New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

"Hm?" Aldrin looks at the paladin with a peculiar expression. "You misunderstand me. Jensi should pray for the living rather than the slaughtered; he's beyond help now." He points at the butchered corpse. While the others are searching, Aldrin leans back against a wall, careful not to come into contact with any contaminated meat.

Hold on... contaminated?

With his eyes wide open, Aldrin bites his lip and asks, "You... you don't think they fed any... human meat to the beggars, do you? I mean, there's mostly beef in here, but who says that's all they've been serving?"

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard was shocked by the gruesome scene and the madness of this long night. In an unusual surge of emotions, the duelist considered just exiting the room; but he knew that would not help anyone

Let your mind float and consider your options the fencer repeated to himself, remembering his fencing training

We should check this room thoroughly, but once we are done, we should consider a method to move this body back to the Citadel. Marshall Kroft might be able to contact clerics that could speak with the dead, allowing us to learn more about this unfortunate soul. Rennard says to all the companions in the room. After a brief pause, he adds

But we should do this quietly, the last thing we want is being caught by the HellKnights while transporting a body, no matter how good our intentions are

After Aldrin voices his concern about the meat, Rennard responds

I hope they didn't do such an atrocious thing, but there is no way of knowing. We should handle that information discretely, for it might cause more disturbances, either with the poor being driven mad for their unwanted action, or by the upper classes out of their desire to make an example out of someone

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jensi

Jensi looks at Aldrin with compassion. "Aldrin," he says gently, "everyone deserves to have someone looking out for them. I try to help everyone."

As Aldrin posits his hypothesis, Jensi goes as white as a sheet, closing his eyes and wincing at the horror of the though. He shakes his head. "No, no, no, would anybody do that? Why would they?"

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian closes his eyes, breathes deeply, then says, "we don't know if that was the meat they gave away. Right now, that doesn't matter. It looks like there were only four guards here, Kroft said six, at least. We should check further inside - I don't remember seeing other doors, but we need to look. Someone check these here to see if there is anything to identify that body." Atavian headed through the double door Tallox and he came through looking around for anything of note - particularly, other exits.

Spoiler
    Show
    Walking through doors, looking around.
    Atavian Perception: (1d20+2)[11]
    Tallox Perception take 10: 15

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

Atavian actively searches the butcher's shop, and everyone takes a glance around. The area appears to have no obvious entrances or exits, aside from those that have just been used.

Moving into the cattle pens adjoining the slaughterhouse, the party resumes their search. Again, there appears to be little to find; pens line the walls, and the only doors are those you've come through.

Kalinda
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is, in fact, a large, 10 ft by 10 ft trap door in the floor, though the matted straw, muck, and dung makes it very difficult to see.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalinda
    With her weapons cleaned and checked, Kalinda is able to take in the gruesome scene at the butcher's shop. She seems...dazed...by the whole thing and moves about with eyes that don't appear to be focused on anywhere in particular. Once the group heads to the stables to search there, she seems to float back into reality, and wipes some tears from her eyes, though she doesn't say anything. Glancing around the stables, she kicks at the ground with one of her well-worn boots. Seeing a line in the scuff mark, her eyes go wide as she points towards a section of the floor.

"Look! There's a trap door under here. It's huge!"

She quickly brushes away the muck and straw with her boot to reveal the outline of the door, looking for any handholds, ropes, or hinges that will help them open it.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

As soon as the gunslinger point out the trap door, Rennard moves to her side

Well spotted he says to Kalinda in the same tone he would use in the Academy to acknowledge a well executed parry or a timely counterattack (which is still far off from a praise, but the general sentiment remains)

The duelist will proceed to help Kalinda clearing the door in search for handles. If there are any, the fencer will immediately get in position to open the entrance

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin eyes the trap door wearily.

"More unprepared delving. How fun."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

9. - Top - End - #279

The trapdoor slowly creaks open, spilling debris from its surface over the stable. It is dark below, but dim, natural light illuminates a wide, man-made passage, 15 feet across and 10 feet tall, with unlit torch brackets on the wall. The floor is caked with a similar mixture of feces, straw, and dirt as that on the stable floor. The tunnel slopes downwards slightly, then evens out about 80 feet ahead of you.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan looks down the hole, then to the others. "Hmm... I wonder what use a slaughterhouse would have for something like this... Unless it was made by the deserters? Regardless, we should investigate. Shall I lead the way?"
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalinda draws her pistol and steps up to the hole. "Can you see in the dark? I'll need a torch if I'm to hit anything." Kalinda will look about the stable for some spare torches, unless one of her companions has one to lend her.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

"Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin snorts, "Torches? I don't think that will be necesary."

He whispers the words for a simple incantation, and the party's weapons begin to glow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting light on the weapon for each party member. Also casting it on Aldrin's gloves and Jensi's as well

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan looks at his now glowing sword. "Hmm... This in unnecessary. Darkness is little obstacle to me. I can easily lead the way through the dark, and if we need to give battle while your vision is obscured I can provide all the light we need. There is no reason to announce our coming to anyone who may be down there; better by far to catch them in the act of any crimes they may be committing. Can you deactivate this spell?" He holds his sword out, in case Aldrin needs more direct access to it.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2011-08-03 at 01:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Troll in the Playground

I actually think that Aldrin's method is safer, and haste might prove a better ally than stealth. Rennard says to the paladin, proceeding to enumerate the reasons of his statement in an amlost scholastic tone We do not know if there are any traps on this passage, so a light source might prove useful. I'm also concerned about the risks of being attacked while we are trying to make enough light to see our enemies. Finally, I am not sure all of us could successfully get through his passage without making enough noise to betray our position.

Unless there are further objections to the light, Rennard will start heading down the passage. He does not mind going first, but will allow anyone who wants to take the lead to do so

15. - Top - End - #285

Jensi

"Good idea!" Jensi says brightly to Aldrin, all previous tensions between the two over the dead men upstairs apparently forgotten. "I think we should do this quickly. There might be someone alive down here who we can save, or..." - you can see his slim frame shiver in the shadowly light - "or, at least we can stop this, right?"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

At Dastan's comment, Aldrin narrows his eyes, "You can see in the dark? Regardless, I, and the rest of us, I'm sure, cannot see in the dark, and I would rather you do not waste time providing light for our benefits (which I can already do), when you could be fighting. Anyway, we're wasting time; if there's someone to save, we should move. Now."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

"Very well, then let us proceed." Dastan turns around and heads directly down the passageway, weapon at the ready in case they run into any more deserters. He prefers to take the lead, if only so that any attackers will target him first.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2011-08-03 at 06:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288

The passageway is long, dark, and malodorous, but is otherwise harmless. You soon see clearly that the passage has sloped down-hill. It is clear that night has fallen from the moonlight shining in from the end of the tunnel. As you near the end, you hear the sounds of heavy snorting, stomping, rustling, and deep moos. Faint voices are also clearly audible.

You can also hear the faint noises of shouting, screaming, and clashing arms. The riots have clearly not abated with the twilight.

Atavian and Kalinda
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your keen ears hear the echoey noises of the nearby voices through the tunnel. There appear to be two, and they are whispering.

"This has been too much trouble already," a stiff, obviously-nervous male voice says. "People are getting suspicious about where we're getting the money to keep up the free food."

"I'm paying you good gold, Vancaskerkin; don't get cold feet now," a croaky, sly voice retorts. The show must go on, as they say, and I expect you to keep makin' sure it does just that. We clear? Oh, and if you back out, I'll tip off the guards that your your chow ain't very wholesome." The voice lets out a hissing laugh. "They wouldn't think even I could do something like that." As an afterthought, he adds: "Or maybe them Hellknights instead. It's a mighty big crime here..."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalinda
    The gunslinger instinctively drops into a crouch. She motions forward with her gun and whispers.

"I hear two people talking up ahead. I think one of them is the butcher. The other sounds like the one pulling his strings."

Despite being a street waif, Kalinda is not very good at sneaking around, so she makes no move to creep forward.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard

We should try catching whoever is behind this before they have a chance to escape whispers the fencer in the same hushed tones.

The duelist thinks quickly and formulates a plan Time is of the essence: Dastan, Tallox and I can rush in and try to cover any other exits. Jensi, Aldrin, Kalinda and Atavian will keep this path closed and provide ranged cover. We cannot let the brains of the operation escape

Unless there are any objections to the plan, Rennard will get ready to run into the room and maneuver himself to block any exits

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Could we see the up to the end of the tunnel without the light spell on the blades? If so, we could try covering them (or sheathing them, even though is a less preferable option)

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"I hear them too," Atavian mutters under his breath.

Tallox grins and whispers back, "sounds like fun, mortal! I'll lead..." Without waiting for further discussion, Tallox starts to move down the corridor. Atavian loads his crossbow and nods.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan draws his shield. "Agreed. We can't let them escape." He starts making his way behind Tallox, moving slightly more slowly thanks to the burden of his armour.

23. - Top - End - #293

The group rushes down the passageway, making no pretext of stealth. You emerge into a back courtyard that lies in the shadow of the butcher's shop. Cattle pens line the right-hand side of the courtyard, and the high walls of ring in the opposite side of the courtyard. These walls are grey, unadorned, dirty stone, with square 4 feet by 4 feet windows sitting 15 feet up. A solitary, scraggly tree sways in the wind.

In the pens, four fat cows stomp, perturbed by the noises of the rioting all around.

In the centre of the courtyard, a tall, blond man with a neat beard stands. He is wearing chainmail, and has clearly heard your approach. "Damnit, Parns; I told you not to interrup- who the Hells are you!

The other figure, who you presume was talking to the blond man, is shorter, with a dark, hooded cloak wrapped about his figure, concealing everything but a long, bulbous nose and jutting chin. He starts visibly at the sight of you.

Accompanying these two men is another armed and armoured figure - this one a square-jawed woman with her hand on her sword's hilt. As well, a truly massive blood-red mastiff - four feet high and at least six feet long - growls menacingly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise surprise, you've won initiative again!

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

V is the blond man.
    Cl is the cloaked man.
    G is the guardswoman.
    M is the mastiff.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tallox grins ear to ear, then proclaims loudly, "Who am I? I am your death, mortal!" At that declaration, he throws the thick cloak around him to the ground. For the first time since meeting the others, his raw, naked, true form stands before them, the gray skin on his back glistening softly in the moonlight. His black claws are spread wide in a confident pose - ready to strike.

Tallox cannot remember a day in his life where he felt this good - where he had this much fun. His huge, orange eyes flitted over the four targets. Atavian will grow strong from their destruction... he can sense it. I feel stronger already. Ah yes... He chooses his target. He sprints forward, the claws at the end of his toes digging into the ground as he runs. Though the cloak did little to slow him, he feels freer, more fluid, without it. Five feet shy of his target, he suddenly pounces at the guardswoman. His hand smacks her freshly pulled weapon aside and his jaw clamps down at her shoulder.

Atavian stares in horror as Tallox displays a degree of initiative unlike any before. To the dismay of the halfling, the beyonder seems to delight in this carnage. Still, what can Atavian do? Help... Holding his loaded crossbow in one hand, he tries to stun the blonde man, hoping to keep him out of the fray.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tallox charge
    Tallox bite: (1d20+8)[9] Edit: UGH!!! Way to Krul that one Tallox! After that long post too! Grrr...
    Tallox damage: (1d6+4)[5]

Daze Blondie: DC 14

Summary:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tallox
    HP: 18/18. AC: 19 (17+4 mage armor -2 charge), 11 Touch, 20 Flatfooted.
    Saves: +4 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +3 Will.

Atavian
    HP: 20/20. AC: 16, 13 Touch, 14 Flatfooted.
    Saves: +3 Fortitude, +3 Reflex, +4 Will.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-08-06 at 02:43 AM.

25. - Top - End - #295

Jensi

"Shelyn?" Jensi calls, quietly and more to himself than anything else. "I don't know if you're here, in this place - I mean, I don't think you would have let this happen - but, if you are, please help my friends to stop this." His violet eyes stare determinedly out at the new foes who confront them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting bless, everyone gets +1 to attack

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Always go for the head. Once you take it out, the rest will fall apart Rennard remembered the Maestro saying at the Academy when teaching the students how to deal with multiple opponents

Feeling invigorated with Jensi's spell, the duelist dashes across the battlefield aiming at the cloaked figure, infusing his blade with arcane energy as he does so. With a resolute face, he lunges towards his enemy trying to wound him and put him on the defensive

Actions:

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift: Activate Arcane Pool
    Move: 1 up and then charge at cloaked figure
    Attack - (1d20+10)[30]
    Damage - (1d6+2)[3]
    EDIT: Confirmation (see OOC): Attack=25, Damage=+8 (total 11)

Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP=20/20, AC=15, Arc. Pool=1/7
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-08-06 at 07:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin looks at the exit. Then he looks at the mastiff.

No way I'm out-running that thing...

Scared out of his mind, Aldrin decides to coordinate spells with Atavian, using a simple dazing spell to keep the other opponents out of the way while his companions could deal with the ferocious beast. What their opponents were doing here didn't even register in his mind. He just wanted them dead. Aldrin mutters the words of powers and points to the cloaked man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Daze on the cloaked man. DC 15 will

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan

The Paladin quickly surveys the enemies arrayed before him, and his eyes settle on the massive mastiff. Seeing his allies striking for other foes, he quickly realizes, That creature could crush Jensi or Atavian with one snap of its jaws. I'll have to deal with it... With a shout he charges at the oversized canine, blade held high and shield at the ready.

Spoiler
    Show

Charging at the Mastiff and using Power Attack.
    Attack: (1d20+6)[21] Edit: forgot Jensi's Bless. That should be a 22.
    Damage: (1d8+5)[13]

Summary:
    HP: 16/20
    AC: 16, Touch 8, FF 16
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +9
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2011-08-06 at 01:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

With the two men and giant dog engaged, Kalinda locks eyes with the armored woman. Heavy armor may deflect swords, but it only makes you an easier target for bullets!

"Dodge this!" she thinks as she takes a step forward (or more if necessary) to get within killing range.

Spoiler
    Show

Attacking Guardswoman!
    Pistol Attack vs touch AC: (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage: (2d4+1)[5]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing

30. - Top - End - #300

The woman deftly dodges Tallox's charging pounce. Sidestepping, she draws her long blade, swinging it in a two handed strike towards the eidolon. The attack is a fierce one, and bites deeply into Tallox. She grunts, however, as Kalinda's bullet pierces her chainmail.

Spoiler
    Show
    11 damage to Tallox.

The blond man is blasted by Atavian's spell, and sinks into a momentary stupor, his hand falling from his sword's hilt to sit lamely at his side.

Rennard rushes forwards, Reve stabbing deep into the cloaked figure, who lets out a high-pitched yelp and staggers backwards. He brandishes a scroll from beneath his heavy garment with a curse, shrugging off Aldrin's magic. "Vancaskerkin, I hope you get what you deserve for this idiocy!" Then, with a frantic motion, he waves his hands, and the scroll flashes with a green light. When the light dissipates, he is gone.

Everyone
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even over the fighting, you can hear the sound of clumsy running.

Dastan's sword smashes into the mastiff before the beast can react. It howls with pain, barking madly. It is a grievous injury, but the dog lunges back, and to Dastan its jaws seem infused with evil, and clamps around the paladin's leg. He barely keeps his footing, but it is a close thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    12 damage to Dastan.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-08-06 at 09:28 PM.