New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: E6 Prestige Class Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I don't presume to speak for everyone, but in the E6 game I'm currently in, the CL 6 limit is a hard limit as far as crafting is concerned. If you can get your CL up higher, your spells benefit from it, but you can't craft anything that requires above CL 6, no matter what.

I don't know how common this rule is, but I would imagine that we're not the only group to play like that. Just throwing that out there.
    The last time I read through the E6 rules, I couldn't find anything that limited spell level or CL, but I'd set a hard limit (on spell access and items) if I were DM'ing a game. It might be 8 rather than 6, because things like Arcane Thesis, and Archivists are common enough. Heck, a Chameleon with Master Spellthief can get CL12 in E6. I'd let him use that for spellcasting, but (I'm not remembering the wording of Chameleon's non-prereq clause) even if it was RAW, I wouldn't let him create items that way.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    The listed CL for items is irelevant anyway. To create one, you only need a CL high enough to cast all the required spells. Which is a much longer list of items than just those with a CL listed of 1st to 6th (or 8th ).

But if you're willing to add some cartload of cheese, E6 is as breakable as the rest of the game. I'm sure you can chain gate solars and infinite wishes in E6, as long as you have enough rule books.
    Nothing in E6 prevents the acquisition of wealth/magic items. A single Candle of Invocation can start the process going.

3. - Top - End - #63

RogueGuy

In E6 I have always run a fuzzy level of items over level 6. As fewer and fewer people can build an item the price skyrockets. I normaly have CL 7,8,9 and 10 each cost exponentialy more than the last until the stated price level for artifacts is reached.

4. - Top - End - #64

HalflingPirate

It was said before, but is worth repeating. The CL of an item is not a prereq.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Reminds me of making a list of items availble in E6 as well. Got to get my hands on the Item Compendium.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    It was said before, but is worth repeating. The CL of an item is not a prereq.
    This does not seem to be true, based on some wording in the magic weapons section of the SRD:

Quote Originally Posted by d20srd
    Caster Level for Weapons
    The caster level of a weapon with a special ability is given in the item description. For an item with only an enhancement bonus and no other abilities, the caster level is three times the enhancement bonus. If an item has both an enhancement bonus and a special ability, the higher of the two caster level requirements must be met.
    This really does seem to treat the caster level of the weapon as a "requirement" rather than just the level of the weapon.

Now, this is also contrary to other crafting descriptions, so it's possible even the original designers didn't understand the rules they had created. (Lack of team communication? Wouldn't be the first time.)

7. - Top - End - #67

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    This does not seem to be true, based on some wording in the magic weapons section of the SRD:

This really does seem to treat the caster level of the weapon as a "requirement" rather than just the level of the weapon.

Now, this is also contrary to other crafting descriptions, so it's possible even the original designers didn't understand the rules they had created. (Lack of team communication? Wouldn't be the first time.)
    I'm not able to look it up at the moment, but IIRC, the DMG errata has the information. I don't remember if they specified something for weapons or not.

Edit: Curmudgeon answered it well in the Q&A thread.

Edit2: I mentioned it earlier, and thought I should write up the Chameleon.

Chameleon (RoD)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements: Human, Doppelganger, or Changeling; Bluff 8 ranks, Disguise 8 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks; Able Learner
    Benefits: One Focus per day, of particular note is the Arcane or Divine Focus which grant 0th, 1st, and 2nd level spells. Arcane Focus plays well with Master Spellthief (granting a much higher CL and no ASF in light armor). The spells come from any list so gems like Haste at 1st level are in play.
    Useful for: Spellthief1/Caster4 or Spellthief2/Wizard3 whichever gets you 2nd level spells, so that you qualify for Master Spellthief. Note: Spellthief2 will let you recast stolen 2nd level spells. Bard or Binder also make decent entry, but it will practically require Practiced Spellcaster (Chameleon) to have anything like a decent CL. Check with your DM about qualifying as an Illumian, etc. They have the human subtype but not race.
    Other Notes: A Chameleon nee Bard can cheese eighth or ninth level spells with Talfirian Song and Extra Slots/Spell -- likewise for a Naenhoon Illumian with Turn Attempts and Heighten. Not recommended unless you are in a TO build challenge.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2011-06-27 at 12:17 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The errata is as follows:

Caster Level
    Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 215
    Problem: The last two sentences in the section on Caster
    Level are ambiguous and potentially misleading.
    Solution: Replace with this text: For other magic items, the
    caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster
    level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

Technically speaking this means that if you can cast the spells, you can create the item. In effect this means that anyone who can cast Bear's Endurance can create a Amulet of Health +6, with no regard for level at all. Weird.

EDIT: However; per the E6 PDF FAQ, see the following:

Q: Can you make high-level items as a
    low-level caster in E6?
    A: No, caster level requirements for
    magic items are treated as hard
    requirements.

I knew I saw something about CL in there.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2011-06-27 at 12:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Even the E6-quote says "caster level requirements". The listed caster levels for magic items are not part of the requirements to begin with.
    There are at leas two magic items with the explicit requirement "caster level must at least be 6th" in the addition to the "CL 6th" part in the item description. That part is also seperated from the requirements by a semicolon, to clearly seperate them.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Even the E6-quote says "caster level requirements". The listed caster levels for magic items are not part of the requirements to begin with.
    There are at leas two magic items with the explicit requirement "caster level must at least be 6th" in the addition to the "CL 6th" part in the item description. That part is also seperated from the requirements by a semicolon, to clearly seperate them.
    Plus weapon and armor enhancement bonuses. Seems like +2 is as high as they get in E6.

11. - Top - End - #71

HalflingPirate

Plus weapon and armor enhancement bonuses. Seems like +2 is as high as they get in E6.
    CL 9 (for a +3) is fairly attainable in E6, and I wouldn't necessarily call it cheese. CL 15-20 might be problematic.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

PaladinGuy

I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation. The question posed does not imply the limited scope that your interpretation of the answer would result in.

Strictly, the question was, as a low-level caster, can you create high level items? The answer to which was essentially a qualified, "no", whereas the DMG errata would allow you to do exactly that. Interpret however you like, but the lore also disagrees with your interpretation, namely in that:

"...a +4 sword can’t be made by a human
    wizard, but it could be crafted by a Titan
    (which makes for great god-stats). That’s a
    sword that no mortal can make."

A +4 sword would require a 12th level caster. Therefore, we can probably assume that anything on that level or higher is explicitly off limits. Therefore, anything that could be created with only 3rd level spells but has a caster level of 12, should be off limits too. Given your interpretation of the FAQ; however, this would be possible:

Belt of Dwarvenkind
    This belt gives the wearer a +4 competence bonus on Charisma checks and Charisma-based skill checks as they relate to dealing with dwarves, a +2 competence bonus on similar checks when dealing with gnomes and halflings, and a -2 competence penalty on similar checks when dealing with anyone else. The wearer can understand, speak, and read Dwarven. If the wearer is not a dwarf, he gains 60-foot darkvision, dwarven stonecunning, a +2 enhancement bonus to Constitution, and a +2 resistance bonus on saves against poison, spells, or spell-like effects.
    Moderate divination; CL 12th; Craft Wondrous Item, tongues, creator must be a dwarf; Price 14,900 gp; Weight 1 lb.

So on the one hand, a low level character can't create weapons that a high level caster could, but the same low level character could create wondrous items that a high level caster could? Specifically in this case, a low level caster can't create a level 12 item, but they can create a level 12 item. I appreciate that weapons have a specific rule here, but the clear goal of E6 is to limit the level of power to that intended for ECL 6. The logic and the lore simply doesn't jive with your interpretation of the FAQ.

EDIT: Further evidence to this effect accompanies the original post made in 2007 that gives an exhaustive list of the majority of items available in E6, none of which have a CL above 6. Barring permanent CL increases, I don't think E6 characters were intended to use items above CL 6.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2011-06-27 at 01:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    So on the one hand, a low level character can't create weapons that a high level caster could, but the same low level character could create wondrous items that a high level caster could? Specifically in this case, a low level caster can't create a level 12 item, but they can create a level 12 item. I appreciate that weapons have a specific rule here, but the clear goal of E6 is to limit the level of power to that intended for ECL 6. The logic and the lore simply doesn't jive with your interpretation of the FAQ.
    Weapons have a CL requirement. Wondrous Items don't. There is nothing Inherently CL12 about a Belt of Dwarven Kind. The default belt has a CL12, but you can meet all of the same requirements, and make one at your CL.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

PaladinGuy

Weapons have a CL requirement. Wondrous Items don't. There is nothing Inherently CL12 about a Belt of Dwarven Kind. The default belt has a CL12, but you can meet all of the same requirements, and make one at your CL.
    Yes, that same rule that I acknowledged in the very quote you're referencing for weapon caster level? I am familiar with it. However as I said earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by E6 View Post

Q: Can you make high-level items as a
    low-level caster in E6?
    A: No, caster level requirements for
    magic items are treated as hard
    requirements.
    So...from here you can conclude one of two things:

You can not make high level items.
    You can make high level items that aren't weapons.

The question then becomes, "How do you define what is or is not a high level item?". Is it the spell necessary to create the item? Is it the caster level? And if it's just the spell necessary to create the item, then what's the purpose of the question? If you can't cast the spell, you already know that you can't create the item. There's no point asking the question unless it's pointed toward caster level. In which case, Caster Level is the benchmark for measuring the "level" of the item.

If that's true, then the author's answer is a "No". Any other answer completely nullifies the premise around which E6 is based.

EDIT: An interesting consequence of disregarding caster level entries allows you to create Sovereign Glue (CL 20, spell requirement Make Whole), but Universal Solvent (CL 20, spell requirement Disintegrate) is impossible to make.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2011-06-27 at 01:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Interestingly it's only the enhancement bonus on weapons that have the CL requirement. You could create an effective +7 weapon (by virtue of a +2 enhancement bonus, and +5 worth of special qualities that you can cast the spells for) without issue.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll add in the two PrC's that I've played in E6.

Beastmaster
    Requirements: Complete Adventurer. A beast master needs 8 ranks in handle animal and 4 ranks in survival, as well as skill focus (handle animal). A ranger or druid is the most "natural" entry, but a barbarian could also enter easily.
    Benefits: Your animal companion gains +4 levels (so a Druid 5/BM 1 would have the animal companion of a 9th level druid), or you could gain a 4th level animal companion such as a crocodile. You also gain Wild Empathy as a 1st level druid. Class chassis: d10 HP, +2 Fort/Ref, +1 BAB, 4 skills/level.
    Useful for: Good for having a high HP tank at level 6 - similar to getting leadership but less powerful (though you could do both of course).
    Optimization: My own build was "Supermount Lite," Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1, with Devoted Tracker and feats to advance both the paladin mount and the beastmaster companion - the result was a 6HD mount with 6 bonus HD from paladin and beastmaster.

Alienist
    Requirements: Complete Arcane. An alienist needs 8 ranks in knowledge (the planes), as well as augment summoning (and likely spell focus (conjuration), 3rd level summoning spells, and non-lawful alignment. A wizard (conjurer) is the strongest entry, but cleric and archivist can also enter easily.
    Benefits: Your familiar continues to advance, and all animals summoned now gain the pseudonatural template in place of fiendish or celestial. The major benefit is that 1/day the summoned creature may use True Strike instead of Smite Good/Evil, gaining +20 to that attack. The drawback is you can only summon pseudonatural creatures, however in E6 this limits you from the dretch, small elementals, and the lemure - none of which are spectacularly good. Class chassis: d4 HP, +2Will, +0 BAB, 2 skills/level (includes spot/listen and gather info!).
    Useful for: Playing a summoner, of course.
    Optimization: If you're a conjurer, you can trade away your familiar for standard action summoning, and then regain the familiar through the Obtain Familiar feat (C. Arcane). For 3rd level summons, the pseudonatural ape and bison are both superb, as is 1d3 wolves.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

So that's what the beastmaster is for. I looked through the class several times and it seemed easily available, but I failed to see the point. Must have missed that.

[My mistake, class already listed.]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Sandstorm has a couple PrCs worth looking into. Most aren't worth it, but these two are:

Ashworm Dragoon - 6th level entry, you gain an ashworm for a mount (with +2 HD) and a bonus to ride and handle animal while mounted on your ashworm.

Sand Shaper - 6th level entry, it doesn't advance your spellcasting but you gain access to a large number of spells, you get a CL boost while in a wasteland (or carrying 15 lbs of sand), and you gain the very cool Sand Shape ability (you can mold sand however you please).

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Optimization: My own build was "Supermount Lite," Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1, with Devoted Tracker and feats to advance both the paladin mount and the beastmaster companion - the result was a 6HD mount with 6 bonus HD from paladin and beastmaster.
    By the way, how are you getting a paladin mount with 6 base HD? Heavy Warhorse is 4HD, I'm having trouble thinking of one available at level 5 with more.

Speaking of E6 and cohorts...

It appears at a glance that while player characters can gain feats until they have nothing else they would ever want, a cohort is trapped at level 5 and can therefore never gain more feats with more experience. Despite being only one level less than the PC character they are attached to (while in normal d20, a cohort cannot exceed 17 until epic levels), they end up being even further behind as the other characters all get feats.

Was this ever addressed? Can a cohort begin acquiring bonus feats once they are capped in E6? Would it be a reasonable rule to allow this?
    I was about to say that a cohort who gains enough XP to pass the level barrier just up and leaves, but that appears to be a 3.0 rule that didn't carry over. Instead, cohorts are indeed stuck. They can't even gain the XP that the others use to get epic feats, since their XP total itself is fixed to one below that needed to level up.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    By the way, how are you getting a paladin mount with 6 base HD? Heavy Warhorse is 4HD, I'm having trouble thinking of one available at level 5 with more.
    You could War Beast it up to 5HD? I dunno where to go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy_1.0 View Post
    Gnorman... just wondering... what are your rules for dismembering corpses, more specifically pulling an arm or leg off to use as a club?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Interesting. How does beastmaster stack with natural bond?

If a Druid 5/Beastmaster 1 takes natural bond, they take a 7th level druid companion (which BM lets them qualify for), which would make their effective druid level 3, but then natural bond boosts it back up to 6, yes? So that Dire Eagle Warbeast flying mount with the full 6th level Druid +4 bonus hit dice is a possibility?

I'd normally hesitate to trade away that extra wildshape, but in E6, extra wildshape uses are just a feat away...all you really end up losing is a single level 3 spell slot? Beastmaster ends up being an awesome druid PrC in E6. (I suppose it's not a terrible single level dip in normal d20 either...)
    Last edited by Talya; 2011-06-28 at 06:47 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

SwashbucklerGuy

Here are some:

Cancer Mage (Book of Vile Darkness)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements: Any evil; Base Fort of +5; Heal 3 ranks, Hide 6 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 2 ranks, Move Silently 6 ranks; Great Fortitude, Poison Immunity, Toughness; Must have been a victim of a disease & a poison.
    Benefits: Gain all martial/armor/shield proficiencies; Solid Skills; Sneak Attack +1d6, Disease Host (only gain the positives to a disease); Contagion (once per day per class level pass the spell off through touch); Cancerous Companion (A tumor that acts as a pseudo-companion with an int of 7, blindsense 30ft. and the ability to use a Cancer Mage's spell or spell-like ability by itself as a standard action once per day); Tatterdemalion (can craft light armor out of scraps of clothing and rags) and Poison (once per day per class level pass the spell off through touch).
    Useful for: Any Cleric 2/Monk 1 or Bard 2/Monk 1 can slip into this prestige class which is perfect for an urban-based campaign in need of a villain. More based around flavor (be it disgusting) the prestige class offers some classic abilities for any type of terrorist or cultist.
    Other Notes:Obviously the ability to exploit only the advantages of diseases arises...

Mortal Hunter (Book of Vile Darkness)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements: Any outsider; Any evil alignment; BaB +5; Move Silently 3 ranks, Speak Language (Common), Survival 5 ranks; Alertness, Mortalbane and Track.
    Benefits: Spells (only 1st-level but if you have a high enough charisma you can nab a daily casting of Cause Fear, Charm Person or Protection from Good); Mortal Hunting (acts just as a Ranger's favored enemy but applies to any mortal creature, any. It also stacks with a Ranger's so choosing Humanoid (Humans) or Arcanists is always a solid choice) and Mortal Skin (this is the ability you took the class for. Once per day as the polymorph self spell the Mortal Hunter may transform themselves into any mortal humanoid form. Now this ability gets better when duration comes in as if you have the humanoid flesh sample you would be imitating you get a permanent effect, if you have flesh used with the same type you get an hour duration and if the flesh isn't the same type at all you get a duration of ten minutes.)
    Useful for: Any fifth level Ranger (or even a Ranger 3/Fighter 2) can slide right into this prestige class that offers a 1/day permanent polymorph self ability. The other prime attraction to this is the fact that YOU CAN BE THE TERMINATOR!
    Other Notes: Because of the Outsider requirement you'll have to be tricky with that race you pick but with the Otherworldly feat & races like the Neraph (who are basically the Predator species...) it isn't too difficult

Soul Eater (Book of Vile Darkness)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements: Any Living Non-humanoid; Any evil alignment; Bab +5; Knowledge (Arcana) 2 ranks; Alertness and Weapon Focus (claw or other natural weapon).
    Benefits: Energy Drain: Once per round through a natural weapon you may bestow a negative level onto a foe.
    Useful for: All you're really getting is the Energy Drain but for any simple melee type that uses natural attacks it is a strong ability to throw on top.
    Other Notes: Warforged make an excellent entry to this and with the Knowledge (Arcana) requirements the Mage Slayer feats offer a nice synergy to possibly pick up.

Silver Key (Dragonmarked)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements: Dwarf; Disable Device 4 ranks, Hide 4 ranks, Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering) 4 ranks, Open Lock 4 ranks; Dodge; Must be a member of House Kundarak and Trap Sense +1.
    Benefits: Solid skills; Armored Adjuration (A Silver Key may wear light armor when casting any abjuration spell and suffer no ASF); Trap Master (+1 to Disable Device, Search & Spellcraft checks when interacting with any 'security measure.'); Warder's Keys (Masterwork thieves tools hidden a lead pouch that provide a +2 circumstance bonus to Craft (Trapmaking), Disable Device, Open Locks and Search to find traps in addition to a +2 competence bonus to Disable Device and Open Lock checks.); Ward Sense (Basically gain trapfinding but if you already have trapfinding you instead gain a +2 bonus to Disable Device, Search and Spellcraft checks involving traps. May use Spellcraft to identify magic traps & wards within 60ft. as if using Detect Magic or Read Magic.); Craft Hands (You gain the ability to make Disable Device and Open Lock checks from upwards of 60ft. away in addition to being able to move/manipulate any object weighing up to 5 pounds.) and Invisibility (Once per day you may use the Invisibility spell with a caster level equaling your character level).
    Useful for: Any rogue who would favor thievery over murder. The prestige class brings in a +6 bonus to Disable Device and Open Lock (not to mention being able to use such skills from up to 60ft away) in addition to some nice little abilities. This is probably the best option for any thief in E6, baring Artificers...
    Other Notes:

Beast Heart Adept (Dungeonscape)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements: Handle Animal 8 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 4 ranks, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4 ranks; Animal Affinity and Spend one week along in a dungeon complex.
    Benefits: Monstrous Companion (You gain a pet, somewhat akin to a Druid's animal companion, but it comes from such a list: Ankheg, Blink Dog, Giant Eagle, Giant Owl, Hippogriff [4 Hit Die], Krenshar [4 Hit Die], Otyugh, Owlbear, Pegasus or Worg); Monster Empathy (Gain a pseduo-wild empathy ability like a Druid but towards magical beasts [with no restriction on their intelligence score]. You may also use it on animals and aberattions [with an int score of 1 or 2] but at a -4 penatly]) and Monster Handler (You can use Handle Animal on magical beasts & aberrations [with an int score of 1 or 2].)
    Useful for: Not only does it open up a whole slew of new creatures to gain as pets through Handle Animal (hello Hyrda!!!) but you gain a sweet new pet (I'd recommend the Pegasus as it has so mant benfits). Full BaB also makes this an attractive to any warrior hoping to increase his mounted prowess.

Master Inquisitive (Eberron Campaign Setting)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements: Gather Information 6 ranks, Search 3 ranks, Sense Motive 6 ranks and Investigate.
    Benefits: Solid skills; Zone of Turth (once per day cast the spell as a SLA); Bonus Feat (choose from a large list of skill-based feats); Contact (Gain a third level npc who provides non-combat assistance through services or information once per week [and demands a small compensation].) and Discern Lies (once per day cast the spell as a SLA).
    Useful for: Any Urban Ranger 3 can immedaitly hop into this prestige class which does a good job at simulating a detective. Handy for any urban or high intrigue-based campaign the prestige class serves its niche job well.
    Other Notes:

Walker in the Waste (Sandstorm)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements: Any nongood; Head Endurance and the ability to cast at least three spells of the Sand or Thirst domain as divine spells.
    Benefits: Improved Heat Endurance (gain the feat); Desiccating Touch (As a touch attack for 2d6 damage [or 2d8 to plants & water-based elementals] you draw the moisture from a creature); The Wasting (Once per day you can transform some sand into a disease and upon chucking it at an opponent within 20ft. potentially mummify them) and Local Drought (In a 20ft. radius around your character you raise the temperature band one level higher or to hot [whichever higher].
    Useful for: Third level clerics gain quick access to this prestige class which serves as a handy tool in building a villain for any desert-based campaign/adventure. Desiccating Touch is a useful attack as few creatures have any damage reduction towards it, The Wastings is a pretty potent disease which makes for a strong narrative tool should a player character be struck with it and Local Drought seems ineffectual but should a Walker be able to get the heat level to Extreme Heat they can start to really play with a party who uses any metal items in battle).
    Other Notes: You'll lose a caster level going in, so be prepared for such sacrifices

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

One interesting point with Soul Eater - if you thrown it on a caster chassis, say Duskblade, and then use your E6 "epic" feats, you can pick up Improved Energy Drain and then Spell Drain. The ability to steal memorized spells from opponents is definitely worth 2 feats IMHO.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, we are now at more than 40 prestige classes. Does anyone have a good idea how to improve on this? Something like making more detailed descriptions with step by step explainations how the individual abilities interact with each other and maybe a rating how good the classes are?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post

I was about to say that a cohort who gains enough XP to pass the level barrier just up and leaves, but that appears to be a 3.0 rule that didn't carry over. Instead, cohorts are indeed stuck. They can't even gain the XP that the others use to get epic feats, since their XP total itself is fixed to one below that needed to level up.
    I've lost the character sheet, but I think it was through advancing the mount class feature along another step with an E6 feat.

With cohorts, I suppose you could have a crafting artificer to spend all that experience on building you stuff, but that's rather limiting and cheesy.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

26. - Top - End - #86

NinjaGuy

Would Arachnomancer be good? It adds a few spells to a spell list caster like a Warmage or Duskblade.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding the not-prerequisite caster levels of items, it's a very common misconception that it's to be included among the prerequisites, mostly due to the pre-errata DMG. I'm not surprised that this misconception is still hindering progress for E6.

Regardless of whether or not an item's caster level should determine whether or not it should be available, there can still be Midgard Dwarves from Frostburn in an E6 setting, which can craft any magic arms/armor, wondrous, or ring items regardless of the prerequisites, including intelligent items, epic items, and even artifacts of those types. There are still monsters with higher level spellcasting capabilities such as Nagas, Lammasus, and Dragons which can take item creation feats or cooperate to contribute part of the prerequisites for a given item. Caster levels of spell-like abilities are still caster levels and can be used to qualify for item creation feats and to meet item prerequisites, and outsiders with high caster levels can be summoned by E6 characters via Incantations.

Limiting what items are available according to their default caster levels is nothing short of arbitrary. The designers and their rules never intended for an item's caster level to be a factor in its acquisition. The misconception that an item's default caster level is a prerequisite for creating it should not impose any unfair limitations on an E6 game, especially since >6th level prerequisites can be easily circumvented per the above paragraph.

Interesting. How does beastmaster stack with natural bond?

If a Druid 5/Beastmaster 1 takes natural bond, they take a 7th level druid companion (which BM lets them qualify for), which would make their effective druid level 3, but then natural bond boosts it back up to 6, yes? So that Dire Eagle Warbeast flying mount with the full 6th level Druid +4 bonus hit dice is a possibility?

I'd normally hesitate to trade away that extra wildshape, but in E6, extra wildshape uses are just a feat away...all you really end up losing is a single level 3 spell slot? Beastmaster ends up being an awesome druid PrC in E6. (I suppose it's not a terrible single level dip in normal d20 either...)
    Actually, a Druid 4 with Natural Bond can obtain a "level -6" companion. Per the text, you must be at least a 4th level druid and your modified level for its benefits must be greater than zero. The "X level or higher" headers of the table are in direct conflict with this when you consider non-core effect such as Natural Bond. Those headers are convenient for quickly seeing what would be available to a druid of a given level in a core-only game, but they're not hard limits on when you can gain those companions.

Regarding a Druid 5/ Beastmaster 1 with Natural Bond, you would have to count your total level for the Animal Companion class feature first, which means Druid+Beastmaster+3. Individual effects can be applied in the most beneficial order, but a single effect cannot be split up so its bonuses can be applied in different orders. Since both classes get a class feature of the same name, it's the same class feature and must be counted as a singular effect. You wouldn't gain any benefit from Natural Bond with a "level -3" companion, but for a "level -6" companion you would count your full character level.

Throw in some Bloodline level shenanigans and you can have an animal companion with epic feats in E6. Taking your Bloodline levels before your second class level, each one costs you 1,000 XP. Spending one virtual level's worth of XP will get you five Bloodline levels. Go something like Druid 3/ Wizard 1/ Sorcerer 1/ Beastmaster 1, using this ACF for Wizard and Sorcerer, and your effective Druid level for your animal companion is (3+5)+(1+5)/2+(1+5)/2+(1+5+3)=23. Take Exalted Companion (BoED) and get a Celestial version for a "level -1" and you're still above the first epic bonus at 21, and your companion can take Vow of Poverty and get the bonuses for 16 HD. Get two virtual levels worth of Bloodline levels and your effective Druid level is 38, for a 26 HD Celestial Riding Dog that can take Epic Vow of Poverty.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Just want to point out that Horizon Walker is pretty good for Barbarians, since it can make you immune to fatigue.

29. - Top - End - #89

NinjaGuy

Arachnomancer (DotU)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements:
    Alignment: Any Evil.
    Base Save Bonus: Fortitude +4
    Skills: Climb (+3), Knowledge (nature) (+4)
    Spells: Able to cast spider climb, summon swarm, and web as arcane spells
    Special: The candidate must undergo a scarification ritual
    Benefits: Poison save bonus, Speak with spiders, Spider magic (adds spells especially spider summoning spells)
    Useful for: Arcane Casters that can get the Fort Save high enough to add some spells to their spell list.
    Last edited by Talionis; 2012-07-24 at 02:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    I can't do a full post right now, but warweaver can be gained by wizards and sorcerers, and can just be squeased into by a bard with versitile spellcaster + heighten spell. This makes for a great buffer wizards or sorcerer.
    A sorcerer would be stuck with 2nd-level spells based on the lost caster level, though.

If early entry tricks are allowed, however, you could enter War Weaver as early as 4th level by going Illuman Wizard 3 with Improved Sigil: Krau; still get 3rd-level spells, CL is back to 6th, and quiescent weave 2 isn't bad at all.

Mystic Theurge (SRD)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements: Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks, Able to cast 2nd-level divine spells and 2nd-level arcane spells.
    Benefits: Improve caster level in both arcane and divine casting classes
    Drawbacks: Requires early-entry tricks
    Optimization: Iluman with Krau sigil and Improved Sigil: Krau feat means that you could technically meet the casting requirements at level 2 with (Arcane) 1 / (Divine) 1, using the improved sigil power to heighten one spell from each discipline to 2nd level. The skill requirements push you to level 3, however.

Should get you 5th level arcane 4th-level divine (CL 6 for either, from Krau sigil), or vice-versa. Double 5th (meaning double 3rd-level spells) if you can sneak in the extra two skill ranks by character level 2.

Using an Illuman base, I like Archivist 1 / Wizard 2 / Mystic Theurge 2 / War Weaver 1 -- you are limited to 2nd-level spells, but you get a fair number of them and your divine spells work through the Eldritch Tapestry.
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2012-08-28 at 11:53 AM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota