are you done?'.".

They want to still do it, but 'logically', having to hire miners, equip them, supply them, guard them when they're working, etc? More power to them. But at some point someone usually realizes, "... you know, this is boring, and about 15 times harder than just dealing with the frontal approach, and we're STILL getting ambushed by everything in the dungeon as they come to ruin our digging..."
    Last edited by ArcturusV; 2013-11-17 at 06:59 AM.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

People, do notice that the entire party was tier2+, and level 11-12.
    I am pretty sure that the burrowing though walls part was at least partly figurative, considering how much travel magic is available.

So if you want your players to stop randomly tunneling around the challenges then i suggest making sure they contain something the players actually need, like a key, or part of a coordinate, a hint for the next riddle, heck, even information about where they need to dig to reach the next room
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, this sort of thing just encourages an unhealthy, combative relationship between the DM and the players.

I honestly think the best idea is to sit down with your players and say "Okay, guys. I know you like finding creative solutions to problems and bypassing encounters, but I spend a lot of time designing these dungeons for you to run through, and if you skip everything I suddenly have nothing left to throw at you. Could we please start going through dungeons normally?"
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

I took that to be everyone is tier 3 and lower. Less than Tier 2. My bad.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

If you really have the resources then back the regular walls with Riverine. It ceases to be so useful once the party gets access to Disintegrate but before that it works pretty well.
    I would like to add, it doesn't even have to be lava it could be water from local under ground wells :) Having the dungeon suddenly fill up with a few thousand gallons of water will suck. hehe
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

For evil cultist zone, there is the Unhallow spell (level 5) with dimentionnal anchor tied.

For non cultists, there are some Wall spells, like Wall of Iron to prevent Passwall.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArcturusV View Post
    Judging by his comment about the party warlock and the fact that it says "less than T2" with a mathematical symbol, that's probably correct. The OP probably isn't the only one with this issue and some of those others may have sorcerers or better to deal with.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Time to fish stuff on the scp wiki!
    Yea, not like I wanted to sleep tonight or anything......

thanks for that link, might use some of this in one of my one shots.
    Last edited by Averis Vol; 2013-11-17 at 08:15 AM.
    A thing I made! The Spirited Blade; warrior of the mind come by and tell me what you think.

May glory flow forever more to The Mad Hatter for bringing Haeros; Master of the Transcendant Style to my avatar box!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Do your monsters just sit in room in sleep mode until a PC enters the room? Because in the time it takes to punch through a wall, they could have aggro'd the whole dungeon.

Also have them make knowledge architecture rolls or suffer cave ins. Rather, just have most tunnels they try and make, if they're crude and fast (no struts, not careful digging of load bearing arches), collapse on them. Then see if they'll wise up and put ranks on knowledge architecture.
    I can do a thousand now.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Swaoeaeieu View Post
    I am quite sure that that is a everything-proof way to fix the OP's problem. Since Tippy fixes are the best fixes. Maybe it's a bit overkill for a tribe of goblins hideout? But high level dungeons, sure!
    So MasterofFates, what is the level for these dungeons?
    If you're at a level where a tribe of goblins are still a threat, avoiding them by going through the walls is arguably one of the few ways of surviving the encounter and is deserving of XP.

At levels where Prismatic Walls and the like are in play and useable by BBEG's designed to be fought and killed by the party (or the party themselves are using them), then why shouldn't they be used?

It's like the CIA saying "nope, I can create this custom nigh-undefeatable firewall designed to protect the nations secrets, but instead I'll stick with AVG downloaded off the internet."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

in a short lived campaign I had a party tho tried burrowing through walls and doors in an underground cavern.... I repeatedly pointed out that said complex seemed to extended underneath the lake..... you guess what happened from there.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Won't necessarily work against summoned Thoqquas. The gas pockets might though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    T2 and better, you have to accept that walls aren't a meaningful barrier after level 7 and do something else. Larger complexes that make magically bypassing or pounding through the wall next to every well made door horridly impractical is always a fun start.
    Level 5 for Druids.

But by the time the party gets stuff like Persisted Greater Blinking, the challenge is enemy spellcasters. Anything non magical like rocks and walls is just scenery.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by ArcturusV View Post
    Since one is a warlock, I think they are T3 and lower.

It would've been nice had the OP NOT tried to confuse everyone with bad mathematical symbolism.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Won't necessarily work against summoned Thoqquas. The gas pockets might though.
    Thoqquas don't make that big of a hole, though. Unless the characters are kobolds, they aren't going to squeeze through a 1' diameter passage.

That said, in one dungeon delve I did at one point figure out how much movement it required for a thoqqua to corkscrew through a wall to leave a big enough passage (although one which would have a doughnut-hole bolder in the middle), and quickly realized that I'd rather use the spellslot for something else.

30. - Top - End - #30

The most natural result I think is the 'its loud, get a random encounter' answer. It scales to party CR, since ostensibly they're exploring places that are about the right difficulty for them (and if they aren't, it doesn't really matter if they dig through the walls or go through the doors). To help with this, it can be useful to design 'dungeons' that are actually just safe or rarely traversed paths through hostile areas, so there's a pool of hostile things that could come investigate that the party simply wouldn't encounter at all if they had moved more quickly or remained more quiet.

Another thing to do is design dungeons that aren't very compact. Instead of having a 1ft stone partition between rooms, have snaking corridors that bend and go to another room 30ft or 50ft away. Tunneling can be done, but it becomes harder to know exactly what way you have to dig. If there are features like underground streams, etc, this can basically translate to a different kind of random encounter table for digging - one that includes flooding, breaking into a different cavern system, collapses, etc. Tippy's 'each room is on a separate plane' is the most extreme case of this kind of methodology, but you don't have to go that far - just make them spaced far out and make sure things aren't on nice grid lines, so digging 'straight' will miss the next room, you have to drop 10 feet too.

You could also simply houserule solid stone and metal to have 100x the normal hitpoints if they are thicker than 6 inches. If you need a logical justification, you can base it on the idea that for thin sheets you just have to create a crack and apply pressure at the edge of the crack to make it spread through the sheet, but for a large enough solid 'block' of material its going to be more like chipping away at it, you can't easily get it to fail catastrophically. That means that the 1 minute tunnel from the adamantine dagger wielding barbarian becomes a 100 minute tunnel. This won't do squat against the party summoning a burrower though.