New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

Rennard nods at Dastan and Aldrin's words

Very well then, let us be done with this business as soon as we can, and hope that some good comes out of it

With that, the fencer gathers his weapons and starts heading towards Eel's End, always alert to any incoming threats

2. - Top - End - #452
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jensi

Jensi stays quiet in the presence of the Field Marshall. Years in the ghettos of Korvosa taught all Varisians to hold their tongues in the presence of the guard, let alone of their commander. As the company leaves the Citadel on the way to Eel's End, however, the youth again bubbles with enthusiasm.

"Do you think he's actually the King of Spiders, or do they just call him that? Real spiders? Do they even have kings? Jensi chatters as the group approaches the docks.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin can't help but chuckle at the young oracle's comment. "Of course they don't, Jensi. Spiders are matriarchal."
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-09-19 at 09:41 PM.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Among spiders the queen would likely eat the king," Atavian chuckles as well. Then his mind drifts to the current political upheaval - and their own late, potential King of Spiders. He shakes the treasonous thoughts from his mind and presses on without further comment.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Bugbear in the Playground

You arrive at Eel's End at dusk. It lies along the docks: a long pier lined with lanterns and vendors' stalls juts out into black waters. At the end sits a decommissioned warship - the titular Eel's End, moored to the dock. Its hull is a sturdy oak, painted more recently with gaudy, stylized images of revelry and mirth. Its weapons have been replaced with lamp-posts, each of which is a cast-iron spider on a pole, on which a flame has been lit. Attached to the aging warship by rope and a lattice of connecting bridges and ladders, four other, smaller vessels bob idly in the water. Each of these has a number of buildings constructed upon its hull. All over, crowds of people carouse, many with tankards of alcohol, and some with less legal substances.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-09-20 at 09:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard points at the flagship There is a larger probability that we will find who we are looking for on the main ship clearly, the duelist does not mind pointing out the obvious.

Shall we proceed?

Unless someone produces a more subtle approach, the duelist will start walking towards whichever path would gain him quickest entrance to the flagship

7. - Top - End - #457

Jensi

"Awww," Jensi whines. "Do we really have to go so soon?" he asks plaintively, clearly disappointed. His eyes dance back and forth, taking in every glowing lamp and painting. "It looks like they're all having so much fun," he says, a little enviously, as he surveys the revellers.

Turning back to his companions: "Wow, for a place called Eel's End it's not that slimy at all. More like a big party. Too bad we have really important things to do."
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan takes up his own position on the dock, a few meters away from the plank leading up to the floating revel-house. "I will wait here for your signal; one of Aldrin's bursts of light should suffice, or anything else you might be able to arrange. With the crowds here it might take me a little while to clear a path to you, so be careful. If you suspect a trap, do not hesitate to defend yourselves. I... am sorry I can do no more for now." He rests his hand on the hilt of his sword and stands facing the ships.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

9. - Top - End - #459

The party - minus Dastan - approaches the main ship. The deck is significantly less crowded than the docks below, and you are called to a halt by an immensely large man who clearly has in him the blood of something unhuman as you reach it. He is dressed in expensive looking, gaudy red clothes, and carries across his back a large, curved blade. On either side are two other men, these ones not anywhere near as fancy, with stubbly faces and leather jerkins. "Hold. This is the ship of the King of Spiders. Only invitees are allowed on board, or those with business." Hey eyes your weapons suspiciously. "And all of that goes through me, before you get to see him." The huge man says the word "him" half-reverentially, half-fearfully.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin snorts at the massive man blocking their passage. "Oh, cute, Barvasi has a body guard now? Or perhaps secretary is a better term. At any rate, be a good boy and tell him that he has an appointment with a Chelish man he thought was dead. It may be in his best financial interests to see me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check: (1d20+9)[25]

If he turns around at any point to go see his boss, Aldrin is going to cast sleep on him, with a DC 16 will save

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

11. - Top - End - #461

The huge man frowns, his heavy brow furrowing as he scratches his head. "Err..."

One of the two men with him - both of whom look similarly confused - speak. "He didn't give any instructions 'bout what to do if a dead guy came."

The monstrous man seems to reach a decision. "Yeah, but he always wants to do what's in his 'best financial interest.' Guess you can see him then, but let me tell him first; the King of Spiders doesn't like surprises."

He turns to leave, striding towards what would once have been the captain's cabin at the rear of the ship. Then Aldrin's spell hits him and his cohorts. He yawns widely, revealing what are either small tusks or large fangs, then slumps to the ground against the side of the ship. "But first I'll take a break..." He is asleep in seconds, as are the other two men.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard sees the men fall and quickly moves towards them, retrieving some rope he carries with him

We should tie them up and move them out of the way so they don't decide to interrupt our meeting with the King of Spiders he says to the others. If anyone approaches to help, the fencer will give them the other end of the rope so they can help with the knots.

Once the three bodyguards are tied and moved out of they way, the duelist stands up and brushes his thighs

Superb execution, Aldrin the magus says to the sorcerer with an academic tone. To the rest, Rennard says Let us proceed

And he starts walking towards the captain's cabin

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

As he looks at the unconscious men, Aldrin comments, "Perhpas it would be best if you did some execution of your own. The paladin isn't present, in case you hadn't noticed." He points to the burly tusked man snoring on the ground, "I get the feeling the big one won't be hindered much by a few lengths of rope."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

14. - Top - End - #464

Jensi

"Huh," Jensi says curiously as the man falls into a deep sleep. "He must be really tired. I guess we should just go see the King of Spiders?" Then Jensi pauses, thinking. His brow furrows.

"Oh. Ohhhh. Aldrin, you put him to sleep!" Jensi says enthusiastically. "That was smart, but I don't think we need to hurt them more."
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    As he looks at the unconscious men, Aldrin comments, "Perhpas it would be best if you did some execution of your own. The paladin isn't present, in case you hadn't noticed." He points to the burly tusked man snoring on the ground, "I get the feeling the big one won't be hindered much by a few lengths of rope."
    Rennard is taken aback by Adrin's suggestion.

If we kill them in cold blood, we are no better than Lamn the duelist thinks

Before he said those same things aloud, the more rational part of the fencer's mind told him that such line of reasoning would not optimal in convincing the the sorcerer.

Instead, the magus replies in a pragmatic tone

If we were to kill them, we would be depriving Barvasi of trusted minions, causing him a permanent loss and incurring the risk of making an enemy of him before we obtain the information needed

Also, even though the Field-Marshall gave us a tacit permission to dispose of our enemies, I think she was looking for a peaceful resolution of this assignment.

Hence, I think it is better if we proceed and be done with this business without resorting to murder for as long as possible

Evidently thinking that would end the argument, the duelist continues walking towards the captain's cabin
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-09-25 at 03:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

"Very well," Aldrin says, "We don't have time to argue about this. Just be aware that you're fully responsible for any future harm caused by these men. If anything happens to us..." the sorcerer looks at his other companions. Despite having different ideologies, he genuinely did not want any harm to come to them; especially not the innocent Jensi who really didn't seem to understand the gravity of the situation. "Let's just say you don't want to be on my bad side. Let's go."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

17. - Top - End - #467

The party leaves the three thugs tied up and snoring on the deck, concealed amongst barrels of what seem to be strong alcohol, and proceeds onwards.

The aft cabin of the Eel's End bears a set of double doors, upon which has been painted a stylized spider, its carapace a lattice of swirling designs. Opening these, you enter into a large room, which would once have been the captain's cabin, but now has been converted into a bizarre throne room of sorts.

The walls are covered with a carved cobweb motif, which has been engraved into the original wood of the cabin. The corners, however, are thick with real webs, in which scuttle dozens of small spiders. The vermin seem content to stay in their webs, for none venture into the room itself.

At the opposite end of the room from the doors through which you've entered, a wooden dais supports a black throne, furnished with plush cushions. Below this, closer to the door, is a long oaken table with many chairs. At this table, a group of six men and women sit, all of them cloyingly eying the short, thin man with close-cropped black hair, blue eyes, and a warm smile, who sits upon the throne. He wears leather armour which he has accented with a steel spider-shaped shoulder plate.

As you enter, all the occupants of the room turn. The men and women at the table quickly look back towards the man on the throne deferentially. He raises an eyebrow nonchalantly, lifting a glass of wine to his lips. In a silky, languid voice, he speaks: "My, my, it seems I am an awful host: I don't even recognize my latest guests!" He grins warmly, and his sycophants break out into nervous laughter at his joke.

Meanwhile, on the dock (for Dastan)

As Dastan stands his watch, he does not escape the notice of the revellers. A downwards tug on the paladin's arm reveals an almost comical looking halfling, slightly pot-bellied, with a wide-brimmed, feathered hat, a coat that reaches almost to the ground, and a pinched look to his face. He smiles a snake-oil smile up at you, then bows dramatically, speaking in an overly-warm voice. "Good evening to you, my fine sir! It has not escaped my notice that you do not appear to be enjoying your stay at Eel's End, and I believe I can rectify this egregious problem with all haste!" He claps his hands together, rubbing them and flashing another smile. His voice becomes businesslike. "So what'll it be then, fine sir: I can procure you whatever you desire! Care for some shiver, or perhaps something a little stronger? Or a girl - got some fine ones here! Or a boy; I don't presume to judge..."
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-09-25 at 02:54 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

If decadence, arrogance and humor are the man's game, Atavian figured he'd play it in suit. Atavian poses a voice of confidence and bravado, a drastic turn from his usual craven self, but sometimes the further you shift from your identity, the easier the ruse. "Oh, I am sure your memory is not failing you, for we have never met before, your majesty," a smile cracks across his lips as he plays up the moniker. "We are here on business. We're in a bit of a rush, so we penned our appointment in for this hour. It is your web of knowledge that we are concerned with - so I hope your memory does remain intact. The name's Atavian," the halfling states with a bow.

For an instant, the disguised Tallox eyes the halfling with a hint of suspicion and confusion, but quickly lets such thoughts drift away as a toothy grin fills his shaded lips. His sharp fingers twitch as he eyes this 'King of Spiders' wondering whether his blood will be spilled tonight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Atavian Diplomacy: (1d20+4)[7] Edit: it seems the more care I put into my post, the worse the roll is... If I had posted "Atavian tells him what's what." I would have assuredly rolled a 20...
    Tallox Disguise: (1d20+5)[12]
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-09-25 at 03:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #469

Jensi

Jensi looks around the peculiar room curiously, offering small smiles to the sycophants who look at him. His mind wanders as Atavian speaks - it doesn't help that the halfling's diplomatic wording goes completely over his head - and he starts to absently trace his finger over one of the web-carvings.

"It's true," Jensi says, nodding as the summoner finishes. "We need to know something about a man, um, Amp-something. He did something bad and now we need to know so we can stop him from doing more bad stuff." It makes sense to Jensi. So, if you could tell us that would be really nice." The youth finishes his entreaty enthusiastically before remembering something else.

"Oh, also, I really like your spiders," he says. "Are you really their King? I heard from somebody really smart that spiders only have Queens..."

Spoiler
    Show
    So I'm not sure if this is a separate diplomacy roll from Atavian's, but if it's not this could be an aid another check.

Diplomacy: (1d20+10)[13] (add +1 if charming trait applies)
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

"Amprel," Aldrin adds. "And we're getting the information one way or another. We've gotten through your guards unscathed, and we aren't afraid to use force to get what we want from you."

Somehow, everything about this room makes the sorcerer absolutely nauseated. There was luxury mixed with filth, somehow seeming vaguely familiar to Aldrin. He brings an incantation to mind, and focuses his attention on Barvasi. If the King of Spiders makes this negotiation difficult, then all the worse for him.

"Or are you going to be the "hard way" sort of person?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate check? (1d20+9)[29]
    Preparing to cast Ear Piercing Scream if he makes any offensive movements

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

21. - Top - End - #471
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan turns his head slightly to fix his gaze on the rotund halfling while maintaining his vigil over the ship in his peripheral vision. "Thank you for the offer, good sir, but I require none of these things. I am simply here waiting for some friends, and I have no intention of participating in this... Party of yours." He forces an appologetic smile onto his face, realizing that the last thing his friends will need is a disturbance halfway through their mission. He gestures to his shield, which proudly bears a (somewhat faded) painted star-hilted sword. "As a friendly suggestion, in the future it may be prudent to avoid making such offers to those bearing this symbol. I know that servants of Iomedae are rare here in Korvosa, but many of my bretheren would see such a thing as an admission of wrongdoing and arrest you on the spot." His tone makes it entirely clear that he generally falls into that group.

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure whether Diplomacy or Intimidate fits better here; really I'm just trying to convince this guy to stop bothering Dastan and go back to whatever he was doing. I'll roll both, and you can decide which is more appropriate.

Diplomacy: (1d20+10)[17]
    Intimidate: (1d20+3)[18]

Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard observes the situation and decides that his companions would be better served with a set of alert eyes rather than an extra tongue in the conversation.

Keepng his hand close to his sheathed weapon while he scans the other "guests", the duelist readies himself to cast a Grease spell on Barvasi's entourage in the most efficient location he can discern. Should they show any signs of hostility, the magus plans to incapacitate as many as possible before they can bring harm to the party

Spoiler
    Show
    Preparing to cast Grease (DC 15) on as many of the 6 guests as possible. Rennard will aim for the most effective spot, but if two targets are equal, he will choose to target a man over a woman. He will only cast if there is a clear intent to bring harm to the party
    As far as I know, you can only ready a standard. But if you can do more than that, Rennard will also unsheathe his sword

23. - Top - End - #473

The King of Spiders' eyebrows rise almost to his hairline, and his smile becomes one of amusement as Atavian and Jensi speak. "Yes, yes, very self-important, Atavian Goodbarrel - yes, I know of your surname. And your jester is quite a lark," he chuckles with a an idle wave of his hand to towards Jensi. "I am not a nice man, jester, and I don't tend to do things because people ask me nicely."

To Jensi's question about spider queens and his legitimacy as monarch, he grins widely, seemingly pleased. "Evidently I am; watch!" With a wave of his hand, the spiders in their webs each stand on their four hind legs and begin to do something resembling a lively dance. "There you have it!"

The King of Spiders' smile vanishes when Aldrin speaks, but quickly reappears. "I admire this man," he says to his sycophants. "He knows what he wants, and while, yes, he could probably be more tactful about it, he doesn't waste my time."

"Now, we come to the troublesome part. Amprel has been a very naughty man, but his naughtiness have proven lucrative for me. He's been receiving letters, which I have 'obtained,' and he has been, shall we say, 're-obtaining' them for a contribution to my coffers. So it's quite a thing to ask if I would simply part with my letters! I value two things: wealth and amusement. I would be wealthier if you contributed to my coffers, and amused, if a brave soul elected to play one of my favourite games with one of the fine people at my table."

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

Games? What kind of madman is this?

Aldrin doesn't keep his eyes off of Barvasi, but responds, "To what type of game do you refer? We aren't exactly people that you want to toy with."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

25. - Top - End - #475

"Believe me, neither am I," Barvasi says, his voice for the first time taking on a hint of danger. Then he turns to one of his subordinates at the table below, a burly man with a scar running down one side of his face prominently. "Ghent, what is my favourite game called? I never can remember; it has such a brutish name."

"Knivesies, sir," Ghent grunts. "One knife in the middle of the table, players one either side of it. Right hands are tied together. Bag of coin's dumped on the table with the dagger. Aim is to get as many coins as possible to your side of the table without, y'know, dying. Game ends when all the coins are gone, or when one player can't play anymore. Generally that's from knife wounds."

"Remarkably articulate, Ghent. I won't force you to play, but it would make me ever so happy if you did."

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

Upon hearing the nature of the game, Rennard makes a quick assessment of his companions

Aldrin: Spellcaster. Has not shown martial training. Has managed to establish a rapport with Barvasi, thus putting him in danger could jeopardize this mission

Kalinda: Excellent marskman. Her dexterity might prove useful, but she has not displayed mastery of melee combat

Atavian: Spellcaster. Cunning. But despite his dexterity, his small size might play against him in a game that seems to require reach

Tallox: Strong and capable fighter. Probably most likely to withstand damage without trouble. But his bloodlust might escalate the game into a full battle

Jensi: Spellcaster. Very young and innocent, probably will not realize that this game could have deadly consequences until it was too late

His analysis complete, the fencer takes a step forwards and speaks up for the first time since he entered the room

If it is a duel you want, I will participate. My name is Rennard Balmont. Who will be my opponent?

A voice inside the magus' head whispers:En Garde

27. - Top - End - #477

Jensi

Oh, I like games!" Jensi says eagerly. "I'd like to play! Can I?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Somebody please stop Jensi!
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

28. - Top - End - #478

The King of Spiders claps merrily as Rennard steps forwards to play. "Bravo; I applaud your courage. Ghent has taken off several hands, I believe."

"And an eye, sir." Ghent smiles crookedly at Rennard, challenging the duelist.

Then Jensi pipes up. Ghent looks pleased; evidently, he'd rather deal with Jensi than Rennard. "Amusing, jester, but the game has already been called, and battle lines are drawn!"

Minutes later, the two men stand on opposite sides of the table, right hands strapped together with a leather cord. A dagger is plunged into the table, which is already riddled with the wounds of games past. Finally, twenty gold coins are poured onto the table.

Barvasi raises a hand imperiously. "Begin!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Here's how this'll work, Drothmal. You'll have two options for actions: you can either go for the knife, or go for the gold (in which case you'll pick up 1d8 gp). Either way, I'll decide what Ghent does, then roll initiative for both of you. Whoever wins initiative has his action happen first. From there we'll proceed in normal combat rounds, during which anything is permissible, so long as you remain at the table with your right hands lashed together, though things which make the game unexciting to watch may be frowned upon. The game ends when one party is either unconscious, dead, or has all the gold.

Dastan

The halfling looks rather offended, but also intimidated by your shield's emblem. "I meant no harm, sir. I'll leave you to your own pleasure, then, whatever that is in a place like this..." He scurries off.

A minute later, though, a pair of bouncers approach. Both are hobgoblins, with mottled skin, pointed fangs, and a mean glint in their eyes. "State your business in Eel's End," one of them barks suspiciously.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-09-27 at 10:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin shakes his head at the spectacle, but keeps a close watch on the man called Ghent. He mutters to Atavian, "Don't keep your eyes off Barvasi." and gets ready to cast a spell if anything is to go wrong.

Spoiler
    Show
    Preparing Ear Piercing Scream on Ghent if he makes a motion to stab Rennard.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian nods and watches this King of Spiders closely.

Tallox grins ear to ear with his toothy maw and regrets that he had not volunteered. This 'game' looks to be just his style. His claws curl with delight at the prospect.

Spoiler
    Show
    Atavian Perception: (1d20+2)[16]
    Tallox Perception: (1d20+5)[15]