New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

As soon as the King of Spiders initiated the duel. Rennard's mind became completely blank: He was no more worried than if he had been at the Academy going through his usual bouts

Quick as lightning, the fencer's hand moves towards the knife, aggression in his movements.

At the last second, the duelist reveals this move to be a feint, changing directions and snatching as many of the gold coins as he is able

Coins - (1d8)[4]

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lightning quick, the two men's hands dart out. Ghent too goes for the knife, his eye wide and focused, every muscle straining to beat Rennard to the weapon. He grabs the hilt as the duelist diverts to scoop up a few coins from the table, throwing them back to his side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Round 2...

Drothmal, you can do as much or as little if-than-ing as you'd like to speed this up.

All around the contestants, Barvasi's sycophants have clustered, jeering as Rennard's hand diverts from the dagger.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard moves as quickly as he can to snatch a second set of coins, trying to use his fencing knowledge to dodge the attacks that are about to come

Coins - (1d8)[3]

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe I should give the man more credit. He's willing to risk several stab wounds just to go along with this plan... perhaps I shouldn't interfere unless he absolutely needs the help.

Deciding not to interrupt the "game," Aldrin instead turns his eyes toward Barvasi, trying to make sure he doesn't attempt to escape the building, or try to interfere with the game himself.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

5. - Top - End - #485

Ghent lunges forwards with the dagger, simultaneously yanking his arm back towards his body to haul Rennard into place. Rennard, however, is too fast for him, dodging backwards as best he can. The knife strikes only thin air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Round 3...

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

The magus reaches for another clump of coins, knowing that each time he is offering openings to his armed opponent

coins - (1d8)[1]

7. - Top - End - #487

Ghent laughs as Rennard's hand slips, only managing to retreat back with a single coin in his possession. The thug lunges viciously with the dagger, seeming confident in his chances as the blade cuts into the duelist's arm.

Spoiler
    Show
    8 damage to Rennard.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard feels the pain running through his arm, but he refuses to acknowledge it

The magus reaches for another set of coins

coins - (1d8)[5]

HP=12/20
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-09-28 at 08:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tallox removes his mask behind Rennard. His grin-of-a-hundred-teeth shimmering in the torchlight. "This looks FUN!" he proclaims, as his long, sharp-clawed hand curls into a fist, "can three play?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20)[11] to cause shaken condition.

DC: 10+Ghent's HD+Ghent's wis mod

Edit: here's hoping for low wisdom! (Or circumstance bonuses...)
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-09-28 at 10:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jensi

Jensi winces sympathetically as Ghent's blade cuts deep into Rennard's arm, and reflexively moves forward, hard outstretched. The youth freezes as he remembers that he isn't allowed to help. He scurries backwards to where Aldrin and Atavian stand. "What kind of game is this," he whispers, disturbed. "What kind of people think this is fun?"
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

"Bad people," Aldrin answers evenly, keeping his gaze on Barvasi. "I have no idea why Rennard thought this was good idea, but be ready if things go wrong, Jensi."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian looks at his... monster... and replies to the youth in a whisper, "well, Ghent seems to be enjoying himself and uh... apparently Tallox," the concern evident in his voice.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan observes the approaching brutes from the corner of his eye, then turns to face them when they're clearly coming to him. While the halfling was at most a minor distraction, these two might actually be able to impede his mission. At their terse words, he holds up his hands. "I am merely here to wait for my companions, sirs. They are here for a meeting with the King of Spiders, I believe. I will cause you no trouble so long as you leave me be, nor will I interfere with your... Clients." Once again he forces an insincere smile to his face.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy roll, trying to get them to back off:
    (1d20+10)[22]
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

14. - Top - End - #494

Ghent glances sideways at Tallox out of the corner of his eye as the eidolon speaks. He steadies himself, but you can see sweat beading on his brow.

But, despite any trepidation he might be feeling, the thug moves aggressively towards Rennard. He jerks the leather strap holding the two together, attempting to bring the duelist to him. Then, suddenly, he throws the strap around Rennard's arm, trying to hold him in position by tightening it, but his attempt meets only empty air as Rennard's reflexes save him.

Spoiler
    Show
    In case that's unclear, Ghent failed a grapple check.

On the docks, the two hobgoblins look at each other, then one of them seems to reach a decision. "Right, stay here if you'd like, but don't annoy any more of the patrons. And don't be here in an hour; we'll have to kick you out. You see, some people who go in to see the King don't come out. Not in an hour. Not ever. So you can't wait around for long."

Then they march off, giving you a last, authoritative look over.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard barely dodges the thug's attempt to restrain him and realizes that his time is running short

Clear your mind, and let your training take over he thinks to himself, remembering his mentor's teachings on fencing

The duelist once again goes for the coins

coins - (1d8)[4]

16. - Top - End - #496

Ghent growls, his growing frustration becoming clear. He feigns a jab at Rennard, then throws the knife to the table. His now-free arm lunges forwards, scooping into the duelist's accumulated pile. Clearly, he has realized just how close he is to losing. He comes away with five coins.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard is surprised at his opponent's change of tactics. Nonetheless, the fencer sticks to his previous plan and moves forwards to take at many of the remaining coins as possible

coins - (1d8)[6]

Spoiler
    Show
    Disclaimer: my understanding is that the coins that Ghent stole from me were the ones I had picked up. If I understood the rules correctly, this means that Rennard must just pick the last 3 coins from the table to win (no coins left on the table and Rennard will have 15/20).

EDIT: With the result of 6, Rennard either just finished the game or, if he has to collect all 20, he is at 18/20
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-09-30 at 02:13 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498

The King of Spiders raises his hand, calling a halt to the game. "Ghent, Ghent, Ghent," he clucks, overwrought disappointment dripping from his every word; "I am shocked. And you had the knife too!"

He turns his attention to the victors, as Ghent and Rennard are untied. "I commend your skills. Perhaps some of you would make excellent criminals. If you ever decide that you agree with my assessment, I am among the most welcoming of men."

"But you have done as I've asked, and let none say that the King of Spiders is not magnanimous!"
    He draws a thin letter from a conceal pocket within the breast of his armour, stands, and delivers it to Rennard. "It has so many fascinating little morsels for you to digest. Though I do recommend keeping it away from children and other oh-so-corruptible souls, as it is truly quite scandalous! Imagine my utter shock at what these Chelish nobles manage to devise."

Barvasi returns to his throne with a hearty chuckle, pleased with some thought he has just had. "I believe I will garner a great deal of amusement from selling back to our friend the Ambassador this letter which I no longer possess, though I suspect he will not share my humour on the subject. Now, have we more business?"

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard is disgusted at Barvasi's suggestion.

I would never soil my honor by working for someone such as him the duelist thinks

Still, the rational part of the fencer's mind takes control and he maintains a detached expression. The mission had been accomplished, and that was good enough for Rennard

Without a word, the duelist receives the envelope from the King of Spiders and turns around, heading towards Aldrin and passing the envelope to him. It was the sorcerer who had been able to secure this information: it was only right that he should have it

Despite his wounds, the fencer returns to his bodyguard-like stance and let's the others do the talking

20. - Top - End - #500

Jensi

"Here," Jensi says as soon as the game ends. He doesn't even bother - indeed, purposely avoids - looking at Barvasi as he speaks. "I can fix that for you," he says. The youth's hand glows white momentarily as he places it tenderly on Rennard's wound. "Thank you," he says quietly. "I'm, umm, I'm glad it wasn't me who played that game."

Spoiler
    Show
    CLR on Rennard. If one doesn't heal him to full health, I'll use a second.
    Cure Light Wounds 1: (1d8+2)[8]
    Cure Light Wounds 2: (only if necessary) (1d8+2)[4]
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard's wound mends itself together thanks to the oracle's magic.

The fencer continues looking at the King of Spiders and his followers, his right hand ready to snatch his rapier. Making use of his peripheral vision, the magus lefts his left hand to where Jensi's shoulder is

Thank you, Jensi. And no need to thank me, I was just the most logical option for it. the duelist explains. He pauses for a second, and then he adds (in a mumbled fashion) I am glad you are safe

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin shrugs and takes the offered letter, and turns away from the self-proclaimed King of Spiders. "We're done here."

Assuming they are able to exit without any further complications, the sorcerer turns around, hoping never to see that place again. When they finally exit Barvasi's lair, Aldrin doesn't even bother to greet Dastan before turning to Rennard and glaring at him.

"What in the Nine Hells did you think you were doing!?" he bursts out angrily. "Do you know what kind of risk you put yourself... no, the whole group at? We aren't so lowly that we have to humiliate ourselves as Crimelord's playthings to get anything accomplished!"
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-10-01 at 02:11 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

I was just following the most logical course of action to secure the information without placing the rest of the group at risk replies the fencer in a pragmatic tone

I accomplished the task we had set ourselves to do while preventing the rest of the group from being hurt the duelist gives a quick glance in Jensi's direction

... and avoiding a possible escalation of a conflict we might not be yet prepared to face This time, the magus' eyes dart towards Tallox

Also, this method avoided using the lawfully obtained money from the city to fuel further criminal enterprises by Barvasi.

On the other hand, we were only risking my physical integrity
    the last comment indicates that the fencer might not have the highest regard for his own self preservation in his cost-benefit analysis

Fully looking at Aldrin in the eye, Rennard continues

Do you disagree with the logic of my arguments?
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-10-01 at 02:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Troll in the Playground

"I disagree because you're aren't considering the damn consequences of these actions. What if you lost the game? What if you sustained a serious injury? What if the whole point of that game was to pre-emptively injure you so a resulting battle would be easier on his part? What if this envelope has nothing of value whatsoever in it?"

He takes a deep breath before calming down enough to continue in a far more neutral tone, "I suppose it's not important at the moment, since we (hopefully) have what we came for. Just take a moment to think next time before you agree to play a knife-game with a criminal. I don't even know why you are so opposed to the situation escalating to combat anyway. We could have not only retrieved the information, but cleaned up some of the filth infesting this city at the same time."
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-10-01 at 03:00 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing Aldrin abandon the discussion of the methods to secure the information, Rennard decides to do the same

I agree that we should take care of Barvasi, but we should do so when we are ready for it and when the fate of the city does not depend on information he possesses. After that, I will gladly help in any efforts to bring his activities to an end

Assuming that the conversation is over (or at least postponed), the fencer addresses all the group

Should we go back to the Field-Marshal and see if this was the information that she was looking for? Or should we discuss the matter directly with ambassador Amprel so that Kroft's intervention is minimized?

26. - Top - End - #506

Jensi

"I don't think we should fight!" Jensi chimes in, his voice still a little strained from the earlier ordeals, but more or less back to his usual cheeriness now that the group is off the Eel's End. "We're all okay, and we have what we need. I thought Rennard was very brave. But I think," Jensi says, his tone turning mischievous, "that Aldrin's shouting means that he likes us!" The oracle giggles.

"Can I read the letters before we go back to Cressida, to make sure they're real. Also, what kinds of things do Chelish nobles devise?"
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2011-10-01 at 03:30 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan raises his hand in greeting as his allies file down off the ship, but quietly lowers it again as the heated argument begins between Aldrin and Rennard. His gaze tracks back and forth as they make their points, until finally they seem to be finished. "I suppose it's best if I don't ask for more information on what happened in there?" He asks, with the slightest trace of a sardonic smile. "I suggest that we read this letter first, before deciding how to act on it. We'll need to know just what sort of proof we have before we decide how to act on it. I also wouldn't be opposed to returning here at a later date, preferably with a squad of Watchmen in tow to collect the criminals nested here... I cannot understand why they simply allow dens of misery and vice to exist like this."

28. - Top - End - #508

Anyone who reads the letter:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The letter appears to be from a Chelish countess who does not bear Amprel's surname. With little room for interpretation, it makes clear a past history of rather scandalous rendezvous, and a continued desire for more of the same. It is immediately clear that this information getting back to Chelish high society - the countess' husband, for example - would result in disgrace and dismissal from office for the ambassador.

29. - Top - End - #509

Jensi

"I guess we should bring this back to Cressida," Jensi says, his head cocked to one side, still staring at the letter, eyes wide.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

After reading through the letter, Dastan shrugs in response to Jensi. "I'm not certain. Cressida sent us after proof of the Ambassador's fiscal wrongdoings; this is merely proof of an unwise affair. Certainly, the Lady Marshal could use it to see him dishonoured and dismissed, but that was not the goal of this mission." He frowns, thinking over the situation, then continues. "Besides, as much as I hate to admit it, it may be far more useful in the long run to keep Amprel in his current position and use this letter as leverage to prevent any further attempts at sabotage. Blackmail may be unpleasant, but knowing Cheliax the next ambassador would be twice as malevolent and far more competent..."