New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony XII: No One Can Groove Like the Girls with the Hooves

May I ask the writers among you for some advice? I set out to write my current fanfic as a comedy with a few dramatic moments, but as of the latest chapter, it has taken a turn for the serious, and it doesn't promise to let up for a while. And the thing is, the new direction feels like it works. Do you think I should keep going and see what I come up with, or consider a rewrite?

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XII: No One Can Groove Like the Girls with the Hooves

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    May I ask the writers among you for some advice? I set out to write my current fanfic as a comedy with a few dramatic moments, but as of the latest chapter, it has taken a turn for the serious, and it doesn't promise to let up for a while. And the thing is, the new direction feels like it works. Do you think I should keep going and see what I come up with, or consider a rewrite?
    I would go for it. Writing isn't something you can completely plan out, and stories often evolve and change as you get the ideas down. And sometimes, like this, you end up with something you didn't expect to get, and that's alright too.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2011-06-27 at 10:59 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    If you think it works, then definitely run with it and see where it ends up. So very often the story you wind up writing is not the story you set out to write, and at least as often as not that winds up being a good thing. But I would say it's almost always a positive thing, so long as you do not fight it.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

If it feels like it works, keep going. If you're really unsure, keep going, but hold off publishing. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work at all, and you've learned something about what doesn't work in your story, and you can make a better path because of it.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

I'd say write what you feel. You can tweak it later, but having a beta-version to mess with is worth all the planning in the world. Writing in one place where an ounce of prevention isn't worth a gallon of blood.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    I'd say write what you feel. You can tweak it later, but having a beta-version to mess with is worth all the planning in the world. Writing in one place where an ounce of prevention isn't worth a gallon of blood.
    Yeah. You will work better with something already written rather than not writing out at all. Found that out the hard way though.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Horsefeathers. Locked in a closet, being made to play 'poker' in clear public view... How could this get any more embarrassing?

Spoiler
    Show

Braeburn: Lllaaaaaadiiees~

>///>
    ok, that's it. Everypony out of the closet now!

*Brazen Shield and Lix Lorn are forcibly pushed out of the closet door. It takes a second for both of them to notice that neither Braeburn nor SiuiS have followed*

*closet door locks*
    But!!!! But SiuiS!! You don't like colts! SiuiS!
    *pounds on door weakly*
    Can't I at least watch?

So now I'm lonely and mad.
    >> so hey Lix? What are YOU doin' for the rest of the night?
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    I love my filly~

8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground

No Braeburn! Don't forget your one true love, Rainbow Dash!

"Um, I'm sorry DBC, but I actually have a little crush on Mr. Brae (squeak)."

"He was great at that hoedown! I like a colt who understands parties!"

"Well, he's awfully unsophisticated, but he does have his charms."

"I learned so much about the biology and geology of the Appleoosa badlands from him! Also, the kissing was nice."

"Ah had a crush on him when ah was a filly 'til Big Macintosh straightened me out."

... ... ... Never mind. Do what you like, Braeburn.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

9. - Top - End - #639
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    In fanon, TwilightxLuna seems to be most popular.

Also, bad Phoe. Were you spying on me again? I most definitely do not drool in my sleep. Yeah. Most definitely. That puddle of water is just that. Water.
    You're imagining things again, we don't need another trip to the happy bouncy rooms because of your special shrine of Twilight, do we?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #640
    Troll in the Playground

Huzzah! Soarinjack!

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, first off a couple of grammar things:

Soarin figured might as well make a splashy entrance. - I think you're missing a 'he'

Soarin would be danged if those big doe eyes couldn't charm him out of the last slice of pizza. - I know what you mean here, but it still reads funny to me; maybe a bit of elaboration on the pizza thing?

Ah don't want to cut you off, but if if y'all're done eatin', ah think it's time we got down to business. - Multiple 'if's

Well, ignorance is the problem. - To me, this sounds like a strange phrasing for Big Mac

Soarin trailed off. *The pitch black clouds that blanketed from the sky came from nowhere and covered the sky horizon to horizon. - I think you're missing or adding a word somewhere around 'sky'

The room was dark, lit by a single candle in a table at the center of the room next to his hat and saddle bag - 'in' to 'on'

He could hear a storm coming, and it wasn't just the roars dragons above. - Needs something between 'roars' and 'dragons'

Until today, he would have had trouble thinking she could cry, much less randomly vacillate angry to weepy and back again. - I think you need a 'from' or 'between' after vacillate

More generally: I unequivocally like all of the battle scene stuff and Soarin's meeting with AJ. I also think the beginning is much smoother and has a better Soarin/Mac dynamic than in the very first iteration. I do think there are some places in the first half that are still a little rough or hurried, so I'd suggest looking over it and seeing if everything fits the way you want. Otherwise, bravo and tallyho!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

Lyra: What if I built a shrine to a different pony? Maybe shrines are my hobby.

Very well, who do you have in mind?

Lyra: Dewdrop Dazzle.

... the Twilight recolor?

Lyra: ... yes?

NOPE NOPE, YOU'RE TOO SILLY. You need a cowboy hat!

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

... ... ... Never mind. Do what who you like, Braeburn.
    Fixed that for you

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    You're imagining things again, we don't need another trip to the happy bouncy rooms because of your special shrine of Twilight, do we?
    Hush, you. I had a special permit from the Mayor to build that shrine.

Lyra: What if I built a shrine to a different pony? Maybe shrines are my hobby.

Very well, who do you have in mind?

Lyra: Dewdrop Dazzle.

... the Twilight recolor?

Lyra: ... yes?

NOPE NOPE, YOU'RE TOO SILLY. You need a cowboy hat!
    But Dewdrop Dazzle was so awesome! She's like Twilight in every way!

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for the advice, all! I'll post the results of my experiment around Friday.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Troll in the Playground

"I learned so much about the biology and geology of the Appleoosa badlands from him! Also, the kissing was nice."
    Any time a fic has Twilight kissing somepony, I am now going to imagine her talking about the experience like this afterward...

EDIT: And I think Twiburn might be my new favorite pairing; it's growing on me quickly...

Marginally related: I never used to make judgements about what apples to buy based on which fictional characters shared their names. Things change.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2011-06-27 at 11:18 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

16. - Top - End - #646
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Hush, you. I had a special permit from the Mayor to build that shrine.

But Dewdrop Dazzle was so awesome! She's like Twilight in every way!
    It was really the building material that pushed it over the edge... wasn't it mostly rope?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

17. - Top - End - #647
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Any time a fic has Twilight kissing somepony, I am now going to imagine her talking about the experience like this afterward...

EDIT: And I think Twiburn might be my new favorite pairing; it's growing on me quickly...

Marginally related: I never used to make judgements about what apples to buy based on which fictional characters shared their names. Things change.
    Twiburn could be interesting as a study in opposites. the only fic I ever saw it in, though, had them falling in love faster than the dumb first draft of It's Always Sunny.

Yes. Think about it. I am not exaggerating.

Speaking of, Druid, thanks for the pointers.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Hmm.

Phoe stalks Lyra.

Lyra stalks Twilight.

How can we continue this chain?
    twilight stalks Pinkie

Pinkie stocks the shelves at Sugar Cube Corner

Sugar Cube Corner stocks cookies

Last I checked, cookie was tearing Kyuubi apart. But we'll have to ask Thanqol...

-

PhoeKun, you are a card.

-

I'm supposed to be in the closet right now, aren't I?
    I should probably not let my enthusiasm to post get in the way of my jokes in the future <_<;

19. - Top - End - #649

Twiburn could be interesting as a study in opposites. the only fic I ever saw it in, though, had them falling in love faster than the dumb first draft of It's Always Sunny.
    True love at first sight is best plot excuse for ending six pages early.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    True love at first sight is best plot excuse for ending six pages early.
    I love that line.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

So guys, I've decided I have a new favourite pony. Wanna guess who it is?

Spoiler
    Show

All of them.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post

Spoiler
    Show

All of them.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

All of them.
    Fusion Pony: Oh I see what I did. I pronounced that teleportation spell wrong. Nice going! Don't you talk to me like that! Shut up no you shut up no you shut up are you talking to me well I don't see anypony else here SHHHH. Do you hear that? It's the wind.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Bugbear in the Playground

twilight stalks Pinkie

Pinkie stocks the shelves at Sugar Cube Corner

Sugar Cube Corner stocks cookies

Last I checked, cookie was tearing Kyuubi apart. But we'll have to ask Thanqol...

-

PhoeKun, you are a card.

-

I'm supposed to be in the closet right now, aren't I?
    I should probably not let my enthusiasm to post get in the way of my jokes in the future <_<;
    What was that!? That was kind of muffled by the door!
    Nope, I don't think I'm going to be able to save that joke for you, sorry.

Spoiler
    Show

All of them.
    That's kind of frightening...
    EDIT: Is it worse that I'm sitting here trying to figure out whose eyelashes those are, or that I haven't figured it out yet?

Also, I suppose I should start working on my next art dump.
    Last edited by Gadora; 2011-06-27 at 11:54 PM. Reason: extraneous comma

25. - Top - End - #655
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

All of them.
    *Right Click; save picture as*

*Choose folder to save to*

*Cursor hesitates slightly before selecting the "Group" folder*

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

Odd thing occurs to me.

I wonder if at Pony-Starbucks, there are a lot of ponies whose cutie mark is listening to obscure music.

27. - Top - End - #657

Odd thing occurs to me.

I wonder if at Pony-Starbucks, there are a lot of ponies whose cutie mark is listening to obscure music.
    One of my jobs is a barista at Sbux. There is never anyone in there listening to music. Ever. Just people on thier laptops on Facebook.
    It's a sickness.
    I love my filly~

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    One of my jobs is a barista at Sbux. There is never anyone in there listening to music. Ever. Just people on thier laptops on Facebook.
    It's a sickness.
    Well, okay.

"Your cutie mark is a Facebook thumbs up?"

"It's my life!"

29. - Top - End - #659
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    *Right Click; save picture as*

*Choose folder to save to*

*Cursor hesitates slightly before selecting the "Group" folder*
    Huh. The only times I've downloaded any pony pics have been if I've planned on using it as a wallpaper, want to convert it to an emoticon, or if it's only there for a short while (e.g. webcomic voting incentives). If there's nothing requiring that it go to my computer, I instead just bookmark it.

Anypone else do that or should I add that to the large list of ways that Gadora is strange?

30. - Top - End - #660

Well, okay.

"Your cutie mark is a Facebook thumbs up?"

"It's my life!"
    EXCATLY!!!
    ITS A SICKNESS!

:)
    I love my filly~