New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default Multiple Iaijutsu Attacks WITHOUT Gnome Quickrazor

Anyone know if there's a way to do this? The quickrazor just totally clashes with the flavor of a "samurai"-type character so much that I cant' bring my self to use it. You'd have to be able to sheath the weapon as a free action.

Would a Glove of Storing work for this? Allows you to store and retrieve an item help in your hand as a free action, but it doesn't use the word "draw".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Multiple Iaijutsu Attacks WITHOUT Gnome Quickrazor

But my Gnomish Quickrazor is katana-sized!

If you're really stuck in the "Flavor is all by the books" mindset, then dropping a weapon is a free action and, if I recall correctly, Quick Draw makes drawing one the same. Still not the "Flavor" you want though.

Hell, the flavor of Iajutsu Focus is "He who strikes first, strikes last." Hence the "flatfooted and weapon drawn in the same round" requirement. If you're already departing from that flavor, well, why not that had by the Quickrazor?

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Throwing Knives that you use as melee weapons with a -4 to hit and then drop, letting you draw an entire rounds worth or more.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Does drawing a weapon actually have a definition somewhere that relates to where you kept it? All I'm seeing is that if it's out of reach you treat it as retreiving a stored item. Glove of Storing (or rather, Glove of the Master Strategist, the cheap version) might actually work. It might not if 'drawing a weapon' must be the specific action of that name to count as drawing it, because Glove of Storing has its own proprietary action.

I'd allow it, though. Ask your DM.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-06-26 at 08:39 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

There's another alternative, though you probably won't like it: Soulknife. Let your weapon go, and you can remanifest it as a free action; once per turn normally, but Kalashtar can get another go at it with a swift action by a feat, or anybody can get multiple daggers per round with a Dragon feat. As per Complete Psionic, the free draw counts as Quick Draw for prereqs, too.

6. - Top - End - #6

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    There's another alternative, though you probably won't like it: Soulknife. Let your weapon go, and you can remanifest it as a free action; once per turn normally, but Kalashtar can get another go at it with a swift action by a feat, or anybody can get multiple daggers per round with a Dragon feat. As per Complete Psionic, the free draw counts as Quick Draw for prereqs, too.
    The Soulknife thing is pretty cool, even if it only really works once (possibly twice with Kalashtar). Hadn't thought of that at all (though it doesn't work for what I have in mind since this guy has an actual, material sword via Ancestral Daisho).

Looking at the PHB definition of drawing a weapon, I think retrieving one from a Glove of Storing would count -- it doesn't say where you need to retrieve an item from to draw it, just that you retrieve it "so that you can use it combat."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yorae View Post
    Would a Glove of Storing work for this? Allows you to store and retrieve an item help in your hand as a free action, but it doesn't use the word "draw".
    I wouldn't think so, no. Glove of Storing uses the term "retrieving", the same as a backpack or Portable Hole, and so wouldn't apply. You'd actually need to draw a weapon to make use of Iajutsu Focus, hence the use of the quickrazor - it can be sheathed as a free action as well.

If your DM allows Quick Draw to allow sheathing as a free action as well, you could Iajutsu Focus full attack with any weapon - although I suspect most DMs would remove such houserules after seeing you do so.

You could certainly draw multiple weapons, dropping them as your hands became full, for multiple Iajutsu attacks. A Glove of Storing would be one place you could stick some extra swords instead of dropping them, but then you'd have one sword in your glove and couldn't use it for another Iajutsu strike. Also, while the two-weapon fighting rules have penalities for your off-hand, there aren't any penalities for fighting one-handed with your off hand: you could draw one weapon with one hand for the first iterative, then another weapon with the off-hand for the second iterative, without worrying about TWF penalities.

Even better: draw one katana with both hands, hold it in your off hand, then draw the second one-handed in your primary hand. It avoids possible complaints about off-hand penalities, but obviously limits you to only two attacks (three with the gloves).

If your DM is lenient, see if you could get a modified Returning enhancement that returns weapons to their sheathes if you aren't holding them. That way, you could draw/drop as many weapons as you can carry.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

No one probably cares about this, but the concept of "multiple iaijutsu attacks in a same round" takes all the flavor and meaning behind iaijutsu, throws it in the air, and Shock Trooper Leap Attacks it into oblivion.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Is there a problem with walking around with multiple weapons and drawing them with Quick Draw each time you attack?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    Is there a problem with walking around with multiple weapons and drawing them with Quick Draw each time you attack?
    Outside of cost and sheer insanity on space limitations no there is no restriction.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    Enchantment costs will be insane. Still, it could work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Outside of cost and sheer insanity on space limitations no there is no restriction.
    I don't think Cespenar was talking about mechanical issues.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Another thought, though a little off topic: build off a Tome of Battle base instead, and focus on standard-action strikes. You'll have a move action left to resheath, and the flavor looks very classically iaijutsu to me. Strikes usually lag behind full attacks, and strike+iai would of course lag behind full attack iai, but depending on how you set things up it might be enough, if you can spend all the resources you would have been using to get the full attack iai on other things instead.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    Another thought, though a little off topic: build off a Tome of Battle base instead, and focus on standard-action strikes. You'll have a move action left to resheath, and the flavor looks very classically iaijutsu to me. Strikes usually lag behind full attacks, and strike+iai would of course lag behind full attack iai, but depending on how you set things up it might be enough, if you can spend all the resources you would have been using to get the full attack iai on other things instead.
    You could use that diamond mind maneuver for touch attack strikes, throw on some greater psionic strikes, full on power attack for some solid flick of the wrist damage.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    No one probably cares about this, but the concept of "multiple iaijutsu attacks in a same round" takes all the flavor and meaning behind iaijutsu, throws it in the air, and Shock Trooper Leap Attacks it into oblivion.
    Have you ever seen an iaijutsu practitioner?

They make multiple strikes before sheathing, you know.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post

Exactly. What the OP asked was a way to full attack while drawing and sheathing between each individual strike in the full attack maneuver.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2011-06-27 at 08:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I'd go for the Katana-chucker build personally.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Not only that, but even the Iaijutsu Master PrC makes multiple attacks between draws with IF damage.

It's not like the skill is quite clear as far as to whether you even need to draw so much. It says you have to attack immediately after... but does that mean the next thing you do, or does it apply to all attacks during the round? It's not like it's much of a balance issue considering the Quickrazor can already full attack with it, and real world Iaido/Iaijutsu practitioners do make multiple attacks, so the fluff actually works better if you get the full attack of IF when you draw once.

JaronK

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Enchantment costs will be insane. Still, it could work.
    Is there any sort of enchantment that would make the weapon reappear in it's sheath as soon as you drop it?

It might work with a -2 Cursed Sword, strangely enough:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The sword’s owner automatically draws it and fights with it even when she meant to draw or ready some other weapon. The sword can be gotten rid of only by means of limited wish, wish, or miracle.
    ...of course, a permanent -2 to hit and damage is going to suck. You'll want to have a lot of Greater Magic Weapon spells hanging around.

20. - Top - End - #20

Kata almost always include post-drawing strikes - from what, this is usually to simulate attacking opponents other than the one you killed with the first cut, although there is the possibility that the first cut is blocked.

In any case, the remainder of the kata isn't actually iaido - it's kenjutsu. Of course in an actual combat situation it's sort of ridiculous to study only iaijutsu.

My point is that attacking, sheathing your sword, attacking again, etc strain believability pretty hard. Iai was studied because getting the first cut is the most important thing in a fight, not because drawing your sword and simultaneously attacking gives it a magical increase in lethality. It goes back to the fact that a katana is a sidearm, worn off the battlefield - if actually given time to prepare, you'd take a bow or spear.

That said, iai is all sorts of cool. Transforming it into "skill-based sneak-attack" kind of takes out some of the je ne sais quoi..

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Is there any sort of enchantment that would make the weapon reappear in it's sheath as soon as you drop it?

...of course, a permanent -2 to hit and damage is going to suck. You'll want to have a lot of Greater Magic Weapon spells hanging around.
    That's a hilariously brilliant idea.

"Well, see, I couldn't NOT use this sword, so I've become very good at striking with it even when I accidentally draw it...."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    If your DM is lenient, see if you could get a modified Returning enhancement that returns weapons to their sheathes if you aren't holding them. That way, you could draw/drop as many weapons as you can carry.
    I think this is beautiful. Makes sense, devastatingly effective and it would make for really cool visual effect.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

for practical purposes, I think the iaijutsu damage would be enough to make that negligible.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Iai was studied because getting the first cut is the most important thing in a fight,
    I dunno, personally I'm more of the opinion that getting the last cut in a fight is the most important, but that's just me.

And hey, if you can make the first and last the same thing, well, that's just gravy.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

In the real world, the first strike in a sword fight is generally also the last.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    I dunno, personally I'm more of the opinion that getting the last cut in a fight is the most important, but that's just me.

And hey, if you can make the first and last the same thing, well, that's just gravy.
    I can't argue with that.

Iai, therefore, is a gravy-based martial art.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Iai, therefore, is a gravy-based martial art.
    Congrats, sir. Win.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    for practical purposes, I think the iaijutsu damage would be enough to make that negligible.
    Well, that's probably true enough. I wonder if, by RAW, you can add extra abilities to a -2 cursed sword?
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus.
    I guess that means no.

So, if you were going to go down the cursed sword route, you'd probably want methods to add abilities to the sword in other ways - through class features, or via other magic items (Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane, Sacred Scabbard etc.)...

I'm actually interested in building an NPC around this concept now.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm actually interested in building an NPC around this concept now.
    "I got stuck with this cursed sword some time ago. I'm very good at using it."

30. - Top - End - #30

ClericGirl

I admit that the image of draw -> strike -> sheath -> draw -> strike -> sheath for a full attack is pretty ridiculous.

However, the Glove of Storing / Glove of the Master Strategist image of:
    Snap fingers, sword appears in hand as you strike, then disappears, then reappears in a flash as you make next strike for a full attack is pretty ridiculously awesome.