New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

Jensi

Jensi looks like he is going to cry when Zellara talks about her son's death. He wants to get up and give her a hug, but decides against it, instead settling for a whispered "I'm so sorry" instead.

"Zellara," Jensi asks, his curiosity piqued by Atavian's question. "What do the rest of our cards mean?" Despite his upbringing, the youth could never remember all of the Harrow cards. He had never payed enough attention.
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2011-06-30 at 07:18 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalinda
    The young woman pushes off the door frame and stands up straight.

"We will avenge your son and my father."

She reaches into her coat pocket and draws out The Cyclone. Taking a few steps further into the room, she offers the card back to the old crone.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

"And all the others, I'm sure."

Zellara accepts her card, looking at its face almost fondly. "The Cyclone... Calamity, life-shattering events, all malevolently brought about." She looks up at Kalinda, peering at her. "In one moment your life collapsed all around you... And now... Here you are."

To Jensi, she says, "as for the others... Let me see... "

"The Tyrant is the male - king, lover, father, brother - whose rule dominates those he touches..."

"The Mute Hag invokes dark pacts, poisoned secrets, betrayal..."

"The Crows steal something precious; they are foul murder, disappearance, loss..."

"And your own Demon's Lantern casts light - ironic, no? - on a hidden lie that eats you up until there's nothing left."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

As he stares at the old card, Aldrin suspects that Zellara does not have any duplicate Harrowing decks. She likely uses the same deck as she always has, the cards becoming worse for wear after each year.

Aldrin walks up to the batty old woman, and offers his card to her as well, "No deck is complete without the Hag. Here you are." When she takes the Muted Hag, Aldrin smiles and adds, "Gaedren will die tonight, Zellara. Painfully, if I have anything to say about it."

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan:
    Dastan's response to Aldrin is both blunt and simple. "Yes." He looks like he might be about to say more, but stops when Rennard begins his own introduction.

Dastan waits silently through the debate, growing more and more concerned with his new comrades as time goes on. He had suspected that these people had been badly wronged by Lamm's actions, but had not anticipated the bloodlust that seems to have overtaken them. It is... Wrong, to plan a death in cold blood like this, I think, no matter how heinous the crimes leading up to it may be. He frowns again, wondering if he should be putting a stop to this, when something catches his attention and he asks his own question, "You say that he will be accompanied by orphans? Does that mean that the children Lamm has taken will be present at this fishery?" He stares intently at Zellara, waiting on her response.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

6. - Top - End - #36

Zellara turns to Dastan, fixing him in her gaze. "Some... Perhaps. I do not pretend to know the mind of Gaedren Lamm, and my magic can only tell so much... As I have said, I listen to the city; sometimes it speaks to me, and sometimes it does not. I have seen children go in, and sometimes come out, but whether they will be there, I do not know."

She clasps her bony hands together. "But perhaps we can sate your curiosity, Dastan Grayson... Before you go, I will see what the cards will tell..."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan:
    Dastan reaches into his pouch and removes the Harrow card he received earlier, then hands it gingerly to the old woman. "You will need this, then. If they are there..." He doesn't complete the thought out loud. "Please, tell me what you can. Freeing those children is at least as important as bringing Lamm to justice." He takes a few steps away from the old woman, settling against the nearest wall, and does his best to be patient as he waits for the answer.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

One question plagued Atavian's mind more than any other, so he finally mustered the courage to ask it: "why has it taken fifty years to orchestrate this? Lamm is now an old man - countless have suffered at his cruel hands. In a decade or so, he will probably die anyway. Why have you let that monster live this long?!" Atavian was clearly upset. His thoughts well on the notion that if she had done this a few years ago, he would never have suffered in the way he had this past year.

9. - Top - End - #39

Jensi

"Would you do a reading for us?" Jensi asks eagerly, leaning across the table to get a better view of the hopefully-imminent performance. "That would be wonderful!"

"Oh!" Jensi exclaims happily, an idea coming to him. "I'll ask Shelyn what she thinks about this too!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Jensi will use his Prophetic Visionary feat (UM 155) to ask Shelyn whether going to the fishery is a good idea, unless we're so pressed for time that the 10 minutes that takes will be too much.

10. - Top - End - #40

"My dear boy," Zellara replies to Atavian, "Lamm has escaped the long reach of the law for fifty years... To say nothing of the yet longer reach of the Hellknights. I could do nothing, for I was powerless to find him - Zellara is no great spy, nor, as I have found out, a great warrior - until the cards told me of him at last."

She notes any skeptical looks, meeting them with another laugh. "I am not so foolish yet as to trust my cards completely... They have a way of saying one thing but meaning another. But I sought him out... And he was there!"

She clears her throat, making a hoarse noise, and becomes suddenly serious. "Very well, Dastan Grayson. But know that the cards show many things. They often do not tell us what we we wish to hear, but to shut our ears from that noise is folly."

Zellara draws out her deck, clearing a space at the table. Her hands move with surprisingly, almost supernatural, agility, as she spreads nine cards out over the table, their faces downwards. Zellara closes her eyes, breathing deeply as her hands hover over the cards, as though listening for some signal. Ponderously, trance-like, the fortune-teller chooses three of the nine, turning them over.

The first is a familiar card: The Demon's Lantern. "This is the past," Zellara intones. "The card tells me that the past is not ill, that it wishes to light the way, instead of obscuring it, to be a guide who arrives at the perfect moment..." She lets out a throaty chuckle. "Dare I say that this was my finding of Gaedren Lamm, and that I sought you out. But I do dare, and this bodes well..."

The second bears the image of a cloaked figure - gender, age, and even race are impossible to discern - standing, with thick mist all around, pressing in. It reads: The Lost. Zellara's face darkens as she sees it. "This is the present. The Lost wanderer may never be found again, or may be irrevocably changed... At best, it will be some time... I am sorry, Dastan Grayson. Pray for the Lost, but do not expect to find her again."

The third is has on its face the picture of a beautiful woman, white of skin and dark of hair. But this is a mask, you realize, held in front of the face of a monstrous, disfigured creature. It reads: the Courtesan. "This is the future. She is a woman of great power, who will shape the events to come. More than this, I cannot say, for I am neither god nor demon..."

The Harrowing completed, Zellara's body seems to slump, as though she has been exerting herself physically. "I trust that was illuminating," she says.

Jensi
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Zellara performs her Harrowing, you are only vaguely aware of this, as you look away, seeking Shelyn. Your mind drifts to a realm of soft, swirling colours and beautiful music, and you hear your goddess' voice in your head, one long, reverberating note. "Yes."
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-06-30 at 03:31 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin sighs at Dastan. "If the orphans matter so much to you, Dastan, I am able to incapacitate them without causing any harm, physical or mental. Just don't expect anyone to hold back on Gaedren himself."

He then turns to the rest of the group and smiles, "Oh, but how will we decide who gets to kill the bastard? I'm sure I am not the only one with that interest."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Illuminating... hardly. Atavian thinks as the underwhelmed feeling sinks into his heart. Divinations always seem to him the work of charlatans. The snakebite is horribly accurate, but the old crone could have gotten that information anywhere. Of course, the cyclone, the crows or even the lost could have fit him as well.

The halfling is still angry. He knows it is foolish to hold a grudge against her for not killing Lamm sooner, but it didn't make him feel any better. What was done was done. The task fell to his shoulders. He has to kill Lamm now; Tallox will be his blade.

At Aldrin's question, he perked up. "I don't want any chance for him to escape. I just want to see him die. Whoever lands the fatal blow, lands the fatal blow." He tossed his card back to the woman, "I say we prepare and go to this place. Are you leading us? Or are better directions in order?"

13. - Top - End - #43

"It is not far, not far at all. Cross the bridge to Endrin Isle, and go west along the docks until you find it."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to move things ahead. If anyone has more questions, ask them OOC and I'll answer them there based on what Zellara would know.

-----------------
    You set out after Gaedren Lamm, walking purposefully, an odd sight amongst the increasingly-rowdy celebrants outside. On the old woman's advice you arrive at the fishery just as the sun is beginning to set.

It can be found easily enough: following the smell of dead fish leads you to it in short order. The square structure -sixty feet on each side - seems to have been built entirely of wood, much of which has begun to rot, leaving the building in a ramshackle state.

It is built such that half the fishery is supported on stilts out over the water, while the other half sits on dry land. A set of double doors, above which hangs a weathered signpost without any corresponding sign, sits at the front end of the fishery's land-side, while a narrow boardwalk built over the water runs around the side of the building. These seem to be the only entry points.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard had stayed silent during the rest of the conversation with Zellara. The fencer had decided to trust the woman and her information, so instead of wasting any more time dwelling on that, he had turned his attention to the rest of his would be companions. His silent study continued all the way until the fishery (with only a brief pause to leave the Tyrant card face down on Zellara's table before leaving)

It'd seem that we have three options before us: We can either go all together from either the front or the back, or we can do a simultaneous approach from both sides. I don't think splitting our forces is a good idea, and I think that entering through the main door would be a mistake.

Dastan, do you think you can manage to get across that boardwalk with your armor?
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-07-01 at 01:00 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

As they are about to leave the old woman's place, Atavian mumbles awkwardly, "ummm, I need... uh, I need to get my... friend. He said he'd help me with Lamm. I'll be back soon." The halfling slips out from the group and works his way to a secluded space. Once he has a minute to himself, he focuses his attention on summoning Tallox.

Then, for a moment he hesitates. While he has done this a few times recently, the beyonder is still always... difficult. Sighing and bracing himself for whatever comes, he focuses again. The link between them - the bridge connecting their souls - brings Tallox back to Atavian's side. The symbols of flesh on both of their heads glow.

"Yes?" the enormous creature utters at once in its deep, sinister voice. His toothy maw clicks as his large eyes flit about. After a moment, he continues, "you don't seem in danger..."

Atavian hurriedly replies, "it's Lamm, the one who ruined me... I have a-" Atavian's tone suddenly shifts, "where is the cloak I gave you? Where is the mask?"

"Mortal! Your foolish need for cover yourself does not extend to a being such as me!" Tallox barks in reply.

"You need them - people might not abide your presence. They may attack you."

"And why would I care? They can do nothing to me."

"They can send you back and then kill me," Atavian lectures.

Tallox stares angrily at the halfling for several seconds. "Fine! Mortal, send me back, I'll grab your worthless items."

Tallox vanishes, leaving behind a light mist. The mark on Atavian's forehead fades. He rubs it. Stooping by his small pack, he draws out his hat and places it on his head. The hat covers the mark well. Tallox is a monster - Atavian knows this. The fear of how others might react to him is very real in his mind. He never wanted others to see... but... to get Lamm - was worth any risk.

The halfling formed the bridge again, a minute later Tallox was by his side - covered in the cloak and wearing the mask he had purchased for him. A casual observer would mistake him for a tall half-orc. Under the mask and hat, neither symbol could be seen.

"Good. You, me and some others are going to go kill Gaedren Lamm. The one who killed my friend, my parents... ruined everything! Just come with me and keep quiet... please!" Atavian choked the request.

Tallox breathed a guttural sigh. "Very well. Lead me to him. I will slaughter this Lamm."

Atavian returns to the others with an enormous cloaked man at his side. After approaching the group, Tallox immediately says, "which one is Lamm?"

"He's not here... these are the people accompanying us. They also hate Lamm. This is my... friend, Tallox." Atavian sighs hesitantly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Disguise: (1d20+4)[11]
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-06-30 at 11:49 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

"Tallox, was it? An odd name. It is convenient that he was so nearby, does he live around Lancet? Ah... no matter."

Aldrin turns to the cloaked stranger and asks, "So, Tallox, how exactly can you help us here? Do you have a weapon?"

While he has his suspicions about this new arrival, Aldrin decides not to ask anything beyond the relevant: How he can help with their goal? As much help as possible is needed when you want a slaughtered Lamm.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan:
    Dastan takes a good, long look at the wooden walkway, then replies, "It doesn't look particularly fragile. I should be fine. You think I should take the back entrance, then? It may be more useful to have someone... Faster in the rear, in case Lamm attempts to flee, might it not?" The suggestion is made hesitantly; his mentors at the Temple of Iomedae didn't educate him on tactics. He stares at the old fishery for a few moments, thinking back to Zellara's divination. I will not abandon hope, whatever her words. When Atavian returns, the Paladin nods respectfully and says, "Hate may be the wrong word, little friend. Welcome, nonetheless." He turns back to the fishery, his eyes looking like pools of molten gold in the reflected sunlight. "I confess, it is not easy to be patient with my quarry so close. Perhaps it is my father's blood... Let us make a decision quickly, lest we lose this opportunity." He digs into his backpack and removes a light halfhelm, which he settles on his head, then ties the straps tight and leaves it in a nearby alley.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard

Rennard looks at Dastan right in the eyes as he makes his suggestions. Until he speaks, it is not clear if he is pleased or annoyed at Dastan's comments; when he does, the fencer does not sound offended

I meant for all of us to go through the back entrance to have the initiative on our side. But you make a good point about cutting possible escape routes...

Rennard freezes for a few seconds, his face showing deep concentration as he evaluates possible scenarios. Maneuvers and counter-maneuvers flash through his mind. His answer to this problem solidifies in the same terms he would think of a bout at the Academy

Lunge while feinting to the side, force a sidestep, pivot and remis to the heart

Then, in a calm tone, the fencer explains his plan

If we can all make it over the boardwalk, we could take it down after we are on the other side, right before we attck. As we enter, we would move to cover any escape through the front door: We keep the element of surprise, we don't divide our numbers and, if Lamn evades our initial attack and tries to escape through the back, he'll fall right into a trap
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-07-01 at 07:45 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tallox says in a harsh, commanding tone, "I have no use for weapons, mor-"

Atavian interrupts him quickly, "Tallox is fine, lives around here and enjoys melee. As for the plan, taking down the boardwalk sounds like it would be needlessly loud and difficult. I think we should split the entrances, it's not that big of a building. Tallox, myself and two others on one side, the other three on the other side. We can crush them in a vise - no escape," the halfling looks at the structure carefully for a moment, "unless there is a water exit or something."

20. - Top - End - #50

Jensi

Jensi smiles at the half-orc named Tallox as he arrives, not remotely suspicious.

"Zellara said there were more than just Gaedren inside," Jensi adds absent-mindedly. "So we don't want to split up too much, do we?" he asks, a little plaintively. It's clear he doesn't want to end up alone with Gaedren.

"I'd rather not split up at all, actually, so I guess I think we should all go in the back entrance. If we do split up can we please all be careful?" He doesn't want anyone to die inside.
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2011-07-01 at 08:31 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

The fierce young woman puts in her two cents. "Splitting up is an excellent idea, especially if the second group delays a few seconds before entering. I say we send half of us loudly along the walkway to the back door. They may hear you coming but you want to face them up close either way. Once their attention is on the back door, we can burst through the front door and take them by surprise."
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

After Tallox's strong response, Aldrin simply smiles and says, "Right." He then considers what everyone else had suggested for a battle plan, and decides to try suggesting something they could all agree with.

"Jensi..." Aldrin starts off slowly, "Would you feel safe with Dastan and Tallox in front of you? You can stay in back if you like, with Atavian. You four would go across the boardwalk, while Rennard, myself, and this young lady who has yet to give us her name cut off any escape. Sound good?"
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-07-01 at 10:39 AM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

23. - Top - End - #53

Jensi

Jensi nods emphatically at Aldrin's suggestion. "I would feel much safer with Dastan in front of me," he says merrily. "Paladins are good at fighting." Then he jumps a bit, remembering Atavian's new friend. Even though he finds the man more a little intimidating, he adds, slightly apologetic: "oh, and I'm sure Tallox is a good fighter too!"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan
    The Paladin nods to Jensi. "I would be happy to be your shield, disciple of the Eternal Rose." He glances at Tallox for a moment, thinking A half-orc? No, not with that voice. I must remember to ask, after the day's work is done. He looks back at the fishery, the fingers of his right hand curling and uncurling in impatience. Finally, he latches onto the unnamed woman's plan. "Good, then I'll take Jensi, Atavian and Tallox through the back. I can assure you, I will have the criminals' complete attention. Aldrin, I would appreciate it if you do make the effort to keep any children you see unharmed. They are innocents, forced into a life of crime against their will. May the Sword-Light guide your arms today, that justice is served." His hand on the pommel of his longsword, he begins heading for the boardwalk.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

The sorcerer smirks as Dastan walks off toward the boardwalk. "Well he sure is a spirited one. If no one has any objections to the plan, then we may as well get in position, yes?"

He heads off to look for a good hiding place, and then stops and turns around to face the rest of the group. "Good luck to you all. Stay safe, Jensi."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Well, that seems settled. If we are to make a lot of noise should we try to knock the boardwalk down then?" As he speaks, Atavian draws his crossbow and loads it.

27. - Top - End - #57

With a plan agreed upon, the group moves into position.

Aldrin, Kalinda, and Rennard remain thoroughly out of sight of anyone in the fishery who should be looking, about 20 feet from the main doors behind a fisherman's cart. The smell of fish guts is unpleasant to even the most hardened of noses, but it serves.

Meanwhile, Dastan, Atavian, Tallox, and Jensi move along the boardwalk. The rotting planks creak alarmingly as you set foot on it, and it is a ten foot drop into the waters below.

Aldrin, Kalindra, and Rennard
    Spoiler
    Show
    From your hidden position, you have a line of sight to the doors, if one marred by the bars of the fish-cart. After about 30 seconds of waiting, the doors creak open, and you see a ratty looking gnome with shocks of red hair and an unruly goatee prodding five children along. "Move, whelps," he says with a cackle. "And be back by daybreak or your little friends..." He draws a finger across his throat. Striking a blonde girl across the back of her head, he forces them to move. They scuttle off in every direction.

Dastan, Atavian, and Jensi
    Spoiler
    Show
    The boardwalk runs along the side of the fishery - this part was visible to you during your inspection from the street. It then turns, following the fishery wall around the back. You are now over the water fully; looking down, you see white foam splashing against the shore and support pillars. Perhaps more importantly, though, is that there is a doorway into the fishery thirty feet away.

From inside the walls of the fishery, you hear raised voices.

"I heard somethin' outside, mate. Bleedin' creaky planks."

"I didn' here anythin'... You're just scared 'cause them guards almost got ya, and 'cause of that one the boss caught outside last week."

"Shut up, you bastards," a deep voice interjects. "Both of you, check it. If its one of those little runts loose again, you know what to do."
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-07-01 at 12:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian breathes heavily, backs up and positions his bow to fire. He is trembling a bit, but Tallox's movements bring him comfort. The enormous creature walks directly up to the door, tosses his mask to the ground and braces himself for the moment the door opens. With a quick utterance and a cross of his limbs, a mist-like armor drapes Tallox under the massive cloak.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Mage Armor on Tallox
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-07-01 at 01:03 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Spoiler
    Show
    [B]SanguinePenguin, is Tallox readying an action? That was sort of implied in your post.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I suppose readying full attack (possibly 5ft step as well) against whoever opens the door. I think that is legal. Otherwise, he is just standing there.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-07-01 at 01:40 PM.