New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 54 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

Jensi

Thanking Dastan profusely, Jensi hurries after the fast-disappearing criminal. Still, he doesn't want to fall again! He moves more carefully this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jensi will just move one space this time around.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

2. - Top - End - #722
    Troll in the Playground

With Jensi safe, Dastan nods in acknowledgement of his thanks and turns back to the chase. Seeing his quarry escaping, Dastan grunts in frustration. He managed to prevent Jensi from coming to any serious harm, but in the process he's alowing her to get away. He unstraps his shield and allows it to fall to the rooftops, reasoning that it's only getting in his way at this point and then hurries after his allies hoping to catch up with the chase in progress.

Spoiler
    Show

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm going to try risking a 2-area Full Move and hope that I can roll that critical 15 or more on the Acrobatics check. I'll use all of my remaining Chase Points if necessary, no need to leave them unused. Besides, everyone else has rolled horribly. Somebody's bound to get some degree of luck here.

DC10 Acrobatics: (1d20-5)[2]
    Reroll 1: (1d20-5)[8]
    Reroll 2: (1d20-5)[15]
    Reroll 3: (1d20-5)[13]

I need to use 2 Chase Points to succeed. Still have one left in reserve. Oh, and I passed it with a natural 20 too. Nifty.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2011-11-07 at 02:42 AM.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rennard leads the way across the rooftops, leaping and bounding at a breathtaking pace. He is closely followed by Aldrin and Atavian, who likewise run at full tilt along slippery, precipitous roofs. Dastan throws down his shield and makes a truly heroic effort, gaining ground on the escaping Trinia, even in his plate armour. Jensi takes up the rear, cautious after his close call with the ground.

Atavian's eagles swoop down on Trinia. One of them manages to tear across her smooth skin with its talon, but the others' swooping attacks are avoided.

Round 3:

Trinia is panting, eyes wide, face red from exertion. The eagles obviously scare her, and now her pursuers are close behind. She musters her strength and continues her attempted escape, weaving through a pair of shanties, then sprinting across the flat, long roof of the warehouse.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

DCs
    Spoiler
    Show
    1: Jump DC 15 or Climb DC 15.

2: Acrobatics 15, Spot 15.

3: Acrobatics 10, Jump 15.

4: Climb DC 20, Knowledge (local) DC 15.

5: Jump DC 25, Spot DC 10.

6: Climb DC 20, Acrobatics DC 20.

7: Escape Artist DC 10, Acrobatics DC 20.

8: Reflex Save DC 15, Reflex Save DC 20 (note: use DC 20 only when attempting to move three areas from area 8.)

9: Jump DC 20, Acrobatics DC 15.

10: Climb DC 10, Escape Artist DC 15.

11: Knowledge (local) DC 10, Spot DC 15.

12: Knowledge (architecture and engineering) DC 10, Acrobatics DC 15.
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin carefully crosses across the rooftops to get within casting distance of the escaping Trinia. Even though he wasn't sure of her guilt, they needed to question her, and if that meant injuring her, then so be it.

He casts his signature spell, sending a blast of sonic energy toward the young woman. Hopefully this would be able to incapacitate her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to 7

Ear-Piercing Scream, how I love you.

DC 17 fortitude save or she is dazed.

(2d6)[9] damage. Half on a save.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-11-07 at 02:09 PM.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

Hoping that either Aldrin's spell or Atavian's creatures succed in delaying Trinia, the fencer analyzes the area and comes up with a shortcut that would allow him to catch up with the woman.

As he runs towards a ledge, the bladebound magus infuses his blade with his arcane power

I am ready Bonded communicates the blade, excitement in her voice. It seemed the rapier was enjoying the thrill of the chase...

With determination, Rennard leaps through the rooftops to close the gap between him and the suspect

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swift: Activate Arcane Pool
    Rennard will move 2 cards to area #8
    Acrobatics - (1d20+16)[23] (vs DC 20) (add +10 if Jump spell applies)

Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP= 28/28, AC=14
    Arcane pool = 6/7
    Chase points=3/3
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-11-07 at 07:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Troll in the Playground

Having gained some ground with his dash to catch up with the others, Dastan continues wordlessly running at full tilt after the fleeing fugitive. It might not be the safest or most advisable action in his heavy armour, he is entirely unwilling to give up the chase just yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Full-round move two squares to area 7, using the Spot check. Otherwise, nothing too eventful.

DC10 Spot: (1d20+6)[14]

I'll use that last Chase Point to reroll if I fail. Hopefully not an issue, since I only need to roll a 4, but you never know.
    Reroll: (1d20+6)[22]
    Edit: Reroll not needed.
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2011-11-08 at 03:11 AM.

7. - Top - End - #727

Jensi

Jensi continues on cautiously. He can barely even see the fleeing form of Trinia Sabor as she darts amidst shacks and chimneys. As he continues at his relatively leisurely pace, the oracle makes sure to get a good look at the city from the heights. We've already stopped lots of criminals, but how often are you allowed to walk on rooves?

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think there's any chance that Jensi will be catching up to Ms. Sabor, so he'll just move forwards 1 space.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian rushes forward and magically drops a layer of grease at Trinia's feet. the trio of eagles continues to assault the poor woman amidst a flurry of wingbeats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move 1, cast Grease DC 16

Eagle 1 Attack: (1d20+5)[7] Dam: (1d4+2)[4]
    Eagle 2 Attack: (1d20+5)[14] Dam: (1d4+2)[4]
    Eagle 3 Attack: (1d20+5)[14] Dam: (1d4+2)[6]

Eagle 1 AoO: (1d20+5)[9] Dam: (1d4+2)[3]
    Eagle 2 AoO: (1d20+5)[22] Dam: (1d4+2)[5]
    Eagle 3 AoO: (1d20+5)[18] Dam: (1d4+2)[5]

9. - Top - End - #729

Jensi takes up the rear, struggling to make up the ground he has lost on Trinia and his friends. Up ahead, Dastan, Aldrin, and Atavian close much of the distance, with only the rooftop shanties separating Trinia from them. The two spellcasters launch a salvo of incapacitating spells; the agile woman keeps her feet in the Grease but clutches her ears and screams as Aldrin's spell assails her senses. Atavian's eagles swoop overhead, but do not connect with Trinia. Rennard leaps forwards, now mere feet away from his target.

Spoiler
    Show
    She's dazed.

Round 2

Trinia remains stuporous from the effects of Aldrin's magic.

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

Area DCs
    Spoiler
    Show
    1: Jump DC 15 or Climb DC 15.

2: Acrobatics 15, Spot 15.

3: Acrobatics 10, Jump 15.

4: Climb DC 20, Knowledge (local) DC 15.

5: Jump DC 25, Spot DC 10.

6: Climb DC 20, Acrobatics DC 20.

7: Escape Artist DC 10, Acrobatics DC 20.

8: Reflex Save DC 15, Reflex Save DC 20 (note: use DC 20 only when attempting to move three areas from area 8.)

9: Jump DC 20, Acrobatics DC 15.

10: Climb DC 10, Escape Artist DC 15.

11: Knowledge (local) DC 10, Spot DC 15.

12: Knowledge (architecture and engineering) DC 10, Acrobatics DC 15.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian encroaches forward at a leisurely pace loading his crossbow. Meanwhile, the eagles swarm the dazed woman. A flurry of feathers, beaks and claws barrage her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Atavian move foward 1 spot

EAGLE FULL ATTACKS - CAW CAW CAW
    Eagle 1 Talon 1: (1d20+5)[16] Dam: (1d4+2)[4]
    Talon 2: (1d20+5)[6] Dam: (1d4+2)[6]
    Beak: (1d20+5)[24] Dam: (1d4+2)[4]

Eagle 2 Talon 1: (1d20+5)[19] Dam: (1d4+2)[3]
    Talon 2: (1d20+5)[9] Dam: (1d4+2)[3]
    Beak: (1d20+5)[19] Dam: (1d4+2)[3]

Eagle 3 Talon 1: (1d20+5)[6] Dam: (1d4+2)[4]
    Talon 2: (1d20+5)[7] Dam: (1d4+2)[3]
    Beak: (1d20+5)[10] Dam: (1d4+2)[6]

Eagle 1 AoO: (1d20+5)[7] Dam: (1d4+2)[6]
    Eagle 2 AoO: (1d20+5)[7] Dam: (1d4+2)[3]
    Eagle 3 AoO: (1d20+5)[7] Dam: (1d4+2)[5]

Edit: Seriously? Of 12 attack rolls, half are 2 or below. The hells die roller...
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-11-09 at 10:30 AM.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Troll in the Playground

"TRINIA!" Aldrin yells, trying to close the gap between them. "We don't want to hurt you if possible. I know you have no reason to believe us, but..."

The sorcerer looks at the eagles ripping her flesh as she stood nearly helpless. "Please," he starts in a soft tone, one he has not used in a very long time. "I don't think you're a killer. Can we talk?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to 8. Not sure it will work, but Aldrin will try a diplomacy check.

(1d20+10)[26]

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

12. - Top - End - #732
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing that Aldrin is trying to reason with the fugitive, the fencer withholds his blade.

Rennard simply moves around the battlefield and positions himself as to cut off any means of escape. In the back of his mind, the magus readies the spell he had obtained after the events in the butcher's shop when he realized that more subtle magic might be needed to capture a foe alive

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Cut off Trinia from moving forwards (i.e best position to get an AoO if she tries to escape). Preferably, Rennard will try to get a flanking bonus from the eagles

Ready Action: Cast frostbite
    (EDIT: Just to clarify, cast frostbite if Trinia tries to escape or attack the party)
    TouchAttack - (1d20+6)[12] (+2 if flanking)
    NonlethalDamage - (1d6+3)[5]
    Target is Fatigued

If she provokes an AoO, Rennard will attempt to trip Trinia (provoking an AoO on himself)
    CMB - (1d20+3)[21] (+3 if weapon enchantments/traits apply) (+2 if flanking)

Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP= 28/28, AC=14
    Arcane pool = 6/7
    Chase points=3/3
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-11-09 at 11:03 AM.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

At Aldrin's attempt to elicit surrender, Atavian shouts in celestial, "<eagles, pull back!>" The three birds move up a few feet, momentarily out of her face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eagles, 5ft step... up... wait, that doesn't sound right.

14. - Top - End - #734

Trinia looks frantically around for some way of escaping, but with Atavian's celestial birds circling above, and Rennard closing in, she silently puts her hands up, holding them at shoulder height, with palms out. "I surrender..." she says, her voice cracking as she tries to hold back tears. On that count, she fails; she takes long, shuddering sobs as you gather around her. "I... I didn't... do it... I... she takes a deep breath, which helps a little. "E-everyone's s-saying horrible things a-a-about me. T-t-that I... murdered the King... But I didn't! No one b-believes me!" Her speech is punctuated by sobs, and stammering, and her heart-shaped face is streaked with tears.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Troll in the Playground

"We need to find somewhere safe, and have Dastan or Jensi heal her up." Aldrin looks to the streets below, and thinks about a good location they can take her. The Citadel would be the most secure, but he doubts Kroft and her men would be willing to hear the woman out first.

"I think Zellara's house may be our best bet. We need to move fast. Trinia, stay with us, we may be your only chance." Not heeding anyone else's opinion on what they should do with the woman, Aldrin begins looking for a way to descend from the rooftops.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to disagree or suggest a different course of action. Aldrin is just a bit frantic right now.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

16. - Top - End - #736

Jensi

Jensi catches up to his companions quickly once the chase has stopped. He bites his lower lip, looking concerned, when he sees Trinia crying. He's not sure whether he is supposed to be nice to the prisoners. Hearing Trinia's tearful denial of the accusations against her, and Aldrin's quick acceptance of it, Jensi breaks into a smile.

"It's alright!" Jensi says happily, grinning. "I believe you didn't do it, since you seem nice and killing the king to make the whole city go into chaos doesn't seem very nice. So you don't need to cry!" He pats the fugitive on the back. "Aldrin is really smart - if he says to go to Zellara's house then I think that's a good plan!"

Before he forgets, and while he's still patting her back, Jensi mends some of her wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jensi will cast two Cure Light Wounds spells on Trinia.

CLW#1: (1d8+3)[9]
    CLW#2: (1d8+3)[4]
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2011-11-09 at 07:45 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

In the back of his head, Rennard feels the black blade's mood turn from righteous anger to pity and compassion

Poor thing!

Keep your guard up, this might be an act warns the magus with a cold tone

Can't you see her pain?
    Reve's voice sounds accusatory, but there is also something else in it besides empathy: The blade is worried about her master's cold demeanor

... the fencer does not know what to say (or think)

You can! Oh, I'm so happy! the rapier sounds relieved

The duelist is at a loss at his weapon's mood swings, but composes himself quickly. Deciding agree with the sorcerer's plan, Rennard raises only one small condition

I agree with Aldrin. Though it would be most efficient for her to prove her willingness to collaborate by giving up that stunning wand she used on me.

To Trinia, the magus specifies It will be returned to you upon a satisfactory defense against the charges against you. It is just too high of a risk in the cost benefit to have you handling a weapon that you can use against us for your escape

18. - Top - End - #738
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing that his quarry has stopped fleeing and surrendered, Dastan slows down and covers the remaining distance more carefully, picking his way along the rooftop. As he walks towards Trinia, he addresses her. "We did offer you a chance to stop and explain yourself, ma'am. Now, I'm going to have to ask you to hand over all of your weapons as well as that wand, and I will need to bind your arms. I am sorry, but you have attempted to flee once already, and we cannot allow you to leave until we have confirmed your role, or lack thereof, in the death of the King." He then begins doing what he can to collect her weapons and begins binding her arms with a length of rope from his pack. "As to our destination, I must respectfully disagree. We should take her directly to the Citadel; regardless of what we believe, this woman remains a wanted suspect of the city watch and the Hellknights. I agree that we should assume she is innocent until we have proof of her guilt, but we should bring her to the proper authorities regardless." He turns back to Trinia, his tone calm and comforting. "If you are willing to share your story on the way, I would appreciate it. If you have any information that might lead to the king's true killer, I promise we will act on it immediately. The sooner we solve this crime, the sooner you will be cleared of suspicion."

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, while Dastan does tend to be pretty hands-on when it comes to justice, trying to completely circumvent the law and hide a wanted fugitive is not going to go over well with him. Yes, she might be innocent (it's easy to pass the Detect Evil exam, though. A first level spell that's available to just about every spellcaster does it automatically for 24 hours, and if she's capable of using a wand of Daze she can have Undetectable Alignment), but that doesn't change the fact that she's a murder suspect wanted by the legitimate authorities. We should get what we can out of her, turn her over to Kroft and then do what we can with any information she gives us, IMO.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, and the Hellknights are going to give her a hug and cookies upon hearing her side of the story. Reve says inside of her master's mind with dripping sarcasm

Realizing that Rennard's logic was inclined to agree with the paladin, the blade presses her argument

If Trinia didn't kill the king, there must be someone at work behind the scene trying to pin the blame on her. Taking her directly to the Citadel would be the equivalent of a death sentence. with an icy tone that denotes a cold rage, the black blade adds Bonded, if you are going to execute her, at least be merciful enough to do it here and not add the shame she will go through in the mock trial she'll receive

Not sure why, but the duelist wants to placate the rapier's ire

Dastan, by bringing her to the Citadel before we ascertain if there is someone there that will condemn her no matter if she is guilty or not, we could be putting an innocent life in terrible danger. Logically, we need all the information we can obtain before making a decision of this caliber

Trying to make a concession that would make the paladin more agreeable to the proposition, the magus adds
    Give us one hour to find a safe place and for Trinia to tell us her story. If you want to bring her to the Citadel after that, I'll help you transport her

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian interjects. "I agree with Dastan on this... oddly enough," he adds under his breath. "We hear her story on the way, but - whether her story is believable or not - we need to turn her over to the citadel. We can't guard her and we can't protect her either. The citadel can do both of these things. Perhaps we could get her to Kroft discreetly - if she is aware that we suspect Trinia is a patsy and we're pursuing other leads, maybe she can hold her with as few people knowing as possible and certainly delay conviction."
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-11-10 at 05:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #741

Jensi

The whole discussion of machinations goes completely over Jensi's head. "But... but, she said she didn't do it, so why wouldn't we just let her go?" Still puzzled, he continues. "If we bring her to the Citadel, they'll let her go once she tells them she's innocent. So I guess that it wouldn't be a problem for her to see Cressida first, would it? But then, Cressida is nice, so I don't know if she'd want us to bring Trinia all the way to the Citadel only to let her go again. It's a long walk," he concludes matter-of-factly. Then he bursts into a silly grin again, apparently pleased with his attempt to reason through possible courses of action.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

"We don't have time for this now," Aldrin says, very annoyed. "They're looking for her everywhere, so can we leave? I doubt the Citadel is going to give her any fair treatment, so if we want to find out what really happened here, we're going to have to take matters into our own hands."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

23. - Top - End - #743
    Troll in the Playground

I agree with Aldrin. We need to move. And we need more information. Taking her to the Citadel is a one way ticket. Let us go to Zellara's first

24. - Top - End - #744
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan glances in confusion at Rennard and Aldrin. "Why do you suspect that she will be the subject of injustive at the Citadel? The Field Marshall has never been anything but honest and honourable to my knowledge, and I cannot imagine her punishing this woman without proof of her involvement in the crime, nor can I imagine the Queen ordering her to do so with the evidence we have so far. I simply see no reason to take this into our own hands, when the legitimate authority of this city is capable of doing so. More importantly, half of this city would gladly lynch her given the chance; would you rather she be taken by the mobs, or worse the Hellknights? She will be safest at the Citadel, and that is where we should take her."

25. - Top - End - #745
    Troll in the Playground

I agree with you on principle, hence I had mentioned a very limited time period to decide what to do with her. And even though I do trust the Field Marshal, the fencer, remembering his master's position, makes a tacit comment by omitting the Queen we cannot be sure that all of the authorities will be as trustworthy. The masked man in the butcher shop all those days ago seemed to served some wealthy, and very likely powerful, masters that could be involved with the demise of the king and the unjust accusation of an innocent

One hour,repeats the fencer then I will agree to your judgement

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian shakes his head, "no, we need to go to Kroft. You have suspicions she's a patsy... but what if she isn't? If it is uncovered that we were harboring the King's assassin, even briefly - that could fall on us. What if in that hour, she ensorcels us and escapes? What if she is lynched by someone who wants her dead? The best course is to Kroft. We tell Kroft our suspicions and ask for time. No fanfare or ruckus, no nobles or Hellknights - just discreet."

27. - Top - End - #747
    Troll in the Playground

"Why don't we just talk with her first," Aldrin nearly uncharacteristically pleads. "And then we can decide how we wish to proceed. We aren't the mindless lackeys of the Citadel or of the Quuen, and I believe it is fully within our right to question someone who we apprehended.

He's biting very hard into his lip, and does not notice when a tiny droplet of blood trickles down. Can he really tell them his selfish reasons for not wanting to bring Trinia in to the Citadel? He quickly decides to continue to remain silent, fairly certain that Dastan would not agree with his decision to manipulate the legal system.

"Please. Can we just speak with her before making any decisions?"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

28. - Top - End - #748

Jensi

Jensi looks profoundly confused, his head spinning back and forth between his companions as they present their arguments. His brow is furrowed as he tries to think. I don't understand why they think Cressida or the Queen would hurt Trinia unless she did something bad. They were both so nice to us! And I don't understand what the harm in asking Trinia some questions first is...

Be calm, for you are wise to seek clarity. Who can truly pass judgement? Is this not the province of the divine? Do not be quick to condemn a soul.

I don't understand. Should we let her go?

You must do as you believe. A life may be in your hands - this is not something to throw away lightly.

Jensi blinks, pulled back to reality as the musical voice in his head fades. Frowning slightly and looking pensively at Trinia, he starts to speak, slowly and deliberately. "I think... well, a life is in our hands and we can't throw that away lightly. We need to, er, seek clarity first. So I think we need to talk to her first!" Turning to Dastan and Atavian, he continues resolutely. "If we ask our questions and still think that she should go to the Citadel, we can do that afterwards."
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian looks about, unhappy only the paladin agrees with him, "Aldrin, it's a fine line between questioning someone we've apprehended and not turning that person over to the authorities in a timely fashion. If she wasn't accused of regicide, perhaps I'd be fine with a little delay."

"It's a long walk - we can ask our questions on the way to the citadel. If it's a long story, then we can walk slowly. She could tell us the best story in the world which obviously clears her of all wrong doing, but I will still insist she be brought to the citadel. She is believed to be the assassin, whether or not she is, we cannot let her go and we cannot harbor her. I'm not about to do something which could be regarded as treason simply because you believe her when she says that she didn't kill the king."
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-11-11 at 04:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing that neither the paladin nor the summoner were willing to go along with the plan proposed by Aldrin, Rennard decides to change his vote

I think this is a mistake, but it would be worst to just waste time here, where everyone can see us. Let us go back to the Citadel.

But, if we do so, let us at least disguise her so she will not be recognized as we take her to Kroft, minimizing her - and our - risk while transporting her.

After thinking for a few seconds, the duelist asks

May I suggest that we make her pass as Kalinda? Having her pretend to be someone that has already visited the Field Marshall with the rest of us will probably bring less suspicions

At the instance of his sword, the magus tells the terrified woman

Field Marhsall Kroft has been very fair in all our dealings with her so far. It is very likely that no harm will come to you from her if your innocence is true. Cooperating with us now is your most beneficial option.