New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Furycrafter

Well, I decided to rethink my strategy while making this class. Really, it stems from the fact that I don't like how any elemental class in published DnD books works at the moment, so I decided to make my own. This is what the result is, and in fact the class was originally call the Elementalist. I changed that name as I was getting into the Codex Alera at the time, and though that using that book's elemental system as a guideline would help make the class a bit more unique, and provide a focus for the abilities. Unfortunately, I went a bit too far, trying to mesh to systems that really don't work in the same way together. Right now, I'm moving back towards my original idea, with some inspriation still being drawn from the Codex Alera (mainly the names for the elements, some of the breakup of spells, and the Fury ability).

So, in addition to my Canim, I decided to make a class inspired by the furycrafters of Claderon, from the series by Jim Butcher. Now, this is inspired by the books, and largely adapted to fit into DnD mechanics/class balance such as it is. This won't work exactly the same, and you can't do everything that they can, but it's supposed to capture the feel of the crafter's more than anything else. The spell list is currently under construction, but it's based somewhat on the Wu Gen list.

FuryCrafter
    Hit Dice: d8
    Skills: 4+Int(x4 at first level). Craft, Knowledge All, Profession, Listen, Spellcraft, Spot

In addition, add the following skills to Class list based on Primary Elemental Focus:
    Air: Balance, Jump, Tumble,
    Fire: Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Preform
    Water: Diplomacy, Disguise, Heal, Swim, Sense Motive
    Earth: Search(can find magical traps on ground), Handle Animal, Ride,
    Metal: Autohypnosis, Disable Device, Open Lock, Concentration
    Wood:Escape Artist, Hide, Move silently, Survival, Use Rope
    {table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4t h|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th
    +1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Spellcasting, Manifest Fury, Elemental Focus|4|2||||||||
    +2|+1|+0|+0|+3||5|3||||||||
    +3|+1|+1|+1|+3||6|4|2|||||||
    +4|+2|+1|+1|+4||6|5|3|||||||
    +5|+2|+1|+1|+4|Secondary Elemental Focus|6|5|4|2||||||
    +6|+3|+2|+2|+5||6|5|5|3||||||
    +7|+3|+2|+2|+5||6|5|5|4|2|||||
    +8|+4|+2|+2|+6||6|5|5|5|3|||||
    +9|+4|+3|+3|+6||6|5|5|5|4|2||||
    +10|+5|+3|+3|+7||6|5|5|5|5|3||||
    +11|+5|+3|+3|+7|Tertiary Elemental Focus|6|5|5|5|5|4|2|||
    +12|+6|+4|+4|+8||6|5|5|5|5|5|3|||
    +13|+6|+4|+4|+8||6|5|5|5|5|5|4|2||
    +14|+7|+4|+4|+9||6|5|5|5|5|5|5|3||
    +15|+7|+5|+5|+9||6|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|2|
    +16|+8|+5|+5|+10||6|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|3|
    +17|+8|+5|+5|+10| Quaternary Elemental focus|6|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|4|2
    +18|+9|+6|+6|+11||6|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|3
    +19|+9|+6|+6|+11||6|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|4
    +20|+10|+6|+6|+12||6|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5|5 [/table]

Spellcasting/Spells Known- automatically know all spells that belong to their Elemental focus, and cast spontaneously as a sorcerer except metamagic takes no longer than normal to apply. Wearing armor’s heavier than Leather armor interferes with a furycrafter’s casting, incurring spell failure as normal, though certain disciplines can get around this. Their primary casting stat is Charisma.

Elemental Focus-At level 1 they gain the Elemental Focus Ability. This allows them to chose one element as a focus. They now know all spells under that element. The elements are Air, Earth, Fire, Metal, Water, and Wood. Additionally, at 5th, 11th, and 17th levels, the furycrafter chooses another elemental focus. This works like the primary elemental focus, except that the purpose of learning spells. Instead, the furycrafter only knows the spells he would if he was a furcrafter 4 levels lower for his secondary, 10 levels lower for his tertiary, and 16 levels lower for his Quaternary. Thus, at level 20, a furycrafter knows all spells of his primary focus, all spells 8th and lower for his secondary, and all spells 2nd and lower for his Quaternary.

Manifest Fury- At first level, a furycrafter can manifest a fury as a standard action, which is initially a small elemental of whatever type the Furycrafter’s primary focus is. It progresses as according to the following table. The element can look like anything, though it is always made of the chosen element, and is often bestial.

When a Furycrafter gains an additional elemental focus, he can manifest an additional Fury (it type shares that of the new focus). This is entirely distinct from the first fury, and can be given entirely different stats and special qualities. For the purposes of abilities, the secondary fury treats its crafter’s level as 5 lower, the tertiary treats it as 10 lower, and the Quaternary treats it as 17 levels lower.

A manifested fury can act on the round it is manifested. A furycrafter can manifest each individual fury no more than 1 minute per class level, split up however he choses.

While manifested, a furcrafter loses the ability to cast spells from that elemental focus. Additionally, if the fury is destroyed he loses the ability to cast spells of that focus for 24 hours unless he makes a will save equal to the Fury’s Hit Dice + his Cha modifier. If he succeeds, he is instead unable to cast spells from that focus for 30 minutes. In either case, he also takes 2d4 Cha damage and is sickened for one hour.

{table=head]Crafter's Level|Hit Dice|Bonus to Stats|Natural Armor|Special Qualities
    1-2|2|1||Share Spell, Empathic Link
    3-4|1|||
    5-6|2|||
    7-8|1|||
    9-10|2|||
    11-12|1|||
    13-14|2|||
    15-16|1|||
    17-18|2|||
    19-20|1|||
    [/table]

Hit Dice-The total hit dice of the Fury, and all such HD are Elemental HD. A Fury gains the following benefits: HP, Attack bonus, Saves, Skills, feats, and stat gains. These are all it gains from the HD.

Empathic Link- As Familar

Bonus to Stat- At the indicated levels, the Fury gains the above bonus to it's physical stats.

Natural Armor- at the indicated levels, the Fury adds the number to its Natural Armor.

Share Spell- As a Familiar or Animal Companion.

Additionally, at each increment, the Fury gains a special quality from the following list. Unless stated, there is no limit on the number of times a quality can be chosen, nor is there a order that they must be taken.

Increase Physical Damage- Increase Slam attack damage by two size catagories steps. Add an additional physical type when you take this for the first 2 times (P, S).

Increase Elemental Damage- Increase elemental damage by 1d6. Only available to Fire, Water, Air, and Wood (fire, cold, electric, and acid, respectively).

Improved DR- Increase Dr according to type.
    Plant-5 dr/Slashing
    Earth-5 dr/Piercing
    Metal-5 dr/Bludgeoning

Increase Size- Increase Size by 1 step. It gains +10 speed, +5 reach, bonuses to Grapples, trips, and bull rushes, an increased Slam Attack Damage rating as if increasing a size, and the assorted penalties. It does not get bonuses or penalties to stats. This special quality may not be taken twice in a row.

Grappler- Whenever the Fury hits with a slam attack, It can initiate a grapple as a free action. It gains a +4 bonus on this roll, and does not provoke.

Tripper- Whenever the Fury hits with a slam attack, it can initiate a tip as a free action. It gains a +4 bonus on this roll, and does not provoke. If it fails, it may not be tripped in return.

Additional Natural attack- The Fury gains an additional natural attack due to its shape. This is a secondary natural attack and follows all rules associated with such attacks, and does damage as if one size category smaller than the primary.

Fortification- The Fury gains light fortification, or improves its light fortification to medium, or medium to heavy. This may only be taken 3 times.

Base Fury:
    Small Elemental(Fury)
    HD: 2d8
    Stats: The Fury starts out with 8's in all physical scores, with an additional 18 points to spend on them in accordance to rules found in the DMG. It uses the Mental stat's of it's Crafter.
    Attack: +2(1 BaB, 1 Size)
    Slam 1d6+1.5 Strength

Fury Subtype-This creature looses the elemental immunities to Paralysis, Stunning, Critical Hits, and Flanking. It's good saves depend on it's elemental affiliation; Air gains good Reflex, Earth gains good Fort, Fire Gains Good Ref, Metal gains good Fort and Will, Water gains good Fort, and Wood gains good Will and Ref.

Note, this is still a work in progress, I just wanted to get this up and see reactions.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2010-06-05 at 12:33 AM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Furycrafter

Spell list:

Air
    Spoiler
    Show

0th

1st
    Gust of Wind
    Shocking Grasp
    2nd
    Invisibility
    Whispering Wind
    3rd
    Haste
    Fly
    Wind Wall
    Call Lighting
    Lighting bolt
    4th
    Overland Flight
    5th
    Control Winds
    Call Lighting Storm
    6th
    Chain Lighting
    7th
    Control Weather
    8th
    Whirlwind
    9th

Earth
    Spoiler
    Show

0th

1st
    Calm Animals
    Detect Snares and Pits
    Hide from Animals
    2nd
    Animal Trance
    3rd

4th

5th

6th

7th

8th
    Sympathy
    Antipathy
    9th

Fire
    Spoiler
    Show

0th
    Ray of Frost

1st
    Bless
    Bane
    Endure Elements
    Lesser Orb of Fire
    Burning hands
    Charm Person
    Produce Flame
    2nd
    Chill Metal
    Flame Blade
    Flaming Sphere
    Heat Metal
    Scorching Ray
    3rd
    Fireball
    Fire Trap
    Flame Arrow
    4th
    Wall of Fire
    5th
    Cone of Cold
    Glibness
    6th
    Fire Seeds
    Freezing Sphere
    7th
    Delayed Blast Fireball
    Fire Storm
    8th
    Incendiary Cloud
    Polar Ray
    9th
    Meteor Swarm

Metal
    Spoiler
    Show

0th
    Resistance
    1st
    True Strike
    Divine Favor
    Magic Weapon
    2nd
    Calm Emotions
    3rd
    Magic Weapon, Greater
    Magic Vestment
    4th
    Divine Power
    5th

6th

7th

8th

9th

Wood
    Spoiler
    Show

0th

1st
    Entangle
    Pass without Trace
    2nd
    Wood Shape
    Warp Wood
    3rd
    Plant Growth
    4th
    Command Plants
    Neutralize Poison
    Poison
    5th
    Wall of Thorns
    6th
    Repel Wood
    7th
    Animate Plants
    8th
    Control Plants
    9th
    Shambler

Water
    Spoiler
    Show

Special note; I have not entered them in, yet, but the PHB2 and later polymorph spells should all fall under this discipline at their listed spell level.

0th
    Cure/inflict Minor Wounds
    1st
    Cure/inflict Light wounds
    Lesser Vigor
    Fog Cloud
    Detect thoughts
    2nd
    Cure/inflict Moderate Wounds
    Remove Paralysis
    Restoration, Lesser
    Status
    Zone of Truth
    3rd
    Cure/inflict Serious wounds
    Dispel Magic
    vigor
    Vigor mass, Lesser
    Water Breathing
    4th
    Cure Critical wounds
    Discern Lies
    Control Water
    Death Ward
    Alter Self
    Restoration
    Neutralize Poison
    5th
    Cure/inflict Light, Mass
    Baleful Polymorph
    Vigor, Greater
    6th
    Cure/inflict Moderate, Mass
    Vigorous Circle
    7th
    Cure/inflict Serious, Mass
    Regenerate
    Polymorph
    Resurrection
    8th
    Cure/inflict Critical, Mass
    Heal
    Harm
    9th
    Mass Heal
    True Resurrection

General Guidelines for Non-core spells:
    Spells with Air or Electricity subtypes go in Air, Cold or fire in Fire, Acid in Pant.

Spells that specifically interact with an element should go in that element.

Spells that Heal should go in Water.

Spells that give moral bonuses should go in Fire.

Spells that improve or defend against Melee combat should go in Metal.

Spells that improve or defend against Ranged combat should go in Wood.

Spells that improve your ability to sense/understand others should be Water.

Spells that allow you to control others should be either Fire or Water.

Spells that improve Strength or Endurance should be Earth.

Spells that improve ability to control animals should be earth.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2010-01-30 at 10:38 PM.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

For professionalism reasons, BAB and the saves should have "+" before each of the numbers. Also, insert the number of attacks. "+6/+1," for example. I'm not good at balancing (ha!) spellcasting classes, so I'm going to just keep an eye on this for now, make like a baby, and head out.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was hoping someone would do a furycrafter class. Having only read the first novel, I knew I wasn't yet up to the task. I had thought to use a more Incarnum-style build, but yours looks promising (from what I know from the first book).

A few balance-ish issues:

1) each element should have the same number of bonus skills available.
    2) you have ray of frost listed under the Fire spells -- I'm guessing this is a typo.
    3) Earth is the only element without an elemental damage type. What do you plan to do to balance up Earth?
    4) from what I remember of the book, some crafters were more powerful than others, but seemed to be at the same "level", if you will. And some had only one element (Tavi's aunt, whose name escapes me, is one) but were a great deal more powerful than some with two elements. Is there a way you can reflect this? Some type of specialization, perhaps? Maybe give up your secondary, tertiary, and/or quaternary for a caster-level type increase.
    5) I'd really love to see some of the alterations that the Water-types could do, and the boosts to Strength and Conditioning that the Earth-types could do, etc.

I'll probably have more comments later, after you've had a chance to fill in more of the spells and such. I'll definitely be following this thread.

Melayl
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You're idea about the incarnum is a good one: the primary reason I'm doing mine as a caster is that I've never felt that DnD ever did anything interesting with elemental casters, so I decided to see if I could make one. Oh, and I wouldn't mind having more class features, but right now I'm not sure if more would break it. For example, in the spellcasting section I mention disciplines: effectively you'd get some minor bonuses based on your elemental focuses, like Wild Empathy for Earth based, or the ability to wear heavier armors. Still working out exactly how that would work, and even if I want to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melayl View Post
    True. My main problem is which skills fit. Suggestions would be appreciated.
    2) you have ray of frost listed under the Fire spells -- I'm guessing this is a typo.
    I thought that would get noticed. Actually, in the second book it turns out that fire-crafting controls changes in energy, so the cold spells fit there.
    3) Earth is the only element without an elemental damage type. What do you plan to do to balance up Earth?
    Actually, Metal lacks that as well. I'm really not sure about the balancing, which is one of the main reasons I posted this here. The Furies should all be about as useful, but I'm really not sure how to put that in game terms. Still thinking about it, though suggestions are welcome.
    4) from what I remember of the book, some crafters were more powerful than others, but seemed to be at the same "level", if you will. And some had only one element (Tavi's aunt, whose name escapes me, is one) but were a great deal more powerful than some with two elements. Is there a way you can reflect this? Some type of specialization, perhaps? Maybe give up your secondary, tertiary, and/or quaternary for a caster-level type increase.
    If this was a point based system(Exalted, gurps, Hero) I think I could, but I can't think of a way to do it in the DnD system without being ridiculously complex. Well, that's not entirely true: one method would be to give ECL bumps at the additional focus levels, but I don't see a way to make it balanced.
    5) I'd really love to see some of the alterations that the Water-types could do, and the boosts to Strength and Conditioning that the Earth-types could do, etc.
    Really, that's going to be based on spells. I was thinking of including a channeling ability in addition to the manifesting, but so many of it's functions could be just as easily replicated by spells.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2009-11-10 at 11:03 AM.
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I disagree. The skill lists need a lot of work, but 'same number' is a bad measure of balance for skills. For instance, Air and Earth both have 3 skills, but Earth is sitting on 3 that are normally ignored by most players(barring search*) Much better to think of it as how many points would the typical player sink into these additional skills, and how powerful is that for them.

*Why oh why does this class have such unsynergistic skills when it comes to being a trapmonkey? Either he can search for some traps, or he can disable all of them, but not both. That's a bad design scheme, and honestly, as a primary spellcaster, not his job. To my knowledge, only a small handful of classes get access to trapfinding skills(ACF Ranger, Scout, Rogue), and none are primary spellcasters. If you want to keep it, that's not horrid, but keep in mind that you're going against the grain.

Air

You give them balance, tumble and jump, but why is an element that should never touch the ground using balance and jump?(I'm pretty sure tumble can be used mid-air) I'd give them:

Tumble - Rolling through the air
    Speak Language - Hear the whispers of far off languages
    Perform(Oratory, Song, Wind Instruments) - The music of air

-Casters love tumble so they can move away from melee to cast their spells, which will probably see a solid 1 point/level, while perform and speak language offer some social interaction, but not enough to cover the subject by themselves.

Fire

Again with the weird skills. Diplomacy on a fire element? When have you ever heard of fire being diplomatic? Here, I'd go:

Intimidate - Fire is scary stuff, and this helps reflect that
    Climb & Jump - Fire is incredibly mobile
    Perform(Dance) - Obvious

Water

Your choices for water are really appropriate with what the element is normally characterized as. However, compared to what I'm suggesting above, the list is too strong. I'd trim either diplomacy or disguise here, or add more elsewhere.

--------------
    Ok, so far, while you've been missing the flavor I'm used to in the elements, you've at least had a unified idea of what each element is. With the last three, the flavor seems rather blurred between them.

Metal

If you're going to have a trap-monkey element, metal makes the most sense, and you might as well just go all or nothing, cause that's what your players will do if they're smart.

Trapfinding - not a skill, but necessary to use search properly in this manner
    Search
    Open Lock
    Disable Device

Earth

Autohypnosis - Really, this could've gone in metal, but I think its full already, and Earth's a good fit anyway.
    Hide & Move Silently

Wood

Huh, wood's an element. Seeing how its the only one that is actually organic, it makes the most sense for all the 'nature' skills.

Survival
    Search + Track(feat) - Oh look, you can recognize someone's footprints in the dirt
    Handle Animal
    Ride - Just wouldn't feel right to be able to tame an animal but not be able to ride it.

Of course, there's also the fact that you're already working off a great list to start with. I mean, you've got know(all), spellcraft, concentration, listen, and spot. That alone can tie up 4+int skill points, unless you're casting stat is int, but I didn't see that listed. What is the casting stat?
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    I disagree. The skill lists need a lot of work, but 'same number' is a bad measure of balance for skills. For instance, Air and Earth both have 3 skills, but Earth is sitting on 3 that are normally ignored by most players(barring search*) Much better to think of it as how many points would the typical player sink into these additional skills, and how powerful is that for them.
    Good reasoning.

*Why oh why does this class have such unsynergistic skills when it comes to being a trapmonkey? Either he can search for some traps, or he can disable all of them, but not both. That's a bad design scheme, and honestly, as a primary spellcaster, not his job. To my knowledge, only a small handful of classes get access to trapfinding skills(ACF Ranger, Scout, Rogue), and none are primary spellcasters. If you want to keep it, that's not horrid, but keep in mind that you're going against the grain.
    That's actually something I've been wrestling with a fair bit. Though, if it helps, think of it like the Dwarven Stonecunning, which I should probably use to represent that ability.

Of course, there's also the fact that you're already working off a great list to start with. I mean, you've got know(all), spellcraft, concentration, listen, and spot. That alone can tie up 4+int skill points, unless you're casting stat is int, but I didn't see that listed. What is the casting stat?
    Yeah. Actually, I'm thinking of trimming the universal list a bit, probably giving some of the knowledges to appropriate elements, along with possibly spot. Listen I think can stay where it is.

And I never actually put down the casting stat before. Oh well, it's there now(Cha).

Now, as for the skills, I guess it's a good idea to give some background. This is what the elements are related too in the books. This is from the wikipedia page.

Water Used in healing, communicating over large distances, reading emotions, shape shifting, keeping a youthful appearance, and manipulating water; disrupted by fire.

Earth Used to gain strength, tracking and hunting, manipulate the earth, calm animals, and inspire lust. A manifest earth fury can attack directly and can carry a crafter across ground as if on a raft. Earthcraft is necessary to travel swiftly on furycrafted roads throughout Alera. Earthcraft is disrupted when contact with the ground is lost.

Wood Used in manipulating plants, tracking and for camouflage; used by archers to bend massive bows to allow arrows to fly further and faster, and to increase accuracy of arrows. Also used to instantly create wooden tools. Requires nearby wood or plant matter, living or dead, in order to use. Disrupted by surrounding the user with metal.

Fire Used to control firelight to subliminally manipulate passionate feelings such as joy, anger, and fear; used to create and manipulate flames for either constructive or massively destructive purposes; can be used to create cold by extracting heat from an object; manifested fire furies may attack directly; disrupted by water.

Air Used to fly, control the wind, and to increase speed and agility; Also able to bend air into a lens to see farther or into an echo chamber to allow voice communication without the need for watercrafting, however the effective range is much shorter; strong crafters may be able to bend the air to make objects or people seem invisible or to create lenses of air to focus light into a damaging beam; can be used to manipulate the weather. Windcraft is disrupted by earth, particularly in the form of salt.

Metal Used in sword play heavily as crafters can change the hardness of metal, allowing them to strike with diamond-hard blades. Combat can be totally in the dark as metalcrafters do not need light to sense nearby metal. Shields can also be made more flexible to absorb a greater amount of impact force than normal. Also used in forging weapons and other precise metal objects, and metalcrafters also have dramatically increased pain tolerance and physical endurance. Although they gain speed, accuracy and deadly ability in combat, metalcrafters do not become physically stronger, nor does metalcraft give them skills they have not learned, and they still require metal weapons/armor to make the most of their abilities. The most deadly swordmasters are those who augment their abilities with earth and wind also. Gaius Sextus, First Lord of Alera, is the only character to display the ability to manifest a metal fury - the effect being that Sextus transformed into metal, in an effect reminiscent of Colossus.

You know, I've been thinking, and I might move Concentration to one of the specialized lists...maybe metal. Yes, this will make it much harder to cast unless you go metal(and thus should be something of a gish). Good.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2009-11-10 at 12:44 PM.
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

For metal, why don't you give them a limited selection of maneuvers, to represent their prowess with swordplay? We have examples of maneuver-esque abilities in the duel we say between
    Spoiler
    Show
    Araris Valerian and Aldrick ex Gladius
    , after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, this is a good question to ask. What are you balancing this with? Is it supposed to be useable in a standard 3.5 game? Or is it more based on 3.5, and may or may not be more powerful than 3.5 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    You know, I've been thinking, and I might move Concentration to one of the specialized lists...maybe metal. Yes, this will make it much harder to cast unless you go metal(and thus should be something of a gish). Good.
    No. Thou shall not prevent spellcasters from gaining spellcasting skills. You take Concentration off the general list, and I'll hunt you down and smack you.

On the other hand, moving most of the knowledge skills into the elements will add flavor and trim primary list down almost to the bare bones.

Also, keep in mind, with charisma being a primary casting stat, you're going to average 5-6 skill points per level with these guys. That's at most 9 skills they'll seriously use, and probably 2-3 more they'll grab for synergies or easy DCs(like balance). Practically, it'll be more like 8 they'll even bother with.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I like the idea, but it definitely needs some adjustment.

The most important 'missing' aspect is definitely internalized furycrafting - it's basically 100% of the metal discipline in the books. One starting idea that would fit with the books as written would be to let the Furycrafter borrow the abilities of their manifested Fury - an earthcrafter in the book uses his ability to strengthen himself and his manifested fury is weaker as a result and aircrafters borrow their fury's swiftness on a regular basis.

Metalcrafters in the books aren't really like the other crafters - they can increase their endurance, numb their own pain, and strengthen their weapons, but they don't spellcast at all. Even Gaius' expression of metalcrafting didn't affect anything but himself.

I'd almost argue that each branch of crafting should be its own class - that way you can have a 15th level watercrafter able to hold their own against weaker multi-discipline casters. Also, it seems like the vast majority of Aleran crafters only have access to one fury. Add Crafter Lord as a theurge-esque prestige class, and you'd be in good shape.

(Of course, what I'm suggesting is WAY more of a project. If you want to approximate the flavor with a single class, the one you've put together is a very good start!)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

This is more of an approximation using a single class, plus with some other goals, namely to make an elementalist focused caster. In fact, for a while I was going with the name Elementalist, but after I decided to borrow more from the Codex Alera I decided to change the name.

I am now thinking of doing a real furycrafting class/system, probably borrowing alot from Incarnum and the Avatar d20 project.

Oh, and this class is meant to be a tier 2-3 class. Really, I'm aiming for right about ToB in terms of power, the main issue it that they're a full caster, which gives them a pretty high base power level.
    Satomi by Elagune

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'm working on a furycraft system similar to the dragonmarks from eberron. Using 5 feat trees, and a PC for each discipline, and another for multi-discipline characters. It's still a work in progress.

But I'm interested in a class version of them as well. To give you ideas for spell lists check out the shugenja from Complete Divine (air, earth, fire & water spells), or the wu jen from Complete Arcane (air, earth, fire, water & wood spells), you're on your own for additional metal spells.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

It LIVES!

Actually, Wu Gen has Metal Spells as well. In any case, I decided that it's futile to do more than the SRD, at least at first. I'll put up general guidelines if you want to use stuff from other sources.
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you're going to represent furycrafting with spells, why is Bull's Strength not on the Earth list? Or Stoneskin on the Metal list?

Personally, I don't think you can adequately represent furycrafting this way, but the class itself has potential.

... Take a real good look at my name. It is an abbreviation. Can you tell me what of?
    Get the reference in my name, or you have not lived.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Tavar, Lord Wolverine the Great, is it too forward to say I love you? and i shall be paying very close attention to this

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GaiTavMag View Post
    If you're going to represent furycrafting with spells, why is Bull's Strength not on the Earth list? Or Stoneskin on the Metal list?

Personally, I don't think you can adequately represent furycrafting this way, but the class itself has potential.

... Take a real good look at my name. It is an abbreviation. Can you tell me what of?
    Gaius Tavi Magnus?