New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Scout TF2 (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

The Scout

Spoiler
    Show

"Here's something ya shoulda built: a non-dyin machine!"-Nathan Vetterlain, after he beat an Engineer to death.

HD: d6

Class Skills: The scout gets Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Local), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device, Use Psionic Device, Use Rope

Skill Points: The scout gains 8+Int skill points per level, x4 at first level

The Scout
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Fast Movement

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Bat Proficiency, Move Like a Scout, Trapfinding|+10'

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Evasion|+10'

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Bat Finesse|+10'

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Yo Wazzup?|+20'

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Caltrop Canister|+20'

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Uncanny Dodge|+20'

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Atomic Punch|+30'

8th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Improved Evasion|+30'

9th|
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Sandman|+30'

10th|
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Improved Uncanny Dodge|+40'

11th|
    +8
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Crit-A-Cola|+40'

12th|
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |Hide in Plain Sight|+40'

13th|
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |Bonk!|+50'

14th|
    +10
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |Broke Your Crap|+50'

15th|
    +11
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |Concussion Grenade|+50'

16th|
    +12
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |Ragequit|+60'

17th|
    +12
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |I. Eat. Your. Sandwiches.|+60'

18th|
    +13
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |I'm a Freaking Blur Here!|+60'

19th|
    +14
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |A Second Beating|+70'

20th|
    +15
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |I'm Not Even Winded|+70'[/table]

Class Features

All the following are class features of the Scout:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Scouts are proficient with all simple weapons, all martial bludgeoning weapons, and light armor, but not with shields.

Bat Proficiency:
    Hey, it's my bat!
    A scout gains Weapon Focus (Greatclub) as a bonus feat, ignoring prerequisites, and may wield a greatclub in one hand with no penalty.

Move Like a Scout:
    I'm runnin circles round ya!
    A scout isn't one to be caught. Ever. At 1st level, and every 3 levels afterwards, the scout gains a +10 enhancement bonus to his base land speed. He only gains this bonus while wearing light or no armor and while he is unencumbered. He also receives a bonus to all Jump and Tumble checks equal to half his scout level, rounded down. Additionally, he gains a bonus feat at each of these levels. He need not meet any of their prerequisites, but they only apply while he is wearing light or no armor and is unencumbered.

At 1st level, the scout gains Dodge as a bonus feat, and gains the ability to make a second Jump check while still in midair from the first Jump check you make in any round. This second Jump check consumes a swift action, and when he reaches the peak of the second Jump, his body slows itself as if it was under a feather fall effect. This is an extraordinary ability.

At 4th level, the scout gains Mobility as a bonus feat.

At 7th level, the scout gains Spring Attack as a bonus feat.

At 10th level, the scout gains Whirlwind Attack as a bonus feat.

At 13th level, the AC bonus the scout receives from his Dodge feat increases to +1/4 levels (minimum 1). This AC bonus now applies to every enemy within 30 feet of the scout. The scout may change this to a single Dodge target at any distance on his own turn, as normal.

At 16th level, the scout no longer provokes attacks of opportunity for moving into, out of, or through an opponent's threatened square.

At 19th level, the scout receive a Sleight of Hand check as a free action against any opponent he successfully struck while using his Spring Attack feat. The DC is 10+the creatures CR. If the scout is successful, he loots an item off the creature's belt/out of its pocket, etc. Anywhere the creature is not holding an item.

Trapfinding:
    As the rogue ability, but if the scout beats the DC by 15 or more he can dismantle the trap instead of disabling it, giving him the perfect tools to craft the trap in any location (assuming he has the other requirements, like a boulder for a boulder trap), or to sell for half the market value of the trap. A scout who dismantles a trap instead of disabling it receives XP equal to a trap 3 CR levels above what the actual CR of the trap was.

Evasion:
    Hey! A lotta good that gun didja!
    As the monk ability of the same name.

Bat Finesse:
    I oughta be on a baseball card!
    The scout may add his Dexterity modifier to his melee attack rolls with any bludgeoning weapon which he has the Weapon Focus feat for. (He still adds his Strength modifier to his melee attack rolls, as normal)

Yo Wazzup?:
    Hey, pop quiz! How long does it take to beat a moron to death? BAMP! Time's up, you're dead!
    The scout is able to deal some serious damage when he catches his opponent off guard. If the scout attacks an opponent who is flat-footed or otherwise denied their Dexterity bonus to their AC, or if he attacks a target he is flanking, he deals damage as if his weapon was one size category larger than it actually is (no maximum). He also adds his Dexterity modifier (if positive) to his weapon damage rolls. This only applies to a melee bludgeoning weapon the scout has the Weapon Focus feat for. At every 3 levels after 4th (7th, 10th, etc), the scout deals damage as if his weapon was an additional size category larger, with no maximum.

Caltrop Canister:
    Not so tough now, are ya? Are ya?
    The scout has access to many special techniques that aid him in his endeavor. At 5th level, the scout gains access to the Caltrop Canister. The canister appears in thin air as the scout wills it, though he must make use of it within the round it appears or it will vanish and its use will be wasted. As a free action, the scout may dump the contents of the canister into two adjacent five foot squares. If the scout is moving, he may keep moving without stopping as he dumps it, but if he does so, he may only fill the two five foot squares directly behind him. The caltrops are invisible to all but the scout, however, if a creature attempts to run or charge through a square with the caltrops, it is forced to immediately stop, and must make a Reflex save (DC 10+ 1/2 scout level+Scout's Dexterity modifier) or have its movement speed halved in the next round. Once placed, the caltrops will remain in their square for one full round, disappearing at the beginning of the scout's next turn. The scout must wait 1d4 rounds after using the Caltrop Canister to call a new one, but otherwise, the ability is at will.

Uncanny Dodge:
    Hit the bricks pal, you're done.
    As the rogue ability of the same name.

Atomic Punch:
    Oh yeah, you're real scary pal!
    The scout's second special technique is the Atomic Punch. A more powerful defensive tool than the Caltrop Canister, the Atomic Punch appears as a blueberry or cherry flavored soda that the scout may drink as a move action. Consuming the drink makes the scout completely immune to all effects from outside sources for one full round, including damage, healing, buffing, and all other spells, and combat maneuvers. However, the scout may not perform any actions other than skill checks or move actions for this duration. The drink's effect immediately expires at the beginning of the scout's next turn, after which he must wait one full minute before using it again.

Improved Evasion:
    What the hell was that crap?
    As the monk's ability of the same name.

Sandman:
    Yo, batter up!
    The scout's third unique technique is called the Sandman. A small baseball appears in the scout's hand. As a standard action, he may throw the baseball at any creature within 30 feet. He makes a ranged attack roll, and if he hits, the target takes 1d6 damage and must make a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 the Scout's level plus his Dexterity modifier) or be Stunned for 1 round. After using this ability, the scout must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

Improved Uncanny Dodge:
    You knuckleheads ain't even worth the effort!
    As the rogue ability of the same name, though the scout uses his scout level to calculate whether an enemy rogue is high enough to flank him.

Crit-A-Cola:
    Say goodbye to ya kneecaps, chucklehead!
    The scout's fourth unique ability is the Crit-A-Cola, which appears similar to the Atomic Punch. Calling and drinking it consumes a single swift action. For the rest of the round, the first attack that the scout hits with and the first attack the scout is hit by automatically threaten criticals. However, for these criticals, treat both the scout's and the first person who hits him's weapon critical multipliers as x2, no matter what they actually are. The effect ends as soon as it is discharged or at the beginning of the scout's next turn, whichever comes first, after which the scout must wait one minute before using it again.

Hide in Plain Sight:
    I-is anyone even paying attention to me?
    As the ranger ability of the same name.

Bonk!:
    Eat it fatty!
    As a full-round action, the scout may issue a taunt to a creature within 60 feet who can hear him. This is a language-dependent, verbal, mind-affecting ability. The creature must make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 the scout's level+his Charisma modifier) or be forced to attack the scout next round. The creature will charge if it is able, however, otherwise it may use any means necessary, such as a spell or a ranged weapon. As part of this ability, the scout readies an attack against that creature's charge. He may only use this part of the ability if he is wielding a bludgeoning weapon with which he has the Weapon Focus feat. As soon as the creature enters the scout's reach, the scout makes an attack roll. (Resolve this ability before the creature finishes its charge. If the creature failed its saving throw and charges, it will charge to the absolute closest point it can before attacking the scout, regardless of its reach) If the scout hits, the creature must make a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2 the scout's level + his Dexterity modifier) or fall prone. If the creature falls prone, it does not get to make any attack this round. Unlike the scout's other unique techniques, Bonk! may be used at will.

Broke Your Crap:
    Hey, overalls! You suck! Here's a schematic for you: my ass!

The scout gains the Improved Sunder feat as a bonus feat. He need not meet the prerequisites. When making a Sunder attempt with a melee bludgeoning weapon for which he has the Weapon Focus feat, he ignores all hardness and may deal damage equal to the damage his Yo Wazzup? class feature normally deals for his level.

Concussion Grenade: The scout gains the unique technique that allows him to escape from any danger. The concussion grenade is a powerful tool that the scout may call and throw as a move action, even while he is running. The concussion grenade has a maximum range of 30 feet. The scout makes a ranged attack roll at an empty five foot square. The ground has an AC of 10. For each 1 point the scout misses, the grenade lands 5 feet closer than he meant to. The concussion grenade is a splash weapon that detonates immediately and affects every creature within 20 feet of its square. All creatures must make a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2 the scout's level plus his Dexterity modifier) or be Dazed for 1d4 rounds. After using the concussion grenade, the scout must wait one minute before using it again.

Ragequit:
    Yeah, I dare ya! Ragequit! Make us both happy!
    The scout is so frustratingly hard to hit and he taunts so much that eventually some people just give up. If the scout successfully hits a creature in melee and the creature attacks him next turn and misses him, the scout may make an Intimidate check as a free action. This is a language-dependent, verbal, mind-affecting ability. The creature makes a Will save (DC is the Scout's Intimidate check, but can be no higher than 30) and if it fails, its attitude changes to indifferent and it makes the withdraw action at its next opportunity, so long as the scout and his allies make no hostile actions towards it between the failed save and then.

I. Eat. Your. Sandwiches.
    I eat em up!
    Whenever the scout destroys an opponent's item with a successful Sunder attempt, he may make a demoralize check as a free action with a bonus equal to the value of the item he destroyed /1000 gp. (Minimum +0). If he succeeds, the owner of the item is demoralized for the remainder of the encounter.

I'm a Freaking Blur Here!:
    Depth perception, pal!
    The scout moves so quickly he is unable to be touched. The scout acts as though under the benefits of a continuous freedom of movement spell, and can move through any difficult terrain, mundane or magical, with no penalty.

A Second Beating:
    If you order now, I'll throw in a second beating, absolutely free!
    The scout is a force of nature. If you were from where he was from, you'd be ****ing dead! Whenever the scout hits someone with a Spring Attack, he can make another attack against that person at his highest attack bonus, and if he hits, the creature has to make a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 his Scout level+his Dexterity modifier) or be Stunned for 1d4 rounds.

I'm Not Even Winded!: The scout moves like no other. The scout becomes immune to fatigue and exhaustion. He gains a flight speed equal to twice his base land speed with perfect maneuverability, however, he must start and end his flight on solid, horizontal ground. The scout also gains the ability to scale walls simply by running up them. If the scout makes a move/double move action running up a vertical wall, he does not fall due to gravity, as long as he ends his move action(s) on solid, horizontal ground.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-29 at 10:41 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Scout TF2 (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

HA! This looks amazingly, hilarious, and very fun to play. You gonna do one for each of the team members?
    Add me on Steam! Link

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Codemus View Post
    HA! This looks amazingly, hilarious, and very fun to play. You gonna do one for each of the team members?
    I might! I was just going back over the Meet the Team vids since Medic just came out and there's a new buzz about TF2 being FREE TO PLAY, and I remembered how much I loved the Scout's attitude. So I decided to try my hand. Glad you liked it!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is better than I would have thought from the title.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

5. - Top - End - #5

To anyone who views this: Please leave a comment. I would like to know what you all think of this. Even if it's just a short "I like it" or "I don't like it", at least I'll know where it stands (Though adding why or why not would be appreciated too)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

My thoughts are that the table needs a listing for fast movement, the smack talk should be in italics, preferably seperate from the rest of the entry and it looks to be a high 5, low 4 tier class.

Probably allow this in my games.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Either italics, or on a separate line all together from the ability. Perhaps...
    Ability Name
    Fluff
    Crunch
    Only without the quotation box. That's just to show the example, and separate it from the rest of my post.
    Other than that, I absolutely love this! It's hilarious, fits the Scout, and does everything he can do. If being a fairly weak class on the tiers. But eh, as long as you're having fun, who cares, right?
    Characters:

I live on the time zone which is -5 hours to GMT, but I'm a night owl. Beware!

8. - Top - End - #8

Thanks for the suggestion. Added a Fast Movement table and separated the taunts.

Edit: I really like Yo Wazzup?. I think it scales well (If you're a Medium scout using a greatclub, you deal 12d8 damage at 20th level), and is a good replacement for Sneak Attack since it's not precision damage and is multiplied on a critical hit.

With the addition of the skill points and the trapfinding, perhaps the scout will have a stronger place on the team.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-27 at 10:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Haha. Love it. Just a few nitpicks:

Lacks a double jump mechanic at lower levels. Something like, as a swift action, you can make another jump check (towards any direction) after making a norma jumping check during a move action, even before reaching the ground. Using this second jump makes your fall speed start counting from the second jump's initial height, working as an effective Feather Fall effect.

Or just turn it into a Jump+Feather Fall effect.

Keystone ability is impressive, but doesn't really reflect a Scout, even a high powered one, I mean, flight? And unable to be pushed? Ever jumped in front of a sentry? I can see my base from up here! Unfortunatelly, I don't have a good suggestion for it.
    Everything else is awesome. Freedom of movement already gives him several immunities to movement restriction effects.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Edit: I really like Yo Wazzup?. I think it scales well (If you're a Medium scout using a greatclub, you deal 12d8 damage at 20th level), and is a good replacement for Sneak Attack since it's not precision damage and is multiplied on a critical hit.
    I might be going blind (or, more probably, silly) since I couldn't find how you can do this (Well; a greatclub as one-hander means a large greatclub as two-hander, with 'Yo Wazzap?' that would increase another size in dice (1d10->2d6->2d8, right? or am I getting more silly by the moment?)

Anyway, despite all that:
    I would personally drop the skill points to 6+int, and up the BaB to full.

Otherwise, you made me smile. I think it's extremely boyishly charming. Good job!

11. - Top - End - #11

I love this class, other than a few minor things. 1. BAB should be full, as it's a melee class. 2. You may wish to consider giving the Scout an ability that lets them charge while Spring Attack-ing. 3. Perhaps you should consider altering the capstone ability? At the moment, it's nice, but doesn't quite fit. I would suggest requiring the Scout to start and end his move on solid ground when he uses his flight ability, so that it's not actual flight and more of a ridiculously awesome jumping maneuver.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Dryad View Post
    I might be going blind (or, more probably, silly) since I couldn't find how you can do this (Well; a greatclub as one-hander means a large greatclub as two-hander, with 'Yo Wazzap?' that would increase another size in dice (1d10->2d6->2d8, right? or am I getting more silly by the moment?)

Anyway, despite all that:
    I would personally drop the skill points to 6+int, and up the BaB to full.

Otherwise, you made me smile. I think it's extremely boyishly charming. Good job!
    The table on the SRD for some reason says that if it's a small weapon that does 1d10 it does increase to 2d6, but if it's a Medium weapon that does 1d10, it increases to 2d8 instead, then 3d8, then 4d8, then 6d8, then 8d8, then 12d8.
    (Between level 4 and level 19 it's a +6 size increase)

The scout itself is the weakest combat class in TF2, it's a class that is based on movement and not getting hit, so I decided to use the rogue's chassis.

Edit: Changed the capstone to give an awesome jumping flight speed and the ability to run up walls. Also, at first level, I gave him the double jump/feather fall ability.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-28 at 11:31 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I absolutely love this class. One thing, though(not about the class itself): What does PEACH mean/stand for?

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Muad'dib View Post
    I absolutely love this class. One thing, though(not about the class itself): What does PEACH mean/stand for?
    It means Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Basically, the author (in this case me) is asking that the viewers of his work offer constructive criticism to help work through any kinks that the class may have. This includes such things as unclear wording, the absence of needed details such as the type of action (move, standard, swift, etc) that an ability requires to activate, or helping to balance the class itself so that it's not too overpowered in the general opinion (makes the DM more likely to allow it, and most people are pretty content with the balance that WotC set up for us, so we follow it when we homebrew)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I take the "H" to stand for Helpfully, myself. I know the original is honestly, but sometimes, honest criticism isn't helpful because it's too blunt or doesn't elaborate enough.

Helpful means that the reader gives comments that they would find useful if they received them...hopefully anyway
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Coo, Neo; just something I thought about..

I actually do think 12d8 is too much for 'Yo; Wazzap.' For one, 12 is more than 10, and 8 is more than 6. The second part is: This ability would not be fascist when it comes to creature types, unlike Sneak Attack, which refuses to work on certain types of creature.
    This means that, even though this wallop is gained at later levels (4+) than sneak attack, it's damage is a lot better. Sneak Attack usually doesn't use weapons with two weapon dice (I know there's awesome ninja-like two-hander sneak attack builds, but they're sub-par and MAD, so people rarely use them).

I imagine one could do the wazzap trick while dual-wielding, much like the rogue with short-swords, and the rogue would deal significantly less damage, and even stand useless against many enemies.

HOWEVER: I think this class works well enough as a rogue replacement. Meaning that, in a game that contains this class, there would be no rogue class. If that were the case, I think 'Wazzap!' is fine. ^_^
    (I would actually recommend this, because, with the same skill points, trapfinding at first level (which is regarded as a weak class feature, but that's people don't seem to realize that it is, in fact, a nearly unique feature to rogues, and makes them especially useful if your DM likes traps), uncanny dodge, evasion and hide in plain sight and a better Sneak Attack mechanic, it basically already does everything a rogue should do. Add in the improved movement speed, weapon finesse as a class feature and bonus feats (of the type rogues are prone to pick up anyway), you've basically got a class that is better than a rogue across the board; at everything a rogue should excel at.
    So I think I would allow this class in a story of mine, provided this class would replace the rogue class.
    Last edited by Dryad; 2011-06-29 at 07:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

cri8t-a-cola seems a tad overpowered to me, insta-crits every 1d4 rounds? sure the scout gets crits against him too, but it seems like it could be abused.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This is awesomely funny, and, its actually better than the Scout from CAdv.
    I don't think it needs a full attack when spring attacking, unless you mean to give it the progression of the follow up spring attacks on PHB2, which allows other attacks, provided its agains different enemies.
    If you want to buff the scout up along the tiers, maybe add part of the skirmish from the CAdv Scout, only the defense + attack bonus damage, Yo Wazzap already replaces the precision damage, and improves upon it nicely.
    Definitly I would replace the 3.5 rogue with this too, sounds fun and fills the niche nicely, I would refluff as needed tho, so my player gets to play with diferent weapons if he doesn't enjoy the idea of a great club.
    Edit:
    @the poster above me: Yeah crit-a-cola could be abused, but its easy to nerf, just add a line that allows an AoO from whoever takes such a crit, the scout AC is not gonna be the best, if they don't drop dead, you do, making it a harsher double edged sword. Another nerf I would consider instead, make it a once per encounter mechanic(more confortable imho), this way the scout isn't gonna nuke your BBEG with his yo wazzap insta crit at 20th lvl. (Remember kids, 2x 20d8 = 40d8, it might be random, but still hurts, avarage is still 40x4.5 = 180 damage)
    Last edited by Airanath; 2011-06-29 at 08:18 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Airanath View Post
    This is awesomely funny, and, its actually better than the Scout from CAdv.
    I don't think it needs a full attack when spring attacking, unless you mean to give it the progression of the follow up spring attacks on PHB2, which allows other attacks, provided its agains different enemies.
    If you want to buff the scout up along the tiers, maybe add part of the skirmish from the CAdv Scout, only the defense + attack bonus damage, Yo Wazzap already replaces the precision damage, and improves upon it nicely.
    Definitly I would replace the 3.5 rogue with this too, sounds fun and fills the niche nicely, I would refluff as needed tho, so my player gets to play with diferent weapons if he doesn't enjoy the idea of a great club.
    Edit:
    @the poster above me: Yeah crit-a-cola could be abused, but its easy to nerf, just add a line that allows an AoO from whoever takes such a crit, the scout AC is not gonna be the best, if they don't drop dead, you do, making it a harsher double edged sword. Another nerf I would consider instead, make it a once per encounter mechanic(more confortable imho), this way the scout isn't gonna nuke your BBEG with his yo wazzap insta crit at 20th lvl. (Remember kids, 2x 20d8 = 40d8, it might be random, but still hurts, avarage is still 40x4.5 = 180 damage)
    20d8 isn't the max he does in damage, it's 12d8. 12d8 dice damage on a yo wazzup at 19th and 20th level. 2 x 12d8 = whatever the 12d8 roll is, multiplied by 2, not 24d8. I think.
    Last edited by Vwulf DeMarcus; 2011-06-29 at 09:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

True. It would amount to 24d8. BUT: It can be an automatic crit, and Sneak Attack dice don't double on critical hits.

21. - Top - End - #21

Changed Crit-A-Cola to have a 1 minute cooldown. As most encounters last 5 or 6 rounds, this basically changes it to 1/encounter, but also gives the scout options if it's not a BBEG you're fighting, but several minis that are taking a long time to kill, even with the wizard dropping AoEs.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-06-29 at 10:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Man I love it.

I've already got the Spy stated out, though I should probably add more flavour quotes/titles related to his TF2 origins. Here's hoping that the other 7 get their time in the sun.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I noticed that the Atomic Punch was used as a move action, while its intended purpose seems to be drink then run. You'd think that this ability should be as a swift action.
    Nerd-o-rama Wrote on 10/16/06 at 01:06:57:
    Even creatures listed as "Always Alignment" have one-in-a-million exceptions: the Chaotic Good White Dragon Ranger yearning to throw off the reputation of its Evil kin, anybody?

Dice for the Dice God! D20s for the D20 Throne!

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by vanyell View Post
    I noticed that the Atomic Punch was used as a move action, while its intended purpose seems to be drink then run. You'd think that this ability should be as a swift action.
    With the movement speed the Scout has, coupled with his Spring Attacking and etc, a double move action would more than likely put him out of range of combat anyway if he wanted to be. This is more for the times when the Scout is trapped, like when he's inside or caged or something. If you have two move actions and you really need to be invulnerable for a round, you can just run away. Seriously, x4 with +70' move speed? That's 280 feet before factoring in your base land speed, and only the strongest dragons can move faster than that.

25. - Top - End - #25

True. It would amount to 24d8. BUT: It can be an automatic crit, and Sneak Attack dice don't double on critical hits.
    Yes, and that always bothered me. Seems like the rogue, the fastest, dagger-iest and most crit-happy build, should deal some heavy crit damage when it does manage to land a critical, not just have an improved chance.

When you're dealing 10d6+1d4 with your kukri at 20th level, the x2 to the 1d4 isn't really something you get excited about. But if you had the ability to hit harder AND crit because you were stealthed, that makes the class interesting and worth it.

Smite Evil is multiplied on crits, as is Favored Enemy bonuses. And Paladins and Rangers don't use high crit weapons.

26. - Top - End - #26

Daemon

Bonk! forcing the target to charge is problematic. If you enrage a wizard with Fireball prepped, which is more likely: that he charges to melee you (through your allies' AoOs if necessary) or that he shoots a fireball at you?

I get that the idea is to prompt targets to unreasonable action, but for a lot of characters a charge is just ridiculous.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
    Bonk! forcing the target to charge is problematic. If you enrage a wizard with Fireball prepped, which is more likely: that he charges to melee you (through your allies' AoOs if necessary) or that he shoots a fireball at you?

I get that the idea is to prompt targets to unreasonable action, but for a lot of characters a charge is just ridiculous.
    That would be the point, yes. Mind-affecting abilities are mind-affecting. Forcing a target who is not good at melee into melee is a smart idea.

28. - Top - End - #28

Coo, Neo; just something I thought about..

I actually do think 12d8 is too much for 'Yo; Wazzap.' For one, 12 is more than 10, and 8 is more than 6. The second part is: This ability would not be fascist when it comes to creature types, unlike Sneak Attack, which refuses to work on certain types of creature.
    This means that, even though this wallop is gained at later levels (4+) than sneak attack, it's damage is a lot better. Sneak Attack usually doesn't use weapons with two weapon dice (I know there's awesome ninja-like two-hander sneak attack builds, but they're sub-par and MAD, so people rarely use them).

I imagine one could do the wazzap trick while dual-wielding, much like the rogue with short-swords, and the rogue would deal significantly less damage, and even stand useless against many enemies.

HOWEVER: I think this class works well enough as a rogue replacement. Meaning that, in a game that contains this class, there would be no rogue class. If that were the case, I think 'Wazzap!' is fine. ^_^
    (I would actually recommend this, because, with the same skill points, trapfinding at first level (which is regarded as a weak class feature, but that's people don't seem to realize that it is, in fact, a nearly unique feature to rogues, and makes them especially useful if your DM likes traps), uncanny dodge, evasion and hide in plain sight and a better Sneak Attack mechanic, it basically already does everything a rogue should do. Add in the improved movement speed, weapon finesse as a class feature and bonus feats (of the type rogues are prone to pick up anyway), you've basically got a class that is better than a rogue across the board; at everything a rogue should excel at.
    So I think I would allow this class in a story of mine, provided this class would replace the rogue class.
    *sigh* I'm so glad that you praised me for all the staple things I threw in and didn't mention a single unique class feature I made for it.

Well, I'm glad you feel that way, though in my opinion jiriku's Daring Outlaw class would be a much better homebrew to look at if you wanted to replace a rogue. (For one thing, it has that full BAB you guys keep talking about)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not even once did you say anything about a dispenser!?
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    Not even once did you say anything about a dispenser!?
    Well, the class is about the scout himself, not about the creative ways people use him to mess up games and blow up Heavies.