New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

Hearing the young oracle's disbelief and concern, Rennard responds in a softer tone than usual

I am not sure if he'd do it or not, but we saw one of his men choose death over surrendering. If their actions were vile enough, they might prefer death to what the Law has in store for them...

But you are right, waiting for the others seems to be the best option. Let's give our compa... friends a few minutes to see if their chase proved successful.

Seeing Aldrin's exhaustion, the fencer's body all of a sudden remembers how long the day has been. His muscles ached, his spells were gone and his arcane energies were almost depleted

I agree, we should take him in the magus says to the sorcerer We should also take the corpse with us, both as evidence and maybe as a source of information. Clerics might be able to speak with his spirit and tell us who he was and why he was murdered in such a fashion

But the question is how do we transport them? I'd rather move them without bringing any attention to us. We do not know who that masked man was, and if he escapes, he could send assasins to try to prevent Vancaskerkin from talking. Any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, if the city's still in chaos, it probably wouldn't even look that out of place. Hm... do we have some kind of proof we're working for Kroft? You do raise the concern that a guard would try to stop us from doing our current civic duty... ironically enough."

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

3. - Top - End - #333
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jensi

"I can try to charm him," Jensi adds helpfully. "Then he'd come with us on his own, so it wouldn't look bad at all. Or we could find a guard and just tell them what happened, I'm sure they'd believe us."

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan nods as he pulls another rag from his pouch to begin cleaning the gore off of it. "Finding a city guard would be ideal, but they may be too busy dealing with the rioting to assist us. I suggest that we find a cart, or simply carry them and hope that we can outspeed anyone sent by the cloaked man to intercept us." He looks around for a moment. "I suspect we should be able to find a cart fairly easily somewhere around here, and possibly pile some straw on top of our prisoners to help avoid attracting attention. If anyone in the city watch attempt to stop us, I am confident that I can convince them to bring us directly to Kroft, if nothing else." Somehow, the Paladin manages not to show any hint of fatigue, despite probably being as worn out as everyone else. Then again, something in his manner suggests that the first hint you'd see of exhaustion from the metallic-haired man is him collapsing on the cobblestones.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

After hearing the paladin's suggestion, the fencer nods before responding Your plan is sound, Dastan. I'm also worried that any city guards that we might encounter could be other rogue factions, so the cart would prove a very safe plan. But if we cannot find one, I guess we could always use some of these cows as makeshift mounts...
    the duelist says this in the most-matter of fact tone, not even realizing how ridiculous it might sound

Jensi, I think it's better if you save your spell for now. We can either use it on Vancaskerkin later or we can use it to hasten our return to Kroft. Since like Aldrin pointed out, we have no proof to be working for the Field-marshal, we might need as many tools as we can to prevent further misunderstandings

The duelist hesitates for a moment before proposing an alternative plan We do have another option: We could wake up Vancaskerkin, charm him and make him tell us what he knows before we turn him in. I'm not sure if the spell would be enough to make him accompany us out of his free will, for he might be walking to his execution, but we could try and fall back on the cart plan if it does not work
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-08-13 at 11:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336

Jensi

"What do the rest of you think? Should we bring him back to Cressida, or should we ask him questions here? I think we should do it - we might not get the chance otherwise, and the guards might be mean to him." Jensi completely misses that his companions might also want to be mean to someone whose operation led to unwitting cannibalism.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin shrugs.

"I'm not sure if it really matters why he did this. Kroft told us to get rid of them and we did... I imagine the Citadel would like to know, however, and if they think we should know, they'll tell us. No need to do the interrogating ourselves."
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-08-14 at 05:14 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalinda
    The young woman cleans her guns and gives the captive a look.

"Taking the dead body would be a waste of time. if we need to we can always bring people back here. Someone will need to come check on these cows anyways. Let's wake the bastard up and get what we can out of him."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

9. - Top - End - #339

Jensi

"Okay, I'm going to wake him up so we can talk. I want to see why he did this, and who that strange man was who got away was."

Spoiler
    Show
    Jensi will cast CLW on Vancaskerkin, followed by Charm Person (DC 16, +1 if Charming trait applies).

Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+2)[6]

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

After Kalinda's comment, the fencer explains his reasoning in more detail. You have a point. I am just worried that the masked man will send others to try to get rid of any evidence that could connect him to what happened here. That body is our only proof against this man if we want to claim that he did more than just defect the City Guard

Spoiler
    Show
    I am assuming that everyone is back for when we Jensi casts his spell

Before Jensi tries healing and charming the man, Rennard asks his companions to take a few precaution measures

Atavian, could you bring Tallox back? I'd like him to help me block the doorway in case Vancaskerkin is able to break his bonds and tries to escape. After that, I think it'd be best if you, Kalinda and Aldrin wait by the windows, ready to provide ranged cover

Dastan, would you stand next to the prisoner in case he is able to resist the spell and tries attacking our young friend?
    trying to avoid worrying the oracle, Rennard clarifies These are all just preventive measures, hopefully, they will be unnecessary

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan nods. "Very well. I'll admit, I am curious as to what could cause a squad of Guardsmen to take up such... Work, knowing that Cressida could never allow it to go unchecked. Though, perhaps it would be easier to control him if we used these?" He reaches into his backpack and pulls out a pair of well-worn manacles given to him by his mentors in Absalom then locks Vancaskerkin's arms together behind his back with a slight clicking sound as the lock engages. "He shouldn't be able to hurt anyone while properly restrained." Then the Paladin stands back to allow Jensi to cast his spell, ready in the event that the former guard-captain does continue to fight back.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Yes, of course... give me a minute," at first Atavian tries to make the link without issue. Then the usual trepidation occurs... though he had spent a larger fraction of this day with Tallox than any other day in his life, the beyonder was at times... unpredictable. Dismissing him so abruptly in hopes of making another effort to capture the man was his mistake (especially when the man was long gone by the time his plan would have unfolded). With the ritual complete, Tallox reappears, both naked and possessing what Atavian has learned to be a scowl adorning his face.

Tallox surveys the scene without comment for a moment then asks rhetorically, "cloaky got away?" Tallox huffs in disdain then says nothing more.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vancaskerkin awakens under Jensi's ministrations. He blinks, groans, then grins up at Jensi. "Hey, friend. Thanks for getting me out of that mess. Don't really know you, but I'm grateful, believe me."

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    "He shouldn't be able to hurt anyone while properly restrained."
    Aldrin smirks and replies, "Famous last words."

Despite his words, Aldrin gets into position, ready to attempt to halt the man if he gets out of line.

Spoiler
    Show
    Preparing to cast daze on the man if he makes any aggressive actions. (DC 15 will)

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

15. - Top - End - #345

Jensi

"We need to know what happened here," Jensi says, trying to get across as much gravitas as possible in his voice, but ends up sounding a little bit silly. "It's really important that you tell us what happened here, honestly, because we can't help you otherwise. Why would you do this?" he asks.

16. - Top - End - #346

Vancaskerkin grins widely. "That's it! I know how I'll thank you: gold!"

"That's why we did it, you know. Too much gold to refuse, and it's not like we killed anybody. Hells, most people got to eat good beef! It was a trade: we gave them food, they disposed of a few things for us, that's all."

17. - Top - End - #347

Jensi

"Wait, you didn't kill anyone, but you also knew that they were... were..." - the youth looks sick again - "were eating the people?" He clearly doesn't understand.

How can someone be evil and not evil at the same time? To just watch while something like this happened?

"So if you didn't kill them, who did? And who decided to get rid of the bodies like this?"

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Upon hearing the offer, Aldrin angrily bursts out, "Gold? You think gold is going to help you now? You worthless piece of..."

His voice trails away, and he focuses himself, careful not to let anger overtake him. The young sorcerer takes a deep breath, and continues in a calmer, but no less threatening, voice. "You disobeyed the one group trying to restore order to this town in order to fatten your purse. There is no way in the Nine Hells that we are going to let you go free for such behavior, especially since you're trying to use that same filthy gold to avoid the law. No. You're coming with us, and you're going to tell us everything you know about this little operation we uncovered."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

19. - Top - End - #349

"No need to be confused, friend," Vancaskerkin says, smiling at Jensi. "We got them pre-dead. Cleaning up someone else's mess. But I don't know who; you'd have to be thick in the head to let anyone in on the fact that you're offing people, least of all someone who does ugly things for money, eh?" He lets out a hearty chuckle.

His face darkens suddenly as Aldrin speaks, and he sees Jensi's surrounding companions. "Those people are very dangerous," he growls. "You'd best steer clear of them. I don't know why a good friend of mine would fall in people like them, but mark my words, they're trouble. They killed all my men. If I had a weapon, I'd kill 'em right back!"

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan glares at the bound ex-guardsman. "I agree with Aldrin for once. I think we've heard enough, Jensi. It's time to bring this man to Kroft to face justice for his crimes. If he knows anything else of import he won't tell us easily, and I am certain that the Marshall will contact us again if she is unable to deal with the matter herself." He walks over to Vancaskerkin and hauls him to his feet. "There's no need to struggle. You won't be able to escape, not with all of us watching you." Finally, he looks at Rennard. "Perhaps you should lead the way. You're more familiar with this city than I, and it may be best for us to keep to the less-traveled roads for now."

21. - Top - End - #351

Jensi

"They're not dangerous!" Jensi protests, coming to the defense of his companions. "Well, they're probably dangerous, but they don't do evil things, so they're not dangerous in a bad way."

"Okay," Jensi says sadly in response to Dastan. He had hoped to be able to help, but anyone willing to do such things for gold seemed too far gone. "We should hurry then. I don't want to spend any more time here."

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian whispers to Jensi, "maybe we can find out where his friend might have went first."

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalinda keeps her hands on her holsters, walking just beside Dastan and the prisoner. "If he tries to run, it'll be good target practice."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

The fencer, realizing that only Jensi can get any answers from the prisoner, addresses his questions to the oracle instead of Vancaskerkin

Jensi, I agree with Atavian. Could you ask this man for any hints on the whereabouts of the masked man? And even if he didn't know who killed the man, maybe he has some insight of who the masked man could be?

After Dastan's request, the duelist approaches the paladin and whispers to him in a low voice

I am concerned about bringing him with us while he is awake. I do not know how long will Jensi's spell last and the last thing we need is someone dressed as a guard yelling at other guards that he has been taken prisoner.

Rennard makes his way across the room, repeating his concerns to everyone in the same hushed tones, trying to avoid giving options to his enemy

After making his was across the room, the magus talks to all his companions in a louder voice

We should also decide what to do with the victim. I say we take it with us, for it is evidence of what has happened.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin nods in agreement. "That's clearly the best way to proceed. I'm sure they've got better interrogation methods at the Citadel... more painful ones, anyway. Just make sure if he tries to run, we don't accidentally kill him... that would be letting him off too easy."

He doesn't particularly take pains to say this quietly.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

26. - Top - End - #356

Jensi

"Who was the man in the mask? The one who turned invsibile then ran up the wall then jumped off a building?" Jensi asks breathlessly. Then, turning to Rennard, he adds "He'll be charmed for a couple of hours still." Then, in a whisper, the youth continues. "Only, once he finds out that we're going to give him to Cressida, the magic might stop working. I don't know for sure, but it might."

"Okay Vancaskerkin," Jensi says, valiantly attempting to smile at the ex-guard. "We're just going to go for a walk, but I'd really like it if you came with us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Charm Person works for 1 hour per level, so 2 in this case. I'm not sure if taking him to the Citadel would count as threatening him, but it seems like it might.

Bluff: (1d20+5)[9]

27. - Top - End - #357

Vancaskerkin shrugs nonchalantly at Jensi's question. "I dunno. He never told me his name, and in this business, you don't ask. Trust me. He gives me bodies and gold; that's all I need to know."

Then the party escorts the former guardsman through the winding, rubble-strewn streets of Korvosa, and across eerily silent plazas littered with the refuse of a night of violence. Twice you hear the sounds of nearby shouting, but it never comes to more than a few tense moments wondering whether a crowd of indiscriminate rioters will emerge from around the next corner or bend.

On a narrow, smoky street lined by fine shops, the windows of which have been smashed, and lit by the flickering orange light of a burning carriage - doubtlessly recently occupied by some noble - you hear the clomping of many pairs of heavy boots. Mere seconds later, a phalanx of black armoured warriors are marching forwards out of the smoke. Their equipment is spiked and fearsome, and each soldier wears a helm covering his entire face. At the front is a tall, gaunt man with blazing blue eyes and short-cropped hair. He is the sole figure with head uncovered, and, in place of armour he wears imposing grey-black robes. He holds up a gauntleted fist, and his soldiers snap to a stop with all the efficiency of automatons.

"Hold your place and surrender," the leader's booming voice commands. "Or else prepare for the end, traitors!"

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin glares at the menacing figures, and bites down on his lips hard.

Hellknights

As much as he would like to punch one right in the face, he knows that would endanger him and the others. Instead, Aldrin walks up to the man in charge, and locks gazes with him. Showing fear is not an option.

"My name is Aldras Onteford. This group and I are working with Marshall Cressida Kroft to restore order to this city. Any actions against us would counter-productive to the well-being of this city. Here with us we have a dissenter among the guards who we are taking to the Citadel for interrogation. Now do your duty to Korvosa and quell the rioters while we take care of this matter."

All the while, Aldrin's thoughts are much less confident.

Damnation! If they proceed how I think they will, all our possessions will be checked. I can only assume the worst will pass if they encounter the Queen's broach.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan snorts as the Hellknight patrol approaches, having had more than his fair share of trouble with the organization before. "My comrade is correct, Hellknight. We are lawfully pursuing a mission for the Marshall, and it is of great importance that we return this... Traitor for interrogation. I swear this on my honour. If you wish, we will accept an escort to the Citadel to verify our story." He clearly doesn't relish the idea of having to submit himself to their authority.
    Spoiler
    Show

Making a Diplomacy check to try to convince them we're telling the truth and they should cooperate with us.
    (1d20+10)[14]

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Realizing that things were not going well for his companions and that the fate of their prisoner seemed to be escaping from the party's grasp, Rennard moves close to the oracle and whispers quickly and quietly in his ear

Jensi, try to ask Vancaskerkin where he hid his gold. We may be able to retrieve it later and use it to continue helping to feed those poor souls. Also, if your "friend" where to say that he'd only submit to Kroft, his lawful superior, we might have a chance of getting out of this