New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

Jensi

"If this is a graveyard, won't it be, well, full of bodies?" Jensi asks matter-of-factly, before suddenly realizing the implications: that he would be going to a place full of bodies. His face falls dramatically. "Won't it be hard to find one?"
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2011-10-09 at 01:50 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

2. - Top - End - #542
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard kept quiet during both the meeting with the Queen and the discussion with the Shoanti ambassador, deciding that this was a better time for observation than for words (even more so since his companions were much better suited for that)

The fencer remembered Zellara's reading

"This is the future. She is a woman of great power, who will shape the events to come." had spoken the witch upon revealing the card of the Courtesan .

The Magus' arcane training had taught him that divination spells could be powerful tools,revealing glimpses of events yet to come. At first, he had interpreted the words as a warning, but now the duelist was no longer sure

The Queen is indeed a woman of great power, and her ruling might shape Korvosa for many years. There was nothing in the prophecy that marked her as a threatthe analytical part of his brain reminded him

Besides the fencer's mind continued with the same cold logic basing judgment in vague divinations is not rational. She seems sincere in her mourning, she has accepted the letter from the representatives and she has rewarded us for our services. Even if she was the one with the most to gain, there is no proof that she was involved with her husband's murder

And the city cannot afford an all out war with the Shoanti

With those sobering thoughts, Rennard follows Kroft and waits for her explanation

After Jensi's question is answered, the magus adds a question of his own

Field-Marshall, what do you expect the timeframe of this mission to be? We could go as soon as tonight, but that would be at the risk of not being optimally prepared for our excursion...

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kroft nods dourly at Jensi. "We have slightly more to go on. We caught the culprits and interrogated them: they told us that the body had been dumped into the Dead Warrens, but they gave us a more specific location. There's a mausoleum in the Grey that's been abandoned for some time. It leads into the series of catacombs into which the body was dumped." Of course," she grumbles, "the Shoanti won't be bloody content with our apprehension of the killers, so here we are. I've arranged to have the priests of Pharasma meet you at the entrance to the Grey and lead you to the tomb in question. That should narrow your search."

To Rennard, the Field Marshal replies: "Thousand-Bones is a patient old bastard, I'll give him that. It shouldn't matter if you go tonight, or tomorrow, or maybe the next day, so long as you go before decomposition sets in." She laughs mirthlessly.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you, Field Marshal. replies the fencer in a neutral tone (probably he didn't understand the reason Kroft was laughing or the correct interpretation of her tone) We will prepare first thing in the morning and then head to the Grey. Is there anyone we should ask for when we meet with the priests of Pharasma?

Unless anyone has further questions for Kroft, Rennard will just patiently wait until Aldrin rejoins the group, at which point he will suggest to go back to the Citadel and rest so the party can go to the Grey early next morning

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin exhales deeply, and looks into the Queen's bright blue eyes, so very different from his dull red ones. "Guilty? What do you mean, they only-"

A tall man with greying hair and an imperious stance enters the door into the opulent foyer, with two ragged men following behind him in terror. Aldrin, taking a look up from his book on Avernus geography, asks his father who they were.

"It is of no importance, as you will not see them again. Do not interrupt your studies."

The boy watches as his father walks up the stairs with the two men, and true to Doren's word, Aldrin never saw them again.

~

Aldrin is woken from his sleep as he hears what sounds like weak screams. He rushes downstairs where he sees his sisters staring at a cat whose front left leg is replaced by a scaled red limb, ending with black claws.

"What's going on," Aldrin asks curiously.

"It's an experiment," Alyssa responds, writing a note down in her spellbook.

"Now we're just trying to find away to do this with other humans," Evette adds, frowning.

The sorcerer blinks twice, and diverts his gaze, now staring on the floor.

"They... they were bad people, weren't they?"

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

6. - Top - End - #546

Aldrin
    Ileosa seems hesitant, as though unsure whether you truly want to know the answer to your question.

Gently, she speaks: "Aldrin... They are charged with treason... From what I have been told, they were studying... unnatural things... They believed that they could take over the city... I am sorry, Aldrin, but the Hellknights think they were... there is no easy way to say this... They believed that your family was mad utterly insane."

She removes her hand from yours slowly, and offers you another sympathetic smile. "You will need some time to think on this, I know. Your mission might serve you well as a distraction, and perhaps catharsis. And Aldrin, you have my thanks for doing your utmost to help this city, and me. I will not forget your help."

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin nods shakily, and bows to the Queen before returning to the council chambers, unable to think of any way to respond. All he could to right now is keep himself busy with the task at hand.

Once inside, he stares at his companions and the Field Marshall and asks in a raspy voice, "Are we ready to leave?"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

8. - Top - End - #548

The party goes about their preparations for their coming task. Dastan is fitted with a masterful suit of plate armour, and Jensi sets about employing his whimsical talents in the creation of several fantastical items.

--------------------

The day is cloudy, with only small breaks in the omnipresent greyness when beams of light pierce through the dull sky. A strong wind blows over the city, sending the occasional hat flying from the head of a passer-by.

In Korvosa's expansive cemetery, the Grey District, there are few passers-by, so instead gusts of cold air rattle the leaves on the trees, and make the iron gates separating the different wards squeak.

The Grey is a melancholy place. It is hilly, which conceals its vast area with rises and slopes, upon which rest rows of tombstones and the occasional larger monument. The Cathedral of Pharasma sits proudly at the entrance to the district, a solemn warden of the dead. At its doors, a silver-haired man meets you, nodding in recognition. His robes are simple wool, black and hooded. Pharasma's spiral hangs on a pendant across his chest. "Our Lady greets you," he intones. "Follow; I will take you to your task."

-------------------
    After a fifteen minute journey across the cobbled pathways of the graveyard, the priest gestures towards a mausoleum. It it not grand by any measure - it is, after all, where the poor are buried - but instead is a functional, squat building built into the side of a hill. Its double doors are engraved with the symbol of Pharasma, inside of which sits a lock. Your guide retrieves a key, and a moment later an audible click is heard. The priest nods sombrely. "Pharasma's blessings upon you all. If you have questions before you enter, I will answer as best I can."

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

My understanding is that your church only sends large delegations of soldiers whenever they venture inside of here. Why is that? asks Rennard, who proceeds by grilling the priest for any piece of useful information about what the party is to face with his usual impassive tone

Do you know of any dangers that we might face?

Are there traps set against grave-robbers?

Are there any light sources?

Any general ideas of the underground structure?

Signs of unusual creatures?

10. - Top - End - #550

"This region of the Grey is among the most dangerous. Those who come to rest here are amongst society's least fortunate. Many of their spirits seek recompense for their misery in life, and many more cannot rest from the hatred in their souls. Thus in our efforts to put them to rest, we must tread heavily, and in great numbers."

"There are no traps here: no grave-robbers would venture here, for the dead have nothing of value. As for those of yet more vile purpose - necromancers - there are more readily accessible bodies, so traps become unnecessary."

The priest continues answering, his voice calm, even monotonic. "All the tombs are lit by everburning torches, which we replace with each patrol."

"The mausoleum consists first of an entry chamber. It contains six sarcophagi, though no bodies are interned within. These sarcophagi are representative of the ceremonial guardians of the dead; be respectful towards them."

"After this, you will have two choices: the main interment chamber, which contains the bodies of the dead. It pains me to tell that our numbers have so diminished that the dead are no longer interred. Instead, the gravediggers deposit the bodies into this chamber through a hole bored down from the surface. Our patrol will then bless the bodies whilst on patrol."

"The other choice leads into the Warrens proper: it is a network of tunnels in which the Shoanti tribes used to bury their dead. We keep our vigil over all spirits, and so we maintain these tunnels as well. In times past, we maintained a guard post in the Warrens, but we no longer have the numbers to occupy it."

He finishes speaking. "Now, I offer you my prayers, and my wishes for your success."

Spoiler
    Show
    If no one has any more questions, I'll update in a little bit with you entering.

----------------
    "Be on your guard," the old priest warns; "it has been several months since anyone has entered."

The party proceeds into the mausoleum. The doors creak as you enter, and dull daylight floods into the dusty darkness...

The entrance chamber is as the priest had described: six sarcophagi sit like silent sentinels, each with the engraved image of a resting knight upon the top. A single everburning flame is suspended from the ceiling by a rusty chain, casting a dim, shadowy light of rough-hewn bricks and and two pairs of solid doors, one to your left, and the other on the opposite side of the room.

From behind the furthest of the sarcophagi comes the sound of something stirring to life. An unearthly, hollow growl pierces the air, and the shadow of a grotesque dog proceeds its owner into plain sight.

The creature is a fierce dog, as large as a man, which appears to have been sewn together from ragged chunks of other, long-dead creatures. Its fangs are bared.

Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1... You're up first.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

D= dog described above.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-10-09 at 08:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #551

Jensi

Jensi squeaks with surprise as the bizarre dog comes into view. "What is that? I've never seen a dog that looked like that before..." As if in answer to his question, a misty white light seems to emanate from his holy symbol.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jensi will cast detect undead. It's a 60 foot cone, which he'll cast right in front of himself, starting in Dastan's square. It should go through the door on the other side of the room, though probably not the walls.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

12. - Top - End - #552

Spoiler
    Show
    The creature is detecting as undead. There are no other undead in range.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone, be prepared. If this creature makes a move at us, I will try to make it fall with one of my spells. says the fencer while he draws Reve from its sheathe.

As he levels the blade against the foe, the magus uses his left hand to trace arcane glyphs while he intones the words of his spell, leaving all but the last syllable and the last gesture out, ready to be released should the enemy attack the party

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ready Action: If the creature starts moving towards the party, Rennard will cast a cast Grease spell in its path (centered so it has to go through another square of the spell even if it makes the save on the first)

Grease Save: Ref, (DC 15)
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-10-11 at 01:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Unsure of what creature they're facing, Aldrin decides to use a conventional spell that wouldn't depend on it being living or dead. He pulls out the obsidian wand that the group had recovered from Lamm, and sends out a bolt of silvery force toward the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile Wand

(1d4+1)[4]

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing the large, doglike and clearly dead figure step from the shadows, Dastan has no intention of being cautious; the priests of Pharasma would never employ such an abomination as a guardian. His voice is filled with disgust as he states, "It is an abomination, fit only for destruction." The Paladin sprints into action, drawing his sword as he moves, and charges at the creature with his shield ready. He swings his blade with all the force he can muster, hoping to destroy it before it can threaten the others or retreat.

Spoiler
    Show

Making a Charge attack as a full round action and using Power Attack. I probably would have already been wearing my shield, and I can draw my sword as part of the charge. Your description mentioned that it was made of stitched together dead things, which in my book can really only mean "thing that Paladins are meant to destroy", so I'm being a little bit reckless in my attack here while the others hang back and play it safe.

... I kind of wish I had Knowledge: Religion right now. I have no idea how much of a threat this thing is.

Attack Roll: (1d20+8)[17]
    Longsword Damage: (1d8+5)[8]

Combat summary:
    HP: 32/32
    AC 19, FF19, Touch 8
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +9

Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

16. - Top - End - #556

Aldrin launches his missile from Gaedren's slender wand. It strikes the undead hound square on its jaw. The monster growls and charges forwards, right into the grease Rennard has conjured. It slips and crashes to the ground. Dastan charges forwards, barely keeping his feet on the slippery ground. His sword swings downwards onto the prone dog, cutting deep into its rotting flesh. Atavian's crossbow bolt goes wide, as Tallox follows Dastan into battle. The ground proves to much for the eidolon's aggressive movement, and it drops unceremoniously to the ground.

Round 2

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't have access to my map now, so I'll describe what's happened and update latter. The dog has moved one square up, then slipped on the grease. Tallox has moved one square down, then slipped on the grease. Dastan is now in melee with the dog. The grease extends from the row of four squares between the top two sarcophagi, down to the row of four squares in front of where the dog is currently positioned on the Round 1 map.
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan immediately moves to take advantage of the creature's fumble on the slick stone floor and aims a vicious slash at its rotten head. I will find whoever created this... Thing. Such blasphemy cannot stand.

Spoiler
    Show

No need to move at all; standing in the Grease has no negative effects as long as I don't try to move. Using a Standard Action attack with Power Attack.

Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[7] (Against its AC minus four, from being Prone)
    Damage: (1d8+5)[9]

Edit: Bah, natural 1. Why, dice roller? Why have you forsaken me?

Summary:
    HP: 32/32
    AC 19, FF19, Touch 8
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +9

Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2011-10-11 at 11:32 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing Tallox fall to the spell that he had prepared for the enemy, Rennard makes a note to himself

It is paramount that we discuss battle strategies after this fight. This miscomunication could prove fatal in the future

Adjusting his strategy to the present conditions, the fencer dashes around the area of effect and positions himself in a flanking position with respect to the paladin.

As he prepares himself to strike, a sudden inspiration hits the magus. Instead of channeling all his arcane energy into the blade, he decides to release only a burst of power at the moment of the strike, increasing the effectiveness of his rapier while minimizing the strain in his powers

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Rennard moves around the area of the Grease spell to get to flanking position with Dastan
    Swift: Arcane Strike (+1 to damage)
    Standard
    Attack - (1d20+10)[17] (counts flanking, against prone)
    Damage - (1d6+3)[7]

Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP=28/28
    AC=18, Touch 14, FF 14
    Arcane pool=7/7
    Fort=+4, Ref=+5, Will=+2
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-10-11 at 01:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

Adrin sighs at the misplaced spell, as it somehow seems so... typical of the group's behavior. But it appears as if the group has this well under control, so rather than use his more limited reserves of power, he utilizes the obsidian wand again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic missile.

(1d4+1)[2] damage.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

20. - Top - End - #560

Jensi

The young oracle almost giggles as the frightful dog and outsider tumble to the floor. Almost. It's still a deadly battle, and Jensi isn't taking any chances with his allies' lives. He murmurs a short prayer. "Shelyn, help us to end this, um..." - he searches momentarily for the word - "abomination."

Spoiler
    Show
    Vigor on Rennard. +1 to damage if he hits.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

21. - Top - End - #561

Dastan's swings too far wide, and it clangs against the stone floor. As the undead dog rises, however, his follow-up cuts deep into mortified flesh.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dastan's AoO damage: (1d8+5)[12]

Rennard moves deftly around the effects of his earlier spell. Normally, to position himself opposite Dastan, he would have had to open himself up to the dog's counterattack, but as it lies on the floor, he is able to do so freely. He then lunges forwards, his blade flashing with magical energy and further enhanced by Jensi's spell. As the beast jerks to its feet, his second thrust also strikes true.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rennard's AoO damage: (1d6+3)[7]

Aldrin's wand blasts another shimmering silver bolt towards the monstrosity. It slams into the beast's stitched flank with a thud.

Atavian fires another crossbow bolt, but in the chaos of the melee, it hits only the floor, splashing in the grease. Tallox, meanwhile, rises, lunging forwards with his maw. He sinks his teeth twice into the dog - once as it lies prone, and a second time as it rises. He ignores the fact that he has torn off a piece of undead flesh, seemingly unperturbed by this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tallox damage (normal attack +AoO): (2d6+8)[12]

Then, after being assaulted, the rotting dog rises, it's stitches stretching as its muscles tense underneath. It begins to lunge wildly, but is brought down by the assorted attacks upon its body. Silently, it falls.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-10-11 at 06:58 PM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Troll in the Playground

As the undead best falls to the ground, Rennard reaches into one of the inner pockets of his clothes and retrieves a dark-crimson colored cloth.

Wait for a few moments before you move for the Grease spell to dissipate the magus warns his companions. Silently, the fencer cleans his blade from the abomination's blood

Once he is satisfied with his work, the duelist will address the party once again

There are two points to discuss.

The first one is strategy. It would seem that our battle tactics lack coordination. I will be more specific with the abilities of my spells in the future. From now on, please warn me if any of you is about to charge directly into the enemy

Second, and this is more of an immediate concern, is which path to take: The priest told us that, from here, we could either go to the interment chamber and proceed our explorations through the hole in it. Or we could head straight into the Warrens

Since we are looking for a corpse that was disposed during the riots, I believe the most logical path to take is through the interment chamber. Does anyone disagree with that plan of action?
    this last part is delivered in a tone somewhere between boredom at explaining what seems obvious and a challenge to anyone that disagrees with the logic of the fencer's though process.
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-10-12 at 11:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

Despite previously being vocal in his opinions against Rennard, Aldrin quietly replies, "Sure, fine. Let's just get this over with."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

24. - Top - End - #564

Jensi

"Strategy?" Jensi says, perplexed. "But we won, right? Doesn't that mean that we had a really good strategy?" he asks as he moves over to Dastan, laying a hand on the paladin to mend his wounds.

"I think we should go into the Warrens," Jensi says firmly. "Rabbits and badgers and things live in warrens, so it's probably safer than the other path."

Spoiler
    Show
    CLW: (1d8+3)[5]
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Falling in the slime made Tallox... angry. He glares at the magus speaking of "strategy." Just when he is about the maul the human, Jensi interrupts. As the monster likes the little healing one, he opts to wait for him to finish speaking before eating Rennard's face.

Fortunately, the delay seemed to have calmed his ire a bit. Instead he speaks, but with a lot of hostility, "discuss strategy? How about you mortals don't spew sludge at my feet? Maybe, then I won't get confused and forget who I'm not supposed to attack."

"No, Tallox!" Atavian screams.

"It's hard to remember. If I bump my head next time I fall, who knows what I might forget. Besides I thought you things keep those things as pets," he motions to the party and the, now deader, undead dog respectively.

After a moment of silence, he roars angrily at Rennard, "you stupid mortal! Of course I'm going to approach the enemy! Why would I need to tell you that??? What else would I do - politely ask for it to die from a furlong away??? GRAAAA!" The beyonder starts to storm off, but instead stops and slashes his claws through the corpse of the dog - scattering its parts.

"He's bluffing. He wouldn't really," Atavian whispers to Rennard.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-10-12 at 12:32 AM.

26. - Top - End - #566

The doors to the interment chamber creak open, their hinges rusted and seemingly ancient. A flickering blue light greets you as you enter. It is cast from a simple alter which sits in the centre of the room, on which sits a dusty, candle, it's flame a whitish blue. It casts long shadows across the room, illuminating tall pillars that stretch up to a domed ceiling. In the ceiling, a faint light shines through from the surface through a circular hole.

Below this hole, are several piles of corpses in various states of decay. The older ones seem to have been given some dignity, lain out straight, with arms folded over chests, but the newer ones give off a putrid stench and lie in chaotic heaps.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Well, if he was dropped in here recently, then he'll probably be toward the top," Atavian says as he loads his crossbow. He then adds with a hint of trepidation, whispering so only his allies can hear, "although, that dog was stitched together, suggesting that someone made it. I think we might want to watch out for more undead... and the living."

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard withstood the Eidolon's rebuke silently and merely nodded at Atavian's assurances that the beyonder would not turn on him. In his mind, the fencer made a mental note

Tallox is the type that lunges first and feints later. Planning ahead of time seems to be counter-productive, so the best immediate course of action will be to avoid using spells around his targets. Atavian seems to hold some sway in the beyonder's tactics: Once we are done with this mission, the highest possibility of a coordinated tactic will come from approaching the halfling.

After entering the interment chamber and hearing the summoner's words, Rennard nods

Atavian speaks true. We should divide our efforts and post guards while the rest of the party searches through the bodies.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

"If you insist," Aldrin responds, looking over the group. "Jensi should keep guard; I get the feeling he doesn't wish to be waist-deep in bloated dead bodies. Dastan, if you can see in the dark, you should come down to help search."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tallox looked around and says, "it's dark in here? Looks the same as outside to me..." He marches into the crypt trying to find a body that matches the description the queen gave.