New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Does Rich have a day job?

or does he live off OoS books and merchandise?

And if he does have a day job, what is it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Does Rich have a day job?

I think he just does OoTS.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

He also occasionally writes for WotC...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as we know, he's said this is his full time job. Inquiring further is an invasion of his privacy he's requested we don't pursue.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Maybe he's a professional assassin, carrying out hits on people who pry into his personal life...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Maybe he's a professional assassin, carrying out hits on people who pry into his personal life...
    On the plus side, before you die, you'd get to meet The Giant in person, so it might be worth it anyways. =P

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere the success of his first OotS books allowed him to quit his regular job and focus mainly on his webcomic.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere the success of his first OotS books allowed him to quit his regular job and focus mainly on his webcomic.
    Yeah... I think he said so in the second book... But I'm not sure.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wikipedia says that after the commercial success of the first book, he quit to pursue this full time.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Yes.

He's a professional comic artist.

This is his day job.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Who'd pay him for that? Carrying out hits on people who pry into his personal life would make him an amateur assassin.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Who'd pay him for that? Carrying out hits on people who pry into his personal life would make him an amateur assassin.
    Not necessarily. He might subcontract to himself. Or his mother might put up the money.

But I think it more likely he employs someone like Roland for that.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

His old day job was originally as a spy, and he retired after the first book. The government pays him to kill anyone who prys into his private life as they might come across secret documents.

15. - Top - End - #15

WolfInSheepsClothing

________

I don't think that looting the forum goers corpses would provide pizza money, much less a living.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Obviously Comic #795 is not the only thing on his agenda over the past month. I imagine the rest of the time he's prone, either lying on the floor of some tiki bar in a cheap-rate hotel in Jamaica, passed out from sipping tequila through a straw for four days straight; or beet red from lying in the sun all day slathered in the contents of a bottle labeled "suntan oil" but which smells suspiciously like gasoline...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

It's called a "hobby" unless someone else pays for it...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Your answer, from the Giant himself. Look at the bottom

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=169
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I'm so glad you didn't wrote this in red text...
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Funnily enough, the last person to enquire along these lines died of Mysterious Circumstances. Not that a cure would have helped, not with his internal organs smeared all over the wall like that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scalenex View Post
    or does he live off OoS books and merchandise?

And if he does have a day job, what is it?
    It is public knowledge that he has lived off of Order of the Stick since the first print run of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools. It is also public knowledge that prior to that he worked on some Wizards of the Coast material, but that was not his full time occupation. He also entered the fantasy setting search and came in second behind Eberron, but because of his contract with WotC we will probably never know what his campaign was like. Wikipedia seems to think that prior to working full time on Order of the Stick he was a Graphic Designer. Again, this is all public knowledge, what The Giant has chosen to reveal. It is rude to speculate on parts of his private life that he has not chosen to reveal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
    Obviously Comic #795 is not the only thing on his agenda over the past month. I imagine the rest of the time he's prone, either lying on the floor of some tiki bar in a cheap-rate hotel in Jamaica, passed out from sipping tequila through a straw for four days straight; or beet red from lying in the sun all day slathered in the contents of a bottle labeled "suntan oil" but which smells suspiciously like gasoline...
    It is public knowledge that Rich has a chronic illness of some sort that causes the comic delays. To my knowledge he has refused to comment on it, as is his right. I am also under the impression that discussing it is against the rules. Regardless, even though this post was probably meant as a joke I don't like it. I have no idea what kind of person Rich Burlew is, but it is disingenuous to say such things when all evidence is that his slow update schedule is due to factors beyond his control.
    Last edited by Drolyt; 2011-06-27 at 04:53 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

This makes me think it should be an opening paragraph to a charming little novel.

23. - Top - End - #23

And the ironic thing is his day job is paid for by books mostly containing freely available material. I buy the books because I prefer old school dead tree over electronic display but I'd have thought that attitude was uncommon.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    It is public knowledge that Rich has a chronic illness of some sort that causes the comic delays.
    Sources, please.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Obviously Comic #795 is not the only thing on his agenda over the past month.
    Good thing he doesn't get paid by comic or he would be broke.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Sources, please.
    "7/7/2007

Those of you who have been readers a long time know that I tend to go in cycles with the strip: a few weeks on time, followed by a few weeks where most of the comics are late (and some days are missed altogether). Oftentimes, I’ll make an announcement afterwards that I was sick. The thing is, I get sick a lot, and that’s not likely to change in the future. For more than two years, I’ve been experiencing a medical condition that often leaves me unable to work (or even sit at the computer) for 2-3 days at a time, and the symptoms tend to come and go in clumps. I’ll be fine for a few weeks, then have a few really bad weeks where I struggle to get any work done. This is part of the reason I never can manage to create a “buffer” of strips in advance: I spend all of my working time catching up on stuff I was supposed to finish while I was sick. (No, I’m not going to tell you exactly what is wrong with me; it’s nobody’s business. Suffice to say that it is nonfatal and my significant other takes good care of me.) "

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/fanart/ootslate1.gif

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    And the ironic thing is his day job is paid for by books mostly containing freely available material. I buy the books because I prefer old school dead tree over electronic display but I'd have thought that attitude was uncommon.
    Material that he chooses to make freely available. In fact he has to pay server costs to host not only the comics, but another guys comic (Erfworld) and these forums. So yeah, I'm glad he can make a living off of this. He deserves to, the same way people who make traditional dead tree comics deserve money for their hard work.

As for why people buy the comic in print form, personally I have two separate reasons for doing so. The first is that I like to support artists who produce work I enjoy, especially if they otherwise make that work available for free. The second is that the quality of print is very good, so it looks much better than it does on a computer monitor.

I also enjoy all the bonus strips and commentary and whatnot, and of course some of the books aren't available online. The reason this is irrelevant to my decision to purchase the books is that if I had no desire to support The Giant and no desire for a print version, as well as no compunctions about breaking the law, I could obtain them by other means. I encourage people not to follow this route, since as I said I feel The Giant deserves to get paid for his work, but I imagine some people do anyways.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    It's called a "hobby" unless someone else pays for it...
    What if he has amensia and drops papers with money and the contract on his table at night and in the morning picks it up as if someone else had dropped it there?

He is secretly paying himself to be an assassin.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    Funnily enough, the last person to enquire along these lines died of Mysterious Circumstances. Not that a cure would have helped, not with his internal organs smeared all over the wall like that.
    Not another one! When will they find a cure?

I, too am worried about the Giant and the comic, it's been far, far too long. Kinda.
    Currently GMing:
    Warcraft: Quest for the Prismatic Blades / IC / OOC

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak586 View Post
    What if he has amensia and drops papers with money [...]
    In that case, it's still not "professional" but "crazy". You can't hire yourself to be a professional anything, I fear...