New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Death of Me

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Death of Me

You awaken in a large cell with a group of several other creatures. The tortures and interrogations that you have been put through since arriving in the massive Belestor prison complex finally ended hours ago, after being tossed into a cell you collapsed with pain and exhaustion as you look around you realize that the lot of you are all chained to the walls at the ankles. The walls of the cell are lined with blue runes that run over the whole of the walls. There is a single barred window looking out into the night, it's darkness falls into the cell the only light coming from a single torch on the wall.
    Last edited by Torgarn; 2011-04-14 at 10:53 PM.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

Previous avatars by terry576 and Derjuin

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: Death of Me

Torn wakes up and looks around. "What? No hot towels?"

She studies the runes on the wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+12)[20] to understand what the runes do.

Slight of Hand to hide Ring of Protection (1d20+3)[7]

Use the Alternate Form spell-like ability to turn into a Gnome and try to wriggle out of the manacle. (1d20+4)[10] (+ whatever bonus there would be for the turning into a gnome if spell-like abilities are working.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Gusion growls hollowly, as he looks at the wall and attempts to pull himself free of his restraints.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+4)[16]
    Just in case it helps: Knowledge (the Planes): (1d20+9)[20]

And Str check (1d20+4)[6]

Not going to try a sleight of hand check because everything else is either a spare, or too big to really hide (gauntlets, cloak, armor).
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Torn: As you attempt to change your form the runes on the wall glow a fiery bright red and a spike of pain runs through your head like a fiery poker keeping you from maintaining the concentration necessary.

Gusion: Your thrashing attempts to break our restraints are futile. You recognize the marks on the walls as Symbols of Binding, runes created to interfere with magic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Your ring was found and confiscated by the guards.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Guison snarls as he recognizes the runes, though their nature came as no surprise. Lacking a better diversion he pulls at the chains again, and again. His eyes survey the room, trying to peer through the window even as he pays special attention to where the torchlight falls. For a moment, Guison wonders why they even bother to place a torch within the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check to break the chains again (1d20+4)[16] don't expect to succeed but I'll take 20 Edit: if possible just because he doesn't have anything better to do at the moment.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2011-04-15 at 12:45 AM.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    The runes say
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Explosive Runes"

Rexx wakes up angry. This, of course, is absolutely normal for a T-Rex in the prime of its life, but Rexx woke up with a headache as well, which is extremely unusual, since Tyrannosaurs don't typically dedicate a lot of processing power to things that aren't "Hungry," and "Full."

Unfortunately, when something hurts a T-Rex, the T-Rex has one, primal, overpowering instinct. Rampage. Rising forcefully to his full height, Rexx quickly accelerates, full tilt, into the nearest wall - slamming his head into the magicked stonework in order to break free - or crush his headache, it's a toss-up.

Spoiler
    Show

Edit: Would I need to make a strength check to break my chains? Str is +17 right now.

Raging, charge-attacking the nearest wall with leap attack, power attack for 8.
    (1d20+19)[35] - 16 - crits
    damage (6d8+43)[72]
    If critical, + (6d8+43)[68] - 140 damage to a 5x5 chunk of wall, Me Gusta :I
    Fort is 17, ac is 9, reflex 6, will -1 (3 to resist mind-affecting during rage? so rusty on normal rage rules) because the runes are going to fry his tiny T-rex brain. Still, if I make an opening - prison break!
    Last edited by chrisrawr; 2011-04-15 at 12:52 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Torn hisses at the pain, jerking at the chain, despite having little to no chance of breaking it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check to break the chain (1d20)[14]

Assuming that doesn't work:

She closes here eyes and again tries to assume the shape of a gnome and slip free.

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration (1d20+14)[27] to try the alter self again and Escape Artist (1d20+3)[17] to wriggle out. Edit: Also, I was wrong before, alternate form is a supernatural ability. Not sure if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2011-04-15 at 01:07 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Guison: You see mountainous peaks outside of the window.

Rexx: You hit the wall and while you manage to crack it a searing flash of energy courses through your body knocking you off of your feet.

Torn: The great beasts thrashings have weakened the power of the runes. You manage to shift into gnome slipping out of your manacles you clamber to your feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rexx takes 15 points of damage and is stunned.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Help me escape Guison says, his diabolic tongue moving quickly against his teeth. I could prove useful.

Even as he speaks he tries to pull at the manacles again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check (1d20+4)[15]

Current Projects:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Torn frowns and concentrates to return to her normal form.

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration (1d20+14)[18]

"I'm not sure what I can do to help you, my new devilish friend. I'm not much for feats of great strength. I could try to pull at the same time you do, to break the chain, but I don't know that I would add much."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Shrugging, Gusion stretches his wings and attempts to fly up, pulling the shackles tight even as he tugs at one with his leg and coiled tail.

Current Projects:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Guison: As you fly up you feel a burning run through your body, you shrug it off and as you strain the chain connecting you to the wall snaps.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13

Griffon

Disoriented and confused, Rex stares a moment at the wall that simply failed to crumble. Cognitive dissonance was making his headache worse (or maybe that was the fact that he'd just slammed it into a wall with 7 tonnes behind it.) There was a wall, and then he hit it, and then there was... still a wall?

He screamed at the wall, frustruation and an odd sense of curiosity placating his emotional need for carnage, at least momentarily. Rex sits down, a momentous task that lifts debris and shakes the ground. He looks around as the dust settles, wondering at the tiny creatures held by such fine wire links.

"Tiny creatures, are you not well?" he asks, "Do you keep bound of your own wills? Such strangeness. Would you rather not be free, as myself? Some sport would be had, then, when I grow hungry."

Spoiler
    Show

Ending rage, fatigued for 4 rounds.
    Some contingency rolls - if anyone wants me to bite off their chains, use these rolls for damage and such. Power attack for 8, but that's it.
    (1d20+15)[16]
    (6d8+32)[46]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Darklaw wakes up from the smashing of walls. He looks at the assembled creatures and fiends, disoriented. He pushes off the wall with his six arms and attempts to walk towards them. The chain pull taut and his leg is jerked frozen.

Temporarily angered, me meditates for a full six seconds, then strikes at the manacle with his fist, channeling the power of the Stone Dragon discipline to render the manacle as soft as paper.

Spoiler
    Show
    Meditating to gain my maneuvers, then initiating a Mountain Hammer strike on the manacles with my fist. Ignores the hardness of the manacle and does an extra 2d6 damage.

Damage: (1d10)[2] + (2d6)[7] + 7 = 16 damage, no hardness. If it doesn't break, I'll repeat the process of meditating then striking until it is broken.

Last edited by Valfrid; 2011-04-15 at 09:01 AM.
    I hate player-requested homebrew.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Gusion observes to see if the others can free themselves, and while he does so he touches his sore ankle and casts Inflict Light Wounds on himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Testing to see if I need to make a Concentration check to cast spells, or can even cast them.

Current Projects:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Darklaw: After several bashes to the manacles you manage to free yourself.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Darklaw steps free of his bindings, meditating once more to regain his maneuvers. He then begins a different meditation, asking the dark powers for his daily divine spells. While doing so, he asks "How do whe get hout?" in a strange voice that seems to be the mixture of a gurgling low drone and sharp, inflected stresses like a snarling cat.
    Last edited by Valfrid; 2011-04-25 at 10:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Coughing up an iron unholy symbol, along with his talisman and a spell component pouch, Gusion kneels down, his eyes half closed as he whispers prayers to the dark powers that fuel his magic.

Current Projects:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"We may have some options. Let me meditate." Torn leans against the wall and closes her eyes (though not all the way.)
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2011-04-15 at 03:22 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Torn finishes meditating and stands, studying the door. "Let's see, let's see."

She closes her eyes for a moment and concentrates.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search on the door, just for kicks: [roll]1d20+[/roll]

Concentration (if needed) to use the Claitaudience/clairvoyance spell-like ability to see what's going on on the other side of the door. (1d20+14)[32]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

On the other side of the door you see two humanoid creatures covered in chains standing at attention on both sides of the door.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Finished praying, Gusion rises, and iron unholy symbol in hand he looks at the others.

Telepathically he asks them each, How skilled are you at determining the nature of magical auras? I could try and dispel the wards on the wall while our saurian friend attempts to break it down.

Current Projects:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Torn replies the same way, "I have some skill. Our friend seems to have already weakened the wards, however, so it may not be needed. There are two guards outside, human in shape, wrapped in chains. I will examine the wards and see if I can determine if they are still active."

Torn turns from the door and focuses on the runes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: The Planes to ID the guards (1d20+4)[10] if needed.

Casts Detect Magic (As a DN, Concentration if needed: (1d20+14)[33] ) and focuses on the runes to determine their nature and how efficacious they still are: Spellcraft (1d20+16)[33]
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2011-04-16 at 01:14 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Griffon

Noticing the door, Rexx stands up again. He shakes himself, banishing the remnants of his earlier daze, and makes a testing lunge at the perceived weak spot in the room - an instinctive urge he sees no reason to suppress.

Spoiler
    Show

Problems? THROW DINOSAURS AT THEM.
    Charging without leap attack or power attack
    Attack Roll (1d20+23)[27]
    Damage Roll (6d8+24)[53]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Torn: You determine that the creatures at the door are chain devils and that the runes are radiating a weak abjuration aura.

Rexx: You bash the door down, as you do so however a piercing wail rises up from the fallen door, the hall that the door leads into becomes filled with the piercing wailing noise.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Gusion twitches, and readies himself for combat. I guess there was little need Gusion says telepathically to Torn even as he spreads his wings. He'll head towards to step/fly outside of the rooom ready to face the chain devils outside, his fear aura active, and the words of a fear spell upon his lips.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative roll if need: (1d20)[1]

CL check if they have SR and I manage to cast it due to initiative: (1d20+9)[10]

Fear DC: 23 (10 + 4 spell level +5 charisma +2 Gr. Spell Focus +2 Dread Witch).

Current Projects:

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"They are Chain Devils!" Torn winces at the noise and looks mildly shocked by the dinosaur bursting through the door.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Torn heads for the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[7]

Torn will go closer to the door, and cast Extended Magic Circle Against Law (Using DMM, -2 turning attempts.) unless she is attacked before her turn in the initiative.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the chain devils reacts quickly to the presence of the dinosaur crashing through the door Back to your cell it hisses, striking out with its chains slashing at Rexx's flank.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rexx takes 14 damage.
    Last edited by Torgarn; 2011-04-16 at 02:48 PM.
    My awesome avvy by Ceika

My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Darklaw makes a quick gesture, igniting his claws, fangs, and feet. Then, using supreme concentration and speed, he dashes around the Kytons and, in a flanking position, leaps at one of them with all appendages.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiating Searing Blades, then Bounding Assault. Moving around to flank one, then finish off the charge (using my climb speed if possible to avoid AoOs.) Full attack via pounce, using Unarmed strikes as primary weapons and natural weapons as secondary, including two rakes. Full SA from flanking + Assassins Stance. Each time a claw or bite hits, I get a free grapple without an AoO. Rolling Grapple checks in case, and if any succeed I get another 2 rake attacks.

-Normal-
    Unarmed Strikes: (1d20+16)[33] (1d20+11)[30]
    Damage (1): (1d10+7)[10] + (2d6+8)[13] fire + (2d6)[4] sneak attack.
    Damage (2): (1d10+7)[9] + (2d6+8)[13] fire + (2d6)[7] sneak attack.

Claws (and first rakes): (1d20+14)[24] (1d20+14)[23] (1d20+14)[25] (1d20+14)[27]
    Damage (1): (1d8+4)[7] + (2d6+8)[12] fire + (2d6)[6] sneak attack.
    Damage (2): (1d8+4)[7] + (2d6+8)[16] fire + (2d6)[6] sneak attack.
    Damage (3): (1d8+4)[5] + (2d6+8)[14] fire + (2d6)[7] sneak attack.
    Damage (4): (1d8+4)[5] + (2d6+8)[16] fire + (2d6)[12] sneak attack.

Bite: (1d20+13)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[6] + (2d6+8)[16] fire + (2d6)[7] sneak attack.

-Additional-
    Grapple Checks: (1d20+13)[25] (1d20+13)[32] (1d20+13)[19] (1d20+13)[15] (1d20+13)[24]
    Rake Attacks: (1d20+16)[17] (1d20+16)[34]
    Damage (1): (1d8+4)[10] + (2d6+8)[14] fire + (2d6)[8] sneak attack.
    Damage (2): (1d8+4)[8] + (2d6+8)[11] fire + (2d6)[11] sneak attack.

Rawr.