New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    Regeneration is a perfect example of an ability which is so-so on a monster, and incredibly good for a PC. The infinite out of combat healing is only part of it; in fact, there's 4th level graft that grants fast healing (Hydra Blood). The benefit from regeneration is that you're almost impossible to kill unless you can hit the vulnerability. There are, as you mentioned, plenty of save-or-such spells that can work wonders against these characters. But being essentially immune to hit point damage is really good.
    Only at low levels, that's the thing.

By the time Spellcasters are hitting their stride HP becomes of dwindling importance and by the time a PC gets Regeneration in this class the game has reached a point where HP and AC are getting, if not already, completely superfluous.

I fully understand how Fast Healing/Regeneration can be seen as too good at 1-6. HP still matters and Spellcasters aren't wearing reality as a crown around their ears yet.

(Though honestly it still falls under meh to me. I built a character with decent regeneration and had full BaB before and it was no more than level 6. He got ripped to shreds by a pack of Hellhounds and barely did anything. On paper and in theory he should have been a slaughter machine but actual gameplay showed that all the Regen did was keep me from having to write up a new character sheet.)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Must Affix Everything to Everything! (Grafts That Don't Make Me Cry Myself To Sle

Actually, I'm not a big fan of epic play, personally. It's not really that much fun.

SIX VIRGIN BRIDES A WEEK TO APPEASE MY DARK LORD'S HUNGER FOR FLESH
    Only? I gotta sacrifice six virgin brides a day and it barely helps me luck at all! What's your secret?!
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be honest, I haven't really seen the ozodrin, but I'll definitely check it out. From the skim I just did it definitely looks like it would synergize well. If Owrtho doesn't mind, I'll see what I can do.
    Feel free to. I actually thought they would synergize quite well upon first seeing this (given both are about gaining inhuman body parts. Main difference being one takes them from others, the other grows them itself). If you have any questions about the class feel free to ask.

Right, I made a sample list of 10 handicap procedures you can perform on people if you're not really a very nice surgeon. Go ahead and make some more if you feel like it adds anything to your game, but it's kind of really depressing just making that list.
    Good to see. I'll be honest, I somehow managed to completely overlook the simple penalty ones of just taking parts off. I'd been thinking more things like putting body parts on that are detrimental, either because they are harmful normally, or the necessary backup is lacking. Examples would be impaling someone with a horn, but routing some of their vitals through the portion inside them, thus making it so it can't be taken out except by a similarly skilled individual and causing penalties due to the unhealing wound it makes, or giving someone acid producing glands, without immunity to the acid they make.
    An alternative to the first might be grafting whatever it is that makes vampires weak to sunlight into a person.

EDIT: There's now also rules for missing body parts, which can happen by accident or on purpose if you're a mad scientist.
    Those mainly look good, but I disagree with the arms reducing your strength to 1. After all, you can still push things and carry stuff. You just lack arms to help you, and must rely on using your legs and torso (maybe your head, can't forget those with bite attacks). I could see a small penalty to strength, and inability to use any skills requiring fine manipulation though. Also it should inherently cause a loss of the hand slots. You also have a random bold h in the arm penalties.

With that, how many of each slot does a character have (assuming humanoid), and would non humanoids possibly have more or less? I'd expect a human to have 2 arm slots, 2 leg slots, 2 eye slots, 2 hand slots, 2 shoulder slots, 1 head slot, 1 throat slot, 1 waist slot, and am unsure on body slots (as many of the grafts for there seem to be organs rather than replacing your torso).

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

The little quote at the top of each class is AWESOME. How do you do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

As soon as I saw the XKCD referance, I knew I had to read this. I have just skimmed this so far, and DAMN that is a lot of material. A base class, several PrC's, and a ton of source material. How long have you been working on this?
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    As soon as I saw the XKCD referance, I knew I had to read this. I have just skimmed this so far, and DAMN that is a lot of material. A base class, several PrC's, and a ton of source material. How long have you been working on this?
    Quite a while. I've been meaning to do an overhaul on grafts for ages, since the execution by WotC is terrible. What this entire system actually is is blue magic for D&D, giving monster powers to the PCs. The main difficulty with the concept is that monster powers vary wildly in power but they're not ranked the way spells are. This system gives you a way to get access to them, and in a level-appropriate order.

Quote Originally Posted by master256
    The little quote at the top of each class is AWESOME. How do you do it?
    I think it makes it more fun. I've learned not to take homebrewing too seriously. There's a ton of puns and jokes hidden in here.

EDIT: One of my personal favourite lines:

Quote Originally Posted by Me!
    Much like the beluga whale you no longer technically need eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho
    Good to see. I'll be honest, I somehow managed to completely overlook the simple penalty ones of just taking parts off. I'd been thinking more things like putting body parts on that are detrimental, either because they are harmful normally, or the necessary backup is lacking. Examples would be impaling someone with a horn, but routing some of their vitals through the portion inside them, thus making it so it can't be taken out except by a similarly skilled individual and causing penalties due to the unhealing wound it makes, or giving someone acid producing glands, without immunity to the acid they make.
    An alternative to the first might be grafting whatever it is that makes vampires weak to sunlight into a person.
    Honestly, that sounds way too complicated for too little result. If you want to make some house rules to do that stuff please feel free, but I don't think it's the kind of thing that would really be used much.

Those mainly look good, but I disagree with the arms reducing your strength to 1. After all, you can still push things and carry stuff. You just lack arms to help you, and must rely on using your legs and torso (maybe your head, can't forget those with bite attacks). I could see a small penalty to strength, and inability to use any skills requiring fine manipulation though. Also it should inherently cause a loss of the hand slots. You also have a random bold h in the arm penalties.

With that, how many of each slot does a character have (assuming humanoid), and would non humanoids possibly have more or less? I'd expect a human to have 2 arm slots, 2 leg slots, 2 eye slots, 2 hand slots, 2 shoulder slots, 1 head slot, 1 throat slot, 1 waist slot, and am unsure on body slots (as many of the grafts for there seem to be organs rather than replacing your torso).
    It's not separated into 2 arms and so on. The full list of slots is at the top of the grafts section, but you only have one Arms slot. Even if the graft is a single arm, it still fills the Arms graft slot. That way thri-kreen aren't the best supersoldiers for no reason. If you've got a single Body slot graft, it fills the Body slot entirely even if you could thematically think of a way to put two grafts in there.

I'll take a closer look at the Str penalty, you're probably right.

The h is on purpose. With a full penalty on Arms you're harmless.
    Last edited by Kellus; 2011-06-28 at 10:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly, that sounds way too complicated for too little result. If you want to make some house rules to do that stuff please feel free, but I don't think it's the kind of thing that would really be used much.
    I may well do so, and post it here. I'm actually thinking of trying to make a prc (once I get around to reading through everything here, at least for the base class and current grafts) that is able to apply harmful grafts mid combat, by using things like short term paralysis. It wouldn't be able to use most grafts like that, but would gain a smaller selection of harmful grafts made for it.
    I can see the quote now: "Sure my work is rushed and sloppy, but it's no skin off my back. It's skin off your's."

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2011-06-28 at 10:31 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    I may well do so, and post it here. I'm actually thinking of trying to make a prc (once I get around to reading through everything here, at least for the base class and current grafts) that is able to apply harmful grafts mid combat, by using things like short term paralysis. It wouldn't be able to use most grafts like that, but would gain a smaller selection of harmful grafts made for it.
    I can see the quote now: "Sure my work is rushed and sloppy, but it's no skin off my back. It's skin off your's."

Owrtho
    Nice. With a class like this the material really just writes itself. I had a shapeshifting PrC that got scrapped which had the quote, "If I said I wanted to wear your skin like a shirt, would you hold it against me?"

I'm looking through your ozodrin, and it's actually a really cool class. Any ideas on how to merge grafts with your form point abilities? I'm thinking a mechanic where you can plant a graft and fill it with some of your form points and give the recipient the benefits you would normally buy for yourself. Thoughts?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice. With a class like this the material really just writes itself. I had a shapeshifting PrC that got scrapped which had the quote, "If I said I wanted to wear your skin like a shirt, would you hold it against me?"
    I know what you mean.

I'm looking through your ozodrin, and it's actually a really cool class. Any ideas on how to merge grafts with your form point abilities? I'm thinking a mechanic where you can plant a graft and fill it with some of your form points and give the recipient the benefits you would normally buy for yourself. Thoughts?
    I was actually thinking of a similar idea myself. A few possibilities would be to have different grafts for each feature, have the grafts either filled with an amount of form points when made (possibly with a level based cap), or allow the class to change it later without redoing the graft, and setting the allotment of points upon making the graft vs. allowing the class to change it like normal features (possibly requiring contact with the person who has it) vs letting the person with the graft control it (but it would be limited by what augments were available to the class when they made it). All of those could likely be implemented as various levels of grafts, depending on where you wanted to go with it. Most likely would want to make an underlying cost for the grafts in form points based on the version, before looking at the form point cost for the feature and augments.

Mind if none of this makes sense or I completely misinterpreted what you meant, I blame my being about to go to sleep.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2011-06-29 at 04:56 AM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I actually had in mind to try my hand at a grafting base class sometime, so that there'd be someone who could graft EVERYTHING instead of just one specific group of grafts (and since the artificer doesn't get grafts by default). This saves me time and headaches! Thanks!

Will have to of course look into those PrCs as well, but I have a feeling I will become a fan of this project of yours.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

11. - Top - End - #41

Did somebody say they wanted a prestige class for xenotheurgy?

The Xenomorph

Spoiler
    Show
    "Don't worry, I promise it's a big surprise."

Image credit *COVENS-OZ of deviantart.com.

For some xenoalchemists, hunting down bizarre and alien creatures for their body parts is enough of a delve into the unknown. For a xenomorph, it's not. These savants study the secrets of the Far Realms, a twisted and alien landscape where physical laws have no meaning and cause and effect are redundant. Their research inevitably consumes them, until their minds and bodies are twisted in the image of that maddening place. For those with a strong enough stomach and a hard enough will, they might return from their studies with frightening new powers, but part of them will always reside in another world.

Requirements: To become a xenomorph you must meet all of the following criteria.
    Skills: Heal 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Knowledge (the Planes) 8 ranks
    Xenoalchemy: Must be able to attach 1st level grafts
    Xenotheurgy: Must have access to 5 different murmurs

Hit Die: d6
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Skills: The xenomorph's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (the planes), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

The Xenomorph
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
    Murmurs
    |
    Xenoalchemy

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Warp growth|
    |
    +1 level of existing grafting class

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Disturbance|
    +1
    |

3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Unleash warp|
    |

4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Disturbance|
    +1
    |

5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Warp graft|
    |

6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Disturbance|
    +1
    |

7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Maddening procedure|
    |

8th|+6|+2|+2|+6|Disturbance|
    +1
    |

9th|+6|+3|+3|+6|Whispering implant|
    |

10th|+7|+3|+3|+7|Disturbance, strange shape|
    +1
    |

[/table]

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the xenomorph.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: You gain no additional weapon or armour proficiencies.

Warp Growth (Su): As a xenomorph you can internalize the warp energies of the Far Realms in a way lesser xenotheurgists cannot. Using your knowledge of biology you can store warp points inside graft slots on your body. These graft slots cannot be occupied by a graft in order to store energy. You can store a single warp point in each unoccupied slot, up to a maximum of 1 + your Cha modifier (minimum 1). When a warp point is stored in a warp growth you lose all the effects of it as if you had never gained it. Primarily, this means that the save DC of your breaches does not increase because of it.

Storing a warp point is a free action. Warp points stored in body slots do not automatically disappear along with most warp points when you rest. Instead you need to make a Will saving throw when you sleep for each warp growth (DC 20). Failure on such a check means the warp point in question remains in your body until the next time you rest, when you can try again.

Xenoalchemy: At every level you add +1 to your xenoalchemy level from one existing class of your choice that you have levels in. This increases your effective xenoalchemist level for the benefits of grafts as well as the level of graft you can achieve. This does not provide you with any other benefit a member of your previous class would have received, such as class features, skill points, spellcasting, or hit points.

Disturbance (Su): At 2nd level and every two levels thereafter, you become the cause of a new disturbance. For more information, see the xenotheurgist ability of the same name.

Murmurs (Su): At 2nd level and every two levels thereafter, you gain access to a new murmur along with a new incursion. For more information, see the xenotheurgist ability of the same name.

Unleash Warp (Su): Starting at 3rd level you can unleash the powerful alien energy of the warp. In order to use this ability you must have a warp point stored in a warp growth. The warp point is burned off to increase the save DC of any ability gained from a graft by +5 or to increase the effective xenoalchemist level of all of your grafts by +5 for one round. However, there is always a price for immediate power. The next Will save you make from using a breach takes a -5 penalty. Unleashing a warp point is a free action, but you can only do it once per turn.

Warp Graft (Su): Starting at 5th level your mastery of your xenoform has advanced to the point where you can store your warp points in occupied graft slots. The grafts which house the warp energy become twisted and chaotic with the infusion. While occupied in this way, you can replace the save DC for the effect of such a graft with the save DC for the highest DC breach save you have available. You are still limited to a number of warp points stored in graft slots equal to 1 + your Cha modifier (minimum 1).

Maddening Procedure (Su): At 7th level you can initiate others into the secrets of the Far Realms. When you attach a graft to someone, you can choose to store a warp point in it much like you store them in your own grafts. However, without a way to harness the energies of the Far Realms the subject begins to change themselves in its image. They gain a single disturbance you possess, as well as access to a single murmur you have access to as if they were an afflicted xenotheurgist. A creature can only receive a single graft of this type; the second one drives them completely, permanently insane. This requires that you have a warp point on hand to transplant to them at the time of surgery.

Whispering Implant (Su): At 9th level you can perform a procedure on yourself which forges a permanent connection with the Far Realms. Choose one of your graft slots which is unoccupied. That slot is now permanently filled with your whispering implant, which is a part of your body that has begun to twist and shape itself in alien ways. You must choose a single inactive murmur you have access to at this point, which will form the bridge between your whispering implant and the Far Realms.

From now on, that murmur is always active for you, in addition to the normal maximum of three active murmurs. You cannot change murmurs later on. If the graft is ever removed, the flesh evaporates as soon as it loses contact with your body with a loud scream. The graft regrows 1d4 rounds later, with no change in statistics. You cannot store warp points in your whispering implant.

Strange Shape (Su): Your body has become broken and twisted by the energies of the Far Realms. Whenever all of your graft slots are occupied (Arms, Body, Eyes, Hands, Head, Legs, Shoulders, Throat, Torso, and Waist) with either a graft or a warp point, you gain the effects of this ability.

Your alien anatomy grants you full (100%) fortification, protecting you from effects such as critical hits and sneak attacks. The bizarre form is also able to thrive off of the foreign energies of the Far Realms. When you internalize your disturbances they now actually bolster your mental control, granting you a cumulative +1 bonus on Will saves.

However, you now require an additional 2 hours sleep every night above and beyond the 2 additional hours xenotheurgists normally require. You only ever have nightmares, and you always remember them perfectly. This effect occurs whether your slots are full or not.
    Last edited by Kellus; 2011-06-29 at 09:29 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

That is awesome. I want to play one now.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Holy, Dear Cthulhu stop this epicness!

No really this is epic. I just got a DM that is allowing me to play a Xenotheurge in RL but now you're making me want to be a Xenomorph!

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn-Dusk View Post
    Holy, Dear Cthulhu stop this epicness!

No really this is epic. I just got a DM that is allowing me to play a Xenotheurge in RL but now you're making me want to be a Xenomorph!
    No reason not to. It's a simple system to learn and you only need a one level dip in xenoalchemist to take levels in it.

Glad you like it.

15. - Top - End - #45

Dude, why do you lie to us? I will be crying myself to sleep from now on... with tears of joy at the overwhelming AWESOMENESS coupled with the knowledge that we will almost never be able to compete with this.

Anyway, my only major problems are the blood drain, because 3d4 Con damage per round is way powerful, and the Wish graft that doesn't have any XP cost. That, and the Nosomatic Chirurgeon might be a bit excessive with the ability damage potential.

Although, it is a tad unfortunate that the Xenomorph name can only apply to one PrC, since it could apply equally, if not better, to the Ozodrin-Xenoalchemist combination class.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Falcon View Post
    Dude, why do you lie to us? I will be crying myself to sleep from now on... with tears of joy at the overwhelming AWESOMENESS coupled with the knowledge that we will almost never be able to compete with this.

Anyway, my only major problems are the blood drain, because 3d4 Con damage per round is way powerful, and the Wish graft that doesn't have any XP cost. That, and the Nosomatic Chirurgeon might be a bit excessive with the ability damage potential.

Although, it is a tad unfortunate that the Xenomorph name can only apply to one PrC, since it could apply equally, if not better, to the Ozodrin-Xenoalchemist combination class.
    Hey, I'm glad you like it!

As for your concerns:

• The blood drain only applies when you grapple people, which at high levels is really hard. Most monsters are either much bigger than you are, immune to Con damage, or able to use things like freedom of movement that take grappling straight out of the game. Against some monsters some of the time it's very useful, but a lot of the time it won't be doing much. That's what I was aiming for with level 3 grafts. Situational but strong.

• The wish graft comes online at level 17, and just having it means that you can't have any of the other incredibly good level 5 grafts. At those levels, wish can already be done without an XP cost in a lot of ways. This is a clear rules way to get a single wish a day, which honestly isn't that overpowered at that level. Wish can get pretty ridiculous when you have either an unlimited number or just a very large number of them. A single wish is good, but not gamebreaking at 17th level.

• Nosomatic chirurgeon gets a ton of cool things to do with diseases, but the main obstacle for the class remains that disease isn't that viable in a combat timeframe. Even at the highest levels the disease takes 10 rounds between iterations, and in that time a full caster could have killed someone about 20 times. Again, good, but not overpowering. There are some cool things it can do, but without overshadowing the rest of the party.

Thanks for the comments!
    Last edited by Kellus; 2011-06-29 at 08:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

• The wish graft comes online at level 17, and just having it means that you can't have any of the other incredibly good level 5 grafts. At those levels, wish can already be done without an XP cost in a lot of ways. This is a clear rules way to get a single wish a day, which honestly isn't that overpowered at that level. Wish can get pretty ridiculous when you have either an unlimited number or just a very large number of them. A single wish is good, but not gamebreaking at 17th level.
    I completely disagree with you. Wish is incredibly powerful, and at no point is it ever balanced to give players access to a free Wish on a regular basis. This is only a valid argument if you're intending the Xenoalchemist to be Tier-1, and a self-optimizing one at that, and the rest of the class does not seem to suggest that this is the goal.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    I completely disagree with you. Wish is incredibly powerful, and at no point is it ever balanced to give players access to a free Wish on a regular basis. This is only a valid argument if you're intending the Xenoalchemist to be Tier-1, and a self-optimizing one at that, and the rest of the class does not seem to suggest that this is the goal.
    Name one overpowered thing for 17th level that you can do with a single wish every day.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Free magic items; breaking WBL is breaking the game even at high levels.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Name one overpowered thing for 17th level that you can do with a single wish every day.
    Duplicate any 8th level spell at will once a day? That by itself without any XP cost makes one effectively crazy batnman prepared.

You can each day make one very nice magic item. Also, you can use wishes to not just create magical items but add to their power. If each day one adds an ability to is the equivalent of a +1 bonus to a weapon it doesn't take long until you've got a "+ 5 Relevant campaign common enemy bane, dancing, flaming burst, ghost touch, keen, mighty cleaving, shocking burst, speed, spell storing, vicious, vorpal broadsword." That in fact takes... about 2 weeks of work. And that's only a tiny section of all the possible bonuses.

Any NPC you encounter you can offer free of charge a +1 bonus to a stat. That's a quick way to get a lot of people really liking you and willing to help out.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

21. - Top - End - #51

You guys are probably right. Because of the economy-breaking possibilities I'll figure out a new 5th level graft to replace it.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

You guys are probably right. Because of the economy-breaking possibilities I'll figure out a new 5th level graft to replace it.
    If it had the regular XP cost associated with Wish, or even a large fraction of the regular xp cost it would probably be ok.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    If it had the regular XP cost associated with Wish, or even a large fraction of the regular xp cost it would probably be ok.
    I don't believe in XP costs as a balancing mechanic. They're terrible for the game.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't believe in XP costs as a balancing mechanic. They're terrible for the game.
    Hmm, how about then just once a day duplicate a spell of 7th level or below, and if it has an expensive focus or material component that needs to be supplied?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

25. - Top - End - #55
    Colossus in the Playground

How about a true Wish with no XP cost but can't create magical items? (Replicate any spell, make mundane items, bump stats)

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Hmm, how about then just once a day duplicate a spell of 7th level or below, and if it has an expensive focus or material component that needs to be supplied?
    That's not a bad idea. Sort of a restricted wish. I don't even really have a problem with 8th level and lower spells like normal as long as they have to supply the components and can't just wish for free stuff. Good thought!

EDIT: Also a good idea, NeoSeraphi. The key problem is the free money, breaking the economy. Take that away and it might be reasonable.
    Last edited by Kellus; 2011-06-29 at 10:22 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, allowing 8th level would probably be ok.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

28. - Top - End - #58

In an attempt to put this issue behind us, here's a new version of the 5th level graft in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Me!
    Noble Blood
    Level: 5
    Body Slot: Body (Su)
    Monster Requirement: Any creature with wish as a spell-like ability
    Example Monsters: Noble djinn

Only the purest of blood carries the powers to rewrite the cosmos. With a successful transfusion you get to tap into this primal power yourself. You can use wish as a spell-like ability once per day at a caster level equal to the xenoalchemist level. This wish has a few restrictions, however. You can use it to imitate any spell as normal for the spell, but you must provide any costly material components, and you cannot replicate a spell with an XP cost. You also cannot use the wish to provide you with magical or nonmagical items and equipment.
    That gets rid of the worst abuses and still provides the benefit it was supposed to, which is an incredibly versatile ability that can be used once a day.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

29. - Top - End - #59

Here's a few feats for other people in the party to get the most of the xenoalchemist.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lab Assistant
    You're an excellent asset to have at hand when performing surgery.
    Benefit: You can harvest organic material as if with the harvest material class feature. When you're around to assist with performing a xenoalchemical procedure, it takes an hour less than normal and the Heal check to perform surgery gains a +2 circumstance bonus. You can also select two seperate Knowledge skills to gain a +2 bonus on.

Massive Pain Tolerance
    You can tolerate enormous amounts of pain and your body can be stretched further than most peoples'.
    Benefit: You can have one additional graft beyond normal, up to 2 + your Constitution modifier (minimum 2). You still can't have multiple grafts in the same slot, though. As a side benefit, you gain damage reduction 5/– which only applies to nonlethal damage (ie. pain).

Mutagenic Body
    Your body is naturally volatile, and readily accepts foreign grafts. Grafts are more effective on you than on lesser people.
    Benefit: Any grafts attached to you are treated as having a xenoalchemist level of 2 higher than normal. This affects, among other things, save DCs and scaling effects. You also gain energy resistance 5 to an energy type of your choice.

30. - Top - End - #60

Another issue is that it fails to be able to do what it says in the quote: Attach grafts to ludicrous places, like jaws to your torso or a fire-breathing head to your arm.